Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #2201
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Dark Knight - 9.5/10
Not quite sure what to give it. I wouldn't say it's 10/10, but I liked a lot about it. The story is good, every actor but Maggie Gyllenthal (or however you spell it) does a great job, and Joker was awesome. There were a few parts I didn't like, but overall a very solid movie.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #2202
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Dark Knight - 9.5/10: Great performances all around (especially Ledger's Joker and Eckhart's Dent) and a very good story about the cusp of evil we are all on elevate this movie from mere comic book movie. This isn't just about great action (though that's there), but also has a message and a very, dark and forboding tone. Ledger's Joker was one of the more frightening villians we've ever seen and played perfectly. Bale almost seems like an afterthought, but is central to the main theme of the movie and he plays his shadowy role very well.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-21-2008 at 10:31 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #2203
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

The Dark Knight - 10/10.

I highly doubt I'll see a better movie this year, in theaters, through netflix, on tv, at all...
One big thing that comes to mind when I rate a movie is how much I want to see it again, and after sleeping on it- without a doubt I will see this at least one more time in theaters, could be 2 more times- which for me (go to the movies about once ever 3-4 months) is very very rare.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #2204
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Hellboy 8/10

With the second one here I decided to finally see the first one . Pretty good flick, the ending was somewhat annoying, otherwise a good movie. Now for Hellboy 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #2205
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Get Smart - 5/10

Never seen the original show, so it was completely new to me. I'm sure when it started, it was an incredibly fresh idea. but by now, this type of movie/character has been done to death. i couldnt get a good feel for carrell's character. is he smart but bumbling? oblivious but bad in the field? competent or not? im still not entirely sure. which is bad for the film. still laughed a few times though.

hancock - 6/10

great idea, not the best execution. i kind of thought the twist was going to start a good vs bad deal, not go the way it did. i agree with people who said it was too short. and good lord does berg love EXTREME closeups, but i shouldve known that from friday night lights. in the end, it could have been so much more - cooler, more action, more drama, excitement, funnier...it just didnt live up to its potential, to the point where i cant see it becoming a franchise.

cool hand luke - 6.5/10

um...this movie is IDENTICAL to one flew over the cuckoos nest. which i found amazingly odd. i kept saying throughout the entire movie "nothing is happening, but im enjoying this". it is slow, to the point where almost the entire first half of the movie can be skipped and you barely miss anything. but newman was damn good (even if the guy who won best supporting SUCKED, truly baffling there). i wouldnt watch this movie again, though.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #2206
rowech
Pro Starter

The Dark Knight (8/10) -- Perhaps the movie was too blown out of proportions after reading so many reviews....I was somewhat disappointed with it. Felt it dragged in a couple of places, thought the ending kind of felt short of the rest of the movie as well. Hardly terrible but not as glowing here as with others....I think I liked Batman Begins better.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #2207
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
cool hand luke - 6.5/10

um...this movie is IDENTICAL to one flew over the cuckoos nest. which i found amazingly odd. i kept saying throughout the entire movie "nothing is happening, but im enjoying this". it is slow, to the point where almost the entire first half of the movie can be skipped and you barely miss anything. but newman was damn good (even if the guy who won best supporting SUCKED, truly baffling there). i wouldnt watch this movie again, though.

You'd never watch Cool Hand Luke again? Dude, it's Cool Hand Luke! For shame!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #2208
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Dark Knight - 9/10

With all the hype I was expecting dissapointment... But holy shit was this a great movie! I had also presumed that most of the hype around Ledger was to do with him dying, but he knocks it out of the park. Ranks up there with the DDL's Butcher from Gangs of New York. My only complaint, and the reason why it's a 9 and not a 10, is that it felt about 1/2 hour too long. This was either to do with the late session I saw, or the fact that there were an awful lot of climaxes (baddy gets caught, put away, escapes, show down, repeat). But still, pretty amazing, and miles ahead of the 1st film, which was already pretty good.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #2209
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I noticed that Christian Bales is slated to star in "Killing Pablo", which appears to be filming now. That book was great, I can't wait to see the movie.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #2210
korme
Go Reds

The Dark Knight - Wow. Woww... I can't remember leaving a theatre and wanting a beer so badly. That was some intense shit! Ledger has got to be nominated for an Oscar... not saying he should win as there will surely be great competition later in the year, but he was fantastic. I'll go ahead and say the best villian ever. Not a stretch, so psychologically thrilling to watch. It was fantastic. It doesn't deserve the #1 movie of all-time pub it's getting from the IMDb fanbase, but I can see why tons of people were going apeshit with their 10/10 votes. I'll give it a 9/10. Christopher Nolan, job well done sir. The momentum building from the first minute to the finale was epic to watch.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #2211
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
I noticed that Christian Bales is slated to star in "Killing Pablo", which appears to be filming now. That book was great, I can't wait to see the movie.

I'm looking forward to that as well, because Javier Bardem (the bad guy from No Country for Old Men) is playing the role of Pablo Escobar.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 AM   #2212
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I'm looking forward to that as well, because Javier Bardem (the bad guy from No Country for Old Men) is playing the role of Pablo Escobar.

