Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 AM   #2151
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Having finally caught up to the current episode, I have no idea really what everyone seems to be complaining about. The books this season was based off of are known to be boring and slow, but to me there has been plenty of intrigue and I haven't felt much of a drop off at all. I think its all setting up for a killer episode 8 and 9, when the dominos that have been set up finally get knocked down.

I think the real issue people are having here is that the majority of characters left on the show are either "bad guys", or "good guys" in limbo waiting for a catalyst to push their plot forward in a more forceful way. The one thing I do agree on is how silly the Sand Snake/Jamie/Bronn/Myrcella scene played out. It was poor fighting that they tried to fix with editing, but still pretty obvious. The way the scene came about was also suspect, but I think it was a way to get beyond the event and kill two birds with one stone.

I think we'll see things come to a satisfactory conclusion and set up season 6 though. There are a lot of wicks lit, and most of them are very near reaching the explosives they are attached to.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #2152
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
but that's arya's storyline

It's going to be a medieval fantasy Boondock Saints - swords blazing!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #2153
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
The one thing I do agree on is how silly the Sand Snake/Jamie/Bronn/Myrcella scene played out. It was poor fighting that they tried to fix with editing, but still pretty obvious. The way the scene came about was also suspect, but I think it was a way to get beyond the event and kill two birds with one stone.

I read someone's theory (on reddit) behind why the fight scene turned out so bad and it makes sense (if the facts are true). The place they used for the scenes is The Alcázar in Seville in Spain. They don't typically let people shoot there, but they made a rare exception for Game of Thrones. However, they only gave them a week. With only a week to work with, they didn't have a lot of time to set up and have multiple takes of all of the scenes they needed. And it takes a really long time to shoot a fight scene, especially one with so many people fighting. I'd guess that they only got a few takes of each part of the scene before having to move on.

If that's the case, it's no wonder the scene turned out like something you'd see in a shitty Syfy channel movie.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #2154
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Ah, makes sense. It did look like they were kind of winging it in the scene, very touch and go rather than full on attacking each other.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #2155
Easy Mac

I'm still a week behind, but this is all I could think of when I saw Mr. Eko trying to sell Tyrion's manhood.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #2156
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I'm still a week behind, but this is all I could think of when I saw Mr. Eko trying to sell Tyrion's manhood.

That scene was another from that particular week's episode that stuck in my craw, if only because I think that if threatened with immediate throat (and cock) slitting "I'm Tyrion Lannister!" seems like it would be a thousand times more logical/effective/convincing pitch for saving his own life than "Stop!.....that old guy over there is a pretty good fighter!"
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-28-2015 at 03:04 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #2157
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That scene was another from that particular week's episode that stuck in my craw, if only because I think that if threatened with immediate throat (and cock) slitting "I'm Tyrion Lannister!" seems like it would be a thousand times more logical/effective/convincing pitch for saving his own life than "Stop!.....that old guy over there is a pretty good fighter!"

Except for the fact that Cersei has offered a Lordship to anyone who would bring Tyrion's head to her. Doesn't matter if its been taken off his shoulders.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #2158
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Episodes from earlier this season seemed to indicate this approach wouldn't have gone so well for him.

edit: Or what was just said.

Last edited by Logan : 05-28-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #2159
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, I get that, and I'm asking an awful lot from what is basically a throw away plot device, but it still seems like when faced with a truly life or death moment Tyrion would choose to rely on the promise of manipulating his own wits and his name, even if only for a second longer, rather than hyping up the fighting prowess of the nearby homeless guy and hoping that will somehow extend to him.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #2160
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think it'd be an utterly stupid thing to throw his name around when the prize for killing him is so large. I think he did use his wits by saving them without indicating how big of a prize he is. I mean really, what more could he offer than Cersei was offering?
Old 05-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #2161
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All those casting details are pretty painful to consider. At this point aren't there only 23 hours left of this show most likely. Isn't an 8th season out of the question unless Terminator flops or they kill/recast Khaleesi, Tyrion, Cercei, Jaime among others.

