Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #2201
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought last night's episode was great. Much, much better than the prior episode.

The cast is getting rather large. They've added Tarra, Abraham and the two people he was with, and threw Carol back into things. Though they did subtract Hershel and the Governor from last season. They have no problem thinning the heard.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #2202
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That was my son's theory ... but what was up with the small shoe then?

Didn't they walk by the smashed grapes?

I don't like how this show was mind numbingly straightforward the first 3 years and then it's become way more subtle out of nowhere the past year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #2203
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
IMO it was that young dude Amy liked. I think their sequence took place after the big zombie fight. That was the same place, right?

Who the hell is Amy?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #2204
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The blonde singing chick. Her name might not be Amy tho. Lol.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #2205
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Apologies. Her name is Beth. Lol
Old 02-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #2206
SteveMax58
College Starter

Funny....I think somebody else called her Amy in the thread. But everytime I see it I get who everybody is talking about because I keep forgetting her name as well.

BTW...is it wrong that I noticed she matured from last season? I assume the actress has to be 18(ish) by now right?
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #2207
stevew
Hall Of Famer

She's almost 30.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #2208
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I started the whole Amy-misnaming thing I think.

My bad.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #2209
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate that they brought back the baby. I guess it will be that much specialer when Rick and Kawowl are reconnected.

Anyone else notice how Maggie completely dumped her accent at one point last night? Between her and Rick they need to invest some more money in diction coaches. Rick and Jax Teller need to do a bad accent off contest.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #2210
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
BTW...is it wrong that I noticed she matured from last season? I assume the actress has to be 18(ish) by now right?

I said that to my wife also. I thought she might be a different actress but they definitely are dressing her different and having her act different than when she was on the farm. Back then she acted like she was like a 12-year old girl.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #2211
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Anyone else notice how Maggie completely dumped her accent at one point last night?

Well to be fair she has a natural British accent. Any American accent is still some work for her. I'd still hit it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-17-2014 at 08:17 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #2212
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Anyone else notice how Maggie completely dumped her accent at one point last night? Between her and Rick they need to invest some more money in diction coaches. Rick and Jax Teller need to do a bad accent off contest.

I didn't, but I do know she acted the hell out of that scene on the bus.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #2213
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I said that to my wife also. I thought she might be a different actress but they definitely are dressing her different and having her act different than when she was on the farm. Back then she acted like she was like a 12-year old girl.

She's 28 years old.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #2214
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I didn't, but I do know she acted the hell out of that scene on the bus.

It was the scene before that coming out of a commercial break. I rewound it cause I was like, "who the F is this British chick? "

I usually barely pay attention to TWD and listen to the screen while I'm doing something else.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #2215
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
She's almost 30.
Woah....must have Macchioitis or something because I honestly thought she was a child last season.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #2216
SteveMax58
College Starter

I didnt notice Maggie slipping into British voice but I definitely noticed when she must have come back to her southern drawl because it was so much more over the top than anything she was saying before. But I give her a pass because well, I'm sexist like that.

On the other hand, I really want to like Rick but can't stop hoping he gets eatin by zombies that are on fire.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #2217
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, Maggie's accent was WAY off. I was actually focusing more on "was her accent that clearly bad last season" moreso than the words she was saying.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #2218
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I'm fairly certain I've ranted about this in others threads before but I have to say the whole "I'm was born and raised in London but I'm acting as a sheriff from the deep south USA" makes me crazy. Very few pull it off well.

(and don't get me wrong, the whole "I grew up in Pittsburgh but I'm playing a Brit" makes me just as crazy)

What happens is that I realize something is off and then I focus on that almost to the point of it being unhealthy and it kind of spoils things for me. I'm sure I'm in a minority here but please please Casting Directors... hire people with the proper accent so I'm not driven insane!

This came to a head with me when I watched Battlestar Galactica and right off the bat I noticed something odd with Jamie Bamber. His accent was pretty damn good but there were certain things that made my head tilt. Thanks to google I found out he is from London. BAM! Now, whenever he spoke all I frackin did was analyse his every word.

You can't tell me they couldn't find actors with genuine American Southeast accents to play these parts. I know it is super nit picky but it makes me crazy.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #2219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
You can't tell me they couldn't find actors with genuine American Southeast accents to play these parts. I know it is super nit picky but it makes me crazy.

In this instance, on the whole, I think I'd have preferred they change the location to fit the actors instead of the other way around.

Honestly, I've seen very little about TWD that really requires it to be in any particular place (aside from the CDC reference early on)
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #2220
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I cannot stand that people die so easily after killing off a bunch of zombies.. they take a breather and one sneaks up on them and just miraculously gets a bite in.I would rather see them trip over a dead zombie and get bit that way than be snuck up on... they lived so long already, they're not gonna be an easy kill.

