Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #2151
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Journey to the Center of the Earth 8/10

Think National Treasure mixed with Indiana Jones, and then make it totally sci-fi'ish...just fun! Definitely geared toward kids/families, the vast majority of the people there were families with kids everywhere from the 4/5 range up into 12/13. I like the way they updated it, made it take place in modern times but reference the original work by Verne throughout the entire movie. As the movie was ending my son said "I totally want to read that book now!", so in my eyes it was a success. Also, husband and I both really enjoyed it. The drive in we saw it at didn't have it in 3-D, but we all agreed we wanted to see it again if we can find it in 3-D somewhere convenient.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #2152
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hellboy II: The Golden Army - 8/10
Good movie. I liked the first one better I think, but it's hard to tell. There were some funny parts, some cool scenes and cinematography, nice action, and a bit of romantic stuff.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #2153
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Hellboy II: The Golden Army - 8/10
Good movie. I liked the first one better I think, but it's hard to tell. There were some funny parts, some cool scenes and cinematography, nice action, and a bit of romantic stuff.

I was just going to post about this one. I didn't think it worked nearly as well as the first one. Much more silly and inconsistent. I'd rate it 3/10.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #2154
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I was just going to post about this one. I didn't think it worked nearly as well as the first one. Much more silly and inconsistent. I'd rate it 3/10.

I'm more in the middle on this one. I sturggled between 6 and 7 and ended up 7/10.

I gave it the edge because, just like Pan's Labyrinth, Nolan did a wonderful job with the visuals and the monster creation. From that perspective, a lot of the scenes in this movie look spectacular. Plus, the bad guy was bad ass.

Story/plot was another thing. Slow down in the middle seemed oddly timed and just out of sorts. I understand they were playing out a couple of the underlying plot lines, but it just broke up the action and made for an awkward middle, IMO.

But when the action got faster, I enjoyed it. The start was cool and the last fight was pretty neat, too.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #2155
Calis
College Starter

Put me in the camp who preferred the 2nd Hellboy movie to the first. I'd rate the 2nd somewhere between a 7 and a 7.5, with the first right around the 6.0 range.

The movie had issues, the story was weak, lots of lines that just sounded cheezy. Both romantic plots were terrible, but it had moments that showed what it really could've been if they built up the characters a little more. It was definitely a summer blockbuster type where they just moved Hellboy from one fight to another, so I could see that as a letdown.

I really enjoyed Seth McFarlane's character in the movie. I think I actually liked Abe more than Hellboy in the movie also, just because it seems like a lot of Hellboy's humor that works in the comics falls flat on the screen.

Del Toro really went to town with the monsters this time. They definitely built this movie up as the meshing between Mignola and Del Toro, whereas the first was more Mignola. Really cool looking creatures as you'd expect.

With that said, bring on Dark Knight!
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #2156
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
With that said, bring on Dark Knight!

The early reviews on DK have been amazing, really. I mean, I was going to see it first night anyway, but it seems like critics so far are falling over themselves lavishing it with praise. That is extremely encouraging.

They are saying it is much better than the first one, and I thought the first one was pretty good.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #2157
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I will agree that the visuals in Hellboy 2 were fantastic. Del Toro does a great job with imagery. Interplay between the characters seemed very weak, and I didn't like the new leader at all...both in terms of abilities and in the 180 degree motivation changes. It also didn't help that I knew exactly how the final scene was going to play out very early in the movie. I won't say any more to avoid spoilers.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #2158
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The early reviews on DK have been amazing, really. I mean, I was going to see it first night anyway, but it seems like critics so far are falling over themselves lavishing it with praise. That is extremely encouraging.

They are saying it is much better than the first one, and I thought the first one was pretty good.

Yeah, I actually went so far that I'm going to see a midnight viewing of this on Thursday. Never done that, and still wouldn't, but I was able to buy some balcony seats at our theatre that are assigned and a real nice set-up so the benefit of not fighting a crowd is worth it to me.

I thought the first was excellent(probably my favorite comic movie), but I think the Batman training part slowed it down a little too much. I think without the entire origin part to bog it down it should move at a very brisk pace.

I'm staying away from the reviews on this one though. I want to know as little as possible. I have heard a lot about potential Oscar talk for Ledger, which might be hype but it does sound like this is a comic movie that has potential to be taken pretty seriously, so that's good.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #2159
Flasch186
Coordinator

Goya's ghost....nothing? nobody's seen it? Please go rent it as I;d love to get another person's opinion on it.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #2160
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
El Orfanato (The Orphanage) - 9/10

A fantastic horror movie. The writer and director of Pan's Labyrinth, Guillermo del Toro, was the producer of the movie, and his influence was clear as day. I wish american horror movie makers would take a lesson or two from del Toro, or some of the Japanese horror movie makers. Atmosphere trumps shock value, and this movie was creepy as hell.

OK, we finally saw it and I agree with you - 9/10

You can see Guillermo del Toro's influence but hats of to new director J.A. Bayona, I'm keeping my eye on him. This movie was scary and I had to cover my mouth for a good portion of the movie because if I didn't I'd scream for sure. The movie was suspenseful and also touching.

Thanks Sab.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #2161
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Goya's ghost....nothing? nobody's seen it? Please go rent it as I;d love to get another person's opinion on it.

Haven't seen it but I've added it to my queue, it's #2 though after Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes.

Last edited by Lorena : 07-13-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #2162
st.cronin
General Manager

The Strangers 8/10

This is a very creepy movie.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #2163
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Get Smart 8/10

I am a big Steve Carrell fan, he is just subtle enough in most of his parts to make you laugh without being over the top. This movie had enough humor and seriousness to balance each other out.

Oh, and Anne Hathaway is gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #2164
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Charlie Bartlett - 7/10, I found it very funny...Not what I expected at all, but a very good movie.

Chaos Theory - 8/10, Randomly picked this one up at blockbuster, hadn't ever heard of it before- I loved it. Great story.
Spoiler

Last edited by Doug5984 : 07-14-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:47 AM   #2165
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Stop-Loss - 7/10 I think Phillipe is a great actor. Maybe a Ledger-lite. For a work of fiction, I think it took the easy way out. I would have enjoyed the movie more if they had made Phillipe's decision more of an ultimatum. I felt the options that were given to him constantly took some of the sting out of his decision. It didn't seem as dire with him actually having a chance to reclaim what he had before. I've heard a few military people say that he would not have had those choices available to him in real life, but I couldn't debunk or verify that....
Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 AM   #2166
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Midnight viewing of The Dark Knight.

10/10 - Oh.my.god

I don't even know where to start. Awesome Awesome Awesome.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #2167
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Midnight viewing of The Dark Knight.

10/10 - Oh.my.god

I don't even know where to start. Awesome Awesome Awesome.

That's a serious review. We're trying to get tickets for Saturday and a lot of places are sold out already

Last edited by Lorena : 07-18-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 AM   #2168
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Was going to watch Dark Knight during the premiere screening here three days ago, alas, work was in the way.

Saturday it is!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:31 AM   #2169
Lorena
Unregistered

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - 6/10

I must admit I was entertained. I guess I gotta watch The Birds now.

Requiem for a Dream - 8.5/10

When the movie was over, I felt pretty messed up. The drug use and how it destroys everyone's life really got to me. The awesome editing, score and different use of cameras really made this movie stand out.

Be Kind, Rewind - 7.5/10

Jack Black and Mos Def make their own version of movies after they were magnetically erased. This movie was creatively made, and there was a great sense of community which I loved, inspite of the semi-bad acting. Some of these "bad actors" were actually people in the neighborhood that were given bit parts. One thing's for sure, the people in Passaic, NJ will never forget this movie.

Last edited by Lorena : 07-18-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:37 AM   #2170
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

It was just jam packed of HOLY SHIT moments.

If Ledger wins any awards they will definitely be well deserved. Well deserved. Amazing performance on his part.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:43 AM   #2171
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola-

I also used to think Batman Begins was fucking awesome. Now, it just.. I don't know... seems so mild, as in, the awesomeness of it just seems so much less, because of how much The Dark Knight just awed me. Christian Bale is so perfect. Heath Ledger is the greatest Batman bad guy ever, if not the greatest in any comic book movie ever.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:47 AM   #2172
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
It was just jam packed of HOLY SHIT moments.

If Ledger wins any awards they will definitely be well deserved. Well deserved. Amazing performance on his part.

Nice...can't wait.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:47 AM   #2173
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

another dola -

I want to go to bed. But I can't. I'm tired. But that movie just keeps going through my head.

I keep focusing on Heath Ledger, and I don't mean to do that. It's not in the sense that I want to because he is dead, and everybody else is going to focus on him, but because he was just so amazing. It was eerie watching him. It was amazing watching him. It was depressing watching him.

I'm done talking about it till tomorrow. I can't even add anything that would seem like a good review just because everything I want to say is full of words like "awesome" and "amazing". I just can't put anything together because I don't know where to start.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #2174
Calis
College Starter

Back from midnight viewing of Dark Knight.