Edit-

I suppose we'll get season 7 parts 1&2 so 29-33 more episodes

Last edited by stevew : 05-28-2015 at 03:31 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #2162
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think it'd be an utterly stupid thing to throw his name around when the prize for killing him is so large. I think he did use his wits by saving them without indicating how big of a prize he is. I mean really, what more could he offer than Cersei was offering?

Well, I feel like I should acknowledge again that I know I'm really arguing minutiae here, but he could promise less reward with more immediate gain and less work. They're like months (?) away from King's Landing, right? And several roguish characters have already turned down lordships, or specifically lamented the trappings thereof when compared to adventuring/privateering. It doesn't seem too much of a stretch to say that dealing with the Lannisters doesn't necessarily seem like it carries great promise at the moment, either.

Like I say, it's total minutae crap, but it struck me as out of character for everybody involved.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #2163
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But... he has nothing to offer. He has no money, no power, nothing. His instead puffing up Jorah as some sort of amazing fighter seemed to be a quite brilliant turn.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #2164
thesloppy
Pro Starter

*shrug* That will surely be trouble when they check his ATM balance. He doesn't have to have power or money, so much as convince them he does, if only long enough to save his weiner/throat another moment. Convincing has been shown to be Tyrion's game so far, and he still has at least enough worth to be kidnapped by Varys from one queen, and then kidnapped by Jorah for another, and both Varys and Daenerys could/would surely offer more than the return those second-rate slavers actually got.

Comparatively, hyping up Jorah as a fighter only works if the pirates and Tyrion both choose to ignore that Jorah's fighting abilities have nothing to do with Tyrion (or his penis) in the slightest, and even then only saves him in the shortest of terms, unless he can also convince a slave owner to buy him as Jorah's li'l gladiator buddy as well (which is even more hacky, doesn't seem like much of a salvation at all, and of course happens immediately)

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-28-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #2165
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
*shrug* That will surely be trouble when they check his ATM balance. He doesn't have to have power or money, so much as convince them he does, if only long enough to save his weiner/throat another moment. Convincing has been shown to be Tyrion's game so far, and he still has at least enough worth to be kidnapped by Varys from one queen, and then kidnapped by Jorah for another, and both Varys and Daenerys could/would surely offer more than the return those second-rate slavers actually got.

And convince them he did. Just not with the argument that you would have liked him to present

Also, Varys did not kidnap him and his worth for Jorah is basically in his perception that his queen would wish to personally kill and/or humiliate a Lannister (any Lannister), no ? He is not actually snatching him for any objective value he brings to the table.

Kinda agree with your last part, but thats the sort of plot hole you find by the dozen in any series without it bothering the vast majority of viewers i think.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-28-2015 at 04:25 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #2166
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

Also, Varys did not kidnap him and his worth for Jorah is basically in his perception that his queen would wish to personally kill and/or humiliate a Lannister (any Lannister), no ? He is not actually snatching him for any objective value he brings to the table.

Yeah, I was kinda squidging the definition of kidnapping, but you get the point...Varys was knowingly risking his life with Tyrion, and planned on taking him to the exact same place that Jorah was (whether Jorah knows it or not), so I think his value remains pretty well established.

Quote:
Kinda agree with your last part, but thats the sort of plot hole you find by the dozen in any series without it bothering the vast majority of viewers i think.

Totally, and again I think it was only notable to me because there were a lot of moments in that episode that stuck out as seemingly rushed or out-of-place. As mentioned upthread Bronn and Jamie arriving at the palace at the exact same moment as the Sand Snakes, without any explanation about how either group got into that supposedly impenetrable fortress, was some TJ Hooker level TV.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-28-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #2167
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Indeed.... he uses a better argument. There is a reason that Varys was so adamant that they didn't leave their little carriage - because everyone in western Essos knows that Tyrion's head on a stick = Lordship. What's he going to convince the pirates of? He's going to put them on the Iron Throne?
Old 05-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #2168
whomario
Pro Starter

I kinda forgot: Was it established what exactly Varys plan was ? (also, where the hell is he ? Is he still going to Mereen ? Shouldn´t he already be there at this point ? I feel these are questions i ask myself way too frequently on this show )
My best guess would be that he saw his value basically in him lending further legitimacy to Dany, although i do not quite get the reasoning why this would work.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-28-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #2169
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would love to know where Varys is. He is abit off the reservation now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #2170
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I would love to know where Varys is. He is abit off the reservation now.

