Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #22501
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

See this is where I have a problem. You don't know that they're doing this. It could be just that the 9th circuit has a different judicial philosophy than the Supreme Court and thus gets overturned more often than other circuits. But you're assuming they're making a policy preference.

Why can't we make inferences about peoples' motives based on their track record? Aren't we doing the same thing when politicians declare war, or when high school students wear a flag t-shirt or shout patriotic slogans, or when the NRA supports gun rights, etc? Why aren't you going after Butter of 69 for the inferences he made about the racist motives of the high school students? Did any of them announce their racism? If any judge or appellate court has been swayed by politics, they're not announcing in their rulings and opinions their opinions trump the relevant law and standards.

Last edited by molson : 02-28-2014 at 03:34 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #22502
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
There's a lot of false equivalence in what you're saying, however.

Unless you want to start giving us actual examples, I'll point out that when we talk about banning symbols of Christianity, it tends to be things like a monument to the 10 Commandments outside of a courthouse, or something like that. Which you're comparing to a school having a one-off Cinco de Mayo celebration (which has already been assimilated by the American beer industry anyway).

I mean, maybe you have examples where false equivalence isn't present, and if so, let's talk about those, than broad generalities where equivalence is simply implied.

You must have missed the point in my post where I said "I'm not saying they're right." I'm not making a legal argument defending the position. I just try to understand the tension from both sides. These are real people. I think that's a better place to find solutions for things, like SteveMax58 was talking about.

Last edited by molson : 02-28-2014 at 03:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #22503
Galaxy
Coordinator

So has Russia invaded Ukraine?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #22504
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Don't worry, Obama told them to stop it. Even wagged his finger.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #22505
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Don't worry, Obama told them to stop it. Even wagged his finger.

And your solution would be what - a unilateral ground war against Russia (in their backyard where they have logistical superiority no less?)? Nuking them?

Russia is a POS dictatorship, and what they're doing in Ukraine is reprehensible, but engaging in armed conflict with them over Ukraine...talk about a bad idea.

The international community has got to figure out some way to get them the fuck out of Ukraine's internal politics.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-28-2014 at 04:28 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #22506
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
The international community has got to figure out some way to get them the fuck out of Ukraine's internal politics.

Kill all the Russians in Eastern Ukraine?

This cycle in Ukraine will continue as long as they have what should be two different countries combined into one.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #22508
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

From my understanding of the treaty, the US and UK are only obligated to raise the issue with the security council of the UN (which Russia would probably veto any action).
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #22509
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Kill all the Russians in Eastern Ukraine?

This cycle in Ukraine will continue as long as they have what should be two different countries combined into one.

Yeah. I know it's simplistic but...my wife and I asked each other "why can't they just split up the country?"

Then I thought of the general trends for nations - they were formed in the first place by different tribes/peoples/regions conglomerating, then it seems like we hit a critical mass and now nations are starting to split up.

(Get ready, Texas. )
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #22510
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We'll ignore the call to war message and take the relations score hit.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #22511
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
We'll ignore the call to war message and take the relations score hit.

This was roughly my line of thinking earlier today as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #22512
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah. I know it's simplistic but...my wife and I asked each other "why can't they just split up the country?"

Then I thought of the general trends for nations - they were formed in the first place by different tribes/peoples/regions conglomerating, then it seems like we hit a critical mass and now nations are starting to split up.

(Get ready, Texas. )

The big problem is that I don't see the Ukraine giving up the Black Sea and becoming a landlocked country. Too much strategic value in that Russian part of the country.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #22513
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This was roughly my line of thinking earlier today as well.

Love it.

This just in! "War could've been avoided until we reminded England of treaty they had forgotten about"
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #22514
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

(Get ready, Texas. )

Well its slightly different here, as current Ukraine is basically as cobbled together as colonies in Africa were. The Soviet Union decided it wanted to separate itself into smaller administrative units. In the 50s, Kruschev gave Ukraine SSR the Crimea for administrative purposes. To assume it was ever a real unified country is silly - for most of its history the Eastern and Western parts were ruled by other countries.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #22515
lungs
Pro Rookie

This kind of puts things into focus:

Old 03-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #22516
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
This kind of puts things into focus:

It's two countries.

And darned if that doesn't remind me of any number of various maps of the U.S.

Jus sayin.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #22517
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's two countries.

And darned if that doesn't remind me of any number of various maps of the U.S.

Jus sayin.

I actually don't disagree with that though there are linguistic differences in Ukraine too. Although sometimes I wonder if people in the South are actually speaking English

Side hypothetical scenario: I've always been curious to see how much support a super liberal Presidential candidate could get in the South if part of that candidate's platform was to let the South go.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #22518
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Does anyone else think that Russia is just Putin us on?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #22519
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

We seem toothless in this situation. We won't be able to get the UN to do anything. We are already over-extended militarily. I don't know what the economic value of the Ukraine is for US-based entities, but I would imagine it isn't immense in the grand scheme of things.

