Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #2151
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
So, I have an idea for a more exciting extra time finale.

Extra time as usual. After 30 minutes, you keep going. But the goal gets wider by 1 foot every 2 minutes until someone scores.

Or take a few players off for each side, opening up more space.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #2152
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't mind the shoot out. If you cant win outright, you deserve to possibly eat a shit sandwich.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #2153
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Except in the NHL, players keep coming off and play 20 min in a game, not all of it. You play 120 minutes on a far bigger field with more running, and then try and keep going.

Right. Somewhere in the midst of 15-minute "halves," extra substitutions, etc., it could work, though.

How about this? You get 3 subs for the game. Let's add 2 more subs at the beginning of each 15-minute extra half. That requires no more than 2 players to play 135 minutes before they can come off, one of which could be the keeper.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #2154
bhlloy
Coordinator

You know what, that's not too shabby an idea. It would only work in these tournaments where there is a full 11 man bench, but why the hell not. I could go for allowing 2 extra subs at the start of each 15 minute period, 7 vs 7, play until there is a winner or somebody drops dead (kidding about the second part)

Soccer actually becomes very wide open when people are really tired. I don't think it would go on for that long except in extreme cases. If hockey can get through 5 overtimes, we can do the same with a few rules tweaks.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #2155
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The first leg of the Copa Libertadores final is about to start, maybe that will be better than Spain - Portugal was.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #2156
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
The first leg of the Copa Libertadores final is about to start, maybe that will be better than Spain - Portugal was.

Who's in it?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #2157
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Boca Juniors and Corinthians.

Still 0-0 after 25 minutes.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-27-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #2158
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

A 73rd minute goal for Boca ends my streak of over five hours of watching soccer without seeing a goal (Italy - England, Spain - Portugal, and now this game).
Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #2159
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nice to see the Boca-River rivalry is back in force now that River has made it back to the Argentine first division.. although any league that could have a team simultaneously win the championship and relegated due to poor performance is a crappy system *laughs*
Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #2160
Grover
Pro Starter

Speaking of River, I hear Trezeguet has been tearing it up for them

Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #2161
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Or take a few players off for each side, opening up more space.

I would have 7 v 7 corner kicks with a keeper and kicker. Kicker cannot come into the play. Best of 5, defense has to get the ball to a certain point (approx 35 yards out) Otherwise, play as normal.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #2162
whomario
Pro Starter

No David Beckham at the Olympics, next to Ryan Giggs the other 2 24+ guys aparently are Micah Richards and Craig Bellamy. Maybe i´m wrong here, but if your success depends on Bellamy then you could have also just carried Beckham on the roster even if he´s not totally up to speed theese days.
Yeah, the roster is smaller and everything but still it´s not like his spot would have been a waste from the football side of things.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #2163
whomario
Pro Starter

Yesterday´s game was indeed a drag from about 60 minutes on. The problem when playing against Spain is that they´ve built this otherworldly mix of real class and reputation, it kind of seems that the only way to beat them is to try to annoy them and stop the 2nd wave of passes (you can´t stop the first and the 3rd will kill you) which then results in very scattered play.

I do believe the german team has sth more up their sleeves in that regard, the team and philosophy was 100% built with spain in mind.

But of course, Italy is the oponent at hand and i have a good feeling weirdly enough. I really think Pirlo will have a hard time tonight as guys like him (Xavis as the blue print) have long been one of the main emphasizes of the german tactic, with pressure systems geared towards forcing him to step up or give (the ball) up.
If he then pulls a move/pass like against Spain (to di Natale for the goal), good for him. But i don´t think that´s his game.

I think Balotelli and Cassano will get a few chances as the german CBs aren´t used to playing 2 striker systems and play best when they can zone-guard for each other. But there´s still a plenty good GK behind them and neither Ballotelli nor Cassano are guys that make every chance count.

Will be interesting if Italy goes back to the 3-5-2/5-3-2 hybrid or stays with the 4-4-2 of the England game.

Up top for Germany i highly would prefer Klose again, not only is he better for the offense (all available wing players are essentially strikers, don´t need an assassin up front but a guy to play with) but he also is a great player to help pressure Pirlo. With him on the pitch i doubt he´ll have nearly as much time as he did against England (Rooney with another great display of non-defense...), Klose is one of the best strikers around when it comes to defending.

Behind him i´d love Reus on the left and Mueller on the right but guess it will be Podolski/Mueller.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 06-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #2164
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm biased but Bellamy was arguably Liverpool's best player last season. He's still far more of an effective player than Beckham is.

Although I also also think Team GB's strategy is to piss off the Welsh FA as much as they possibly can by selecting as many of their guys, so that might have something to do with it
Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #2165
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - sounds like it was always going to be Bellamy and Giggs. Pearce has a hard on for Micah Richards from his time with the U-21's and at Man City and he's the shock pick over Beckham. Lot of people very upset as Richards basically told England no for the Euros after not being in the initial squad and Pearce "rewards" him with a place in the Olympics.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #2166
whomario
Pro Starter

Fuck this. What a stupid shit tactic. 2 years of work down the tube.

There was no reason to bring in a 3rd central midfielder which then allows Italy to have De Rossi play inside ... Plus Gomez again proving that he is not good for the team.

Last edited by whomario : 06-28-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #2167
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Balotelli!
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #2168
bhlloy
Coordinator

Is anything more inevitable than Balotelli getting another yellow for something stupid and missing the final?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #2169
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Is anything more inevitable than Balotelli getting another yellow for something stupid and missing the final?

He might not come out after halftime if they still have the two goal lead.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #2170
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

There was no reason to bring in a 3rd central midfielder which then allows Italy to have De Rossi play inside ... Plus Gomez again proving that he is not good for the team.

I was pretty shocked that Muller wasn't starting.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #2171
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a guy named "mario" being upse that Italy is winning.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #2172
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Getting two goals against an Italian team hell bent on killing the clock is going to be a tough task.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #2173
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

There's some angry lookin' dudes in lederhosen in that crowd.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #2174
bhlloy
Coordinator

I can't get over how bad Germany has looked at the back. It should easily be 4 or 5 by now
Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #2175
rowech
Pro Starter

So much for all the whining about short rest for Spain and Germany.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #2176
whomario
Pro Starter

inexcusable coaching decicion did the team in, then in the 2nd Italy could have scored a couple more as germany had to go all in. But there were at least a few chances and better play than in the first ... With a bit of Luck Hummels scores in the 5th or Reus free kick goes in. Whatever though, Italy was better.

terrible day ... I´m gonna excuse myself for a bit.

Congrats to anyone who rooted for Italy, clear and deserved winners.

Last edited by whomario : 06-28-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #2177
Ryan S
Quarterback

I have no idea why Reus and Klose did not start the game.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #2178
whomario
Pro Starter

fucking stupid, fuck this ... Instead of playing our game (we had 2 working variations of it even !!!) Loew tries to adapt to Italy and brings in a 3rd central midfielder. For what ? A team who scored a whopping 4 goals in 4 games of which 1 was a free kick and 2 were against Ireland. Seriously now ?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #2179
Grover
Pro Starter

Great pic of Balotelli sharing a hug with his adoptive mother.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #2180
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

FORZA ITALIA

Excellent performance from the backline, Buffon, and of course Balotelli. After that I think they have a pretty good chance against Spain, not favored of course but maybe only 40-60 underdogs.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #2181
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Haven't watched yet, but had the scoreline spoiled by a g-d coworker who wasn't aware I cared. So I guess he's not a jerk really.

Anyways...I'm sure I'll have comments in a few hours when I'm done with the game.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #2182
Grover
Pro Starter

Reasons why I hate ESPN? Ignorance of television personalities.

Buy or Sell on Around the Horn was "Do you Buy or Sell Beckham not being on the Great Britain team?"

In Jemele Hill's answer she said "What does soccer mean in the grand scheme of the Olympics anyway?"

Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #2183
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Not to say ESPN is always right or anything, but doesn't the fact that the Olympic men's soccer tournament is for the U-23s kind of diminish it?

I love the sport and will probably watch quite a bit of the men's Olympic soccer when work or other stuff doesn't get in the way but I'm not really any more excited to watch that than I am the basketball, or even sports I rarely follow outside of the Olympics like swimming, track, etc.

It's not like women's soccer where the World Cup and the Olympics are 1A and 1B and everything else pales in comparison.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #2184
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Not to say ESPN is always right or anything, but doesn't the fact that the Olympic men's soccer tournament is for the U-23s kind of diminish it?

Definitely.

The Olympics are in the UK next month, but there are still something like 1 million soccer tickets unsold in a country where soccer is the number 1 sport by a mile. The only international soccer tournament worth talking about this summer is taking place in Poland\Ukraine right now.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #2185
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
[Italy] simply lack the players to score goals
I stand corrected. Well done, Balotelli.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #2186
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

so 6 years after Germany got rid of Klinsman and put in this other guy because he was the tactical genius and they havnt gotten any furthar despite now their players being in their primes.

yes i know they didnt "get rid" of klinsmann, but they all thought he was just a figurehead and the current guy (i cant remember his name) was the real brains behind their Germany 06 run. they played a bunch of kids then and got just as far as they been since
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #2187
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Yes, City beating United then losing to Newcastle.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #2188
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
FORZA ITALIA

Excellent performance from the backline, Buffon, and of course Balotelli. After that I think they have a pretty good chance against Spain, not favored of course but maybe only 40-60 underdogs.

This.

That 2nd goal by Balotelli was fucking NAILS.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #2189
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a guy named "mario" being upse that Italy is winning.

There are more Marios in the Germany squad than the Italian squad.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #2190
kingfc22
Head Coach

And here we go.

Rooting for Spain to get it done.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #2191
Grover
Pro Starter

Ian Darke makes Teddy Sherringham reference. 95% of American viewers have no idea who that is.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #2192
kingfc22
Head Coach

And ESPN's feed dies for me...
Old 07-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #2193
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ditto
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #2194
kingfc22
Head Coach

Looks like ESPN2 is also dead.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #2195
MIJB#19
Coordinator

What's the refs issue, whistling against Balotelli and pro Ramos all the time?

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-01-2012 at 02:13 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #2196
whomario
Pro Starter

2nd amazing goal by Spain, what a run by Alba and then the well timed pass by Xavi.

I´m afraid that´ll do it.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #2197
kingfc22
Head Coach

This team is ridiculous.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #2198
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

So, anyone want to complain Spain is boring?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #2199
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Ian Darke makes Teddy Sherringham reference. 95% of American viewers have no idea who that is.

95? I'd say 99. Also, the idea that Cassano is like Sheringham is hilarious.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #2200
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm loving this 2-0 halftime lead and Spain's absolutely stellar passing.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote