Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #2301
ColtCrazy
College Starter

A friend hosted a big gaming weekend while his wife was out of town. Played War of the Ring, History of the World, Crown of Roses, and WarParty.

All very good games. History of the World was the simplest of the bunch, but a lot of fun if you have several people play. WarParty was the surprise. It's a 4 player game where each controls a faction (humans, dwarves, goblins, and undead). You have different troops, heroes that gain spells, and dungeons to explore. It's a war game with a fantasy twist. Didn't think I would like it, but it was good fun. This was the first time I felt like I understood War of the Ring's details. Our game came down to the last dice roll before the Crack of Doom. (My shadow team won on the last chit pull). Crown of Roses was the only repeat, but it remains one of my favorite games. Just fun.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #2302
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

WarParty is hampered by high school level art.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #2303
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
WarParty is hampered by high school level art.

Yeah, my initial thought was definitely "this is going to suck" The gameplay saved it but I couldn't help thinking throughout that it would be so much cooler to play with miniatures. The guy that brought it paid just $30 at Half Price Books for it. I wouldn't pay the $60 that CSI has it for.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #2304
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Got out Legendary: Marvel Deck Building Game (finally getting to games I've had for a few months) and wow…just a fun game. It's Dominion with a Marvel theme, but the theme makes it a tons of fun. There's also some decent decision making on how to build your decks and which villains to attack. Of course, the negative is now the expansions are beckoning me, but that's fine. I think this will see the table quite often.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #2305
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'd recommend sleeving the cards. Upper Deck uses really crappy card stock, and they get damaged very easily.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #2306
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Ha. Funny you should say that. One game and I noticed some flaking already so I just stuck some ultra pros in my amazon cart.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #2307
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

At some point this has to happen.

"So let me get this straight, you roll dice to see who gets resources on your turn and there's a decent chance you get none. Since you might not get anything, it hampers your ability to trade or build something which are the two things you actually do on your turn. Yet somehow this was the game that ushered in modern board gaming?"

Yep, played Catan, and my confusion as to how that was the one that broke through still makes me shake my head. I'll investigate it some more, but I'm getting close to it might being one game I refuse to play. Added in two more games of Takenoko. There's randomness in there as well, but its just a nice light game to where I care less. Catan feels like its trying to be something and failing.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #2308
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Catan is about managing the dice rolls and minimizing the risk of not getting resources. As long as you keep that in mind it is a great game.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #2309
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I get what it is about. It is just frustrating for me is all. It really sucks the fun out of a game when you get multiple turns of rolling dice for other people to get resources, and you are unable to do anything else. Even if I plan out how to increase my ability to gain a resource by working the board, I find out the tile I could get stuff from has a 3 or 12 on it.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #2310
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It gets much more frustrating when your one production tile finally gets rolled...but the Thief is there.

I still love Catan, but my roommates have a hard time not hating each other after games, and we're all really good about just about any other game.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #2311
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I just started playing Catan on my iPad and I love it. Board games should be about risk/reward (as Reiner Knizia proved very well) and being able to manage when things do not go smoothly (as Catan does, and to a greater extent - Civilization). One of things I love about Catan is the how you can shift gears and win by a different accumulation of points than what you had intended. When you get bad rolls or more commonly, get robbed (as I did in my last game on 6 straight turns - lots of Knights and 7s appearing), you learn patience because if you had chosen your first settlements ably (most important part of the game, imo), you will recover and likely win. The only thing I haven't figured out how to counteract is an opponent with 3-4 victory cards.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #2312
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

"So let me get this straight, you roll dice to see who gets resources on your turn and there's a decent chance you get none. Since you might not get anything, it hampers your ability to trade or build something which are the two things you actually do on your turn. Yet somehow this was the game that ushered in modern board gaming?"

But it's not all about your turn. Every persons' turn you have a chance to gain resources.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #2313
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think my issue with it is there is restriction, but it is due to randomness. I never feel like I have control over the situation. Maybe more plays give me better incite, but I've played it twice and never felt good afterwards.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #2314
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
But it's not all about your turn. Every persons' turn you have a chance to gain resources.

Yes, I know, but I had multiple turns where I did nothing but roll and give other people resources. Your turn should feel beneficial and odds are you will have a dead turn in a game. I hate what I call the dead turn in Acquire as well.

