Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #2151
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
My personal favorite: "I AM GODS GIFT TO STAPLES CENTER, BITCH! You have a problem with that? Call me a pussy to my ****ing face you ****ing tool."

Yngwie is a Kings fan ... who knew?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:13 PM   #2152
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Go Sharks! Maybe I will watch a few games now.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #2153
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i've gotta agree. i havn't watched MUCH this year, but i definately won't be watching anymore. And O'Connell had the gal to go on WEEI earlier today and say that he actually thought this trade made the team better and that they were "still a Stanley Cup contender." don't insult my intelligence. fuck you mike o'connell.
Wait a minute..."still a Stanley Cup contender". Don't you have to be a contender to still be one?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:15 PM   #2154
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Forget about Edmonton and Vancouver. They are far away, their games always start late, and they are in Canada. Besides, Vancouver has Todd Bertuzzi and and Edmonton has Chris Pronger. He's big and funny looking.

And besides...the Wings lose to those two teams all the time, so you don't want to cheer for them

I would just like to add that I find it very telling that the #1 Wings fan on this board is pleading and begging with other teams fans to cheer for his team.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #2155
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
And besides...the Wings lose to those two teams all the time, so you don't want to cheer for them

I would just like to add that I find it very telling that the #1 Wings fan on this board is pleading and begging with other teams fans to cheer for his team.

Begging and pleading? Moi? Never! I merely saw some wayward, teamless hockey fan out there and figured I would offer them shelter from the storm. I am like the sheppard of lost children. I just want to give them a chance to see how a good, successful team is run from top to bottom. Trust me, as both a die hard Lions and Wings fan, it's very refreshing.

And, yes, the Wings do struggle in Western Canada. It is not pretty. I even suspect that the Wings glorious 2002 Stanley Cup run would have ended in first round tragedy if Dan Cloutier did not have the mental fortitude of a 2 year old.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #2156
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Begging and pleading? Moi? Never! I merely saw some wayward, teamless hockey fan out there and figured I would offer them shelter from the storm. I am like the sheppard of lost children. I just want to give them a chance to see how a good, successful team is run from top to bottom. Trust me, as both a die hard Lions and Wings fan, it's very refreshing.

And, yes, the Wings do struggle in Western Canada. It is not pretty. I even suspect that the Wings glorious 2002 Stanley Cup run would have ended in first round tragedy if Dan Cloutier did not have the mental fortitude of a 2 year old.
Hehe. I like you. You make me laugh.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #2157
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Sorry to disappoint you H_B, but part of the reason I liked Vancouver/Edmonton was they always seemed to be the 7/8 seed trying to and often succeeding in upsetting Dallas or Detroit during those 1 am telecasts back on the East Coast. And in NHL '95 Pavel Bure was the best player ever. I had one season I scored 428 goals with him, pretty much using his speed and the same move over and over.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #2158
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Hehe. I like you. You make me laugh.

Gung Ho!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #2159
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Boston 3 - Ottawa 0

Stuart played 23:45, had an assist and was +1. Sturm played 17:19, had a goal and assist, and was +1. Primeau played 15:28.

With Thornton, minus Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau :

Boston 1 - Ottawa 5
Boston 2 - Ottawa 5
Boston 2 - Ottawa 4

Last edited by Tekneek : 12-01-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #2160
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Gung Ho!

Indeed! A highly under rated movie.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #2161
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Boston 3 - Ottawa 0

Stuart played 23:45, had an assist and was +1. Sturm played 17:19, had a goal and assist, and was +1. Primeau played 15:28.

With Thornton, minus Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau :

Boston 1 - Ottawa 5
Boston 2 - Ottawa 5
Boston 2 - Ottawa 4

Did Raycroft start in goal?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 PM   #2162
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Did Raycroft start in goal?
No, it was the european kid who almost shut out the Leafs a few weeks back.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #2163
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

Hmmm...they might be onto something here.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #2164
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

Toivonen. I had some success with him in EHM and then I didn't and traded him.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 PM   #2165
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Toivonen. aka the one I call "the girl goalie"
Old 12-01-2005, 11:33 PM   #2166
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hmmm...they might be onto something here.
Not really. A shooter tutor blanked the Leafs in practice the other day.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:38 AM   #2167
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Toivonen. aka the one I call "the girl goalie"

It does kind of look a bit like Mrs. Tiger Woods under all that gear.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #2168
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Sharks are 2-0-0 since the arrival of Joe Thornton, with both wins coming on the road against winning teams. Not a bad start, eh?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #2169
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Sharks are 2-0-0 since the arrival of Joe Thornton, with both wins coming on the road against winning teams. Not a bad start, eh?

