Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #2251
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm going to guess there will be much bitching about this episode.
I'm fine with it.

For better or worse, characters have to be people to or else there's nothing to attach to.

I mentioned to my wife that this should have been done earlier in the series. Very hard to care about a character that has been around for several seasons with no identity and now we get the back stories. Think the main issue is changing writers and each having their own direction, just feels like the show is becoming forced.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #2252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownkeg8 View Post
just feels like the show is becoming forced.

I dunno, in some ways this felt like one of the most "natural" episodes yet. If we accept the notion that Daryl is basically breaking down/reverting then this probably has to either happen or they have to show him basically letting Beth die. It has to go somewhere, having known pale variations of Daryl my whole life this is as believable as anything else would have been. There wasn't a Waffle House handy for them to have that conversation in so we get it in a different venue.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #2253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On a more nitpicky note, either that country club was in ill repair prior to the outbreak or they overdid it's rundown condition outside. There hasn't been that much time pass yet.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #2254
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
On a more nitpicky note, either that country club was in ill repair prior to the outbreak or they overdid it's rundown condition outside. There hasn't been that much time pass yet.

Lol - I thought the exact same thing.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #2255
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Another thing about this episode and an extended amount of time spent with Darryl. He's really one of the characters that the TV writers "own" the most, I wonder how much more of what they would like to do we see come out in him as opposed to the confines they work within for characters that belong to the graphic novels.

I don't have an answer for that, I do just sorta wonder.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #2256
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting Talking Dead note from one of those "behind the scenes" pop up video segments ... I'll spoiler it just for the west coast viewers I guess

Spoiler
Old 03-02-2014, 10:04 PM   #2257
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I figure they probably spent all episode rehabbing Amy so it's all the more dramatic when they kill her.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #2258
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm going to guess there will be much bitching about this episode.

God I hope not, probably a top 5 episode of the series. The stuff they're doing now should have been done in season 2 instead of watching Lori and Shane and Andrea be ridiculous at the farm for half a season.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #2259
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
God I hope not, probably a top 5 episode of the series. The stuff they're doing now should have been done in season 2 instead of watching Lori and Shane and Andrea be ridiculous at the farm for half a season.

This
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #2260
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I figure they probably spent all episode rehabbing Amy so it's all the more dramatic when they kill her.

Heh, heh, we have been over this, Stephen. Her name is BETH.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-03-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #2261
stevew
Hall Of Famer

*i threw Amy in there just because.

Was hoping Daryl would have hit that.

Last edited by stevew : 03-03-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #2262
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought the opening scene was fantastic with the two of them hiding in the trunk over night. Very tense and well shot.

Things kind of slid a bit from there.

We didn't really learn much new about Darryl. Merle was an asshole, but Darryl still loved him. Darryl's father was a drunk and asshole. Darryl was a redneck. Maybe these were new revelations for Beth, but I feel like it was all stuff we knew.

Despite spending more time with Beth, what did we really learn about her? That she never had a drink of alcohol before? That she misses her family?

Some of the survival stuff was interesting as was the whole "class warfare" at the country club.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #2263
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I just feel like it could have been done in 20-30 minutes splitting the time with Cutty's group or D'Angelos group. It would have been like the Shield doing 60 minutes of Ronnie or the Wire doing 60 minutes of Carcetti. Doesn't mean it isn't usually a great show just a questionable use of an entire show on these two characters. And as far as it being one the top five shows the Walking Dead has done that would be like saying the fly epiosode was one of the top 5 Breaking Bad episodes. Like HB said... Daryll is a woodtick and the girl is sad that Hershal died. Not groundbreaking.

Last edited by panerd : 03-03-2014 at 08:32 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #2264
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
*i threw Amy in there just because.

Was hoping Daryl would have hit that.

He will. They wouldnt have dedicated an entire episode on evolving her character into a more mature (or lets say "older") character than the 16 yr old high schooler most of us just assumed her to be. I expect her butt to have a permanent reservation for the back of Daryl's next motorcycle.

I think they wanted to show that while she is the sweet farmer's daughter...she can also be cold & badass when she needs to be (which I think we'll see more of the badass side in the coming weeks). Thats what the "love" interest of Daryl has to be...and something the show wants to do for their female demographic (which overwhelmingly loves Daryl).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #2265
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I thought the opening scene was fantastic with the two of them hiding in the trunk over night. Very tense and well shot.

Things kind of slid a bit from there.

We didn't really learn much new about Darryl. Merle was an asshole, but Darryl still loved him. Darryl's father was a drunk and asshole. Darryl was a redneck. Maybe these were new revelations for Beth, but I feel like it was all stuff we knew.

Despite spending more time with Beth, what did we really learn about her? That she never had a drink of alcohol before? That she misses her family?

Some of the survival stuff was interesting as was the whole "class warfare" at the country club.

bingo. exactly what I thought as well.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #2266
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I just feel like it could have been done in 20-30 minutes splitting the time with Cutty's group or D'Angelos group. It would have been like the Shield doing 60 minutes of Ronnie or the Wire doing 60 minutes of Carcetti. Doesn't mean it isn't usually a great show just a questionable use of an entire show on these two characters. And as far as it being one the top five shows the Walking Dead has done that would be like saying the fly epiosode was one of the top 5 Breaking Bad episodes. Like HB said... Daryll is a woodtick and the girl is sad that Hershal died. Not groundbreaking.

I didn't understand half of this. Cutty? D'Angelo?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #2267
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I didn't understand half of this. Cutty? D'Angelo?

Cutty = Tryese

D'Angelo = Bob

Both actors were in "The Wire" and those are their respective character's names from that show.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #2268
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think that they wanted to advance the plot much with the Oscar's also airing.

That must have been a wicked heard that came through when they were in the trunk.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #2269
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Cutty = Tryese

D'Angelo = Bob

Both actors were in "The Wire" and those are their respective character's names from that show.

Ah ha... well, that's why maybe we don't work in references to other shows that some of us might not have seen. Blah...

Now that I understand, I agree with panerd that I wanted checkins with the other groups (or the ones that weren't featured last week).

Old 03-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #2270
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Doesn't mean it isn't usually a great show just a questionable use of an entire show on these two characters.

Maybe they could have accomplished the same in less time but I'm desperate for anything that isn't completely contrived to make me care about any of these characters. So when they do something like this, even if it isn't perfect, its immediately light years ahead of the average episode in my eyes.

Quote:
And as far as it being one the top five shows the Walking Dead has done that would be like saying the fly episode was one of the top 5 Breaking Bad episodes.

Eh, the difference being that the average Walking Dead episode is generally fun to watch for an hour, but is completely forgettable. They struggle massively with meaningful character development, which makes it very hard for me to have any sort of emotional tie to any character or anything that happens. So anything that makes me feel any sort of emotional investment in anyone is vaulted near the top immediately.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #2271
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I don't think that they wanted to advance the plot much with the Oscar's also airing.

That must have been a wicked heard that came through when they were in the trunk.

I've raised this in the past, but I think one of the overall struggles that is inherent in this show is, to put it bluntly, the very nature of the "plot".

In the comic, Kirkman's designed goal was to write a post-apocalyptic zombie story that didn't end. He mentioned how pretty much all zombie movies or books typically deal with a discrete set of characters over a discrete time period. Some are much larger in scope and do sort of have beginning-middle-end of the entire zombie uprising event - like "World War Z" (the book) - but most don't.

So, what is the plot for the show? Is it the group wandering around, trying to find some place safe, finding that place, holding onto it for a while and dealing with issues that come up around that, things go bad, they have leave this place and then the group is wandering around, trying to find some place safe...

This has pretty much been the pattern of the show from the first season til now: You had Rick wandering around, finding the trailer park camp, them leaving that, wandering around, finding the farm, them leaving that, wandering around, finding the prison, them leaving that...

The comic is absolutely no different.

There are mini-plots and arcs that come up throughout both - rescuing Merle from the top of the building, looking for Sophie Anne, Woodbury/the Governor, the super flu, etc. - but there really isn't one over riding plot or arc that cries out to be advanced. It's pretty much about the characters and surviving the zombie apocalypse. Is survival alone enough of a plot?

Currently, the mini-plots would be: Does the group reunite (sub-plot, will Maggie and Glen find each other)? What is Terminal? Can Abraham get Eugene to D.C. to solve the infection?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #2272
Brownkeg8
Mascot

It continues to seem that they are fascinated with showing these horrible zombie kills, how many times can we see a ridiculously fake head get bashed in. Lots of very stupid decisions just to show these moments as well. Daryll bashes 3 or 4 with a golf club, then takes his knife out to stab one on the head at close range and then goes back to the club just so we can see blood splatter over Beth's new outfit...
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #2273
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
It continues to seem that they are fascinated with showing these horrible zombie kills, how many times can we see a ridiculously fake head get bashed in. Lots of very stupid decisions just to show these moments as well. Daryll bashes 3 or 4 with a golf club, then takes his knife out to stab one on the head at close range and then goes back to the club just so we can see blood splatter over Beth's new outfit...