Last edited by Matthean : 07-19-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #2315
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yep, played Catan, and my confusion as to how that was the one that broke through still makes me shake my head. I'll investigate it some more, but I'm getting close to it might being one game I refuse to play. Added in two more games of Takenoko. There's randomness in there as well, but its just a nice light game to where I care less. Catan feels like its trying to be something and failing.

I actively don't like Catan much. Now, Carcassonne or Ticket to Tide ro something are fun

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #2316
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Two strategies I use in Catan:
1). Be on as many different numbers as possible. This. Inimizes dead rolls.
2). Dominate either ore or wheat spaces. These are used for cities and cards. If I am the main source I can work out advantageous trades.

Now this is a game that you will never win 100% of the time, but you can carry a better than 50% win rate.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #2317
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Board Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
2). Dominate either ore or wheat spaces. These are used for cities and cards. If I am the main source I can work out advantageous trades.

Now this is a game that you will never win 100% of the time, but you can carry a better than 50% win rate.

My focus on the initial placements is to get 4 or all 5 resources but I also look at denying an opponent (or two) access to a resource (even if I have to double up on that). Makes for great trade leverage. If that leaves me short on a resource, then I would make it a priority to get to port to get 2:1 or 3:1.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 07-19-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #2318
Warhammer
Pro Starter

3:1 ports are great. I prefer them to the 2:1 ports due to their flexibility. Plus, if you have a 2:1 port, my group either never trades you that resource or they shut down your production of it.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #2319
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, I agree with 2-1 ports making you a target. Typically I look to get Bricks early and Ore late. I switch to wheat if ore is tough to come by. In our games brick is invariably the mitigating factor in early game, and getting those roads up early to get a third or even fourth settlement in before everyone else opens up your game so much, giving you the flexibility to try different avenues.

I also like to share resource tiles with multiple different players - less chances for the robber to be placed there.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 07-19-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #2320
Danny
Head Coach

Just go for sheep , as much as you can
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #2321
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Issue with sheep is they aren't great in base Settlers, they are only used for settlements and development cards.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #2322
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Since I am beginner on Catan, I do not want to develop bad thinking. Here's my recent game (on medium) in which I won easily - as Red.

I had the first placement and chose the 3-8-10 spot since it looked like any other ore would be scarce to get. Going last for my second placement, I chose the 9-5-2 spot to get in all those bricks and to add wheat as well. But since I doubled up on lumber, I made the lumber port a priority to build asap.

What I think for 2:1 ports is not so much that I would need to trade for them but that I would have plenty to trade just by accumulation. As it turned out, that wasn't quite the case but did get enough to regularly build roads. The game lasted only 24 turns and as expected, ore was very scarce with only 13 being obtained.

In the five games I have played so far, I always get 5 settlements and the longest road (for 7 points). Since ore wasn't coming up, I knew cities wouldn't easily get built. So I went after some development cards and luckily got 2 victory cards. Then I got lucky and got a monopoly card and I won when I played it at the right time to grab everyone else's lumber (got 7) to give me enough to build the city (via 2:1 trades) for my 10th point.

I believe luck played too much in my quick victory (as in an earlier game when I got 4 victory cards), esp. with the lack of ore preventing others from getting development cards. Is getting 5 settlements, longest road, 2 victory cards and a city a viable strategy for most maps? What would a more sustainable strategy be at a higher level or against others - or do one play to the map?
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #2323
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Based upon you description of setup, you had no business getting the 9-5-2 spot. If I was yellow I would have made a beeline to ensure you didn't get longest road.

The Longest Road is tough to get. Plus, you normally need to fight to keep it. The largest army is a better bet to make. Going heavy on development cards nets you soldiers, VPs, or special cards. Soldiers protect you from the robber, VPs are obvious, and monopoly, road building, and other special cards give you the opportunity to get the longest road, etc.

The key in Settlers is to take what your opponents give you. It is great to have a chance to get the Longest Road. If you have the opportunity to seal the win, build it. If you are on wheat or ore, you can trade these at a port or use them to build your own cities. I always trade 2:1 for scarce resources that I control. If my opponents don't want to make the trade, I dump them 3:1. It's a great tactic as after you dump that resource out of the game, no one else can access it.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #2324
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I enjoy playing Catan with my 5th grade since it bring ups strategy discussions as well as a discussion about probability. I agree with Warhammer, you have to maximize your chances with numbers.