Noronen fucking blows so I'm not surprised they beat the Sabres in Buffalo.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:23 PM   #2170
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Avalanche have recalled a goalie and sent down a forward, giving them, for the moment, just 12 forwards but 3 healthy goaltenders.

The Avs board is on fire right now with speculation that Aebischer is about to be dealt...but it sounds like it'd be for a forward, not what they really need (a goalie, or a defenseman).
Old 12-06-2005, 04:51 PM   #2171
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Avalanche have recalled a goalie and sent down a forward, giving them, for the moment, just 12 forwards but 3 healthy goaltenders.

The Avs board is on fire right now with speculation that Aebischer is about to be dealt...but it sounds like it'd be for a forward, not what they really need (a goalie, or a defenseman).
I'll give you Conklin for a 1st round pick.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:56 PM   #2172
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Would they go with Budaj then?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #2173
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I hear Thibault is available on the cheap

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:26 PM   #2174
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Would they go with Budaj then?

My personal thought is not in the long term, but maybe for the short term. Budaj looks very promising, but he's got all of 10 NHL games and 2 back-to-back starts under his belt. If they trade Aebischer, it's because they need a proven "playoff-type" goalie to bail out their laughable defense.

I would like to see Luongo, of course, but the cost is probably too high. Vancouver sounds like they are getting close to landing him, which, even if it is not accurate, at the very least there's some bidding going on and Luongo won't be cheap.

so, if I'm guessing, it's Aebischer now for a forward, and probably not the sexiest of forwards either (we have the scorers, but lost a grinder who can kill penalties in Steve Konowalchuk). and then work on getting a goalie later.

EDIT: it occurs to me that your only exposure to Budaj might be that shellacking you gave us before Thanksgiving. he's actually been much, much better than that - certainly better than Abby.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 12-06-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:03 PM   #2175
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
My personal thought is not in the long term, but maybe for the short term. Budaj looks very promising, but he's got all of 10 NHL games and 2 back-to-back starts under his belt. If they trade Aebischer, it's because they need a proven "playoff-type" goalie to bail out their laughable defense.

I would like to see Luongo, of course, but the cost is probably too high. Vancouver sounds like they are getting close to landing him, which, even if it is not accurate, at the very least there's some bidding going on and Luongo won't be cheap.

so, if I'm guessing, it's Aebischer now for a forward, and probably not the sexiest of forwards either (we have the scorers, but lost a grinder who can kill penalties in Steve Konowalchuk). and then work on getting a goalie later.

EDIT: it occurs to me that your only exposure to Budaj might be that shellacking you gave us before Thanksgiving. he's actually been much, much better than that - certainly better than Abby.

That game wasn't pretty for him, but I have looked at his numbers for other games and they are good. Really what it comes down to is that I am in need of a goalie for my fantasy hockey team (since Miller's broken thumb) and have been signing and cutting third goalies like a madman. Morrison. Emery. Budaj. Etc, etc.

I want insider info, DD! Insider Info!! And you're my man inside for the Avs.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #2176
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, I did hear that Budaj is scheduled to start against Boston tomorrow (according to the Denver Post, I guess).
Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #2177
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Canes are doing well on their western road trip, 2-1-1 since starting in Atlanta last week. Cleaned up against the Ducks, 6-2 last night. Kevyn Adams nets his second hat trick of the season. Interestingly enough, he's only scored six goals and therefore all his goals are hat trick contributors.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #2178
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Just wanted to chime in:

This new schedule fucking sucks.

Not only have they totally diluted rivalries, but when we DO play the West it's the whole fucking Eastern Conference vs. the West at one fucking time!!! Jesus christ this is so retarded.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #2179
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
when we DO play the West it's the whole fucking Eastern Conference vs. the West at one fucking time!!! Jesus christ this is so retarded.

Not that I'm a huge fan of the new schedule, but why is this aspect of it so retarded?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #2180
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not that I'm a huge fan of the new schedule, but why is this aspect of it so retarded?