Thank you or as I've noticed. A particularly gruesome kill, showing spatter all over, and yet the person who did the deed looks as clean as ever. It's starting to look sloppy.

Like Steam?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #2274
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I still enjoy the zombie kills.

I know it is not really how the the writes have done things in the past, but it would have been cool to see how things went down at the country club instead of relying on a bit from Talking Dead.

That could prolong the plot and allow us to see a different side of things.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #2275
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I still enjoy the zombie kills.

Didn't you learn anything this week? You aren't supposed to enjoy killing them!

Like Steam?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #2276
SFL Cat
College Starter

I stopped watching this show after the second season, but I've always wondered (not even so much just for this show but all zombie shows and movies in general)...the zombies are essentially animated rotting corpses. So exactly how long will these walking bags of rotting flesh hold together? I mean, eventually, they'll get to the pointed where they've decomposed so much that they'll begin to lose limbs. Once both legs are gone, they'll have to rename the show, the Crawling, Creeping Dead.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 03-03-2014 at 08:01 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #2277
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I understand that they can't write the show more than 3-4 EPs ahead of time, but I feel like they would have had a rendezvous point and escape plan from the prison after sitting there for 6mo or more. I'm sure they'll all head towards terminus for next season. I like this season but I'm curious as to this show's long term plan
Old 03-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #2278
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
I stopped watching this show after the second season, but I've always wondered (not even so much just for this show but all zombie shows and movies in general)...the zombies are essentially animated rotting corpses. So exactly how long will these walking bags of rotting flesh hold together? I mean, eventually, they'll get to the pointed where they've decomposed so much that they'll begin to lose limbs. Once both legs are gone, they'll have to rename the show, the Crawling, Creeping Dead.

Once you accept the fact that some sort of virus or radiation or whatever the hell animates the dead, I think you can also accept the fact that the very same virus or radiation or whatever the hell animated the dead can also slow down, or perhaps even at some point, stop the decomposition process so that the animated corpse largely stays together.

Some corpses may rot more than others due to various environmental conditions or as a result of damage done to the body before being turned or the length of time from death to turning, but at some point the decomp stops and the corpses shamble on...
Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #2279
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I understand that they can't write the show more than 3-4 EPs ahead of time, but I feel like they would have had a rendezvous point and escape plan from the prison after sitting there for 6mo or more. I'm sure they'll all head towards terminus for next season. I like this season but I'm curious as to this show's long term plan

Like I said earlier, they make the characters as stupid as they need to be to satisfy whatever particular episode they are writing.

They had no semblance of a backup plan/rendezvous?

They show no absolutely no progression in terms of clearing out a building with any sense of tactics. How many times do they check one room or two, become fascinated by some object, then "surprise!" a zombie jumps out. You think they would learn a little quicker when their lives are constantly at stake.

You occasionally seem them smartly foraging in one scene, then the next 20 they ignore all kinds of items. I think it's safe to say Beth would have spent the 2 minutes needed to pick out an entirely new set of clothes while in the golf shop.

Let's burn down the moonshine house in the middle of the night. Seems like a great time to have to find shelter.

I think it was the beginning of season 3 where they were trying to set the tone that things were getting really tight in terms of scavenging (Rick wouldn't let them stoop to eating dog food), but they seem pretty much more wasteful than ever in recent episodes.

It's an insanely frustrating and uneven show. Usually right when i hit this point (Ready to stop watching) they rebound with a genuinely great episode. I'm hoping it's the case, because this half of the season has been very poor so far.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #2280
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
I understand that they can't write the show more than 3-4 EPs ahead of time

Seriously? Why not?
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #2281
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Essentially AMC is bankrolling the entire channel on WD and they piecemeal all of the basic tasks. It's why actors don't appear every week.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #2282
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Essentially AMC is bankrolling the entire channel on WD and they piecemeal all of the basic tasks. It's why actors don't appear every week.

Eh, that's kinda stretching it a bit, at least in terms of what's paying the freight for the network.

At least as of last year (prior to them really starting to crank up the merchandising machinery) MadMen was actually producing more revenue, due to the phenomenal demographics of the much smaller audience. Higher salary cost for the cast, but better revenue stream.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #2283
DanGarion
Coordinator

What complainers.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #2284
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I see AMC got bumped up to the third DTV tier from the most basic one. I believe this is relatively new ground. I usually drop packages from time to time. They must have got a really high carry rate on DTV for it to go up.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #2285
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thought that might have been one of the worst episodes ever, outside the car trunk scene at the beginning. Beth is the last character I want to "get to know better" and what we learned here didn't make her any more appealing to me. I fast forwarded towards the end in hopes they would show some of the other characters. Alas they did not.

I've never been a fan of gore on TWD and other shows, I usually just look away when I can tell they are coming. The scene in the pro shop might be an all-time low in that regards for me.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #2286
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Towards the end of the show I texted "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" to a friend. Probably the worst episode i've seen of TWD to date. I know it is bad because the explanations they gave on The Talking Dead made a lot more sense. When I have to get the jist of the show from the wrap-up-show it was a bad episode.

The whole liquor thing could have been made interesting and instead it seemed forced and stupid. Daryl getting emotional could have had a huge impact and instead it almost made me laugh.

I have faith that they will continue to have great episodes but I think the writing is hit or miss at this point.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #2287
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Thanks for common sense here.

Other than the odd "staying inside the trunk" thing to start this episode......

IT SUCKED>

One of the worst ones of the whole series. Not a fanboy who NEEDS to see zombie killing or action every week , but this was just mailed in.

As with more than half of the viewers I recorded this and just got around to it, will be deleting the TALKING dead version instantly. No reason to validate/comment on nothing. The absurd night time burning and flicking off in the MIDDLE OF A ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE, was how I FELT about the whole episode. RE+DICK.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #2288
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate the Talking Dead. I wish it would go away.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #2289
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hate the Talking Dead. I wish it would go away.

I've found this season to be pretty darned good, especially compared to some of the clusterfucks of the past.

It's become a 2-hour block for us now, the improvement (sometimes surprisingly) in the "superfans" has helped it a lot.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #2290
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Curiously enough, while the Walking Dead audience was down about 3% with the heavy competition from the Oscars, the Talking Dead audience was actually up over last week, about 6%-7%.

It's having a pretty extraordinary run right now, narrowly missed beating out Duck Dynasty as the #2 show on cable this week.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #2291
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They did one too many Marilyn Manson/Jason Mewes type panels for me. The cut in around minute 50 is the worst. Even when I watched it was heavily fast forward to the technical discussion montages.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #2292
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They did one too many Marilyn Manson/Jason Mewes type panels for me. The cut in around minute 50 is the worst. Even when I watched it was heavily fast forward to the technical discussion montages.

Some of the previous TD guests have been truly awful, this year has been an improvement and it's changed it from a watch-til-I-can't-take-it-anymore to a darn-it's-over-already thing mostly.

Even some comic I'd never heard of before (this week's guest) was surprisingly on point, even if his style of delivering that point bordered on goofy, it sorta weirdly worked anyway.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #2293
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just now caught up with the show and, therefore, this thread. and I have to say I'm surprised a bit. I personally think these last 4 episodes have been terrific. There have been some misses this year but overall I have found this season to be the most interesting since Season 1.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #2294
Dutch
"Dutch"

I agree. I was about to give up on the show and the move away from the prison and back out into zombieland has me back on track.

Last edited by Dutch : 03-04-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #2295
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Different people obviously like different things about the show, there's nothing wrong with that.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #2296
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wanna see someone go in for the ridiculous close combat head stab and have the zombie do a head fake and bite them on the arm. Let's find/make some more swords people. Michonne is the only smart one in this world.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #2297
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
just now caught up with the show and, therefore, this thread. and I have to say I'm surprised a bit. I personally think these last 4 episodes have been terrific. There have been some misses this year but overall I have found this season to be the most interesting since Season 1.

I didn't love the first episode, but I've felt that the others have been pretty good. This last one not as much as the prior two, but still not bad.

I try not to worry about the picayune stuff all that much.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:21 AM   #2298
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

me neither, especially since I don't know what picayune means
Old 03-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #2299
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Some of the previous TD guests have been truly awful, this year has been an improvement and it's changed it from a watch-til-I-can't-take-it-anymore to a darn-it's-over-already thing mostly.

Even some comic I'd never heard of before (this week's guest) was surprisingly on point, even if his style of delivering that point bordered on goofy, it sorta weirdly worked anyway.

JB Smoove? I only know him as Leon Black, the hurricane Katrina transplant on Curb Your Enthusiasm, but his work on there is one of the great supporting comedy roles of the past 10 years.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #2300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
me neither, especially since I don't know what picayune means

Strange though it may be, that very word was discussed on my FB wall a couple of days ago.

picˇaˇyune ˌpikiˈyo͞on/ adjective, informal adjective: picayune

1. petty; worthless.

Maybe there was some sort of contest & we just missed the memo or something.