Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2024, 01:19 PM   #2251
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
It’s not even because of the fact that I’m a Michigan State fan, but Harbaugh is at another level of unlikability than Belichik. There is just something about the way he carries himself, the dishonestly, inability to own up to stuff, and sense of entitlement that makes Harbaugh completely unlikable as a person to me.

But I wouldn’t hire Belichik because he doesn’t seem to be a builder. He can manage things better than others, but starting from ground up doesn’t seem to be a strength, especially at his age. But I will also say that I don’t know much about where the Falcons are with young talent (other than Robinson), picks, cap space, et cetera. Maybe they have a great foundation and I am just unaware.

Schmidty! Sparty on!!

Harbaugh is a complete weirdo. He burns bridges wherever he goes. I think he’s a total weirdo and unlikeable, but he’s been successful every place he’s coached. I think he belongs at Michigan. It’s the one place that he can be his total weirdo self and pretty much get away with and be able to do anything he wants without repercussions.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 01:50 PM   #2252
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's either going to be the Lions or Baker Mayfield against the 49ers.

The NFL loves its David-Goliath stories, and this one will write itself.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 01:56 PM   #2253
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Over the course of the past two years, I've thought McCarthy was the perfect QB for Harbaugh because he's a weirdo in a way that really meshes with Harbaugh. If he's going to go back to the NFL he should go now because he's almost certainly going to go downhill over the next few years at UM.
Old 01-21-2024, 02:18 PM   #2254
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Goff looks shakey so far. Hope he can shake it off.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:55 PM   #2255
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
He made a similar decision vs. the Raiders, threw into coverage in the end zone
from the Vegas 35 with 45 seconds left and one time out.

Jordan love throws a game ending interception vs Raiders - YouTube

Totally Favre or Rex Grossman
I have a hard time criticizing the guy who was the best quarterback in the NFL the past eight weeks leading into this weekend, not to mention a 19:1 TD to interception ratio in that time period. That hardly screams boom or bust to me.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:32 PM   #2256
Swaggs
Coordinator

Usually, it is easy to find a team to root against, but I am having trouble not liking either of these teams.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:48 PM   #2257
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I may be drunk right now but in my double vision it looks light Detroit is winning!
Old 01-21-2024, 04:51 PM   #2258
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Usually, it is easy to find a team to root against, but I am having trouble not liking either of these teams.
F- the Buccs.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:57 PM   #2259
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

If you're going for 2 there, you have to have a better play call in your pocket.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:58 PM   #2260
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

dang

Imagine what the Browns could've done if they stuck with Baker instead of trading their future away like in a Kevin Costner movie.

Every nerve in my body says Detroit will lose but I will root for the Lions victory.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:00 PM   #2261
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
shake it off.

Man, you can't get away from Taylor Swift even in this thread!
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:10 PM   #2262
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

DETROIT PICK
Old 01-21-2024, 05:10 PM   #2263
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yesssss
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:12 PM   #2264
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hard not to like this Lions team and that coach...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:12 PM   #2265
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I SMELL THE MORNHINWHEG-MOOCH BOWL COMING UP!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:12 PM   #2266
GrantDawg

Old 01-21-2024, 05:15 PM   #2267
RainMaker
General Manager

Did Tampa have a timeout at the end they didn't use?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:17 PM   #2268
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yes!!! Go Lions!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-21-2024, 05:19 PM   #2269
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yay Lions!
Old 01-21-2024, 05:20 PM   #2270
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

It would not have mattered. It just let the kneeldowns end earlier.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:21 PM   #2271
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One thing that I think Dan Campbell will be really good at is not letting the team settle on "happy to be here." They are going to go into Santa Clara and fight.

Now, the 49ers are really really good. So going in and fighting might not be enough. But I have no doubt that they aren't going to make it easy.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:28 PM   #2272
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
It would not have mattered. It just let the kneeldowns end earlier.

They kneeled on 3rd down with 30 seconds left.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:53 PM   #2273
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
They kneeled on 3rd down with 30 seconds left.

They did but I feel like there was an unspoken understanding there to just end the game. The Lions weren't running the clock all the way down before snapping the ball. A little scary but it all worked out.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:12 PM   #2274
Schmidty
Coordinator

I’m so happy the Lions won, but it’s easy to say that they are probably going to lose because they can’t cover big play receivers.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:16 PM   #2275
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd be quite happy with a Bills/Lions Super Bowl.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:20 PM   #2276
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I’m so happy the Lions won, but it’s easy to say that they are probably going to lose because they can’t cover big play receivers.

It’s definitely a huge issue and an Achilles heel, but they couldn’t cover Justin Jefferson in either game and won both. Cee Dee lamb went off for 266 yards and, but for the refs blowing a call, the Lions would have won that game. Puca Nakua broke the record for most receiving yards by a rookie in a playoff game and the Lions won that one. Mike Evans just went off on the Lions secondary and the Lions won that game, too!
Old 01-21-2024, 06:27 PM   #2277
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Damn, I wish I knew how to plan a Lions watch party. Usually when Lions fans gathered together it was a known as a suicide cult. But what do I do now?
Old 01-21-2024, 06:33 PM   #2278
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

From Pro Football Talk:

Lost in the excitement of the Lions beating the Buccaneers to advance to the NFC Championship Game was that both teams made clock management mistakes at the end of the game.

When the Lions intercepted a pass with 1:33 left in the game, the Buccaneers still had one timeout. That meant that even if the Lions had used the full 40 seconds between kneeldowns, they couldn’t have run the clock all the way down — as long as the Bucs used their timeout.

The Lions knelt down anyway, and didn’t even take the full 40 seconds off the clock between kneeldowns. But the Bucs never used their final timeout. When Lions quarterback Jared Goff knelt down for the third and final time, 36 seconds were on the clock and the Bucs still had their timeout. It was fourth down, which meant that if the Bucs had called their timeout, the Lions likely would have attempted a 49-yard field goal.

If that field goal had missed, the Buccaneers would have had the ball at their own 39-yard line with about 30 seconds left, needing to drive 61 yards for a touchdown and then score a two-point conversion to force overtime.

Is it likely that the Lions would have missed the field goal, the Buccaneers would have scored a touchdown and two-point conversion and then won the game in overtime? No. Is it possible? Absolutely. And with the season on the line, a team should be doing everything possible to win. The Buccaneers just let the last 36 seconds run off the clock and took their timeout into the offseason.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:42 PM   #2279
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Dammit wtf buffalo
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:43 PM   #2280
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wish I could get the other game on my TV station but I can't. I guess I won't be watching.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:47 PM   #2281
GrantDawg

You don't have a CBS station?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2024, 06:58 PM   #2282
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I just shouting in the middle of a restaurant gogogogoho

It worked he got 1st dn
Old 01-21-2024, 07:07 PM   #2283
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

If they're gonna fight I want them to go ahead and fight. Like slam each others faces into the turf. Not thus weird touching each other

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-21-2024 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:44 PM   #2284
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yaaaaaaaaaay that was close
Old 01-21-2024, 07:51 PM   #2285
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Ugh they cannot stop those passes
Old 01-21-2024, 08:08 PM   #2286
GrantDawg

What a big turnover.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:09 PM   #2287
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

wow. Touchback is bigger than a touchdown. Bails them out of the awful fake punt.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:09 PM   #2288
Atocep
Coordinator

Gonna suck if the NFLs dumbest rule decides what has been a great game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:36 PM   #2289
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

a fake punt to THAT guy?
that's a thing???

and touchback omfg
Old 01-21-2024, 08:39 PM   #2290
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Oh no! Wide Right!
Old 01-21-2024, 08:41 PM   #2291
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Never trust a kicker on a cold streak.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:42 PM   #2292
GrantDawg

Well, I guess the "can Mahomes win a playoff game on the road?" question is answered.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:51 PM   #2293
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Chiefs did everything they could to give that game away in the last quarter. The fumble on the goalline. Trying to scoop that Allen fumble instead of just falling on the ball. And Buffalo just refused to take that game over.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:53 PM   #2294
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

FUCK THIS SPORT!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2024, 09:09 PM   #2295
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The touchback is a terrible rule.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:29 PM   #2296
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
From Pro Football Talk:

Lost in the excitement of the Lions beating the Buccaneers to advance to the NFC Championship Game was that both teams made clock management mistakes at the end of the game.

When the Lions intercepted a pass with 1:33 left in the game, the Buccaneers still had one timeout. That meant that even if the Lions had used the full 40 seconds between kneeldowns, they couldn’t have run the clock all the way down — as long as the Bucs used their timeout.

The Lions knelt down anyway, and didn’t even take the full 40 seconds off the clock between kneeldowns. But the Bucs never used their final timeout. When Lions quarterback Jared Goff knelt down for the third and final time, 36 seconds were on the clock and the Bucs still had their timeout. It was fourth down, which meant that if the Bucs had called their timeout, the Lions likely would have attempted a 49-yard field goal.

If that field goal had missed, the Buccaneers would have had the ball at their own 39-yard line with about 30 seconds left, needing to drive 61 yards for a touchdown and then score a two-point conversion to force overtime.

Is it likely that the Lions would have missed the field goal, the Buccaneers would have scored a touchdown and two-point conversion and then won the game in overtime? No. Is it possible? Absolutely. And with the season on the line, a team should be doing everything possible to win. The Buccaneers just let the last 36 seconds run off the clock and took their timeout into the offseason.

This feels like PFT really, really needed to find a way to criticize Todd Bowles and chose the most obscure Greg Schiano reasoning possible. Not saying that the possibilities mentioned don't exist, but I don't think it is something worthy of the possibility of a player on either team suffering a season ending or career ending injury on the FGA or the kickoff that followed if the Lions made the FG. A made FG was a possibility that wasn't mentioned.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:53 PM   #2297
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The touchback is a terrible rule.

so what is the rule exactly?
Old 01-21-2024, 10:07 PM   #2298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This feels like PFT really, really needed to find a way to criticize Todd Bowles and chose the most obscure Greg Schiano reasoning possible. Not saying that the possibilities mentioned don't exist, but I don't think it is something worthy of the possibility of a player on either team suffering a season ending or career ending injury on the FGA or the kickoff that followed if the Lions made the FG. A made FG was a possibility that wasn't mentioned.

It would have been Badgely's longest field goal in over a year.

Now IF there was a nod between coaches that said "hey, we won't call the timeout" before the Lions failed to run the clock down then the last one is not as aggregious.

But if there wasn't, and the Lions mismanaged the clock themselves? Then yeah, Bowles is roasted fairly for not giving his team a shot at a FG miss or even a block.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:34 PM   #2299
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
so what is the rule exactly?

Essentially, if an offensive player fumbles the ball into the end zone, and it goes out of bounds or over the end line, it is ruled a touchback. The opposing team takes over possession of the ball on their own 20 (or maybe 25.the whole touch back rule got tweaked since I've really paid attention).

I'm totally good with this rule. You pay a price for mishandling the ball near the goal line.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:51 PM   #2300
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

New coach news

Former nfl coach Chip Kelly being talked about for an OC job (he's in UCLA I guess)
Lions OC Ben Johnson got an interview with the falcons

Also Eagles interested in former Giants DC Wink Martindale. Now is this the SAME Wink Martindale that used to host Tic Tac Dough in the 80s with THE DRAGON??? There can't be more than one person in history with the name Wink Martindale.