I'd so much prefer having 3-4 games per week throughout the whole season (save maybe the first and last two weeks) of East-West. This new schedule seems so much like interleague play in baseball, which most people seem to think is gimmicky more than anything else.

East-West in hockey should NOT be gimmicky -- a Flyers-Wings, or Rags-Avs game should be celebrated, and not just lumped in with Preds-Thrashers, or Florida-Phoenix.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:10 PM   #2181
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
This new schedule fucking sucks.

Agreed.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #2182
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'd so much prefer having 3-4 games per week throughout the whole season (save maybe the first and last two weeks) of East-West. This new schedule seems so much like interleague play in baseball, which most people seem to think is gimmicky more than anything else.

East-West in hockey should NOT be gimmicky -- a Flyers-Wings, or Rags-Avs game should be celebrated, and not just lumped in with Preds-Thrashers, or Florida-Phoenix.

I agree it does feel gimmicky and very much like interleague play in baseball. Whoever is in charge of NHL marketing certainly wants us to think it is at least.

As for the new schedule on the whole I am a bit torn. Part me of really enjoys the idea of emphasizing divisional rivalries. To be honest, though, that the Don Cherry part of me. It's not that I want rivers of blood on the ice, but back in the day familiarity bred contempt and that usually led to some very spirited games. The way the game is played and called now that doesn't seem to be happening. There is still some good hockey, but the "rivalry" games I have watched have seemed to lack a little itensity or fire. I am sure that's what the league was hoping for, but I am not sure if that's materialized yet. Looking at the Center Ice schedule I was loving the prospect of a good divisional rivalry or two (or four) a week.

The part of me that doesn't like it, doesn't like the gimmicky aspect of "interleague play" or the fact that the Wings don't play Toronto, Montreal, or even Boston (I think) this year. That's just not right. Then again, I am not as torn up about that as some people. Ever since Toronto moved to the Eastern Conference the Detroit-Toronto rivalry hasn't been the same, which is no surprise.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:44 PM   #2183
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

WTF is with Center Ice? They aren't showing the commercials or intermissions of the Wild/Flyers game (Wild's broadcast)???
Old 12-10-2005, 01:59 PM   #2184
bronconick
College Starter

I've said this elsewhere, and maybe here.

If they really wanted to hype divisional rivalries, they needed to come up with a way to go back to 4 divisions (cut/add 2 teams), and have divisional playoffs like they used to.

Rivalries are formed by playing the same team in the playoffs repeatedly, not by playing them 7-8 times during a 7-8 month season.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #2185
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
WTF is with Center Ice? They aren't showing the commercials or intermissions of the Wild/Flyers game (Wild's broadcast)???

When they pick up an OTA feed, it is often the feed from the arena and not after the post-production done by the channel. This means you don't get any commercials or "studio" segments. The Wild probably have the most of those, but there have been some from the Blues, Coyotes, and Stars (and maybe the Ducks as well) this season.

I like them. Sometimes you see some "interesting" things during the breaks and on more than one ocassion I have seen fights during commercial breaks and they have to show the fight again when coming back from the break.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #2186
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
When they pick up an OTA feed, it is often the feed from the arena and not after the post-production done by the channel. This means you don't get any commercials or "studio" segments. The Wild probably have the most of those, but there have been some from the Blues, Coyotes, and Stars (and maybe the Ducks as well) this season.

I like them. Sometimes you see some "interesting" things during the breaks and on more than one ocassion I have seen fights during commercial breaks and they have to show the fight again when coming back from the break.

Ahhhh, thanks!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:49 PM   #2187
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Go Isles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 03:27 AM   #2188
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Go Isles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boo Horcoff!

Oilers are my most favorite team, but I suppose it isn't too bad for them to lose to one of my favorite east coast teams.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #2189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thrashers blow a friggin' 6-2 lead over the Wings, now 6-6 middle of the 3rd.

1st Period:
Scoring: ATL, Vigier (short-handed) (unassisted) 3:53. DET, Datsyuk (power-play) (Shanahan, Lidstrom) 11:23. ATL, Stefan (Kozlov, de Vries) 17:05. Penalties: ATL, Boulton (Goaltender Interference), 3:00; ATL, Slater (Holding), 10:10; ATL, Aubin (Holding), 10:37; DET, Draper (High-sticking), 19:28.

