Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #22051
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

'I’m going to keep pushing.' Anthony Fauci tries to make the White House listen to facts of the pandemic | Science | AAAS

Fauci says so much with so little. He is a god damn hero.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #22052
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
A: We're in the task force. We sit down for an hour and a half, go over all the issues on the agenda. And then we proceed from there to an ante room right in front of the Oval Office to talk about what are going to be the messages, what are the kind of things we're going to want to emphasize? Then we go in to see the president, we present [our consensus] to him and somebody writes a speech. Then he gets up and ad libs on his speech. And then we're up there to try and answer questions.

Trump must hate him
Old 03-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #22053
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
dola- he is also going after every media outlet

Talk about the classic definition of demagogue.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #22054
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Over the last few years, I've had a fair amount of contempt for the decent and smart people who have stayed with the administration and given it credibility so that they could "do good from the inside." I've generally considered them cowards.

But Fauci has gotten me to realize that I was being way too simplistic in my thinking. We really do need smart and decent people on the inside, and thank God we have one right now.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #22055
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

But Fauci has gotten me to realize that I was being way too simplistic in my thinking. We really do need smart and decent people on the inside, and thank God we have one right now.

For how long is the question. Fauci isn't exactly being subtle.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:30 AM   #22056
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wonder if you polled JUST Trump supporters if they could only hear from one person during this situation, either Fauci or Trump, who they would pick.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #22057
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Over the last few years, I've had a fair amount of contempt for the decent and smart people who have stayed with the administration and given it credibility so that they could "do good from the inside." I've generally considered them cowards.

Not everyone is looking to gain, personally or politically. We've seen several of them speak up over the past several months.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #22058
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Not everyone is looking to gain, personally or politically. We've seen several of them speak up over the past several months.

Yeah, I was painting with too broad of a brush with my criticism.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #22059
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Trump must hate him

Can you imagine if Trump tries to replace him? Holy shit...
Old 03-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #22060
Thomkal
Head Coach

It's ironic that Republicans might lose votes in the Senate right now due to self-quarantine Republican senators.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #22061
Edward64
Head Coach

Fauci has the most job security of anyone right now. I am looking forward to his memoirs one day.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #22062
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
It's ironic that Republicans might lose votes in the Senate right now due to self-quarantine Republican senators.

I think that's being overplayed. The basic idea that they need some Dems to get to 60 and then the House was true before any quarantines.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #22063
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Can you imagine if Trump tries to replace him? Holy shit...
I think this week is going to be truly insane. Wouldn't at all be surprised at all if we see a meltdown from him that makes everything we've seen to date tame by comparison.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #22064
PilotMan
Head Coach

Agreed. This week could be incredible for everything. I'm sort of dreading it, but thankful that I'm home.

Like Steam?

Old 03-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #22065
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Fauci has the most job security of anyone right now. I am looking forward to his memoirs one day.
I would have agreed with you, but, ummm...
Quote:
According to a new report from The New York Times, President Donald Trump is becoming increasingly irritated at the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Dr. Anthony Fauci, over his “blunt approach” and statements that correct Trump’s claims at Covid-19 press conferences.
“Mr. Trump has become frustrated with Dr. Fauci’s blunt approach at the briefing lectern, which often contradicts things the president has just said, according to two people familiar with the dynamic,” The New York Times reported.
Trump has given Fauci more “leeway” rebuke him due to the fact that “Mr. Trump knows that Dr. Fauci is seen as credible with a large swath of the public and with journalists.”
But that leeway could have a limit. “The president has also resisted portraying the virus as an existential threat in a way that the public health experts have,” the Times writes.
The report further outlines a growing frustration from the president aimed at a variety of medical professionals and experts in the White House over their proposals, which he perceives as a hindrance to the economy.
“The White House, in recent days, there has been a growing sentiment that medical experts were allowed to set policy that has hurt the economy, and there has been a push to find ways to let people start returning to work,” the Times reported.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #22066
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Moscow Mitch currently on the senate floor destroying the dems with claims that include them trying to attach the green new deal to the stimulus bill. I hope that’s not true. You really can’t believe anything anymore.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #22067
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hearing the false indignation in his voice disgusts me.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #22068
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Not sure why the House doesn't just pass a sensible bill and make the discussion about whether the Senate chooses to pass it or not.

Maybe the members are not all there?
Old 03-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #22069
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

He is painting them into a corner. If they pass today he is the hero that got it done. If they don’t he is painting them as the villain.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #22070
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It isn't like they don't have access to microphones.

The Dems need to grow a spine and not cave. Lives and the American economy are at stake.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-23-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #22071
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure why the House doesn't just pass a sensible bill and make the discussion about whether the Senate chooses to pass it or not.

Maybe the members are not all there?

This. Arguing piece by piece on GOP territory is a losing game. Pass the bill you want and show the different priorities to the people.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #22072
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The House decided not to be a part of this at the beginning of the process, and didn't want to be around until there was something to vote on, thereby abdicating to the Senate. I think it should have started in the House as I've said, and frankly that's on Pelosi at least in part. She chose to let McConnell set the agenda, probably out of a desire to not appear partisan in a crisis. But if you're going to play it that way then you need to have a better endgame plan on this bill than the one we're currently seeing. This deadlock is good for nobody.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #22073
Comey
College Starter

Didn't the House pass a package last week, only for the Senate to ignore it? What am I missing here?

(I've been a bit sick and rather tired over the past few days, so I haven't paid as much attention as I normally do, so I apologize if I have erred.)

This is what I'm referring to: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ouse-vote.html

Last edited by Comey : 03-23-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #22074
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

GOP moving quickly to let 'em die:

Old 03-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #22075
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That was passed by the Senate and signed into law by Trump and was the second relief bill (first being the initial response one) . What's under discussion now is an entirely different bill, the 'third phase'; stimulus via direct payments to individuals and businesses, funding for medical professionals needs, loans etc. to attempt to keep the economy afloat.

ETA: It's cute to see people in official capacities pretending that we could preserve the 'booming' economy in the midst of a pandemic under any circumstance. That bald-faced lie alone should (but won't) be enough to disqualify them from re-election.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-23-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #22076
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So how can there have been two bills passed if the House did nothing?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #22077
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, Schumer isn't letting McConnell set the debate:

Jake Sherman on Twitter: "SCHUMER: “We Democrats are trying to get things done, not making partisan speech after partisan speech.â€

SCHUMER reminds McConnell that Mnuchin and Ueland are in with him — while McConnell is on the floor.

Man, things have gotten rough."

He says they're close, but won't let the bill proceed in this vote until all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #22078
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
So how can there have been two bills passed if the House did nothing?

They've done nothing since the second bill. Nobody's saying they haven't done anything coronavirus-related at all. . They literally left on recess and said they weren't returning until there was something to vote on, even though they should be taking the lead and both parties strongly agreed massive economic stimulus was necessary.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #22079
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
GOP moving quickly to let 'em die:

Which is so strange since the hardest hit will be a large part of their base.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #22080
PilotMan
Head Coach

Our company told us they have a week to get this done. Sooner the better, after that, it's gonna get really, really sporty.

Like Steam?

Old 03-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #22081
miked
College Starter

Delta has been reporting profits in the low billions for years now, where did all that go? Stock buy backs? Bonuses? I know this is a hard hit area, but I'm a bit unclear how a company that built up profits of probably 20-30 billion over the last 5 years is undone like 3 weeks in to a travel bomb. Their revenue was like 46b and expenses around 40b...and they are not going to zero right now since airlines are carrying cargo.

Maybe I just don't understand balance sheets either but most carriers have cut costs by furloughing people and parking planes, so where is all the $$$$?
Old 03-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #22082
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Assume they had two years worth of profits saved up and they were able to cut costs by a quarter. That's 12b savings, 30b in costs. In other words, they'd run out of money in a few months. And you know they don't have that much, most corporations are constantly putting their money to use in some way. Stock buybacks yes, or investing in some other thing, or bonuses, or whatever they think is best.

This has always been the risk of the way modern economies run. You don't keep up with the Joneses by putting money away and being conservative. You do it by buying on credit, running tight margins, etc. Most of the time it works. Times like this it's asking for disaster. Short-term thinking, relying on credit at every level of the economy - just look at credit cards, consumer car loans averaging over $500/mo. in payments for something that loses half it's value the second you drive it off the lot, etc.

The piper is rounding the bend, and he isn't happy. When you make decisions assuming the future will be like the past, bad things happen eventually.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #22083
miked
College Starter

I guess I was not thinking about profit sharing and re-investment, I thought that would be covered in the expenses (like if an airline bought an oil refinery it would already be reflected in the numbers). Do any of these corporations actually save some of their profits for a rainy day, or just buy stock back and pay bonuses?
Old 03-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #22084
Jas_lov
College Starter

Dems have blocked today's vote as well..And Senators are still gathering in groups on the floor. Didn't they learn from Rand Paul?

