Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #2301
tarcone
Coordinator

A woman in her 30s died in St. Louis. A 44 year old Marathoner is on a ventilator in Illinois.

I think this thing may be mutating and getting stronger.

2 more counties that border mine issued stay at home orders. My county just got their first case. But just decided to close non-essential businesses. Assuming the stay at home order will come soon.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #2302
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if that's the case. Viruses tend to weaken over time.

This isn't the flu. While it hurts older people more, the mortality rate among people in their 30's and 40's is still somewhat scary.

For people in their 40's, the mortality rate is 0.4%. That's 1 in every 250 people who come down with it will die. 1 in every 500 in their 30's will die.

When you have hundreds of thousands of cases across the country, we're going to see more stories like that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #2303
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Agree with Rainmaker. In Italy, they have significant numbers in the 20s-50s, not as much as the elderly but still. CDC report from last week that I previously cited; 38% of the early hospitalizations in the US were 20-54 age group.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #2304
whomario
Pro Starter

Yeah, people really underestimate a) how many young people have underlying conditions of some sort and b) that even 0.3/0.4 is quite a lot for a respiratory illness. The flu really is harmless compared to this, not least because there is medication available. Here all you can do is put people on a ventilator and pump them full of antibiotics and steroids to stregthen other systems/prevent bacterial infection and then hope for the best).

Young peope survive a lot more often since their immune system and lungs/heart are stronger, but even then being put on a ventilator is likely a harrowing ordeal.

That being said, taking a few cases and seeing it as a sign of mutation is not going to be a healthy mindset considering how often info will change still because the science community simply cant work miracles.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-23-2020 at 07:13 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #2305
RainMaker
General Manager

Put it this way. The mortality rate for the flu in ages 18-49 is 0.02%. That means this virus is 10 times deadlier to someone in their 30's and 20 times deadlier to someone in their 40's.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #2306
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah, this guy should lose his privilege to carry.

Afraid Of Coronavirus, GA Man Points Gun At Women Wearing Masks | Alpharetta, GA Patch
Quote:
ALPHARETTA, GA — Alpharetta Police arrested a man Sunday for pointing a gun at a woman and her granddaughter for "fear of catching the coronavirus."

Alpharetta Police Sgt. Howard Miller said officers received a call about a person pulling a gun on others at the post office, 4575 Webb Bridge Rd. Officers responded and found both victims, a woman and her adult granddaughter, unharmed. The suspect had left prior to officers arriving.

The women said they were both wearing medical masks and gloves when they entered the post office. They were met by a man who pulled out a handgun, pointed it at both of them, and yelled at them to get back, Miller said. The man then left the building and drove away in his vehicle.

One of the victims was able to get the license plate number of the man's car. Officers went to his house, confronted him in his driveway where he surrendered before taken into custody. He was armed with a holstered firearm at the time of his arrest, police said.

Miller said he cannot go into specific details involving the interview with the suspect, but did say the man admitted to officers that he pointed his gun at the victims "in fear of catching the coronavirus."
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #2307
Edward64
Head Coach

Getting back to whether cruise lines should get bail outs.

If true, I'm inclined to put the non-US companies way down on the priority list or not at all.

Don’t bail out the cruise industry - The Verge
Quote:
They’re not really US companies. Carnival Corporation is incorporated in Panama. Royal Caribbean is incorporated in Liberia. Norwegian Cruise Line is incorporated in Bermuda. These three cruise companies combine to make up around 70 percent or more of the global cruise ship market, depending on how you measure it. And while they operate offices in Miami, Florida, they are all incorporated in countries with very different labor, tax, and other laws than those of the US. Their ships fly flags of these countries, too. What’s more, a large number of cruise ship employees are from Europe, the Caribbean islands, and the Philippines. These companies are not big job creators for US citizens in the way that other bailout targets like Boeing or airlines like Delta, United, and American are. Also...

They pay basically zero federal income tax. With all of that in mind, it shouldn’t surprise many people that these big cruise companies essentially pay no federal income tax in the US. True, each company is actually a conglomeration of a bunch of smaller companies, and there are some cases where their subsidiaries might be subject to federal (and state) income tax laws. But most of those entities don’t have to pay, thanks to Section 883 of the Internal Revenue Code, which exempts:

Gross income derived by a corporation organized in a foreign country from the international operation of a ship or ships if such foreign country grants an equivalent exemption to corporations organized in the United States.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #2308
molson
General Manager

And cruise ships pose no value to society. If it takes them a year or more to figure their shit out and re-structure, no real harm done. We don't have that luxury with the airlines.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #2309
RainMaker
General Manager

You can look up the fleet and see which flag each cruise line flies. For instance, Carnival flies the flag for Panama, Bahamas, and Malta. Not one cruise ship flies an American flag.

Also as mentioned, most of the labor is not American citizens. And I don't consider cruise ships a vital industry like you can make the case it is for airlines.