I tend to go after ore and dominate that. Sometimes people end up tripping over themselves with great trade offers to get it, especially if they start slipping behind.

Outside of school, I don't play Catan. My family prefers Ticket to Ride.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #2325
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks for the input. Regarding the 9-5-2 spot, do you mean that I should not have picked that or I should not have been able to pick that?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #2326
Warhammer
Pro Starter

You should not have been able to pick it. Yes, the 2 is not a great number, but the 5 and 9 are the next best numbers after the 6 and 8. Plus, the strategic position it gave you was unparalleled. You were the only one who could build a long road at that point. Plus, after you go to the 3-4-11, you had every number but 12.

You executed the strategy that several of us mentioned here. You also stacked the deck in your favor at the start. I would not count on that sort of set up in any other game. Most people that I have played with would have gone to the 5-9-10 near yellow to kill a couple of the spots near you and be in a better position to cut or thwart your road efforts.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #2327
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks, WH. Does increasing the victory points to 13 change the make up of the development cards? And would the game be more challenging having to go to 13?
Old 07-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #2328
Warhammer
Pro Starter

It depends.

I am not a fan of playing to 13 with base Settlers. Typically, it just means the game is going to run longer. If you are playing Seafarers, that changes things a bit. Players going for gold or new discoveries play a bigger role.

If you look at the game example you gave above, all that playing to 13 would do is add 15-20 minutes to the game. Now laying to 13 with Seafarers, that COULD change the game based upon the factors I mentioned above.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #2329
tarcone
Coordinator

Thunder Alley, Lock n Load Forgotten Heroes Viet Nam and Friday arrived in the mail yesterday. My latest CSI purchase.
Thunder Alley looks awesome. I am having a game day Wednesday and this is on my to play list. There will be 6 of us at the table. I have heard nothing but good things.

Forgotten Heroes was recommended to me on BGG. A tactical game. This game looks like it will be a really fun one to put on the table. Of course, it will be in line. Need to play more and buy less.

And Friday was thrown into the package to get me free shipping. But this is one of those games that people rave about. It has been on my radar for awhile.

Also, tomorrow, construction on my game room begins. It will be about a 14'x18' room in the basement. With built in shelves. I cant wait. I sold it to my wife as a 4th bedroom, because it has a big window. We want to re-fi our house. And need to bump. But it is mine and all mine. Should be done in about 3 weeks. Im am super excited.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 AM   #2330
tarcone
Coordinator

I cannot recommend Thunder Alley high enough. This game is fantastic. It is the best racing game I have played. So much strategy. The tracks require different styles of racing. Tons of replayabililty.
4 of us played 3 games tonight. It was so much fun.
And it is very easy to learn. Not much to the rules.

If you get a chance, play this. Or buy it. You wont be disappointed.

I rated this in my top 10 in the other thread. Top 3 or maybe #1.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #2331
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

We almost always play with 5-6 players and I consistently win well over 50%. At lot of it just has to do with having the right cards at the right time. I usually plan to try and get the longest road but if I can't do that I work on trying to maximize my settlements and then cities to get as many resources as possible. The one rule we don't follow is giving up resource cards, it just slows down play that much more, especially since in the 5-6 game everyone can build in between ever turn.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #2332
Warhammer
Pro Starter

So if a 7 is rolled and you have 8 cards, you don't dump any? That is a huge change to the game.

I understand not wanting the game to go to long (Settlers to me is a 45-60 minute game), but that is a huge change.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #2333
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
So if a 7 is rolled and you have 8 cards, you don't dump any? That is a huge change to the game.

