Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #2401
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Claimed.

Sorry, dude. That's my thought now. Please come up with another.

Oh, and... your Beloved Cards? Claimed!

I claimed them first dude-like some 30+ years ago, so back off!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #2402
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Also... this scientist dude isn't seriously saving the world is he? Only problem I have right now is he comes off as *so* dumb that I can't actually believe that he fooled military action hero dude into taking up this cause for him. I dunno, I'm mildly curious at this point, but those two dudes and the stripper girlfriend are basically caricatures at this point to me and barely actual people. Perhaps that's a nod to the comics, but as someone who hasn't read them, that's my read on them so far.

those three are fairly true to the comics
Old 03-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #2403
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I saw a picture and can't find it now, but the Terminus woman looks a lot like the woman in the bloody picture that Michonne found
Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #2404
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I saw a picture and can't find it now, but the Terminus woman looks a lot like the woman in the bloody picture that Michonne found

You mean the painting she found in the creepy house?

I thought the notion about that was that it was a painting of Lizzie?

(would be par for the foreshadowing thing they've done lately)
Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #2405
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Tasha Yar (e.g. Denise Crosby)! I remember that really pissing me off when STTNG killed her off in season 1 or 2 by a blob.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-25-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #2406
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

had no idea that was Denise Crosby

found the painting and honestly on second viewing I'm not so sure

the discussion is here - no spoilers, just speculation (much of it the same as we've made here).

honestly, this one comment seems the most logical

Quote:
The portrait is of the lady sitting in the rocking chair in the nursery. Overalls and a braided pony tail hanging down her left shoulder. After killing her family she killed herself, but not before vandalizing her self portrait, wrapping it up nicely and leaning it up against the door.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #2407
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Tasha Yar (e.g. Denise Crosby)! I remember that really pissing me off when STTNG killed her off in season 1 or 2 by a blob.

Huh! I had no idea that was Tasha Yar in Terminus.

As for STtNG, she wanted off the show. They didn't want to kill her, but she was going to leave. She didn't think the material was good enough and wanted to pursue movies and things.

That did not work out too well for her. No, not at all.

As far as I was concerned, best thing that ever happened to the show. It allowed Worf to become head of security and get a more prominent role. Yay Worf!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #2408
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Huh! I had no idea that was Tasha Yar in Terminus.

+1
Old 03-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #2409
Butter
Coordinator

I have enjoyed this half season, but like every other season they seem to seize on a theme and run it into the ground. Everybody has been on the road too long. At some point, you would figure that this story could get out of a corner of northern Georgia, but it seems destined not to. Maybe they're saving that for the sister show.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #2410
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dunno what the rest of the episode will bring but ...

Stupendous, simply stupendous. Repurposed, in general, from the source in a way that nobody watching would have ever imagined. I think they just topped the opening episode for sheer stunning shock value. Maybe one of the greatest individual moments in TV history?
Old 03-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #2411
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Possibly a bit cliched for the end but, honestly, I think we needed a bit of chutzpah for the finish. Phenomenal moments with an ending that leaves an almost comforting sense of "we got this" to carry us through until next season.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #2412
kingfc22
Head Coach

Solid episode. Really looking forward to next season.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #2413
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interestingly enough I'm seeing a good bit of grousing on my FB tonight. People seem to have wanted more somehow. More resolution, more answers, more action, more ... something.

I'm damned good with it since I kinda believe next season should be a fairly straight follow from the source (guess we aren't heading to Virginia for that to happen)
Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #2414
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

watching Andrew Lincoln on Talking Dead is simply mesmerizing. the accent change is astonishing.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #2415
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's a good TD episode in that both Gimple & Lincoln spelled out the intent of several scenes/moments/lines from the episode ... and that I caught them all while watching.

I mean, if the audience is capturing the unspoken stuff you're shooting for then that's gotta be a good sign for both the writing & the acting (or it is to me anyway).
Old 03-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #2416
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Since not everybody watches Talking Dead 'til the end, I'll mention that they revealed/confirmed that the final line from tonight's episode was written & filmed (but not used obviously) with a wee bit stronger language than what actually aired.

I get why they didn't but man oh man, that would have blown Twitter sky high if they'd dropped an F bomb there.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #2417
Edward64
Head Coach

Beginning to think that Terminus is leading to Soylent Green scenario ... did not want to kill but keep them alive and fresh
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #2418
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess we still have Carol and Tyrese out there, maybe Beth. There was some talk that Beth(spoiler)
was maybe with
Spoiler
from the comics due to the fact that the car did have a cross on it(it wasn't a hearse like many said).

Wouldn't be a bad idea if maybe they brought back Morgan. He finally decided life was worth living, stumbled across the prison and it was overrun, maybe then he decided to follow the train tracks.