At least he is not out of sight for the whole season after finishing off the past season on a huge cliffhanger... I still have no idea how you can really pick up Brans storyline without it seeming majorly weird one way or another.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #2171
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Indeed.... he uses a better argument. There is a reason that Varys was so adamant that they didn't leave their little carriage - because everyone in western Essos knows that Tyrion's head on a stick = Lordship. What's he going to convince the pirates of? He's going to put them on the Iron Throne?

Well, although I used the words "I'm Tyrion Lannister" he surely isn't confined to only that pitch, or that of hyping Jorah's skillz. He knows Varys and Jorah both wanted to take him to Danaerys, who is close enough that he stumbles into her anyways. He wouldn't necessarily have to reveal his identity, other than to say he was a political pawn very valuable to the nearby queen, who would surely pay more for his return than the handful of gold they would/did receive for their sale. To me that makes a hell of a lot more sense than "Hey! Don't cut of MY wiener because that guy can fight real good." I don't even remember how their amnesty extended to Tyrion under that pretense.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-28-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #2172
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, although I used the words "I'm Tyrion Lannister" he surely isn't confined to only that pitch, or that of hyping Jorah's skillz. He knows Varys and Jorah both wanted to take him to Danaerys, who is close enough that he stumbles into her anyways. He wouldn't necessarily have to reveal his identity, other than to say he was a political pawn very valuable to the nearby queen, who would surely pay more for his return than the handful of gold they would and did receive for their sale.

And how would he prove that to them? Furthermore, he doesn't particularly know how the Queen would receive him. Varys was supposed to make introductions after al And an important political pawn dwarf - he couldn't take the chance that these pirates had some sense in them to realize who that was (what other dwarf would be an important political pawn in the known world?) l. Tyrion steps up in the last episode because otherwise, both him and Jorah would be fucked.

I just don't see how Tyrion's cunning didn't work or was not in character.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #2173
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
At least he is not out of sight for the whole season after finishing off the past season on a huge cliffhanger... I still have no idea how you can really pick up Brans storyline without it seeming majorly weird one way or another.

Bran will come back looking 40 years old, if his puberty progress on screen keeps on track.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #2174
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
And how would he prove that to them? Furthermore, he doesn't particularly know how the Queen would receive him. Varys was supposed to make introductions after al And an important political pawn dwarf - he couldn't take the chance that these pirates had some sense in them to realize who that was (what other dwarf would be an important political pawn in the known world?) l. Tyrion steps up in the last episode because otherwise, both him and Jorah would be fucked.

I just don't see how Tyrion's cunning didn't work or was not in character.

Those are all great questions that I think might give him pause in any other situation that wasn't a knife slitting across his throat. "I don't know how Danaerys might receive me" is a good reason not to get on a boat for a six-month journey to visit an unsuspecting rival, if it's saving you from a knife running across your throat in the next minute/hour/day, who cares? Let's also remember that his current plan's endgame had him poised as a dwarf gladiator, moments away from a gory, public death in backwater dirt.

I'm certainly not arguing it didn't work, of course it worked, the plot went forward. And I'm not arguing that Tyrion coming up with a cunning, manipulative plan was out of character. I'm just saying that the plan was so entirely dependent on someone else, didn't seem to explicitly include his own freedom, and ultimately relied so hard on deus ex machina that it seemed out of character. All of which was made worse by the slavers granting him amnesty way too easily, and then having a slave buyer procure a midget gladiator for the fighter pits because he was funny.

