you are truly amazing !
Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #2152
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Awesome stuff!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #2153
britrock88
Pro Starter

To commemorate Brian's latest patch, I spent most of today working something up that I hope will add value to the game.

The attached files are the NCAA setup for the 1974-75 season, the first season that concluded with a 32-team tournament. It's a pretty fun setup, with nascent power conferences, lots of zero-prestige newcomers, and a TON of independent teams (89). The time-intensive part of this was the prestige calculation, which is notable because 1) it's a funky, right-skewed distribution, with a mean of about 20 and a standard deviation of about 15; 2) UCLA is in the 90s and UNC (in the 60s) is the next closest team; 3) I'm a moron and did the work by hand in Excel and only saved the results. That said, it's a 10-year rating based on NCAA and NIT titles, Final Fours, and appearances; AP rankings during and after the season; and winning records in conference and overall (with a slight adjustment for independents who did not have the benefit of conference play).

With one test season, I see no RTEs, and I hope you all will enjoy the world of challenges this can open up. All I ask is that nobody write a Golden Scribe-caliber dynasty from this league data without attributing my legwork.

[Specific points:
- the East Coast Conference was wacky in real life; I scrapped the 7/5 divisional split and used a single-RR, 11-game schedule. Also, I couldn't find their tournament format (though I know they held one), so I went with a 12-team tourney.
- UL-Lafayette was on the 2nd year of a 2-year death penalty in 74/75, but I left them in the game.
- in including/excluding teams, I consulted sports-reference.com and the NCAA's official record book, which occasionally conflicted; when they did, I made a broader search to ascertain what I thought was correct.]

PS -- turn 3-pointers off!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 1974conf.csv (1.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: csv 1974teams.csv (20.5 KB, 7 views)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #2154
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
To commemorate Brian's latest patch, I spent most of today working something up that I hope will add value to the game.

The attached files are the NCAA setup for the 1974-75 season, the first season that concluded with a 32-team tournament. It's a pretty fun setup, with nascent power conferences, lots of zero-prestige newcomers, and a TON of independent teams (89). The time-intensive part of this was the prestige calculation, which is notable because 1) it's a funky, right-skewed distribution, with a mean of about 20 and a standard deviation of about 15; 2) UCLA is in the 90s and UNC (in the 60s) is the next closest team; 3) I'm a moron and did the work by hand in Excel and only saved the results. That said, it's a 10-year rating based on NCAA and NIT titles, Final Fours, and appearances; AP rankings during and after the season; and winning records in conference and overall (with a slight adjustment for independents who did not have the benefit of conference play).

With one test season, I see no RTEs, and I hope you all will enjoy the world of challenges this can open up. All I ask is that nobody write a Golden Scribe-caliber dynasty from this league data without attributing my legwork.

[Specific points:
- the East Coast Conference was wacky in real life; I scrapped the 7/5 divisional split and used a single-RR, 11-game schedule. Also, I couldn't find their tournament format (though I know they held one), so I went with a 12-team tourney.
- UL-Lafayette was on the 2nd year of a 2-year death penalty in 74/75, but I left them in the game.
- in including/excluding teams, I consulted sports-reference.com and the NCAA's official record book, which occasionally conflicted; when they did, I made a broader search to ascertain what I thought was correct.]

Very cool. Will check this out. Thanks for the hard work.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-22-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #2155
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

HR, would it ever be possible to make it so human HCs can take their assistants with them when they move to a new program?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #2156
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
HR, would it ever be possible to make it so human HCs can take their assistants with them when they move to a new program?

That should happen now. That not working for you? The only time it doesn't is when an assistant takes over as a head coach at a different program. The other guys should still transfer over with you to your new team.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #2157
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

[Specific points:

I am so looking forward to trying this out. Thanks for taking the time out to do this britrock
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #2158
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
That should happen now. That not working for you? The only time it doesn't is when an assistant takes over as a head coach at a different program. The other guys should still transfer over with you to your new team.

In our multiplayer league in the interest of not dragging out head coaching changes for a week I run all HC rounds with no changes just to generate the long list of cascading offers that come through during the course of the entire process, and then everyone can choose what to do with those offers, then I manually move the head coaches around. So its never done via the "Accept Job" interface. That would explain why in our league its not happening.

Although... if its standard that the assistants always follow I can start making that happen via the editor pretty easily I think.

no idea or comment on what's happening in single player tho.