I don't see how they can spend a ton of time in Terminus, simply because a trapped in peril type scenario doesn't stay that believable for long. Not enough action available.

Also, it would be great if they could tie in some of the Walking Dead game characters at some point. Jennifer Carpenter from Dexter needs a new gig, the character Lilly from the WD season 1 reminded me of her a lot-

Last edited by stevew : 03-30-2014 at 11:05 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #2419
Jas_lov
College Starter

Where do you guys get greatest of all time tv moments? "They're messing with the wrong people" was terrible. All you could do was laugh at that last line and Rick chewing off a guy's neck. This season wasn't good. Maybe they can salvage it with the cannibal angle but I doubt it.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:10 AM   #2420
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Maybe one of the greatest individual moments in TV history?

Not even remotely close in my mind, but you like the show a lot more than I do in general, so, not gonna give you much shit for floating it out there.

It was a solid episode IMO, I'm good with where it leaves things, and that moment was very very good. Breaking Bad would get one F bomb or two a season, always silenced by AMC, but every single one of them still carried pretty heavy weight. If Walking Dead were considering doing the same thing, I think it would have worked here too.

I know a lot of folks here had problems with an episode here or there this half season, even those that usually defend the show when I'm the one complaining... but I think this was easily their best half season of the show to date. My main complaint is that they didn't do anything to help out Glenn as a character. If you already liked him you probably liked him more here, but if you thought he was a poorly written empty character, then you were left just not giving a shit about him some more, and that's where I'm at. We needed some Glenn backstory, probably some Maggie story too.

But everyone else, it all really worked for me. I care about Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Bob, Tyreese, Beth and even Carl more than I did when they all left the prison.

Honestly this whole season was very good EXCEPT for the episodes involving the Governor. They decided to close out that story, but I think that character was so broken that there was no possible way they could have redeemed him. Their attempts to do so felt rushed and fake and none of it worked at all to me. But everything before that worked, and everything after it worked. Looking forward to next season to see if they can keep it up!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #2421
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Where do you guys get greatest of all time tv moments? "They're messing with the wrong people" was terrible. All you could do was laugh at that last line and Rick chewing off a guy's neck. This season wasn't good. Maybe they can salvage it with the cannibal angle but I doubt it.

The ending as something we're supposed to find "comforting" was pretty terrible.

So the cannibal-people clearly corral you into the place where they want you, get you to drop your weapons and march yourselves into the boxcar, whereupon they lock you in, and your bold pronouncement of "they're messing with the wrong people?" is supposed to make us feel like you're some tough guys? Hahaha

Newsflash Rick - you're definitely not the first person to have thought about escaping the cannibals, and if this wasn't TV and you weren't a protagonist you'd be fucking dinner.

But of course it is and you are, so you'll make some great escape cuz they're boneheads or something.

The chewing at the guy's neck was...just weird. That whole scene was pretty weakly setup.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-31-2014 at 12:28 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:31 AM   #2422
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Don't knock plot armor, it keeps our shows on the air.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:50 AM   #2423
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Newsflash Rick - you're definitely not the first person to have thought about escaping the cannibals, and if this wasn't TV and you weren't a protagonist you'd be fucking dinner.

Everything else you mentioned falls under "we all like different things" essentially, but if this is something you take issue with with TV shows... which ones actually pass?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:00 AM   #2424
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Maybe one of the greatest individual moments in TV history?

haha, come on, seriously.

First half was pretty meh in my opinion. Not for 1 second did i believe anything different then what did happen was gonna happen. That doesn't make it bad, but I believe TV shows that try to create drama where the viewer doesn't believe in the danger is bad TV.

Second half was pretty good, infact, I thought it was easily the best 20 minutes of the season. Now here i felt like i did not know what was about to happen.

It's all about picking spots. 1st half, not so much, 2nd half of the episode, very well done.

Despite enjoying the final 20 minutes much more then the first, i did feel the final line was as corny, and poorly written as it can get. I get why it's there, but it would have been better, IMO, if Rick didn't say a word.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 03-31-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 AM   #2425
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
haha, come on, seriously.

Absolutely.

The abrupt nature of it, the sheer extraordinary shock value -- not the outcome but the method -- the only thing in recent memory I can think of that rivals it might be Gus Fring leaving that room.

Easily one of the greatest individual moments I've ever seen in TV or film.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:17 AM   #2426
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Didn't someone do a similar kill on like Sons of Anarchy or something. Maybe it was a throat rip I'm thinking of.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:36 AM   #2427
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Not even remotely close in my mind, but you like the show a lot more than I do in general, so, not gonna give you much shit for floating it out there.