Also the Carol being in the woods and hearing a branch snap and be on alert and STILL be snuck up on. I know it makes it lame and boring when all the zombies die easily.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #2221
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In this instance, on the whole, I think I'd have preferred they change the location to fit the actors instead of the other way around.

Honestly, I've seen very little about TWD that really requires it to be in any particular place (aside from the CDC reference early on)

Good point and really in the comic books Rick is from Kentucky.

I think rural PA would have been a good compromise. Having a news caster accent up here isn't far fetched and they could have had Maggie as a cousin from England that moved here a few years ago. Rick, would be a problem but they could have found somebody else though Andrew Lincoln is a great Rick (accent aside). Could he have been another British ex-pat that became a sheriff of a small town middle Pennsylvania sheriff?

Could have actually made things more interesting.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #2222
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Also the Carol being in the woods and hearing a branch snap and be on alert and STILL be snuck up on. I know it makes it lame and boring when all the zombies die easily.

You mean Beth right?

None of us can get her name right. We should just call her Herschel's youngest daughter.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #2223
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
Good point and really in the comic books Rick is from Kentucky.

I think rural PA would have been a good compromise. Having a news caster accent up here isn't far fetched and they could have had Maggie as a cousin from England that moved here a few years ago. Rick, would be a problem but they could have found somebody else though Andrew Lincoln is a great Rick (accent aside). Could he have been another British ex-pat that became a sheriff of a small town middle Pennsylvania sheriff?

Could have actually made things more interesting.

trying to stay warm would have been a good theme as well. Set the show in the allegheny forest or something, there's a lot of small cities there surrounded by nothingness for miles.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #2224
DanGarion
Coordinator

Old 02-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #2225
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You mean Beth right?

None of us can get her name right. We should just call her Herschel's youngest daughter.

The crossbow dude and Carol moment when he saved the day again
Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #2226
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
The crossbow dude and Carol moment when he saved the day again

Carol is the short haired older woman who finds Tyrese and the kids.

The crossbow dude is with Beth.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #2227
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Carol is the short haired older woman who finds Tyrese and the kids.

The crossbow dude is with Beth.

You are correct!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #2228
SteveMax58
College Starter

Seems appropriate considering the recent discussion....

Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #2229
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I feel like a complete idiot.

Until a few minutes ago it never crossed my mind that Rosita was Suzie Crabgrass.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #2230
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That one dude at the house, Jeff Kober(mayor on Sons of Anarchy), seems like way too big of an actor to just play a one off type role. I wonder if we'll see the crew from the house again.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #2231
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That one dude at the house, Jeff Kober(mayor on Sons of Anarchy), seems like way too big of an actor to just play a one off type role. I wonder if we'll see the crew from the house again.

Yeah - was funny seeing him there. Wonder if maybe he's just a big fan of the show though?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #2232
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Yeah - was funny seeing him there. Wonder if maybe he's just a big fan of the show though?

That was something I had considered.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #2233
Bonegavel

Quote:

My exact thought. If this is a seed they plant that comes to fruition a long ways down the road I would be happy with that too. A bit of a change in story telling.

I don't know the typical turn around time but his IMDB page isn't updated with this appearance as of today.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #2234
SteveMax58
College Starter

Good episode in all.

I thought Rick in the house was pretty well done (other than the guy on the crapper not actually using the crapper).

I don't know the comic story (purposely) so the mullet genius seems kind of an odd storyline being merged but, I'm rolling with it. Liking the Abraham character already and the (I suspect) dynamics this might bring to the larger group story.

Nothing too much to nitpick honestly except maybe this.
Spoiler

Last edited by SteveMax58 : 02-24-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #2235
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Those guys were The Hunters from the comics, maybe? Due to them being all secretive of what his character is it would appear that maybe he plays Chris?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #2236
stevew
Hall Of Famer

i assumed that the
Spoiler
and that's what caused the commotion.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #2237
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
i assumed that the
Spoiler
and that's what caused the commotion.
Ah good call...did not occur to me.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #2238
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Another pretty solid episode.

The scene with Rick in the house was incredibly tense. Yeah, walkers are dangerous and all, but things really ratchet up a few notches when other (heavily armed) people get involved.

And, yes, Rick choked the guy out in the bathroom and then purposefully opened the bathroom door just a bit, knowing that the guy would eventually "turn" and perhaps cause a distraction or something along those lines. Yes, the timing worked out perfectly, but it's TV. That's how it do.

It's very weird just how... comic booky Abraham, Rosita and smart guy look. I mean, they really look just like they do in the comic. It's a bit odd. Decent adds to the cast.

