Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #23601
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I guess I am taking the question too literally.

If you had asked me in January, I would have said that I was better off for the reasons Ben gave.

But, today, I am worse off because the global pandemic has drastically altered my life.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #23602
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Because cruelty is on the menu...

Native American health center asked for COVID-19 supplies. It got body bags instead.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 05-06-2020 at 09:02 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #23603
RendeR
Coordinator

Yeah, it was a mistake alright...
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #23604
spleen1015
Coordinator

Trump never wanted to be President. He just wanted the power that comes with being the President.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #23605
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I am better than where I was 4 years ago at this moment. But we are entering a huge recession and likely a depression. So not sure where I will be in 3 months.

When the markets completely crash, I think people will be singing a different tune.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #23606
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Get government the fuck out of the way and watch how quickly people return.

I hope you're right; I think you're wrong.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:57 AM   #23607
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Get government the fuck out of the way and watch how quickly people return.

I agree with this sentiment on a lot more issues than most on this board do, but the thing is doesn't really fit with the facts in this case IMO. People were leaving before the government got in the way, which is why the airline industry, restaurants, etc. were taking a massive sales hit even before the shutdown orders. Where I used to work at Applebees, their projections (for one of the busiest locations in the Midwest) on when things return to pre-pandemic 'normal' is years, if ever. I do think activities will be closer to normal soon in some businesses, but it seems to me just a plain fact that the pandemic has had, and will continue to have, a major impact on consumer behavior regardless of what government does.

Most people around me, regardless of age, are now wearing masks and it's a conservative area. I'm sure what you describe is accurate to where you live, but a particular state or even region can't revive the economy on its own even if they all behave as you describe. It needs to be a not just nationwide, but worldwide recovery for that to happen.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-07-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #23608
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Ipsos poll says 77% of laid off workers think that they will get their jobs back.

So, right now, people are still thinking of the economic impacts of COVID as unlikely to affect them, personally, long or medium term.

They might be right. If we do get ahead of the virus and get the V-shaped recovery, then the President's high numbers right now make sense. Everyone gets their jobs back, and we look back at these 3 months as some weird bad dream we had. And the President goes into the November election during a booming recovery.

But, if people start to think that their jobs won't come back--and they start to think that before November, then things could go South for Trump in a hurry.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #23609
Galaril
Pro Starter

The unfortunate fact is and we are seeing it with our corporate clients already business will try to make back some of the financial losses by cutting operations (payroll). My ex- wife worked at a hair salon and she was furloughed, but she was lucky to get a full time job at Amazon doing deliveries. She does not expect the salon to hire her back, since she was low on seniority there. I think people are going to be sadly mistaken that their jobs will come back and if so pay will probably be cut.

Last edited by Galaril : 05-07-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #23610
Galaril
Pro Starter

Unemployment numbers this week 3.2 million more ugh. Now is 33.4 million unemployed that is crazy.

Last edited by Galaril : 05-07-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #23611
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I keep going back to the CBO projection of almost 10% unemployment at the end of next year.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #23612
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
The astonishing thing is it never seems to have occurred to Trump a competent response to the crisis would bolster his reelection chances, all he knows is the con, evading responsibility, pointing fingers, doing nothing but feeding his faithful bullshit.

Quote from a random person on twitter, but it sums up my feelings to some degree.

It's like you ask you kid to clean his room before he goes out to play, and it would take him 10 minutes, and he'd be done. But instead, he spends hours trying to sneak out, trying to hide the mess under the bed, trying to trick his little brother into picking stuff up for him. He's so into avoiding work that he makes his life way way harder than it has to be.

We were rallying around the flag, and just doing the job well would have put us on a much better position both economically and from a public health perspective. Other countries are starting to open up at the same time we are, but with much better public health structures in place.

But I wonder if it just ever occurred to him to do a good job.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #23613
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The CDC put together a 17-page guide for re-opening and the WH shelved it because it was too complicated.

We're just going to Leroy Jenkins this.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #23614
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Quote from a random person on twitter, but it sums up my feelings to some degree.

It's like you ask you kid to clean his room before he goes out to play, and it would take him 10 minutes, and he'd be done. But instead, he spends hours trying to sneak out, trying to hide the mess under the bed, trying to trick his little brother into picking stuff up for him. He's so into avoiding work that he makes his life way way harder than it has to be.

We were rallying around the flag, and just doing the job well would have put us on a much better position both economically and from a public health perspective. Other countries are starting to open up at the same time we are, but with much better public health structures in place.

But I wonder if it just ever occurred to him to do a good job.

This is the way he has operated his whole life. Being President is not going to change that.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #23615
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
This is the way he has operated his whole life. Being President is not going to change that.

This is the point where he'd declare bankruptcy and move on to finding the next group of investors.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #23616
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/polit...ion/index.html

Won't someone please think of the corrupt officials?
Old 05-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #23617
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/polit...ion/index.html

Won't someone please think of the corrupt officials?

Yeh we clearly need to tighten up corruption laws, make their more of federal crime or heavier penalties at the state level
Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #23618
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yeh we clearly need to tighten up corruption laws, make their more of federal crime or heavier penalties at the state level

Add it to Citizens United as "Laws that will need a different Supreme Court if you want it passed and upheld" Maybe when they finish gutting abortion rights, the remnants of the ACA and voting rights, Democrats will treat the courts with the importance Republicans have used for years.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #23619
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You realize this was a unanimous decision, right?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-07-2020 at 11:39 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #23620
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The case wasn't about whether the officials were corrupt or not, but whether their actions fit the criminal code for which they were convicted.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #23621
tarcone
Coordinator

The movie The Goonies is a statement of where our country is going under Trump. And Trump is the HS kid that isnt a goonie.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #23622
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well I guess trump won't try to pardon Flynn after all. Barr did all the work for him.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #23623
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I wonder how many times the DoJ has dropped a case after the defendant pleaded guilty.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #23624
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Considering my twitter follows, my social media timeline is LIT with Flynn/Barr takes.