Carnival Cruise Line - Wikipedia
Old 03-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #2310
Atocep
Coordinator

Washington issues a stay at home
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #2311
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 03-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #2312
miked
College Starter

Too bad they are willing to die to save our economy, but I'm sure unwilling to cut pollution to save the planet for their grandchildren.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #2313
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
fuck you Dan Patrick
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #2314
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I don't even know what to say.

We can talk butterfly effect, etc...but what is happening now will have almost no bearing on our kids financial status. Pretty sure if given the choice they would choose extra time with their grandparents. Even if it meant Mom and Dad have some struggles.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #2315
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
fuck you Dan Patrick

I couldn't figure out for the life of me what a washed up former ESPN talker suddenly had to do with this.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #2316
tarcone
Coordinator

I think we should err on the side of this is stronger than we thought. We need an overreaction to counter the lack of reaction we had the 1st month of this virus.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #2317
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

S.C. governor issues a notice to arrest any gathering of 3 or more non related people.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #2318
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
S.C. governor issues a notice to arrest any gathering of 3 or more non related people.

and do what with them?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #2319
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Ticket/fine is considered an arrest, I think.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #2320
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Ticket/fine is considered an arrest, I think.

makes sense
Old 03-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #2321
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I am not a doctor so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Please stop randomly taking chloroquine phosphate

Thanks
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #2322
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Thanks

But did he avoid getting the COVID? I need to know.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #2323
molson
General Manager

You live to your 60s - played little league, fell in love, had your heart broken, graduate high school, get your first job, travel a little, go to weddings and funerals, lose touch with friends and make new ones, learn from mistakes, fall and get back up again, start to think about retirement.....and then one day you die because you drink fish tank cleaner solution. What a world.

Last edited by molson : 03-23-2020 at 08:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #2324
Jas_lov
College Starter

Did they drink it because Trump talked about it as a cure?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #2325
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

You think someone dumb enough to do that is researching the cure on their own?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #2326
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

There's an audio interview with the wife who is in the hospital and it's heartbreaking.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:07 PM   #2327
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Thanks
He took the wrong stuff. hydroxychloroquine Is the drug, not chloroquine phosphate. Still, checking with a doc is the prudent move before taking anything
Old 03-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #2328
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There's an audio interview with the wife who is in the hospital and it's heartbreaking.

you have a link?
Old 03-23-2020, 09:33 PM   #2329
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
you have a link?

Old 03-23-2020, 09:53 PM   #2330
Warhammer
Pro Starter

So according to other articles, it is hydrochloroquine they are distributing and he took something else on his own volition. And that is Trump's fault. He has a lot of other to nail him on rather than this...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #2331
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
And that is Trump's fault. He has a lot of other to nail him on rather than this...

LOL
Old 03-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #2332
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is why you don't tout a miracle cure with no evidence. Yes, they should have not taken it, but statistically, it's inevitable that someone is going to do this.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:01 PM   #2333
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
He took the version they use to clean fish aquariums I believe..... not the version for human consumption
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #2334
RainMaker
General Manager

Honestly, if you're taking medical advice from the guy with all the evidence that is out there about him, you made your own bed.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:41 PM   #2335
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is why you don't tout a miracle cure with no evidence. Yes, they should have not taken it, but statistically, it's inevitable that someone is going to do this.

LOL. Sometimes I cant tell if you are serious but you cant be serious can you? This idiot wasnt even sick and drank fish tank cleaner. Darwin award nominee, not heart breaking in the least and not inevitable either. Not at all inevitable.

Trump said wash your hands to avoid COVID. I washed them with battery acid. Lets get me on the news to blame Trump. It was inevitable someone would do this!

Last edited by panerd : 03-23-2020 at 10:48 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:42 PM   #2336
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Honestly, if you're taking medical advice from the guy with all the evidence that is out there about him, you made your own bed.

Add the fact that he didnt even take medicine, he took fish tank cleaner.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:10 PM   #2337
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The bottom line is social media has completely jumped the shark with treatments and prevention for covid 19. Every other post is someone sharing some sketchy article about a miracle cure or prevention.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:18 PM   #2338
thesloppy
Pro Starter

There is some...uhhh irony?...that this particular crisis is hitting all of our weak points, like healthcare, (in)credulous boomers, safety net, unemployment compensation, homeless, rent costs, infrastructure, supply chain, stuffed prisons, foreign reliance, pharma costs, etc. It seems tailor designed for all the shit we've been collectively ignoring.

It's a shame that we can't have a progressive president, or nominee, at the time when we most need progressive measures. I wonder if the Dem primary would have gone differently had this hit a month earlier. Both Biden and Trump have campaigns practically built around returning to some vision of our past, which will probably appeal to plenty of people even more, but seems like the worst possible response to this crisis.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-23-2020 at 11:27 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:54 AM   #2339
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Day 8 of Enhanced Community Quarantine here in the Philippines.

So far so good, crime is down, most people appear to be following instructions. Most everyone that can work from home is working from home. Only one person per household is allowed to go outside and buy groceries/essentials. Kinda tough to impose on one island of 40 million people, but hopefully it slows this thing down enough to allow our medical frontliners breathing room.