Russia is next door, and there are actual Russians living in the Ukraine. They have shown a willingness to put their own "Monroe Doctrine" over the former Soviet states, as they did with Georgia a few years ago.

I am not sure just how much we can do. Obama throwing out a threat seems kinda silly.

Not that anything that is going on in the Ukraine is silly, of course. That's a very serious situation. But, still, I am struggling to see what exactly we can do about this, or Russia's decisions on it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #22520
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
We seem toothless in this situation. We won't be able to get the UN to do anything. We are already over-extended militarily. I don't know what the economic value of the Ukraine is for US-based entities, but I would imagine it isn't immense in the grand scheme of things.

Russia is next door, and there are actual Russians living in the Ukraine. They have shown a willingness to put their own "Monroe Doctrine" over the former Soviet states, as they did with Georgia a few years ago.

I am not sure just how much we can do. Obama throwing out a threat seems kinda silly.

Not that anything that is going on in the Ukraine is silly, of course. That's a very serious situation. But, still, I am struggling to see what exactly we can do about this, or Russia's decisions on it.

Yeah - all this
Old 03-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #22521
SFL Cat
College Starter

Ooooooo...better look out Putie, BHO is drawing lines not to cross again. These days, not too many foreign leaders pay much attention to what's coming out of this administration's pie-holes.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 03-01-2014 at 02:50 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #22522
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Ooooooo...better look out Putie, BHO is drawing lines not to cross again. These days, not too many foreign leaders pay much attention to what's coming out of this administration's pie-holes.

Figured this would be what you'd come up with. So you think that the military should intervene? Or are you saying the administration shouldn't say anything, so you can then criticize them for ignoring the situation?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-01-2014 at 03:52 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #22523
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

I wonder how similar this situation is to the situation eleven years ago this month when a certain former president received a similar authorization and decided to move forward. Certainly, there were many in Europe who were horrified.

What would we have done if China or Russia had stepped in with actual defense?

Diplomacy failed with Iraq, and the entire world is worse off for it. Entering World War III over this would cause enormous harm. I don't agree with Obama drawing arbitrary lines everywhere - they're making fun of him in Syria and Iran for good reason.

The only thing that seems to work is slowly building consensus and issuing sanctions. But maybe there isn't consensus available here. Maybe the right result is Ukraine splitting and the eastern half returning to Russia?

Right now, it just seems like Putin and Obama plain don't like each other, and Putin is a master at the international game - a luxury he has because Russia doesn't have to play by our rules.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #22524
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's basically right - entering World War III over this would be a horrible idea.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #22525
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
But this situation is a lot more similar to the Russian actions in Georgia than the US invading Iraq. As long as Putin stays away from Kiev, I don't think the international community wants to get involved.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #22526
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And think about this way, a democratically elected government (and international observers in 2010 verified the election) was ousted in a coup, cheer leaded by foreign powers, right next door to Russia. Their response isn't exactly all that surprising.

I mean what would the US do if the democratically elected government of Mexico was overthrown in a coup and China was cheerleading the new government? We'd throw a shitfit and send troops - Hell, wasn't that what we did in Grenada?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #22527
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Let's also not give too much credit to Putin. While he's throwing his weight around he's also wrecking the country. The non-RGO still sucks, the demographics still suck, corruption is endemic, the threat of terrorism is ever-present, etc.

Putin isn't some super-genius transforming Russia, he's just trying to ring up "victories" against the West to paper over the problems.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #22528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And think about this way, a democratically elected government (and international observers in 2010 verified the election) was ousted in a coup, cheer leaded by foreign powers, right next door to Russia. Their response isn't exactly all that surprising.

This is largely my thinking on the situation tbh, and I'll take it a step further I guess: not only is it not surprising, I really don't find it particularly offensive.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #22529
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Figured this would be what you'd come up with. So you think that the military should intervene? Or are you saying the administration shouldn't say anything, so you can then criticize them for ignoring the situation?

Didn't say that. But if BHO has no intention of doing anything (and I don't think he does), he should keep his mouth shut. Why make empty threats? You only hurt your credibility. Of course, when you have no credibility left, I guess you don't have to worry about flushing it down the toilet.

P.S. Also, don't try laying down the law after you've announced you're cutting troop levels to the lowest they've been since before World War II. Just a thought.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 03-01-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #22530
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
*Stem cell research executive order reversed. I hope this is the first thing he does.

*Gitmo closed. End of human rights abuses.

*Lots of liberal justices on the federal courts.

*A more thoughtful foreign policy. Listening to a wide variety of opinions instead of just a select few.

*Strengthened middle class that powers us out of the recession.

*More qualified people in important posts like FEMA director.

Wow, going back to the beginning and reading some of this stuff ... great o-fer...
Old 03-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #22531
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

It's really weird...it's as if some sort of malevolent spirit of evil had dedicated itself to try and block any kind of progress over the last five years. Spooky.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #22532
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
It's really weird...it's as if some sort of malevolent spirit of evil had dedicated itself to try and block any kind of progress over the last five years. Spooky.