Very good point. For those of you who think Ledger played the best bad guy ever, you need to see Bardem in No Country. He was better. Granted he got to play on an R rated stage and that really helps. Ledger did good too.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:42 AM   #2213
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Anyone seen the trailer for Terminator Salvation?

http://wbads-42.vo.llnwd.net/e1/wbmo...TRL_MEDIUM.mov

Yes, starring Christian Bale.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 AM   #2214
Johnny93g
College Starter

The Dark Night 7/10

Batman Begins was better. We get to see Christian Bale act in Batman begins. We plays Bruce Wayne for the majority of that movie. In the Dark Knight, he is Batman for 3 quarters, and gets very little screen time as Bruce Wayne. It's pretty difficult to show off your acting chops as Batman. This is why Heath Ledger's performance dominates Bale.

Heath should get a nom for best supporting actor. Whether he win's, well, there's still lots of films left to be released.

It's too long, it had way too much Aaron Eckhart. I thought Gary Oldman was fantastic.

The best scenes all have to do with the Joker, and his schemes. Good job by the writers.

Overall, it's not even the best movie so far this year. I enjoyed In Brugges, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall more. I wouldnt even put it in the same category as last year's There Will be Blood, and No country for Old Men.

I guess I'm alot harder to please then you guys.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #2215
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

The Forgotten 7/10

My wife rented this one last night, I had never heard of it. Julianne Moore is the main character and the story is seen completely from her point of view. Not a bad movie, I saw where it was going about 1/3 into it. The ending was pretty crappy, and the alternate ending was even worse. Besides that though, it wasn't too bad.

Quote:
Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #2216
Pyser
Pro Rookie

butch cassidy and the sundance kid - 7/10

i dig this. pretty unconventional storyline, not your typical 3 act movie. good acting, fascinating chase scene, likable characters. glad i saw it.

when harry met sally - 8/10

best thing billy crystal ever did. well written, believable the whole way through, funny, the whole deal. cant believe id never seen it before. enjoyable.

click - 6/10

props to the click marketing department for hiding what this movie really is. pretty interesting moral, which i liked. cheap ending, but effective when you see how he learned his lesson. but some of the stuff in his "later" life was just horrible stuff. cant overlook that.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #2217
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Batman Begins was better.

I agree about Bale not getting the acting spotlight in this film, but disagree that the first was better. Begins really doesn't hold up to a second or third viewing for me, and Bale's "holy crusade" persona is a bit overdone and melodramatic. Plus that whole ninja society thing was more than a little tacky IMO.

Joker dominated Dark Knight, and the movie was much better for it. Gave the whole movie a really dark edge that the first didn't have.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #2218
Flasch186
Coordinator

anyone on Goya's Ghost yet?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #2219
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

Are you still banging that drum? Just be content that you like it instead of trying to get anyone else there.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #2220
Flasch186
Coordinator

i just wanted to have a mini discussion about something other than your faves like the Golden Girls or Matlock.

BTW when you get to be your age do you get a discount at Blockbuster or is it only on the favorites section(s)?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-23-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #2221
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Weak.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #2222
Flasch186
Coordinator

I was hoping you'd threaten me and I'd make commentary about the inefficiencies of your Musket but alas....

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #2223
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

It came today in the mail but my wife is not at all interested, thus I will probably not watch it either (can't sit in front of the tv by myself and watch a movie in this house).

Quote:
Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 PM   #2224
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I agree about Bale not getting the acting spotlight in this film, but disagree that the first was better. Begins really doesn't hold up to a second or third viewing for me, and Bale's "holy crusade" persona is a bit overdone and melodramatic. Plus that whole ninja society thing was more than a little tacky IMO.

Joker dominated Dark Knight, and the movie was much better for it. Gave the whole movie a really dark edge that the first didn't have.

I just recently watched Batman Begins after not seeing it sense released. I enjoyed it more the 2nd time. I have a feeling that watching the dark knight on DVD will result in me fast forwarding all the Eckhart scenes, just to watch all the Joker scenes.

Yes, Joker carries the movie, but i think that in itself hurts the rest of the movie. I think it's good, not great.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #2225
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I guess I'm alot harder to please then you guys.

Yup, so am I.

The Dark Night 7/10

I think the 9.5 rating in IMDB is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high. Granted, the action scenes were awesome and Heath Ledger was pretty incredible but still, too high. Ledger added his own little flavor with the lip smacking and mannerisms, but I'm not sure we should give him the Oscar yet.

I also felt it was half an hour too long and some parts were predictable. And I just couldn't get past Bale's voice when he played the Batman role... the low, deep voice was a little exaggerated and forced. Some guys can pull off a voice like that, but he can't. He did very well playing the "Playboy" Bruce Wayne, though.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #2226
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Be Cool 8/10

This movie was pretty damn funny and did what it wanted to do. It wasn't over the top funny, like others of its kind, but just comical enough to make you laugh. Travolta is still one of the best actors of the last 50 years in my opinion. Good movie, now I need to see Get Shorty...........