We've already had a COVID fatality in my suburb, so sad.

We don't have enough testing kits, so we're just at 500 confirmed positive cases in the country with 33 confirmed deaths... but that number is definitely higher.

The tropical heat in the country isn't affecting this thing at all, it seems.

Hope you all are staying safe and keeping your family and friends safe.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:35 AM   #2340
RainMaker
General Manager

Good article on how South Korea did it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/w...ten-curve.html
Old 03-24-2020, 06:52 AM   #2341
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I couldn't figure out for the life of me what a washed up former ESPN talker suddenly had to do with this.

I'd rather a washed up former ESPN talker be our Lieutenant Governor than that imbecile.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #2342
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
There is some...uhhh irony?...that this particular crisis is hitting all of our weak points, like healthcare, (in)credulous boomers, safety net, unemployment compensation, homeless, rent costs, infrastructure, supply chain, stuffed prisons, foreign reliance, pharma costs, etc. It seems tailor designed for all the shit we've been collectively ignoring.

Given this list, what haven't we been ignoring?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 03-24-2020 at 07:24 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #2343
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Day 8 of Enhanced Community Quarantine here in the Philippines.

So far so good, crime is down, most people appear to be following instructions. Most everyone that can work from home is working from home. Only one person per household is allowed to go outside and buy groceries/essentials. Kinda tough to impose on one island of 40 million people, but hopefully it slows this thing down enough to allow our medical frontliners breathing room.

We've already had a COVID fatality in my suburb, so sad.

We don't have enough testing kits, so we're just at 500 confirmed positive cases in the country with 33 confirmed deaths... but that number is definitely higher.

The tropical heat in the country isn't affecting this thing at all, it seems.

Hope you all are staying safe and keeping your family and friends safe.

Hang in there. I visited Manila and Palawan, beautiful country and people, wish you guys the best.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #2344
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah, no sh*t it's been postponed you dumb f*cks. Go join the WHO who delayed calling it a Pandemic.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/sport...ntl/index.html
Quote:
Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach agreed Tuesday to postpone the Olympics by about one year.

Abe put the suggestion to Bach, who agreed that the latest date the Olympics will be held is summer 2021.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-24-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #2345
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
LOL. Sometimes I cant tell if you are serious but you cant be serious can you? This idiot wasnt even sick and drank fish tank cleaner. Darwin award nominee, not heart breaking in the least and not inevitable either. Not at all inevitable.

Trump said wash your hands to avoid COVID. I washed them with battery acid. Lets get me on the news to blame Trump. It was inevitable someone would do this!

In this time of crisis, who will think of the poor con-man?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #2346
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It's more the lack of national unity (and I'm not just saying politically here, but at every level) that is really a huge threat to our response.

Part of the issue here (as opposed to a stimulus package) is our system of government. The President simply CAN'T do a nationwide shelter in place (Constitutionally speaking). And Governors are all over the map on it.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-24-2020 at 09:14 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #2347
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In this time of crisis, who will think of the poor con-man?

You have dived into Obama's birth certificate isnt real territory with the heart breaking link to the guys wife who ate fish aquarium chemicals but to each their own I guess.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #2348
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
You have dived into Obama's birth certificate isnt real territory with the heart breaking link to the guys wife who ate fish aquarium chemicals but to each their own I guess.

You guys have really lowered the bar on what you expect from the President. I guess you want us to apologize for not doing so, but personally I won't.

He shouldn't be up there touting miracle cures, period. How much better is he than Jim Bakker, really?

Last edited by Butter : 03-24-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #2349
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
You guys have really lowered the bar on what you expect from the President. I guess you want us to apologize for not doing so, but personally I won't.

He shouldn't be up there touting miracle cures, period. How much better is he than Jim Bakker, really?

I thought there have been pages upon pages of this thread devoted to how South Korea is handling this and we aren't? South Korea uses this and it may be effective, not exactly magic beans? But good thing JPhillips is on top of worrying about a person that didn't even have COVID19 but went ahead and chose to take his own concoction and died. Useful.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #2350
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I thought there have been pages upon pages of this thread devoted to how South Korea is handling this and we aren't? South Korea uses this and it may be effective, not exactly magic beans? But good thing JPhillips is on top of worrying about a person that didn't even have COVID19 but went ahead and chose to take his own concoction and died. Useful.

I agree with you. Because other western-like countries are exploring hydrochloroquine and others, we should be doing the same. I also don't think we can blame Trump on this particular act of Darwin award stupidity.

Trump should be messaging "hope". He thinks he's doing this with his out-of-context statements (with Fauci rolling his eyes behind him). Instead, he should be providing context and saying:
"... hydrochloroquine (and others) has anecdotally shown to be effective. However, we need to go through the process to confirm this. That is why I've asked the CDC/Fauci/Birx to create a specific task force to expedite these studies. We will give you an update on our progress on X date"
My question is how difficult is it to do double-blind tests with these drugs? It would seem with the urgency that we would have some sort of "indicative results" already. Sad to say but there would be no lack of human volunteers.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-24-2020 at 09:52 AM.