Which is where the mandatory (or automatic) filibuster really hurts this administration. If you were able to bring up bills for votes, you could at least hold a congressman to his or her voting record. With so little coming to the floor, it's hard to point the finger.

There's always somewhere to point the finger, but in the end, if you're someone pointing the finger, you're part of the problem.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #22533
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:

Yes, it's amazing how you can get nothing of substance done when you have the White House and both houses of Congress (including a Super Majority in the Senate) during half of your first term. Oh wait, we got Obamacare ... check.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 03-02-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #22534
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Please see the 2008 Minnesota Senate election and the date of the winner being seated.

Also, please see the 2010 Massachusetts special election.

If you want to argue the Dems are politically ineffective, I'm with you, but the two years with a super majority argument is simply false.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:28 AM   #22535
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Didn't say that. But if BHO has no intention of doing anything (and I don't think he does), he should keep his mouth shut. Why make empty threats? You only hurt your credibility. Of course, when you have no credibility left, I guess you don't have to worry about flushing it down the toilet.

P.S. Also, don't try laying down the law after you've announced you're cutting troop levels to the lowest they've been since before World War II. Just a thought.

So your answer to what he should do is start a war or say absolutely nothing about a major international incident?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:36 AM   #22536
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So your answer to what he should do is start a war or say absolutely nothing about a major international incident?

I'm not saying I agree with him, but there are a lot more options at Obama's disposal than start a war, threaten Russia and do nothing. You're way oversimplifying Obama's options in order to make SFLCat look like a crazy guy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-03-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #22537
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow, going back to the beginning and reading some of this stuff ... great o-fer...

Tea Party did a heck of a job preventing progress...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #22538
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Tea Party did a heck of a job preventing progress...

Considering what some would term "progress", in that case all I can say is "Thank God for the Tea Party".
Old 03-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #22539
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Plenty of Putin's buddies have bought tons of property in London and the U.S. and put much of their money into banks based in these two countries (ironically, to protect it in case they run afoul of Putin).

Start freezing those accounts "while we look into allegations of impropriety".

That'll probably get his attention.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #22540
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
You're way oversimplifying Obama's options in order to make SFLCat look like a crazy guy.

And let's be fair, SFLCat needs no help making himself look like a crazy guy.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #22541
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Let's also not give too much credit to Putin. While he's throwing his weight around he's also wrecking the country. The non-RGO still sucks, the demographics still suck, corruption is endemic, the threat of terrorism is ever-present, etc.

Putin isn't some super-genius transforming Russia, he's just trying to ring up "victories" against the West to paper over the problems.

Thank you for a very much needed sanity check here.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #22542
SFL Cat
College Starter

Hate to rain on your sanity parade ... but the situation is a little more complex because of treaties in place. Not that we have to honor them ...

Treaty would mean 'British war with Russia' if Putin's troops intervene in Ukraine | Mail Online
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #22543
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:

Not that I disagree with this assessment, but that was enough to keep the Communists in business during the Cold War.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 03-03-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #22544
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Hate to rain on your sanity parade ... but the situation is a little more complex because of treaties in place. Not that we have to honor them ...

Treaty would mean 'British war with Russia' if Putin's troops intervene in Ukraine | Mail Online

The Budapest Memorandum does not contain any language that obligates a military defense of Ukraine.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #22545
SFL Cat
College Starter

The Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances is an international treaty signed on 5 December 1994, providing security assurances by its signatories in connection to Ukraine's accession to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. The Memorandum was originally signed by three nuclear-powers, the Russian Federation, the United States of America, and the United Kingdom. China and France later gave individual statements of assurance as well.

The deal included SECURITY (emphasis mine) assurances against threats or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine as well as those of Belarus and Kazakhstan. As a result Ukraine gave up the world's third largest nuclear weapons stockpile between 1994 and 1996.

Following the 2014 Crimean crisis, the US stated that Russian involvement is in breach of its obligations to Ukraine under the Budapest Memorandum, and in clear violation of Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 03-03-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #22546
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Budapest Memorandum wasn't brought to congress and is, therefor, not a binding treaty.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #22547
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

SFL Cat, what would you like done? You keep complaining about what is being done but don't seem to have an answer as to what you think should be done.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #22548
cartman
Death Herald

Here's the text:

4Budapest Memorandum

The security obligations are in the case Ukraine is attacked with nuclear weapons.

Quote:
4. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to seek immediate United Nations Security Council action to provide assistance to Ukraine, as a non-nuclear-weapon State party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, if Ukraine should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used

Last edited by cartman : 03-03-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #22549
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Can you show me a vote on where the US senate ratified this "treaty"? Can you also show where the language is in this "treaty" that obligates military intervention?

Ukraine. Memorandum on Security Assurances - Wikisource, the free online library

Edit: Damn, late to the party

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-03-2014 at 10:09 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #22550
SFL Cat
College Starter

Hmmmm, then maybe our state department shouldn't be saying the Russians are violating that treaty then. Better forward that text to the State Department. Anyhoo, we'll take it to the UN. Problem solved. Time to hit the links!