But I wonder if literally one persuadable voter will change her mind or choose to vote or not vote based on Barr dismissing the case against Flynn.

I would put the over/under on 1.5 voters will be affected by this, and I'll take the under.

The weather in Detroit will have more of an impact on the election than Barr/Flynn.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-07-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #23625
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The CDC put together a 17-page guide for re-opening and the WH shelved it because it was too complicated.

My dog's name is Leroy Jenkins. That is all.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #23626
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
I keep going back to the CBO projection of almost 10% unemployment at the end of next year.

Obscenely optimistic IMO.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #23627
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The weather in Detroit will have more of an impact on the election than Barr/Flynn.

I'll co-sponsor this take.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #23628
Flasch186
Coordinator

It's all a con and the swamp is being drained and replaced with hydrochloric acid.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #23629
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
The unfortunate fact is and we are seeing it with our corporate clients already business will try to make back some of the financial losses by cutting operations (payroll). My ex- wife worked at a hair salon and she was furloughed, but she was lucky to get a full time job at Amazon doing deliveries. She does not expect the salon to hire her back, since she was low on seniority there. I think people are going to be sadly mistaken that their jobs will come back and if so pay will probably be cut.

This is super true. My wife's employer has been only mildly effected from what she can tell and yet started cutting staff because their last 2 months weren't 'as profitable' as the investors would like. This is despite the company growing like a rocket the past 5+ years and raking in money hand over fist.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #23630
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Everything's a con.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #23631
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

Most are essentially doing some version of this (making their own concept), though most probably at least take the recommendations/science into acount to some degree and, of course, are actually way further along towards the other side in the curve/wave/whatever.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-08-2020 at 09:37 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #23632
Jas_lov
College Starter

Ha! When I saw Pence delivering that PPE yesterday I wondered if those boxes were empty. This administration can't do anything right.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #23633
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mike Pence caught on hot mic delivering empty boxes of PPE for a PR stunt. pic.twitter.com/IduvGhiPwj
— Matt McDermott (@mattmfm) May 8, 2020

Everything's a con.

Vice President Pence Delivers PPE to Woodbine Rehabilitation Center | C-SPAN.org

In his defense, it does look like that was a joke and they did deliver some legit boxes in minutes 7-9. The clip comes from about the 9 min mark and he says something about "them (the empties) being a lot easier".

The problem, of course, is that it's totally believable that they would deliver empty boxes to a nursing center that needed PPE. I mean, if the story came out and you had to believe which was true and which wasn't, it's a coin flip. Was he delivering empty boxes because they didn't have any but still wanted the good press? Was he delivering empty boxes to make a scene to try and own the libs after? Was he actually delivering, you know, actual supplies. Who knows?

It goes back to what albionmoonlight said: " But I wonder if it just ever occurred to him to do a good job." And some days you really wonder.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #23634
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Of course, I now fully expect Trump to get all frothy about this and how it's just another example of the liberal media trying to make him look bad. Never mind that's a late night "funny" man and, again, seems totally on brand for him to do.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #23635
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I saw a Trump 2020 ad running this morning in D/FW during the Today Show. It was all COVID defense, clips from the media praising Trump and the federal response. Even had Cuomo thanking the federal government.

I would love to see the polling that drove this; is Texas in play or is the administration’s response so bad that even his base needs to be sold on it. Either way it seems like bad news for them. Of course, they have raised a ton of money so maybe they’re just running spots everywhere.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #23636
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I believe the last few polls show Biden within a point or two of Trump in Texas.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #23637
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Here is Real Clear Politics:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - Texas: Trump vs. Biden

Of the two polls that came out at the end of April, one showed Biden and Trump tied and the other showed Biden ahead +1 (though that was a Dem poll). So that's likely why the Trump ads.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #23638
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #23639
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The test will keep an asymptomatic person from infecting others. Seems like the test did what it was supposed to do.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #23640
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Also feel free to back up your words. Stop testing at the White House if you don't think it works. Be a "warrior".
Old 05-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #23641
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

"...the brown acid that is circulating around us is not specifically too good."
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-08-2020 at 03:45 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #23642
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Wife of Stephen Miller. You hate to see it.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #23643
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So that is 3 people who work at the White House who tested positive in the last 2 days? And they still aren't wearing masks? That's... not a good idea.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #23644
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That's... not a good idea.

Or is it.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #23645
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

That's the most idiodic thing ever. {almost, because this guy is the definition of idiot.}

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #23646
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Trump sending ventilators to Russia after pushing back on the governors:

Trump says he's giving ventilators to Russia's Putin for coronavirus response - Business Insider

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-08-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:03 PM   #23647
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Wife of Stephen Miller. You hate to see it.

He is positive also. Shame
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #23648
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ovid-19-report

11 Secret Service agents tested positive for Covid 19. Yikes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #23649
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh and now Ivanka's personal secretary has it. This is going to tear through the White House. Wear masks and stay away from each other, you morons!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2020, 11:28 PM   #23650
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I certainly don't want anybody in the White House to die, and I can't celebrate the fact that knocking out any part of our key leadership positions would probably cost some actual lives....but I will also admit that OH MAN! would it be delicious to watch Trump, Pence or Kushner get personally & directly kicked in the dick by this virus.