It was a solid episode IMO, I'm good with where it leaves things, and that moment was very very good. Breaking Bad would get one F bomb or two a season, always silenced by AMC, but every single one of them still carried pretty heavy weight. If Walking Dead were considering doing the same thing, I think it would have worked here too.

I know a lot of folks here had problems with an episode here or there this half season, even those that usually defend the show when I'm the one complaining... but I think this was easily their best half season of the show to date. My main complaint is that they didn't do anything to help out Glenn as a character. If you already liked him you probably liked him more here, but if you thought he was a poorly written empty character, then you were left just not giving a shit about him some more, and that's where I'm at. We needed some Glenn backstory, probably some Maggie story too.

But everyone else, it all really worked for me. I care about Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Bob, Tyreese, Beth and even Carl more than I did when they all left the prison.

Honestly this whole season was very good EXCEPT for the episodes involving the Governor. They decided to close out that story, but I think that character was so broken that there was no possible way they could have redeemed him. Their attempts to do so felt rushed and fake and none of it worked at all to me. But everything before that worked, and everything after it worked. Looking forward to next season to see if they can keep it up!

could not agree more with all of this. I really wish the current show runners had been with the show from the beginning. They've done such a great job adding life to so many characters. I mean, the transformation of Michonne alone has been brilliant.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #2428
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really enjoyed last night's episode and I really liked almost all of this half-season. Some great moments and they've done well with the characters, a place that was lacking before at times.

I guess some people are disappointed that the season finale wasn't "big" enough or what not, but I think they've made a conscious effort not to have the season finale be some big, giant super-special event where there is a massive kill off. They did that at the end of season 2 when the farm got overrun, but it's good to have things not be so predictable.

The cast is pretty full right now with the addition of Tara and Abraham's crew. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #2429
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Everything else you mentioned falls under "we all like different things" essentially, but if this is something you take issue with with TV shows... which ones actually pass?

I don't take issue with it with TV shows - I'm perfectly fine suspending rationality to that degree. It didn't upset me about that situation. I'm just pointing it out here because if I just said "Newsflash Rick - you're dinner" inevitably someone would point out that they wouldn't kill everyone in that boxcar because they need the show to go on.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:47 PM   #2430
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Dunno what the rest of the episode will bring but ...

Stupendous, simply stupendous. Repurposed, in general, from the source in a way that nobody watching would have ever imagined. I think they just topped the opening episode for sheer stunning shock value. Maybe one of the greatest individual moments in TV history?

Are we watching the same show?

I thought the episode was "pretty good" which unfortunately makes it easily one of the best of the season.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #2431
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Are we watching the same show?

On the off chance it wasn't clear, my comments there were directly about the one scene in particular, not about the entire episode.

While I thought there was quite a bit right with the episode as a whole I wouldn't give it that sort of rave overall. That one scene however was most likely my favorite in the history of the series, supplanting the nature of the universe establishing scenes from season one.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-31-2014 at 07:30 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #2432
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The opening parts that are basically exactly the same as 28 Days Later?

I do think the tank thing was pretty brilliant. I wish darabont was still directing.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #2433
BishopMVP
Coordinator

(I'll preface this by saying this was probably the best half season, but I still like to complain about poor in-world choices.)

Nice job "scouting" the perimeter, burying the cache of stuff, including an extra weapon, and then just having all 4 people walk into the small enclosed killzone instead of sending in 2 people first. So now either we have some kinda preposterous escape by an unarmed and presumably well-guarded prisoner(s) when they're led out to be eaten, or some fortuitous twist of fate where Tyreese and Carol or some unseen group comes to Terminus, figures out what's going on, and saves them all. Instead you could've had Rick+1 go in to make contact, and then when he doesn't come back out some sort of Rambo-esque Daryl and Carl or Michonne ready to fuck up some cannibals and initiate the rescue mission. Just seems a better way to tie up that storyline.

(The other part that cracked me up was that solo person standing in the middle of a semi-circle swinging a tree branch against zombies. First of all, it's 2? years into a zombie apocalypse and you don't at least have a sharpened stick yet? And second of all, there's like a 6 foot gap between zombies in part of that circle - just run through it!)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:09 AM   #2434
chinaski
College Prospect

Yikes, I thought the finale sucked. The Terminus climax and all that was just completely stupid imo.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:28 AM   #2435
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
(I'll preface this by saying this was probably the best half season, but I still like to complain about poor in-world choices.)

Nice job "scouting" the perimeter, burying the cache of stuff, including an extra weapon, and then just having all 4 people walk into the small enclosed killzone instead of sending in 2 people first. So now either we have some kinda preposterous escape by an unarmed and presumably well-guarded prisoner(s) when they're led out to be eaten, or some fortuitous twist of fate where Tyreese and Carol or some unseen group comes to Terminus, figures out what's going on, and saves them all. Instead you could've had Rick+1 go in to make contact, and then when he doesn't come back out some sort of Rambo-esque Daryl and Carl or Michonne ready to fuck up some cannibals and initiate the rescue mission. Just seems a better way to tie up that storyline.

(The other part that cracked me up was that solo person standing in the middle of a semi-circle swinging a tree branch against zombies. First of all, it's 2? years into a zombie apocalypse and you don't at least have a sharpened stick yet? And second of all, there's like a 6 foot gap between zombies in part of that circle - just run through it!)

you left out the part during the confrontation with the gang when Rick dodges out of the way of the gun and then struggles to get to his composure and get to his feet...all while the ringleader stands all shaken up as if he's a bad guy in a terrible karate movie.

as good as this show has become - and I feel this has been leaps and bounds over previous seasons - there will always be dumb moments that make you scratch your head.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #2436
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
all while the ringleader stands all shaken up as if he's a bad guy in a terrible karate movie.

Well he had just been headbutted in the face.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #2437
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well he had just been headbutted in the face.

Exactly. He took it right in the nose. Might have even broken it. It's very painful and disorienting. Also, I think the scene moved to slow-mo - Saving Private Ryan style - while Rick got his bearings.

I really didn't see too much of an issue with all of that.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #2438
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Exactly. He took it right in the nose. Might have even broken it. It's very painful and disorienting. Also, I think the scene moved to slow-mo - Saving Private Ryan style - while Rick got his bearings.

Pretty much my thoughts there as well.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #2439
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've already mentally prepared myself for at least 8 episodes in the static remote easy to film location. I hope to god this doesn't last into the spring season.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #2440
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I've already mentally prepared myself for at least 8 episodes in the static remote easy to film location. I hope to god this doesn't last into the spring season.

Assuming this is going to combine two storylines from the source, using elements of each for a revised TV version, I suspect pretty much all of next season will be in a fairly static location.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #2441
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I think the headbutt came after the shenanigans I'm talking about. This is when Rick was on the ground.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #2442
Thomkal
Head Coach

At least that damn biker gang got what it deserved. I thought the final line from Rick would have worked a little better without that awkward pause. It will be an interesting battle between two well disciplined and trained foes next season. Will find it hard to believe that it lasts more than an episode or two before one side wins out (likely with at least one character dying)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #2443
PilotMan
Head Coach

The big question is "Who will be forced to eat one of the members of the party?"

Could they possibly go there?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #2444
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The big question is "Who will be forced to eat one of the members of the party?"

I could see the lesbian girl offering herself as sacrifice since she was on the bad guys' side at the prison.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #2445
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

God I hope not-I'd stop watching
Old 04-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #2446
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

IMO, Rick taking that guy hostage before anyone could eat the BBQ was a clear indicator that they aren't going to go there.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #2447
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I vote Glenn! But guilty lesbian girl is the likely option.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #2448
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

The issue is some people don't realize that this isn't the REAL WORLD and they have to pick apart everything little thing that can to show how "fake" the show is, regardless if they like it.

Let us all remember that the basis of this show is zombies, something that doesn't exist in real life and that it's based off a comic book.

I love reading everyone's takes on here, but I really get tired of the constant picking apart of the show. Rick is the hero, the gang (at this time) are the heroes, there is going to be stretching of reality. The show has fucking zombies for gods sake.

Last edited by DanGarion : 04-01-2014 at 10:16 AM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #2449
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
The issue is some people don't realize that this isn't the REAL WORLD and they have to pick apart everything little thing that can to show how "fake" the show is, regardless if they like it.

Let us all remember that the basis of this show is zombies, something that doesn't exist in real life and that it's based off a comic book.

I love reading everyone's takes on here, but I really get tired of the constant picking apart of the show. Rick is the hero, the gang (at this time) are the heroes, there is going to be stretching of reality. The show has fucking zombies for gods sake.

It's all in fun for the most part to pick apart absurd parts of the script. Remember this is a board devoted to playing imaginary football simulations without a console or graphics so we are 99% nerds who enjoy picking apart stuff like this. I agree there are some people who describe the show as unwatchable but continue to watch and bitch in this thread and there are some people who get their panties in a wad when you point out any inconsistancy like they work for AMC or something. For the most part its just conversation... thread with 2500 replies >>>> thread with 25 replies.

Last edited by panerd : 04-01-2014 at 10:24 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #2450
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

The show is picked apart quite meticulously, more so than most shows it seems. At least that I am aware of. A lot of it doesn't seem all that justified or is pretty easy to explain away if you just give the show the benefit of the doubt. Not all of it, mind you, but a lot of it.

It all goes back to the picayune...