As for the guy on the porch, I knew he looked familiar. My first thought was that I had seen him on "Buffy" (never watched Sons of Anarchy) and I had. I could definitely see that group show up again at some point.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #2239
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Good episode in all.

I thought Rick in the house was pretty well done (other than the guy on the crapper not actually using the crapper).

I don't know the comic story (purposely) so the mullet genius seems kind of an odd storyline being merged but, I'm rolling with it. Liking the Abraham character already and the (I suspect) dynamics this might bring to the larger group story.

Nothing too much to nitpick honestly except maybe this.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 02-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #2240
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I enjoy the characters in last night's episode a lot more than the ones from last weeks (and from the preview next week's). I guess I'm just not big on little girls and baby in peril and while I enjoy Daryll I don't have any investment into the girl he is with and could care less if she dies. Seems like it would have been better to pair half of last nights with half of next week's and vice versa. Hopefully they don't continue doing this for much longer but I think one of you guys said it was a way to pay the actors less or something.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I almost forgot D'Angelo Barksdale and Maggie. Shows how much I care about that storyline.

Last edited by panerd : 02-24-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #2241
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

This show is losing me fast. The characters are constantly re-written to be as dumb as they need to be to suit whatever situation the writers want to put them in, and so far Beth is just a non-starter as a leading character.

Daryl and Carol, they only genuinely interesting characters on the show, are again being given absolutely nothing to work with.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #2242
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
This show is losing me fast. The characters are constantly re-written to be as dumb as they need to be to suit whatever situation the writers want to put them in, and so far Beth is just a non-starter as a leading character.

Daryl and Carol, they only genuinely interesting characters on the show, are again being given absolutely nothing to work with.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #2243
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I agree with him on the Beth thing. Doesn't mean I hate the show but I have zero feelings about the Beth character. Kind of like how I felt about Andrea last season.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #2244
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I agree with him on the Beth thing. Doesn't mean I hate the show but I have zero feelings about the Beth character. Kind of like how I felt about Andrea last season.

Beth has been pretty much a non-factor since she was introduced. She sings melancholy songs ever so often, took care of baby Judith and... Yeah. That's about it.

As for Andrea, by the end, I kind of wanted her to go. She had become pretty insufferable. I don't have that feeling for Beth, because, like you, I have zero feelings as opposed to negative feelings.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #2245
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Beth has been pretty much a non-factor since she was introduced. She sings melancholy songs ever so often, took care of baby Judith and... Yeah. That's about it.

As for Andrea, by the end, I kind of wanted her to go. She had become pretty insufferable. I don't have that feeling for Beth, because, like you, I have zero feelings as opposed to negative feelings.

While I disagree with him strongly since I enjoy Rick's group and the Abraham group. I do have to agree from next week's previews that I won't enjoy an episode spent watching Daryll continually save Beth from a zombie attack. His character does seem like it is being wasted right now. I assume these groups will come together sooner than later but right now I find the Daryll/Beth (and Cutty/Carol) storylines pretty pointless and uninteresting.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #2246
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope she gets eaten before she can sing again. Also random character singing in TV/movies is really bad. Even if the person has talent.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #2247
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
While I disagree with him strongly since I enjoy Rick's group and the Abraham group. I do have to agree from next week's previews that I won't enjoy an episode spent watching Daryll continually save Beth from a zombie attack. His character does seem like it is being wasted right now. I assume these groups will come together sooner than later but right now I find the Daryll/Beth (and Cutty/Carol) storylines pretty pointless and uninteresting.

The Daryll/Beth stuff, so far, hasn't been great. But, then again, we've only seen a bit of it. This next episode seems to focus on them quite a bit, if not, entirely. So, we'll have to see.

I liked the Tyrese storyline. Tyrese was in need of some major character repair. He was kind of a crazy-man asshole for much last the first half of the season. He needs to be redeemed a bit and caring for Judith and the little girls is a decent way to handle that. I thought they did a good job of showing how difficult it is to try to survive and keep an infant alive. And the whole Tyrese/Carol relationship has the potential to get quite combustible if he ever learns that she was the one that killed his girlfriend. That hangs over that crew.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #2248
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I hope she gets eaten before she can sing again. Also random character singing in TV/movies is really bad. Even if the person has talent.

Ping any Ed Helms character! STFU!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #2249
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As two-screen experiences go, Chandler Riggs' Twitter is probably my favorite.

ChandlerRiggs ‏@ChandlerRiggs 2m
Ummm. OK...No more moonshine for Mr. Dixon.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #2250
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to guess there will be much bitching about this episode.
I'm fine with it.

For better or worse, characters have to be people to or else there's nothing to attach to.