Last edited by Radii : 01-23-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #2159
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post

I didn't know that. I will take a look for it in solo play, as I never realized it would work like that. I know it happens with AI coaches automatically, but I never saw it with human coaches even up through the last version. And it doesn't happen online for sure. That's all. But I'll look more closely.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #2160
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I didn't know that. I will take a look for it in solo play, as I never realized it would work like that. I know it happens with AI coaches automatically, but I never saw it with human coaches even up through the last version. And it doesn't happen online for sure. That's all. But I'll look more closely.
Whenever I've accepted a new coaching job, my assistants are automatically hired along with me. Someones one of them then immediately takes a head coaching job somewhere else, but they all start off going with me.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #2161
korme
Go Reds

It'd be interesting to import the accurate coaches into that '74-75 file, and begin introducing coaches when their careers started with the editor... Mike Krzyzewski was an assistant at Indiana and head coach starting in '75.

Maybe even edit the future recruits and say make the top 15 guys the best of those classes.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #2162
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
It'd be interesting to import the accurate coaches into that '74-75 file, and begin introducing coaches when their careers started with the editor... Mike Krzyzewski was an assistant at Indiana and head coach starting in '75.

Maybe even edit the future recruits and say make the top 15 guys the best of those classes.

Interesting possibilities... not the kind of thing I would want to work on, exactly, but it'd be a great addition.

If/when I do something to supplement these files, it'll probably be a spreadsheet laying out when schools joined/left D1, when schools joined/left conferences, when conferences formed/dissolved/split, etc. To add value to that, I might try to divine the reasoning behind the moves and categorize the moves by their reasons. (A vague sentence, but take this as a simple example: in addition to noting that the ACC adds Syracuse and Pitt for 2014/15, I would add the notation that the ACC took on the 2 Big East teams with the highest prestige and a football team.) Hopefully, the product would reflect the literal moves and their underlying purposes.

Last edited by britrock88 : 01-24-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #2163
korme
Go Reds

I also considered the historical implications of conference movement, and the virtual reality as it related to my future career's tangible team success
Old 01-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #2164
korme
Go Reds

I'm using Windows 7, and when I try to unzip the patch, I get a popup saying Access Is Denied. I'm under my user account that says I am an administrator, so I don't know why access would be denied. Anyone smarter than me want to help me out?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #2165
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm using Windows 7, and when I try to unzip the patch, I get a popup saying Access Is Denied. I'm under my user account that says I am an administrator, so I don't know why access would be denied. Anyone smarter than me want to help me out?

Open it through winrar or winzip as an administrator. Windows 7 is a real pain.

Make sure you unzip it into the correct location as well(program files(x86)). The default for windows 7 isnt correct. It is a lot trickier than it needs to be.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-26-2012 at 04:17 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #2166
korme
Go Reds

britrock, the East Coast Conference 11 game schedule keeps giving me a run-time error.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #2167
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I like the idea of the Mid-major poll, and seeing my Monmouth team at #2.

However, the 'Others Receiving Votes" includes 0-9 Oakland and 0-10 College of Charleston.

Needs a tweak, IMO.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #2168
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I redid the code for both polls. I just haven't had a chance to post it yet.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #2169
Izulde
Head Coach

Brian, does that include adjusting for Zeroed Out dynasties?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #2170
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Both amazing and awesome, Brian. Nice work too, britrock.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #2171
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Open it through winrar or winzip as an administrator. Windows 7 is a real pain.

Make sure you unzip it into the correct location as well(program files(x86)). The default for windows 7 isnt correct. It is a lot trickier than it needs to be.

Thanks, that did the trick. Seem to run into this problem all the time, it's quite annoying
Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #2172
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
britrock, the East Coast Conference 11 game schedule keeps giving me a run-time error.

What version are you running?

(BTW, this was one conference I had to fudge because of how strangely it played out in real life. 7 teams were in the East and played a single round-robin within the division, and the 5 teams in the West did the same. So if you're not a stickler for my improvised detail, go with any small number of conference games that FBCB will let you use.)

Last edited by britrock88 : 01-26-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #2173
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
I redid the code for both polls. I just haven't had a chance to post it yet.

Excellent, thank you once again.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #2174
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
What version are you running?

(BTW, this was one conference I had to fudge because of how strangely it played out in real life. 7 teams were in the East and played a single round-robin within the division, and the 5 teams in the West did the same. So if you're not a stickler for my improvised detail, go with any small number of conference games that FBCB will let you use.)

The latest patch from heavyreign. It gives me an error every time I go into the editor.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #2175
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
The latest patch from heavyreign. It gives me an error every time I go into the editor.