2nd Period:
Scoring: DET, Datsyuk (Shanahan, Lebda) 2:04. ATL, Holik (Larsen, Vigier) 3:07. ATL, Kozlov (power-play) (Savard, Kovalchuk) 6:05. ATL, Hossa (power-play) (Holik, Kozlov) 6:48. ATL, Petrovicky (power-play) (Shanahan) 8:01. Penalties: DET, Schneider (High-sticking), 3:47; DET, Cleary (Hooking), 4:57; DET, Lilja (Hooking), 6:30; ATL, Vigier (Interference), 16:09; ATL, Havelid (Interference), 18:58; ATL, Larsen (Hooking), 19:43.

3rd Period:
Scoring: DET, Shanahan (power-play) (Lidstrom, Schneider) 0:24. DET, Williams (Shanahan, Lebda) 2:02. DET, Schneider (power-play) (Shanahan) 8:01. DET, Holmstrom (power-play) (Zetterberg, Datsyuk) 8:41. Penalties: DET, Lebda (Holding), 5:16; ATL, Modry (Holding), 6:28; ATL, Hossa (Holding), 7:08.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #2190
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, they broke into the Pens/Blues snoozefest on OLN to mention that game.

SI

Old 12-13-2005, 08:35 PM   #2191
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Cloutier is done for the regular season.

I don't think Vancouver will miss a beat here - I like Alex Auld, and also their backup, Maxime Oulette. But heck, if they want Aebischer...
Old 12-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #2192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thrashers win it 7-6 on Stefan's even-strength goal with 4 mins left. A win is a win, and one over a good team is even better, but still ...
Old 12-13-2005, 11:18 PM   #2193
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Canes dig early hole against Chicago, but dominate the last two periods to win 5-3. They finished 3-2-1 on their longest road trip of the season, but dropped the last one in San Jose, so it was a good bounce-back win to start a very important homestand. They've got five in a row at home with a huge game looming on the 20th against Tampa Bay with likely the division lead at stake.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #2194
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Cloutier is done for the regular season.

I don't think Vancouver will miss a beat here - I like Alex Auld, and also their backup, Maxime Oulette. But heck, if they want Aebischer...

I think you're right they won't miss a beat. Not because Auld is as good as Cloutier but because the team plays a different (ie, more defensive) game when he's in net.
SoxWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #2195
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Dallas gets Nick Hagman from Florida for a 7th round pick. I thought he was a promising young player? Seems cheap.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 PM   #2196
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dallas gets Nick Hagman from Florida for a 7th round pick. I thought he was a promising young player? Seems cheap.

It does. Dunno about real life Nick Hagman, but virtual Nick Hagman in EHM-land has been a staple H_B 3rd/4th line grinder in each version! I like him.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #2197
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

:o

Here's something you don't see everyday
Start of Period 4
20:00 Even Strength
4:19 Puck out of Rink
4:19 NJ Scott Gomez shot on goal
18:18 Atl Marc Savard, Penalty, High-sticking, (2 minutes)
18:18 Power play, Four on Three, Hometeam advantage
1:29 Timeout
1:29 Atl Marian Hossa penalty shot failed, missed net
1:29 Atl Marian Hossa shot on goal
1:29 Even Strength
16:29 NJ Dan McGillis, Penalty, Tripping, (2 minutes)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:06 PM   #2198
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
:o

Here's something you don't see everyday
Start of Period 4
20:00 Even Strength
4:19 Puck out of Rink
4:19 NJ Scott Gomez shot on goal
18:18 Atl Marc Savard, Penalty, High-sticking, (2 minutes)
18:18 Power play, Four on Three, Hometeam advantage
1:29 Timeout
1:29 Atl Marian Hossa penalty shot failed, missed net
1:29 Atl Marian Hossa shot on goal
1:29 Even Strength
16:29 NJ Dan McGillis, Penalty, Tripping, (2 minutes)
Period 4?

SI

Old 12-15-2005, 09:07 PM   #2199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Period 4?

aka Overtime

Where, by the way, Atlanta wins with 0:05 left on a Marc Savard goal.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:11 PM   #2200
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Actually, what threw me was the 16:29, 18:18, and 20:00 in OT in the regular season.

SI