Last edited by Jas_lov : 03-23-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #22085
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Dems have blocked today's vote as well..And Senators are still gathering in groups on the floor. Didn't they learn from Rand Paul?

Just like everyone else, probably even moreso: they're invincible right up until they're not

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #22086
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I guess I was not thinking about profit sharing and re-investment, I thought that would be covered in the expenses (like if an airline bought an oil refinery it would already be reflected in the numbers). Do any of these corporations actually save some of their profits for a rainy day, or just buy stock back and pay bonuses?

Delta sold theirs and they lost a lot of money on it.

Like Brian said, it's a very tight industry. If you don't spend what your competitors, both foreign and domestic, spend on any one area you will lose market share. It's all about the investment to maintain market share. That means, safety, reliability, schedule controls, service, efficiency. If you lose in any one of those areas you're going to lose your advantage. Try and do all that, turn a profit, and do things better than your competitors. It's not an industry that lets you be conservative. A company with an increasingly small market share is a company that will go out of business unless it makes some major changes.

Like Steam?

Old 03-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #22087
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The mixed messages from this administration, while not surprising, are completely maddening.

trump puts out that tweet, then a bunch of retweets, basically stating he thinks we need to loosen up.

Meanwhile the Surgeon General is saying this week is going to be much worse and the secretary of defense is telling us about how the field hospitals being set up.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #22088
Edward64
Head Coach

Saw the Pelosi speech. I have no idea why she spoke about ACA concerns and asking Trump to stop the attack on it.

I would have spent the time spelling out why there is a stalemate - talk about the Dems plan, the slush fund, talk about lack of accountability etc. whatever.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #22089
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Schumer basically said the afternoon vote wasn't going to pass.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #22090
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
The mixed messages from this administration, while not surprising, are completely maddening.

trump puts out that tweet, then a bunch of retweets, basically stating he thinks we need to loosen up.

Meanwhile the Surgeon General is saying this week is going to be much worse and the secretary of defense is telling us about how the field hospitals being set up.

And more states are taking action on their own with shelter in place including West Virginia. Wish they'd just do it nationally.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #22091
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Saw the Pelosi speech. I have no idea why she spoke about ACA concerns and asking Trump to stop the attack on it.

Because Trump insisted during a press conference that he's going to get rid of it and bring in magical health care where everyone gets a pony.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #22092
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Spoiler
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #22093
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Because Trump insisted during a press conference that he's going to get rid of it and bring in magical health care where everyone gets a pony.

I want a pony

also I have this box of tictacs. So why doesn't everyone just take a tictac. They're good. They taste good It might work. You never know
I like being optimistic. I happen to like tictacs. It could work..
Old 03-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #22094
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I would have spent the time spelling out why there is a stalemate - talk about the Dems plan, the slush fund, talk about lack of accountability etc. whatever.

oh but she's so scared to say anything bad...

fighting against tyranny might jeopardize her electibility...
Old 03-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #22095
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Oh okay. I didn’t see that press conference. Still seem better if the Dems talked about why there was a stalemate, the sticking points etc
Old 03-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #22096
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

The Trump Administration is currently suing to end the ACA. It is going to head to the Supreme Court in the next year. Would be a real inopportune time for a bunch of people to lose their health care.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #22097
tarcone
Coordinator

Congress being Congress. Trying to figure out how to pad their own pockets, one way or another.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #22098
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I will be the oversight.

-Trump on the 500 billion.

Yeah, no.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #22099
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, the democratic House bill is out:

Sahil Kapur on Twitter: "House Democrats just introduced their $2.5 trillion coronavirus stimulus package.

The 1,404 page bill: https://t.co/yBZCJH8IJH

The one-page summary 👇… https://t.co/SMhyvJsPsE"
Old 03-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #22100
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No bill will be perfect, and there's a lot of good stuff in there. But IMO

** It's a mistake to assume large corporations will be fine. They're an easy target but having no targeted bailouts to them here according to the summary is a big mistake; they are no less vital to the economy than small businesses.

** I don't see anything specifically mentioned in there relating to ramping-up the needed equipment production, or appropriating buildings to be used for quarantine purposes, etc. It does no good to require PPE of health care facilities if there aren't any PPE to be had. I don't know how much of that is under Trump's purview and how much is Congress's.

** I don't think this is the right time to be worrying about educational institutions. Get through the pandemic first, then concern yourselves with them. If they have to shut down for a year then so be it, we have bigger problems at the moment.