Rating wise I'm not sure right now, because I'm too tired, but it's a minimum of a 9. It felt a little long and I think they almost jammed too much into it, but that's nitpicking because it was an awesome ride. The first half of the movie flew by.

Ledger was as good as hyped to be, and I would say it's the best portrayal of a comic villain in a movie, and I think it was a better Joker than in any of the comics I've read either.

Definitely my favorite comic book movie of all-time.

Great year for comic movies. The Watchmen trailer has me very excited for that also.

Thoughts are jumbled because I'm too tired. Try to post better thoughts later after I sleep and more people have seen it.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:20 AM   #2175
primelord
Pro Rookie

I'll echo the thoughts on The Dark Knight. The movie was fantastic and Ledger was indeed brilliant. I was convinced that this movie would be a let down, as sequels generally are. However Scoobz was right on. The Dark Knight makes Batman Begins look quite lame in comparison.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #2176
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Geez....I'm pretty excited to see Dark Knight now
Old 07-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #2177
rowech
Pro Starter

I have yet to see the movie but I find it unfortunate that once again Christian Bale is going to get the shaft. He has become, in my opinion, one of the top five actors of Hollywood and he is constantly an afterthought in just about everything.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #2178
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I wished I had some sort of tolerance or interest in superheroes or comic book characters because this one sounds interesting. But as I seldom watch much movies anymore, this genre has no interest to me. I will be watching the numbers as I find that to be exciting to track.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #2179
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I wished I had some sort of tolerance or interest in superheroes or comic book characters because this one sounds interesting. But as I seldom watch much movies anymore, this genre has no interest to me. I will be watching the numbers as I find that to be exciting to track.

I'm not a superhero guy either...if you haven't seen Batman Begins, you owe it to yourself to see it. You'll want to see The Dark Knight for sure then.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #2180
Logan
Head Coach

Eh...was disappointed in The Dark Knight. A huge fan of Begins, but this was too long, and as soon as it ended I realized what made Begins so good...the whole "begins" aspect of it. Wayne's internal and physical struggle in coming to grips with his past, his actual constructing of the Batman character, and his progress in being able to kick ass. This had very little, if any, of that.

Ledger was good, don't get me wrong. I just wish we saw a little more background on him, what made him become what he was. Outside of the brief scene where
Spoiler
, that was really it. If I didn't know any better, I would never think that playing this character by putting on weird makeup and being kinda crazy could mentally disturb someone in the way it allegedly did to Ledger. That's not to take anything away from his acting at all, it was great.

I plan on seeing it again soon, so maybe my opinion will change.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #2181
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Qui-Gon Jinn was in Batman Begins. Nothing cooler than jedi master vs batman.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #2182
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Eh...was disappointed in The Dark Knight. A huge fan of Begins, but this was too long, and as soon as it ended I realized what made Begins so good...the whole "begins" aspect of it. Wayne's internal and physical struggle in coming to grips with his past, his actual constructing of the Batman character, and his progress in being able to kick ass. This had very little, if any, of that.

Ledger was good, don't get me wrong. I just wish we saw a little more background on him, what made him become what he was. Outside of the brief scene where
Spoiler
, that was really it. If I didn't know any better, I would never think that playing this character by putting on weird makeup and being kinda crazy could mentally disturb someone in the way it allegedly did to Ledger. That's not to take anything away from his acting at all, it was great.

I plan on seeing it again soon, so maybe my opinion will change.

Why does it surprise me that Wolverine (Logan) doesn't like another superhero movie? Let it go Logan, Marvel Studios is going to make a string of superhero movie hits, so its okay if DC Comics make a decent movie or two. What would Professor X say if he saw you posting this? Poor form Wolverine....poor form.....

Last edited by Antmeister : 07-18-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #2183
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

(shameless plug)

i have a dynasty started where i do just that. watch movie numbers. everyone can participate.

http://operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=65700
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #2184
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I have yet to see the movie but I find it unfortunate that once again Christian Bale is going to get the shaft. He has become, in my opinion, one of the top five actors of Hollywood and he is constantly an afterthought in just about everything.

trust me that he likes it this way.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #2185
korme
Go Reds

wowowow
IMDb:
The Dark Knight (2008)
User Rating: 9.7/10
Top 250: #4

I can't believe I'm waiting til Tuesday to see it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #2186
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Why does it surprise me that Wolverine (Logan) doesn't like another superhero movie? Let it go Logan, Marvel Studios is going to make a string of superhero movie hits, so its okay if DC Comics make a decent movie or two. What would Professor X say if he saw you posting this? Poor form Wolverine....poor form.....