Quote:
Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #2227
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Be Cool 8/10

This movie was pretty damn funny and did what it wanted to do. It wasn't over the top funny, like others of its kind, but just comical enough to make you laugh. Travolta is still one of the best actors of the last 50 years in my opinion. Good movie, now I need to see Get Shorty...........

I'll never understand the fascination with Travolta. EVER.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #2228
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'll never understand the fascination with Travolta. EVER.

Not so much a fascination, more of an appreciation. I just enjoy the characters he plays, even if they all do kinda follow the same path.

Quote:
Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #2229
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not so much a fascination, more of an appreciation. I just enjoy the characters he plays, even if they all do kinda follow the same path.

I personally think he's a terrible actor. I liked him in Pulp Fiction and that was about it.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #2230
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I personally think he's a terrible actor. I liked him in Pulp Fiction and that was about it.

Pulp Fiction is a no-brainer, but what about Swordfish? Greece? Saturday Night Fever?

Quote:
Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #2231
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Pulp Fiction is a no-brainer, but what about Swordfish? Greece? Saturday Night Fever?

what, are you kidding me?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #2232
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
what, are you kidding me?

Yeah, actually I am. I hate that movie. My wife loves anything with dancing though, so I have been forced into watching it.

Quote:
Old 07-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #2233
st.cronin
General Manager

He wasn't even that good in Pulp Fiction.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #2234
rowech
Pro Starter

Didn't like any of those movies.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #2235
Calis
College Starter

I think Urban Cowboy was Travolta's tour de force.

I'm not sure what that says about him, but it's not good.

When Swordfish is one of the movies thrown out to talk about your greatness, there's an issue.

Lets throw in Michael and Battlefield Earth as reasons to like him while we're at it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #2236
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

When Swordfish is one of the movies thrown out to talk about your greatness, there's an issue.

Lets throw in Michael and Battlefield Earth as reasons to like him while we're at it.

Don't forget Phenomenon!!

"You learned the Portuguese language in twenty minutes?"

"Not all of it"
Old 07-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #2237
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Never said he was greatness, just said I like his acting. The more I think about it though, the more I realize that I only like a couple of his movies...

Quote:
Old 07-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #2238
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I cannot believe you guys are having a John Travolta discussion, and not mentioning his piece de resistance...his opus...one of the best movie roles ever created...

DANNY ZUKO!!!!!

Last edited by oliegirl : 07-25-2008 at 03:31 PM.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #2239
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
I cannot believe you guys are having a John Travolta discussion, and not mentioning his piece de resistance...his opus...one of the best movie roles ever created...

DANNY ZUKO!!!!!

Not sure what that is, but I was having better luck in the Saved By The Bell thread.

Quote:
Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #2240
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Not sure what that is, but I was having better luck in the Saved By The Bell thread.

Umm, Grease...this small movie you might have heard of. John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John...are you the only man alive to have not salivated over Sandy in her black vinyl pants???
Old 07-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #2241
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:

OMG, worst movie E V E R

Old 07-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #2242
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Yeah, actually I am. I hate that movie. My wife loves anything with dancing though, so I have been forced into watching it.

As you can see, I wasn't paying any attention to it whatsoever.

Quote:
Umm, Grease...this small movie you might have heard of. John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John...are you the only man alive to have not salivated over Sandy in her black vinyl pants???

Who is Sandy?

Quote:
Old 07-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #2243
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Old 07-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #2244
Lorena
Unregistered

I've never seen Grease but man, that looks like Sally Field
Old 07-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #2245
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I love Broken Arrow because of Travolta's character. Mofo even had his own theme music.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #2246
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I love Broken Arrow because of Travolta's character. Mofo even had his own theme music.

Oh yeah, Broken Arrow was a good flick for what it wanted to do. I still can't stand Christian Slater though.

Quote:
Old 07-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #2247
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I always preferred Sandy's preppy look.

Not that I wouldn't take either...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #2248
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Good lord.

You had to post that while I'm sitting at home alone on a Friday night.

Sigh.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #2249
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Mr. Woodcock - 7/10 - decent movie, had a few laugh out loud parts.. best part, it was $1.99 on pay per view
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #2250
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The Dark Knight - 8.5/10

This was an amazing story, with incredible acting. The things that brought it down (for me) were:
1) too much gratuitous violence and gruesomeness - don't get me wrong, Ledger played an absolutely psychotic Joker amazingly well. But sometimes, the violence he did seemed a bit out of character and just there for "shock" value. For example, the "magic trick" of making the pencil disappear is one of those that I thought was unnecessary, and somewhat out of character. I spent a good portion of the last 45 minutes of the movie looking at the screen through my hands.
2) the "Two-Face" story arc didn't quite make sense to me.
Spoiler
As one who doesn't know much about the comics, it sort of left me hanging and confused, with niggling questions.

Oh well. The movie scared me, but I still think it was well-worth seeing. If you haven't seen it yet, do so.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote