Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #2351
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
They'd get beat up. They wouldnt have the depth to play in that conference nor the talent.

They snuck 2 games out against ACC early in the season but I doubt they are going to sneak up and steal a conference win at Maryland when it counts.

This. It's one thing to get up twice a year against solid teams. It's another to get up every game vs solid teams
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #2352
MrBug708
Head Coach

So who here has a hard time predicting the Missouri upset?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #2353
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Hope you have some sort of package to catch the two games the Pac-10 will play in this year's tournament.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #2354
digamma
Torchbearer

Harvard gets a bid to the CIT to play App State. First post-season game for the Crimson since the 1946 NCAA tournament.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #2355
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I dunno -- I think Missouri's unique style can be difficult to prepare for and tough in a tournament-type selection. It is a little easier for B12 teams to know what to expect once they have seen it once or twice, but I think, should WVU and Missouri both advance, it could cause WVU some problems if they start chucking shots up after beating the press, rather than setting up their offense. I'm not real thrilled with the 6, 7, or 10 seeds in WVU's "pod."
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #2356
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I dunno -- I think Missouri's unique style can be difficult to prepare for and tough in a tournament-type selection. It is a little easier for B12 teams to know what to expect once they have seen it once or twice, but I think, should WVU and Missouri both advance, it could cause WVU some problems if they start chucking shots up after beating the press, rather than setting up their offense. I'm not real thrilled with the 6, 7, or 10 seeds in WVU's "pod."

I feel the same way. The good news for WVU is that Joe Mazzulla has come a long way in terms of recovering from his injury. Early in the year when he was in too much pain to contribute more than a minute or two per game, WVU had a ton of trouble with pressing teams and needed a last second shot to beat Cleveland State after blowing a 15 or so point lead because of CSU's press. I feel a lot better with Mazz running the offense than I do with Truck.

So I do worry about Missouri and definitely Marquette, should things unfold that way. For whatever reason, Clemson doesn't concern me as much.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #2357
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Harvard gets a bid to the CIT to play App State. First post-season game for the Crimson since the 1946 NCAA tournament.
I'm mad that there are only four postseason tournaments. If they'd just open up one or six more, New Orleans might have a shot in 2011 in their final year of D1 play.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #2358
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Coach Anderson has always made similar comments in that regard. He's always more worried about the first game of the weekend in the NCAA tournament because that team has more time to work on dealing with Mizzou's pressure. If Mizzou wins the first game of the weekend, he's always said that the second game brings his team an advantage because the other team has 36 hours at most to prepare.

WVU's one saving grace may be that they know they'll face a pressing team in the next game whether it's Mizzou or Clemson. They'll have to work in some time on the press this week.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #2359
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

So who is more likely to advance beyond their first game - Washington or Gonzaga? Looking at KenPom, seems like the Huskies are the better bet...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #2360
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Hope you have some sort of package to catch the two games the Pac-10 will play in this year's tournament.

10 seed or not making it, it's all the same to this UCLA fan. But those are our expectations. I certainly don't hold it against anyone else

Last edited by MrBug708 : 03-15-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #2361
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I feel the same way. The good news for WVU is that Joe Mazzulla has come a long way in terms of recovering from his injury. Early in the year when he was in too much pain to contribute more than a minute or two per game, WVU had a ton of trouble with pressing teams and needed a last second shot to beat Cleveland State after blowing a 15 or so point lead because of CSU's press. I feel a lot better with Mazz running the offense than I do with Truck.

So I do worry about Missouri and definitely Marquette, should things unfold that way. For whatever reason, Clemson doesn't concern me as much.

Truck is frustrating to watch at this point. He came in as a combo guard that was known more for being a jump shooter. Right now he has an average handle, doesn't do a good job of making sure the team gets into its offensive sets, and his shot is just completely gone.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #2362
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
No CAA team has won a game against an ACC team on their court, let alone 2 in one year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I don't believe UNC would be in the top 4 in the CAA

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Last edited by sovereignstar : 03-15-2010 at 05:59 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #2363
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If anyone wants to see how to clusterfuck a bracket, you ought to be watching the abomination that the women's selection commmittee has wrought.

edit to add: The longer the selection show went the worse it got. It looks like humans did about half the placements & an assortment of drunk monkeys & ferrets did the other half.

Maybe the worst example:

Team A: RPI 19, 25-5, 18-1 in conf #16, SOS 77, 6-5 vs Top 100 RPI, best win vs #14, worst loss vs #99
Team B: RPI 24, 27-4, 16-0 in conf #13, SOS 114, 6-5 vs Top 100 RPI, best win vs #41, worst loss vs #99

Team A = 10 seed
Team B = 7 seed

WTF?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-15-2010 at 06:55 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #2364
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't really follow women's basketball, but I see that the WVU women are a 3 seed with a potential 2nd round matchup against 6 seeded Texas in Austin. How in the hell did they let that happen?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #2365
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If anyone wants to see how to clusterfuck a bracket, you ought to be watching the abomination that the women's selection commmittee has wrought.

edit to add: The longer the selection show went the worse it got. It looks like humans did about half the placements & an assortment of drunk monkeys & ferrets did the other half.

Drunk monkeys and ferrets, you say? Hold that thought! I need to call the NCAA tourney committee and recommend an improvement

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #2366
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't really follow women's basketball, but I see that the WVU women are a 3 seed with a potential 2nd round matchup against 6 seeded Texas in Austin. How in the hell did they let that happen?

That's simple to explain (much simpler than me finding an actual copy of the rules to get their verbiage)

The bad luck belongs to WVU is Texas having a down year & becoming a 6 seed, bad luck because Texas playing at home is mandated by rule
If a team’s institution is serving as a first‐ and second round host, the team will be assigned to the institution’s site.

Period. End of sentence.

By & large early round games at neutral sites for the women have been a disaster in terms of ticket sales, at least outside of the big time hotbeds for the sport. You might get away with having four non-home teams in Knoxville or Storrs but there aren't 16 places that can take on the financial responsibility of hosting without having a good shot at having a local team involved. I know that Chattanooga (just for one example) tried it a few years ago & ended up with UNC as the most local team and sold something like 1,500 tickets for the whole weekend, took a bath. I'm sure last year in Los Angeles was even worse, with barely 1,000 people ... last year in the first round and 700 in the second.

Here's an article from last week that goes into more detail, mentioning that non-hosted (i.e. no home team) sites lost as much as $40k last year and even some of the hosted sites, such as Michigan State, lost $30k.

edit to add: Looks like the tough luck site this year might be Tempe, who gets Georgia, Tulane, Oklahoma, and UTC while another tough luck team is Texas A&M who is a #2 seed but could face #7 Gonzaga in Seattle in the second round.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-15-2010 at 07:45 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #2367
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow. That's a-- I just don't know what to say. That's a joke. I mean, there really isn't any other way to put it. Could you imagine? So, uh, BYU, Kansas State, and North Texas- you get to play in a pod with #10 Florida in Jacksonville. Hell, we only let them in the tourney so we could sell tickets and now we're giving them a huge edge to try and knock off a #7 and #2 seed!

There really is no other emotion I can use to describe it. It's just a joke.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-15-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #2368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
There really is no other emotion I can use to describe it. It's just a joke.

One of our college hockey fans should correct me if I'm wrong but it looks as though the rounds leading up to the Frozen Four have similar things happen.

Last year #3 seed Denver opened on a neutral site but would have played unseeded Duluth-Min in Minneapolis in Round Two, #4 seed Michigan also would have faced unseeded Yale in Bridgeport in Round Two as well. Not quite home ice but pretty damned close if you ask me.
NCAA.com – The Official Website of NCAA Championships - NCAA
Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #2369
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

They should just give the teams a higher seed if they know they will be at home. For example (I will choose Mizzou to make you guys happy) the Tigers are a very low seeded team this year but if the first round game were in Columbia I would think their chance of winning against Clemson would be close to 100%. (same with Clemson going the other way) They should move them up a couple of seeds.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #2370
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Yep, it's the same way in hockey.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #2371
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Is there anything that is more interesting to us individually and less interesting to everyone else than brackets? Fantasy sports are up there but way more people play and talk about brackets. One of my friends sits and sweats out a close game between a 3 and a 14 because he had the 3 seed. No shit, everyone had the 3 seed. We don't care about your brackets!

At work I can't wait for the tournament to be over so I can go back to the normal and quick "Weather's great" conversation with people I don't want to talk to.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #2372
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Is there anything that is more interesting to us individually and less interesting to everyone else than brackets? Fantasy sports are up there but way more people play and talk about brackets. One of my friends sits and sweats out a close game between a 3 and a 14 because he had the 3 seed. No shit, everyone had the 3 seed. We don't care about your brackets!

At work I can't wait for the tournament to be over so I can go back to the normal and quick "Weather's great" conversation with people I don't want to talk to.

You're salty today
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #2373
digamma
Torchbearer

No surprise, but Paul Hewitt's contract rolled over today without being terminated. Adds another year to the buy-out if GT were to let him go after the tournament.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #2374
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

cough** cough**
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #2375
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Mizzou-West Virginia at 2:40ET, in theory, for those asking earlier

SI

Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #2376
JeeberD
General Manager

Tom Penders is out at Houston...

Penders to Resign as Cougars Head Coach

I know a lot of UH fans really want Billy Gillispie, and UH's AD was Associate AD at UTEP when the Miners hired BCG...I wonder if he's ready to come back?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #2377
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oklahoma is in a lot of trouble
Old 03-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #2378
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oklahoma is in a lot of trouble

For what? Didn't see anything, but maybe I missed something.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #2379
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ditto. I haven't seen the news. Do tell.

SI

Old 03-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #2380
Emmett13
Mascot

Tommy Mason-Griffin has left the team (OU), and with Gallon reportedly getting paid 3 grand before the season his outlook isn't very good right now.

Willie Warren is supposedly not coming back either. That's their three best players.

Obviously, this Oklahoma State fan is just heartbroken.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #2381
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

James Anderson announced that he will be going pro. Not unexpected, but a tough loss for OSU.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #2382
Emmett13
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
James Anderson announced that he will be going pro. Not unexpected, but a tough loss for OSU.

Yeah, been expecting that since October though, when he basically said this would be his last year.

OSU should be about the same level (7-10 seed) next season. They lose Anderson and Muonelo but they get a lot of depth, and their starting point guard back from injury. Which means no more Fred Gulley, who could be the worst offensive starting guard in the nation.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #2383
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett13 View Post
Which means no more Fred Gulley, who could be the worst offensive starting guard in the nation.

No, that would be London Warren, starting point guard of the Dayton Flyers. If there is any doubt about this, please watch the UD-Cincinnati NIT game tonight at 9. Your doubts will be quickly erased.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #2384
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
For the record, after the debacle last night, the rumors from people with good track records of being right is that our AD is feeling the heat with John Pelphrey from the money people and he is even money to be fired soon.

Those same people say that Mike Anderson still wants the job.

Just saying.

(for the record, I repeat I am not sold on MA being a good hire, but I am sold that he would damn sure be better than Pelphrey right now).

hold on to your butts. the above is still true and picking up steam.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #2385
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
hold on to your butts. the above is still true and picking up steam.

It's a joke at this point. There's no way Mike Anderson is going to Arkansas. Let's make a friendly wager. You name the price at a price range you can afford to lose.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #2386
MJ4H
Coordinator

I didn't say he is going to Arkansas. I said he has told people that he will if it is offered to him. This has come from multiple sources. The road block at this point is our AD. He is firmly behind Pel. Mike's interest has been known for awhile now. It was confirmed by several different reputable sources again today, but the only reason I posted here is because our AD is showing signs of caving.

I'm not wagering with you about whether our AD caves, sorry. I actually don't think he will. But this *is* heating up right now.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #2387
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a joke at this point. There's no way Mike Anderson is going to Arkansas.

Of course he isn't, would be hard to take the Arkansas job when he's going to be the new head coach at Auburn
Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #2388
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm certainly not all that fired up about Mike Anderson. I like him and think he's an upgrade, but the most important thing to me is making a change from Pelphrey. We need an upgrade, badly. I'm not that picky right now. Just getting desperate.

I think one of the things that scares Jeff Long is what happened with Dana Altman taking the job and then backing out. That is how we got stuck with Pelphrey. It was embarrassing at the time. One of the reasons that the Mike Anderson thing is gaining steam is that our money people contacted him already and got assurances that he would come. This is the only reason our AD might give in. At this point, I'll take it.

Last edited by MJ4H : 03-22-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #2389
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I didn't say he is going to Arkansas. I said he has told people that he will if it is offered to him. This has come from multiple sources. The road block at this point is our AD. He is firmly behind Pel. Mike's interest has been known for awhile now. It was confirmed by several different reputable sources again today, but the only reason I posted here is because our AD is showing signs of caving.

I'm not wagering with you about whether our AD caves, sorry. I actually don't think he will. But this *is* heating up right now.

And I've heard from both Coach Watkins and Coach Richardson that he has no interest in Arkansas. Specifically, he's not even interested in any school in the SEC. He's had experience recruiting against those schools in that conference during his time at UAB and doesn't want to do that again. That's the truth and it's far better information than anything you're being fed on any Arkansas message board.

And no one has approached Coach Anderson in the Arkansas money camp. That's just an outright lie.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-22-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #2390
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
And I've heard from both Coach Watkins and Coach Richardson that he has no interest in Arkansas. Specifically, he's not even interested in any school in the SEC. He's had experience recruiting against those schools in that conference during his time at UAB and doesn't want to do that again. That's the truth and it's far better information than anything you're being fed on any Arkansas message board.

That's nice and all, but I trust the people that I'm getting information from. As in I know exactly who they are and who they talk to. The thing that makes me certain is that it isn't just one of them. In fact, the most trustworthy ones didn't belive it until today. And they are 100% on board now.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #2391
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
And no one has approached Coach Anderson in the Arkansas money camp. That's just an outright lie.

Oh, yes they have. They did it weeks ago first and again last night/today. They did it in ways that are "not FOI-able." It happened.

Last edited by MJ4H : 03-22-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #2392
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That's nice and all, but I trust the people that I'm getting information from. As in I know exactly who they are and who they talk to. The thing that makes me certain is that it isn't just one of them. In fact, the most trustworthy ones didn't belive it until today. And they are 100% on board now.

Great. Who are they specifically and/or a link? I've cited who I've spoken with and they're two people who are about as close to Coach Anderson as you can get. You're citing nothing.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #2393
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oregon is starting their talks with Jaime Dixon, let's see what happens there. I bet next in line is Few and then Turg at A&M
Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #2394
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Great. Who are they specifically and/or a link? I've cited who I've spoken with and they're two people who are about as close to Coach Anderson as you can get. You're citing nothing.

Oh, you misunderstand. I have absolutely no interest in proving it to you. I'm simply alerting you and others. Disbelieve if you want, that's fine.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #2395
timmynausea
College Starter

If Anderson leaves, that'd be like the red ring of death for Missouri's program.

(OK, not really.)
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #2396
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oh, you misunderstand. I have absolutely no interest in proving it to you. I'm simply alerting you and others. Disbelieve if you want, that's fine.

Of course. Forget about your legitimate sources, MBBF. I've got some super secret ones that are better.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #2397
MJ4H
Coordinator

Oh, these are quite legitimate.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #2398
timmynausea
College Starter

Not that I want to get mixed up in this, but under any circumstances, would those coaches really tell a Missouri fan, "Yeah, Coach A. is hopping on the first train out of here. Can't wait to leave."
Old 03-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #2399
MrBug708
Head Coach

Do you really believe that both of them would tell you the truth about the situation? All you got was a non answer that any coach with any ties would say in that situation.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #2400
MJ4H
Coordinator

There aren't coaches. These are BOT members that are pissed at our AD for not wanting a change. Our AD thinks that less than 5% of the fans want a change and that Mike Anderson doesn't want the job. At least he has been telling people that. Money people today made contact and got word (for the second time) that yes, he would take the job.

They are making it known that this happened to put pressure on the AD. So, yeah, at this point, they don't mind a leak or two.

edit: thought some of those were directed at me, but I'll leave it for informational purposes.

Last edited by MJ4H : 03-22-2010 at 08:14 PM.