But really, it wasn't worth this level of argument, so sorry if I got any feathers up. The slaver bit just struck me as another series of hacky moments in an unusually hacky episode that could've just as easily been tweaked/cleaned up into something a little more more intelligent.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-28-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #2175
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I kinda forgot: Was it established what exactly Varys plan was ? (also, where the hell is he ? Is he still going to Mereen ? Shouldn´t he already be there at this point ?
I heard he's going to join in with the unsullied. Rumor is he should fit right in
Old 05-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #2176
Easy Mac

Finally caught up.

If that's the price we have to pay to get an antidote for someone getting poisoned on this show, I'm fine with multiple people getting poisoned each week.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:05 PM   #2177
stevew
Hall Of Famer

World War Z
Old 05-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #2178
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ice zombies, they are a bitch.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:25 PM   #2179
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

First impression, AWESOME!
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:59 PM   #2180
kingfc22
Head Coach

If you're going to kill one. You better kill them all.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:05 PM   #2181
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That was a fucking awesome episode. Wow!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:33 PM   #2182
Edward64
Head Coach

Good episode.

Great last 30 minutes.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:52 PM   #2183
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That was so completely awesome. Everything about that episode rocked (except maybe the Cersei stuff, but that's it).

And I can't even give my thoughts in this thread about what is hinted at in the next episode, but needless to say, I'm anxious for the next episode.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:45 AM   #2184
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

SHIT. JUST. GOT. REAL.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #2185
SteveMax58
College Starter

Awesome episode!
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #2186
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So are they setting up where Arya has to either finish her mission or extract revenge on Meryn Trent? Seems like an intersection is in order.

Also didn't quite understand wtf the neck was going on with the sailor, etc.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #2187
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I did very much miss Tyrion in his political banter mode.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #2188
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Same here. Some of my favorite episodes were when he was the Hand and his various interactions with the political players.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #2189
stevew
Hall Of Famer

These "previously on..." Segments are getting silly.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #2190
Arles
Grey Dog Software

They use it to remind us of things that happened a while in the past but are coming back into play now (ie, Jon Snow getting his valyrian steel sword from the former night watch captain). Had they not shown that bit, I would have been a little confused on why his sword killed the White Walker and the other dude's didn't (I had forgot that it was valyrian).
Old 06-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #2191
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

OTOH, they give things away too much. For instance, Stannis routing the Wildlings last season was basically telegraphed by the "Previously on..."
Old 06-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #2192
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, but I think most GoT watchers are not fully educated on the lore/books and more casual watchers. Giving them quick cues at the start of prior events helps to limit the confusion regarding the myriad of characters and plot-lines intertwined throughout the season. I can see how it would bother the more attentive/informed, but I also see why they do it.

Last edited by Arles : 06-01-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #2193
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I usually enjoy most (not all) of Andy Greenwald's Game of Thrones reviews. This line from this week's review made me laugh:

"Because last night’s episode of Thrones taught us that only three things can stop a rampaging army of pickax-wielding, undead popsicles: obsidian, Valyrian steel, and 6 to 10 inches of shallow water."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #2194
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

On the other hand was anyone else a bit stunned by how stupid Tyrion was being in his "who is going to support you in Westeros" speech? Way to ignore 1/7th of the Kingdom who is basically waiting to jump up and down in joy if you came back (aka, Dorne).
Old 06-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #2195
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
On the other hand was anyone else a bit stunned by how stupid Tyrion was being in his "who is going to support you in Westeros" speech? Way to ignore 1/7th of the Kingdom who is basically waiting to jump up and down in joy if you came back (aka, Dorne).

But does Tyrion know that?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #2196
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think everyone knows that. Oberon wasn't the only one mad at the death of Elia of Dorne.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #2197
Easy Mac

So Olly is totally going to try and kill Jon Snow, right?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #2198
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
So Olly is totally going to try and kill Jon Snow, right?

Totally looks like. And while Sam was trying to help Jon, I can totally see Olly taking his words a completely different way.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #2199
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I think everyone knows that. Oberon wasn't the only one mad at the death of Elia of Dorne.

But as far as Tyrion is aware, the marriage pact between Myrcella and Trystane Martell would have made House Martell (at least Doran Martell) perfectly happy to keep the Lanisters around.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #2200
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He's not that stupid.