Haha...good call Ant. Seriously though, I loved the first movie which is why I may have been hoping for too much. Looking forward to a second viewing.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #2187
korme
Go Reds

My bro gave it a 8/10... that calms me a bit
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #2188
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think I'll like this movie (I can't wait to see it), but I wasn't awed by "Batman Begins". In fact, I considered it a bit of a let down. Then again, I thought the same of "Iron Man". Maybe I just don't like the backstory movies when I'm going to see a superhero flim
Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #2189
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Outside of the brief scene where
Spoiler
, that was really it.

Well ...
Spoiler

Last edited by primelord : 07-18-2008 at 02:49 PM.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #2190
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

I thought Bale did a fine job in this one, but he was completely out classed by Ledger.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #2191
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord View Post
Well ...
Spoiler

Spoiler

Talking about it with a buddy (who liked it more than I did) we both agree it could've used more Batman and less Harvey Dent. Almost seemed like Eckhart was the star.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #2192
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, it is arguable that Eckhart is a bigger name than Bale . Though I could just like "Thank You for Smoking" a whole lot .

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-18-2008 at 02:59 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #2193
Logan
Head Coach

That's one of my faves...a solid 9/10.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #2194
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
I love that Guillermo del Toro is attached to The Hobbit.

Ya know, I totally missed this. I didn't realize he was gonna be directing The Hobbit... wow oh wow, I can't wait!! I also heard there's gonna be a sequel to The Hobbit which'll come out in 2012.

Yeah, Guillermo del Toro is one of my favorite directors, the man has great vision.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #2195
Calis
College Starter

Yeah Del Toro is on board for two hobbit movies, and then has already said he wants to do a 3rd Hellboy after he finishes with those. Great to see him getting The Hobbit, but I'm a little disappointed, because he was starting work on adaptation of "At the Mountains of Madness" which I would absolutely love to see, but obviously he had to push it back for The Hobbit, and I listened to an interview the other day where it looks like he's about given up on every doing it. He seem genuinely bummed though.

Huge fan of his though. If you guys that are fans of his haven't seen The Devil's Backbone do yourself a favor and Netflix it or something because it's a great movie, and really the precursor to Pan's Labryinth in a lot of ways.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #2196
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Dark Knight - 10/10

Movie of the year so far, anyone?
Old 07-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #2197
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
The Dark Knight - 10/10

Movie of the year so far, anyone?

I think it is, although it's July, so we'll see how things go going forward. Before seeing DK, I was more "excited" to see the new Harry Potter and Bond flicks in the fall, and I am really looking forward to Pineapple Express in a few weeks, but I don't know if any of those stand a chance to beat this out as movie of the year.

Note, I am referring to movie of the year as a defining movie, a moment for cinema within that year. I assume the actual "Best Movies" that generally come out in October through December will have at least one seriously awe inspiring movie, although I don't remember any off of the top of my head that have that early buzz.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #2198
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I think it is, although it's July, so we'll see how things go going forward. Before seeing DK, I was more "excited" to see the new Harry Potter and Bond flicks in the fall, and I am really looking forward to Pineapple Express in a few weeks, but I don't know if any of those stand a chance to beat this out as movie of the year.

Note, I am referring to movie of the year as a defining movie, a moment for cinema within that year. I assume the actual "Best Movies" that generally come out in October through December will have at least one seriously awe inspiring movie, although I don't remember any off of the top of my head that have that early buzz.

I think it still comes down to genre and any biases (from viewers and voters) that they have. For viewers, there are some that will not watch a romantic comedy (for example) and it's irrelevant whether it's good or not. The same is true for niche yet hardcore genres like scifi or superhero. For voters, there's the inherent bias against characters from summer blockbusters (like those decrying Depp's nomination), animation and pretty much anything by Bruckheimer (more or less).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #2199
Mrs. Schmidty
High School Varsity

HBO: Resident Evil: Extinction 8.5/10 The main chick kicks ass as always and I really like the end and look forward to what they'll do with it for a sequel.

Theater: Wall-E 9/10 While I'm all for saving the planet, sometimes I would just like a break from it being thrown in my face that we need to do it. I didn't know that was the main part of the story line so I was pissy when I left the theater. That said, great story line and "animation."
Mrs. Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #2200
Philliesfan980
Banned

25th hour - pretty good movie, although a little drawn out. I haven't seen all his works, but I'll tell you what - Phillip C Hoffman might play the best 'overall wierd guy' that I've ever seen.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote