Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #2151
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's pretty disturbing. I'm sure there's weirdo die-hard fans in every city that would react this way, it's just disappointing that any counter-voice doesn't seem to be as loud.
Look at the Chris Brown response. I don't know how much is a youth/celebrity culture thing, and how much is an "urban" culture thing (I'm not just using that as code for black, because I saw a lot of the same stuff with mostly Hispanic people when Aaron Hernandez was arrested), but it's disturbing how many people in these cases aren't just forgiving the person or giving a 2nd chance, but actually vocally support the violent offender.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #2152
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Making the rounds on my social media today

Old 08-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #2153
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So Blaine Gabbett still sucks then...

Once again I'd love to thank the 49ers braintrust for giving my team anything for that guy.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #2154
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Watching the Bucs/Jags. Those Bucs uniforms are hideous.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #2155
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Probably not a good idea to sign a career backup who had a solid half season to be your starter when that means he's taken away from the team where he produced his only solid half season.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #2156
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

I hated the uniforms up until I saw them in this game. Now I'm warming up to them. Still, not totally on board, but at least I'm not angry when I see them!

Last edited by Dutch : 08-09-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #2157
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I read Lovie's post game interview, and had a bit of a nervous twitch, as deja vu struck.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #2158
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Bortles looked solid

Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #2159
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Bortles looked solid

He did. But I hope the Jags don't jump the gun and stick him out there week one. Let Henne take the abuse while he learns the pro game.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #2160
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He did. But I hope the Jags don't jump the gun and stick him out there week one. Let Henne take the abuse while he learns the pro game.

Totally agree, but it's nice to have...nice....things to say about a jags rookie QB for once in a decade.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #2161
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Johnny Football! Good lawd the hype is too much. That said, admittedly, I'm very curious to see him in action dammit.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #2162
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Johnny Football! Good lawd the hype is too much. That said, admittedly, I'm very curious to see him in action dammit.

I have to admit that I'm curious too and watching the game tonight for no other reason than to see how he does.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #2163
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Fitzpatrick looking terrible. I wonder how long they keep the rookie out.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #2164
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Oh, the hype is there. The announcers can't stop going on about him, even before he came in the game (albeit I think this is the Cleveland telecast on NFL Network). I will say, though, Manzel is looking pretty decent. He's got zip on his passes, he can make plays on the run. He's made a couple of decisions he shouldn't (taking hits or running when he should check down), but I haven't seen a bad pass yet.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #2165
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The only negative I saw with Manziel was his tendency to want to do things himself when the play was there to be made by a team mate. The option play on 3rd and 1 where the RB would have had an easy first down and Johnny failed to convert it to the outside, and the roll out play where his FB was wide open for an easy first down. Manziel still got the first on this play, but if the DE got him, that's another blown opportunity. As much as I would love to see him suck ass, he looked decent tonight.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #2166
Thomkal
Head Coach

my beloved Cards looking very good in preseason so far with a 32-0 win over the hapless Texans. All three QB's (Palmer, Stanton, Thomas) had TD drives with rookie Thomas looking surprisingly good 11/12 for 113 yards. The only real bad result was the lack of a running game-just 22 yards rushing in the first half and got tackled for a loss many times.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #2167
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I know the focus of the Lions/Browns pre-season game was all "Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel Johny Manziel"

That being said: Dan Orlovsky is the worst. He sucks the joy out of everything. He's a Black Hole of Suck. He's awful and he's a constant reminder of that horrible 0-16 season and that horrible play.

It's not that I'm worried about the backup, it's just that his presence on the team is a constant reminder of that horrible era and really brings into question the overall intelligence and talent evaluation of Mayhew and Caldwell. It hangs like a cloud over any possible progress or sign that these aren't the "S.O.L." or "Same Old Lions."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #2168
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 08-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #2169
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow on the Manning Brothers commercial. Not sure I was the intended audience for that lol. The Mannings certainly don't have a problem making a fool of themselves for TV do they?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #2170
Logan
Head Coach

Gotta be the most self-aware athletes in a long time...much more Peyton than Eli though, you can feel how uncomfortable he is most of the time.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #2171
Logan
Head Coach

Found this pretty interesting.

Watching the Rams-Saints preseason tilt with the NFL’s injury spotter | The MMQB with Peter King
Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #2172
gstelmack
Pro Starter

And yet we have the archaic replay system we're stuck with...
Old 08-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #2173
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
And yet we have the archaic replay system we're stuck with...

Things that make you scratch your head.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #2174
bhlloy
Coordinator

If I had to make a way too soon prediction based on a few drives of a preseason game, id say Bortles has a chance to be really good
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #2175
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If I had to make a way too soon prediction based on a few drives of a preseason game, id say Bortles has a chance to be really good
As a Colts fan I hope he goes the way of Blaine Gabbert or any of the other myriad of QBs the Jags have started over the years
Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #2176
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I had forgotten that Clausen was still in the league but then I had to try and see if I was remembering the right failed ND NFL QB.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #2177
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:

I have to agree. He made some good throws tonight, he looked off the safety and did those types of little things.. He threw accurately, he has the physical tools. I am impressed with him more than any other rookie QB so far, but I think Bridgewater will be good too.

FUCK EA
Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #2178
Logan
Head Coach

I understood questioning the Jags taking Bortles at 3, but what seems like such an overwhelming majority in the media thinking he was some kind of disaster waiting to happen never made any sense to me. He was really really good in college and has pretty much all the skills/attributes you look for in a QB. A learning curve is expected of course but if he has a good supporting cast there's no reason he can't be successful.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #2179
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I understood questioning the Jags taking Bortles at 3, but what seems like such an overwhelming majority in the media thinking he was some kind of disaster waiting to happen never made any sense to me. He was really really good in college and has pretty much all the skills/attributes you look for in a QB. A learning curve is expected of course but if he has a good supporting cast there's no reason he can't be successful.

This may be too much pop psychology, but I think that some of it has to do with his name. Blake Bortles sounds like kind of a joke name.

If he had been the exact same guy, but had been named Blake Jackson, I think that people may have taken him a bit more seriously.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #2180
Logan
Head Coach

Ha fair point. Not sure if anyone ever listens to the fairly popular "Solid Verbal" podcast but the hosts had a lot of fun with his name last year.

Honestly though, one look at his girlfriend should be enough to think of him as the prototypical QB.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #2181
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
As a Colts fan I hope he goes the way of Blaine Gabbert or any of the other myriad of QBs the Jags have started over the years

And as a jags fan I hope he goes the way of Brunell and....uh....Brunell. And you know, not Leftwich, Gabbert, Henne, Garrard or Beurlein. All of which were declared starters, and not just injury folks or hopefuls like Rob Johnson or Ryan Fitzpatrick. When your second best QB, of ALL TIME for your team is David Garrard...man...

So here we go Bortles!

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 08-16-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #2182
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

From the "you have to follow the team to get the significance" files, Saints CB Keenan Lewis went down with an undisclosed leg/foot injury last night.

The Saints are looking strong, but #2 CB (and CB depth in general) was the teams's biggest question.

If Lewis is lost for the season, that ends up converting a bad situation into a full-blown huge weakness for the team. A weakness that will become very apparent in week one against Roddy White and Julio Jones.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #2183
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Not sure Sam will make the Rams. He has looked overmatched today vs. the Packers so far today.

Last edited by BillJasper : 08-16-2014 at 05:25 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #2184
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure Sam will make the Rams. He has looked overmatched today vs. the Packers so far today.

Practice squad is calling.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #2185
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Cowboys defense is so bad, they've given up 14 points so far, and haven't even taken the field yet.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #2186
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Any Giants fans in the house? What are the odds Eli is a backup QB in less than two years? I'd say 80%. Seriously though, for fantasy purposes, wtf is happening with their passing game?

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 08-16-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #2187
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
And as a jags fan I hope he goes the way of Brunell and....uh....Brunell. And you know, not Leftwich, Gabbert, Henne, Garrard or Beurlein. All of which were declared starters, and not just injury folks or hopefuls like Rob Johnson or Ryan Fitzpatrick. When your second best QB, of ALL TIME for your team is David Garrard...man...

So here we go Bortles!

I feel ya. Between Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck us Colts fans had to suffer through a whole season with an unretired Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter, and Dan Orlovsky.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #2188
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Any Giants fans in the house? What are the odds Eli is a backup QB in less than two years? I'd say 80%. Seriously though, for fantasy purposes, wtf is happening with their passing game?

Odds are about 1%. Eli isn't the problem, the O-Line is total crap and they have no running game.

When Eli retires it will be as the starter.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #2189
BillJasper
Pro Starter

The Cowboys are just plain bad.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #2190
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just by looking at the scorebox, perhaps the Giants should start their 3rd stringers. After all they scored 27 points in the 4th quarter.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #2191
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Andy Dalton may not be a top tier QB, but he better stay healthy. The Bengals backups are quite possibly the worst in the league. Tonight they threw 35 times with an avg/att under 3.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #2192
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Practice squad is calling.

I doubt he'd make it to their practice squad. While the Rams are loaded at DL, he's shown enough that someone would claim him before he made it to their practice squad. There's a lot of teams that could use him.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #2193
Dutch
"Dutch"

ESPN is reporting that Sam got a sack.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #2194
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Andy Dalton may not be a top tier QB, but he better stay healthy. The Bengals backups are quite possibly the worst in the league. Tonight they threw 35 times with an avg/att under 3.

I'll be glad when Campbell is healthy again. Scott really shit the bed and blew what was probably the best chance he will ever have to make a career as a backup in the NFL. After as good as he looked last week, he was just ugly bad this week.

Dalton on the other hand.. Well, he looks like he either owns the Jets D, or he really has taken a step forward this off season. His deep balls were gorgeous, especially the one to Sanu.

FUCK EA
Old 08-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #2195
henry296
College Starter

Quote:

Steelers backups are just as bad.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #2196
Butter
Coordinator

Jason Campbell was terrible last week though, so if I were the Bengals I would not be standing pat on Jason Campbell just because he had one mediocre year under Hue Jackson.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #2197
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I'll be glad when Campbell is healthy again. Scott really shit the bed and blew what was probably the best chance he will ever have to make a career as a backup in the NFL.

I hear ya. I mean, if you are going to shit your way out of a backup job, at least do it so epicly bad that people in Europe are closing their windows. You want to shut down more flights than that Icelandic volcano. You want to hit high on the Richter scale of shits, you know?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #2198
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I'll be glad when Campbell is healthy again. Scott really shit the bed and blew what was probably the best chance he will ever have to make a career as a backup in the NFL. After as good as he looked last week, he was just ugly bad this week.

Dalton on the other hand.. Well, he looks like he either owns the Jets D, or he really has taken a step forward this off season. His deep balls were gorgeous, especially the one to Sanu.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, where's McCarron?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #2199
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He has a hurt shoulder. He's missed all of camp, so he'd be a huge risk for a 2nd qb. He'll probably be IRed so he can learn without taking a roster spot.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #2200
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
He has a hurt shoulder. He's missed all of camp, so he'd be a huge risk for a 2nd qb. He'll probably be IRed so he can learn without taking a roster spot.

I concur.

Dola? Dola.

Also, Jason Campbell is one of the top 5 backup QB's in the league. He was shaky in his first preseason start, no big deal. He'll be fine.

Undola'd

FUCK EA