Hrmph. I wish I could tell you I know what is going on. If you're willing to entertain another workaround:

Open the conf.csv file in Excel, change the ECC's conference games to 0, and save the file. Then see if you can get into the editor.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #2176
korme
Go Reds

britrock, had to edit the ECC schedule and the two conferences that had only 6 teams... was crashing. It seems all good now though. Just a heads up
Old 01-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #2177
korme
Go Reds

Any coaches I should add to my coach file before I start the '74 season? Any significant names I'm leaving off the list? I've got

John Wooden, UCLA
Bob Knight, Indiana
Denny Crum, Louisville
Lefty Driessell, Maryland
Dean Smith, UNC
John Thompson, Georgetown
Jim Valvano, Bucknell
Digger Phelps, ND
Jud Heathcote, Montana
Mike Krzyzewski, Indiana (asst.)
Jim Larranaga, Davidson (asst.)
Fran Dunphy, Army (asst.)
Gary Williams, Boston College (asst.)
Don Haskins, UTEP
Bobby Cremins, South Carolina (asst.)
Norm Sloan, NC State
Rollie Massimino, Villanova
Joe B. Hall, Kentucky
Rick Pitino, Hawaii (asst.)
Rick Majerus, Marquette (asst.)
John Chaney, none*
Jim Boeheim, Syracuse (asst.)
Jim Calhoun, Northeastern
Eddie Sutton, Arkansas
Jim Harrick, Utah State (asst.)
Lou Henson, New Mexico State
Ray Meyer, DePaul

*was coaching at Cheney State, so since he was already coaching at a college I added him

I can upload the file if anyone wants it, the ratings are completely subjective and can be edited as anyone wishes. I also gave a few of the coaches some specific coaching styles that I am aware of.

Also, it won't let me edit the career wins & losses, or I'd have that information as well.

Last edited by korme : 01-27-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #2178
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
britrock, had to edit the ECC schedule and the two conferences that had only 6 teams... was crashing. It seems all good now though. Just a heads up

Thanks for the heads-up. Again, I wish I could replicate this problem and figure it out. Would anyone else who messes around with the 1974 file let me know if these problems recur?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #2179
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

A few guys that come to mind:

Marv Harshman, Washington

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_Harshman

Ralph Miller, Oregon State

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Miller

Lute Olsen, Long Beach State

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lute_Olsen

Jerry Tarkanian, UNLV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Tarkanian

Norm Stewart, Missouri

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Stewart

Guy Lewis, Houston

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Lewis

Billy Tubbs, North Texas (Assistant)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Tubbs
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #2180
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Is there a way to view single game or overall records for the tournaments? I don't think so, but just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #2181
Balldog
Pro Rookie

How are you going to rate the coaches in the '74 file? that is what I was struggling with.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #2182
korme
Go Reds

Can't believe I skipped over Lute Olson and Jerry Tarkanian. Had them in the original I was doing, but it got erased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
How are you going to rate the coaches in the '74 file? that is what I was struggling with.

Pretty highly. Even the assistants like Pitino rated super high aren't getting head coaching jobs quickly. It still depends on the performance on the team they are coaching.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #2183
Flasch186
Coordinator

I just bought this and the game does some weird window thing where I cant click on anything and the game doesnt take up the whole window....any ideas? Its not rendering properly I believe. Win 7

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-28-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #2184
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Brian, does that include adjusting for Zeroed Out dynasties?

The massive flaw with the old system that became more obvious once the Mid Major Top 25 was added is gone. I wouldn't mind testing out the early league format you used if you either able to locate your default league files for it or if you had an early save. I'm working towards getting the official 2.3.0 patch finished for good but wouldn't mind verifying that the polls are good for other formats before doing so. I'll likely post one more beta patch to be safe before getting all the links updated to 2.3.0.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #2185
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I just bought this and the game does some weird window thing where I cant click on anything and the game doesnt take up the whole window....any ideas? Its not rendering properly I believe. Win 7

This is the issue with text size. Right-click on your desktop, go to personalize, click on display in the left menu, then go to Set Custom Text Size (DPI) and make sure the "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling" box is unchecked. If at this point the game window is too big for your screen, then decrease the "Scale to this percentage of normal size" box to either 125% or 100%.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #2186
Flasch186
Coordinator

thanks!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #2187
Yodi
n00b

Just one small thing I noticed, when doing scheduling the day of the week seems to be off by one. For example, in the scheduling window it will say 11/23 is a Saturday when in reality it is a Sunday.
Yodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #2188
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Yodi's post actually made me think of a smaller issue that bothers me just a bit.

When scheduling games for the next season it would be nice to see the day of the week you are scheduling it for. While its not a huge issue but for realistic purposes Id rather being scheduling games on each Sat with Tues/Wed/Thur games mixed in. It bothers me when I schedule a bunch of games on Fridays and Sundays.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #2189
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Yodi's post actually made me think of a smaller issue that bothers me just a bit.

When scheduling games for the next season it would be nice to see the day of the week you are scheduling it for. While its not a huge issue but for realistic purposes Id rather being scheduling games on each Sat with Tues/Wed/Thur games mixed in. It bothers me when I schedule a bunch of games on Fridays and Sundays.

I think this is in there now... What version are you running?
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #2190
korme
Go Reds

heavy, would it ever be possible to add/remove conferences after the league has began?
Old 01-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #2191
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
heavy, would it ever be possible to add/remove conferences after the league has began?

This is possible on some of the more recent updates.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #2192
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodi View Post
Just one small thing I noticed, when doing scheduling the day of the week seems to be off by one. For example, in the scheduling window it will say 11/23 is a Saturday when in reality it is a Sunday.

Is anyone else seeing this? I checked the dates over a couple seasons and they match up.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #2193
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
I think this is in there now... What version are you running?

I havent played for a couple of a months so it could have been added since I last played. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #2194
Yodi
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Is anyone else seeing this? I checked the dates over a couple seasons and they match up.

I went back and looked at this. I started a new league with all the default settings, including the year 2011. When I did this the days of the week were right in the scheduling window.

The league I first noticed this in I started in 1900. So I started a new league with all the default settings but changed the start year to 1900. When I did this, I saw the problem again. In the scheduling window 11/11/00 is listed as a Saturday when in fact it is a Sunday. I didn't go this far in the test, but, if this performs like the league I first noticed it in, once you get to the regular season 11/11/00 will correctly be listed as a Sunday.

Finally, I did another test and kept all the default settings but started in 1901. The same problem happened again with the scheduling view. I simulated up to the start of the season. This time I looked at the calender in the hot seat view, which was correct the entire time, including once the season started. The only thing off was in the scheduling view.

I have no idea what is going on. Maybe it just affects leagues started in the 1900s. When I get back to my computer I can run some more tests on other league start years if you want.

EDIT: I am using 2.2.31 and started all these leagues using that version.

Last edited by Yodi : 01-29-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Yodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #2195
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Ok, I found the weekday issue as well. The season needed to be in the early 1900s for the issue to appear.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #2196
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v2232.exe

Extract the files to your install directory. When you start the game it should say version 2.2.32 in the bottom left corner after applying the update.

Version 2.2.32 (01/29/12)
Changes:
*Added conference to the top 25 poll screen
*Redesigned top 25 poll calculations

Fixes:
*Coaching trees should be properly cleared when creating a new human coach.
*Fixed a possible error 9 when trying to edit an active team that has no conference.
*Fixed a display error on the scheduling screen where the weekday was wrong for seasons in the early 1900s.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #2197
GoBuckeyes
n00b

You know..I don't say much on these forums, but I have to say this. I have never seen any game designer stay on top of things with his products the way HR has done. I can't seem to keep up with all the fixes and releases
It's amazing to me! When I first bought the game, some time ago, I had a compatibility issue, and mentioned it here. It was fixed the SAME day. My hat off to Brian and all the fantastic work he does on this. And for anyone who hasn't bought the game yet...DO IT!!! Best...support...ever!!
GoBuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #2198
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Finished my first season with 2.2.32 and the Mid-Major poll worked well.

I've never really paid attention to the HS all-star game, but how would I utilize the information in that box score? There aren't any links to the player names, the game is played (as far as I can tell) after recruiting is finished so I can't sort the recruits by name and search the recruit list. Is anyone following the players in this game, and if so, how do you go about this?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #2199
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

On another topic, I started up 2020 just now. I received an email stating there is another $16,366 in my budget, now a total of 308,866. However the recruiting budget is still showing last year's amount of 129,452 instead of the new projected of 98,866 (after coach salaries of 210,000). The recruiting budget drops because I game raises to two coaches who will now be fired and replaced with cheaper options (because I have 7 scholarships coming up for filling).

Seeing last year's bigger recruiting budget instead of the new, accurate projection has thrown me off in the past. I only caught it this time because of the email and knowing I'd given raises I would be cancelling by hiring others.

Any chance of an up-to-the-minute recruiting budget projection that becomes locked-in after the coach hiring phase?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #2200
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Here's something even weirder that I just did several times each way:

If I fire two coaches after giving them raises, I don't get any job offers, the game proceeds to the coach hiring phase. If I keep them on my staff, I get dozens of offers. I've saved and reloaded six times (3 each way) in order to verify it happens these two ways.