I understand not wanting the game to go to long (Settlers to me is a 45-60 minute game), but that is a huge change.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it we do that. I was thinking the rule was different. I wish our 5-6 player games were 45-60 minutes.... They are usually 1 1/2 - 2 hours...
Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #2334
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Actually now that I'm thinking about it we do that. I was thinking the rule was different. I wish our 5-6 player games were 45-60 minutes.... They are usually 1 1/2 - 2 hours...
Are you correctly explaining what you're doing here? I think the game shouldn't last longer if people are not losing resources on 7's, it should actually move quicker. 5-6 player games do tend to drag, compared to 3-4 player games, despite the larger map and the building rounds.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #2335
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The problem with 5-6 player games is the trading. There are 1-2 more people to discuss trades with and that adds to the time frame. The best way to speed things up is a timer on the trading rounds. We had to do this with my mom. We had 5-6 player games taking 2-3 hours. I wanted to pull my hair out.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #2336
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The iOS version only allows 4 players; I'm trying to imagine what a 6-player game would be like.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #2337
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Are you correctly explaining what you're doing here? I think the game shouldn't last longer if people are not losing resources on 7's, it should actually move quicker. 5-6 player games do tend to drag, compared to 3-4 player games, despite the larger map and the building rounds.

I corrected myself above.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #2338
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The iOS version only allows 4 players; I'm trying to imagine what a 6-player game would be like.

You need the expansion. It makes the board larger.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:39 AM   #2339
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

We've played a few rounds of Letters from Whitechapel this past week. We've been playing using the app for Jack to choose his hideout, and it makes quite a difference. If Jack can't meta-game his lair and shorten the game, the balance really shifts dramatically back toward the police. I'm thinking using the app we might give Jack the use of the letters.

The tension in this game is palpable. Everyone who has played Jack found the game wonderfully stressful. It makes for a very enjoyable experience.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #2340
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
We've played a few rounds of Letters from Whitechapel this past week. We've been playing using the app for Jack to choose his hideout, and it makes quite a difference. If Jack can't meta-game his lair and shorten the game, the balance really shifts dramatically back toward the police. I'm thinking using the app we might give Jack the use of the letters.

The tension in this game is palpable. Everyone who has played Jack found the game wonderfully stressful. It makes for a very enjoyable experience.

I've bought it, and I'm wanting to get a group to play it. Between war gamers and family, though, I don't have that group. Some day maybe. Nice to hear it's a tense experience.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #2341
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

BGG has it listed as playing best with two, so you don't really need a group.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #2342
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
BGG has it listed as playing best with two, so you don't really need a group.

Perhaps the wife can be convinced. She's normally anti-gaming, but she has a tendency to stay up light to watch criminal minds so she might be darker than I give her credit for.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #2343
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Based on the suggestions here, I shifted my focus a little in de-emphasizing roads and emphasizing development cards. Worked wonders when I won a close game solely on victory cards and largest army.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #2344
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The guy who won my last play won on development cards.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #2345
tarcone
Coordinator

And the designers of Thunder Alley have just put Grand Prix on the P500 list at GMT.
I have preordered. Maps compatible for both games.
The system is outstanding. No dice, purely card driven. But lots of decisions to be made.
Being a sports related message board, you guys should jump on this game. Its right up your alley. I cannot tell you guys how much I love this game. It is outstanding

Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #2346
tarcone
Coordinator

Game night yesterday.
4 of us gathered.
Started off with a game of Thunder Alley. What can I say that I havent?
Then a game of Smash Up. I dont like this game. It seems so unbalanced. But then I am probably wrong and looking for a negative. But it just doesnt do it for me.
Next was another game of Thunder Alley.
We finished playing DC Comics Deck Building game. Great game. I dont like deck builders, except for this one. Great game.

Fun night. Unfortunately my group is in a much different season in life.
My kids are 12 and 14. So I have some freedom. The others have toddlers, infants or babies on the way. One is just getting married.
Its hard to get together. And of course, some are notas in to gaming as I am.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #2347
Thomkal
Head Coach

Commander,

You've defeated the Aliens in the Digital World, can you now defeat them in the board game world???

Fantasy Flight Games [News] - You Are Humanity's Last Hope

Looks like it will be a lot of fun. Interesting that it has a digital component, and that each player takes on a specific role in the XCom hierarchy.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #2348
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Commander,

You've defeated the Aliens in the Digital World, can you now defeat them in the board game world???

Fantasy Flight Games [News] - You Are Humanity's Last Hope

Looks like it will be a lot of fun. Interesting that it has a digital component, and that each player takes on a specific role in the XCom hierarchy.

Pretty psyched about this. I do loves me some co-op games.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #2349
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So... Amazon has Agricola for $36.63, which is the lowest it's been for the Amazon official price:

Amazon.com: Agricola: Toys & Games
Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #2350
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Fantasy Flight Games [News] - Imperial Assault

Yep.