Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #201
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

can someone please explain the duels to me? I died on my first one, I guess I didn't read the tutorial properly lol.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #202
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
can someone please explain the duels to me? I died on my first one, I guess I didn't read the tutorial properly lol.

I didn't really understand what I was doing on it either, but somehow I shot the hell out of the other guy.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #203
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Playing my first ever horseshoes game. Down 6-0, and not looking good. Then magically I threw a ringer... I had not been close on any prior.

This shit is hard.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #204
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Had a lot of fun playing last night. I died three times. Once was when I was hunting a bounty. I got the guy killed but then I kept getting attacked by other groups (4 different times) the last group did me in because they came so quickly after the 3rd. This game is going to be a lot of fun.

Through my careful calculations, I believe they are considered the fellow gang members hunting you down to get revenge. Basically need to keep riding to the nearest town and shooting them down as they come
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #205
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Playing my first ever horseshoes game. Down 6-0, and not looking good. Then magically I threw a ringer... I had not been close on any prior.

This shit is hard.

Make sure you're lining up your throw in aiming mode. I wasn't doing that at first and things got a lot easier once I started using it.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #206
Groundhog
Coordinator

Welp, it was released here today and, despite my moaning and bitching in the video games thread, I bought it for $100 so I could have it in my hands straight away, rather than buying online for $70 and getting it in 3-4 days.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #207
korme
Go Reds

I am incredibly bad with dead eye. Don't think I'm doing it right.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #208
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anyone find any bears or lions yet? If so, where?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #209
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Played some horseshoes, killed me some bad men, hearded some cattle, bought a new gun.. time for a nap.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #210
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Bears are up in the Northeast. West, northwest of Blackwater. Tall Something??

Lions, I dunno.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #211
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I am incredibly bad with dead eye. Don't think I'm doing it right.

If you have 360 (don't know ps3 controls), press RB to "paint" your target and then RT to shoot. You can paint multiple targets or multiple spots on one target.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #212
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The 'stats' menu is a great beginner's source of slight spoilers/hints of what you can do, and what is to come.

Spoiler
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #213
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Oh jeez.

Spoiler
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #214
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Mountain lions tend to be around the outskirts of the map, where the "mountains" are located
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #215
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Fuck, this game is creeping into my real life now.

Just had to go into the backyard to grab something. It's dark, and I start thinking, "Wow, if this was RDR, I'd be checking my back every 5 seconds to make sure something isn't stalking me." As soon as I finish this thought, the dog next door starts barking like crazy. 25 seconds later, I pick myself up off the ground, wipe off the mud, look around to make sure no one saw me, and walk back into the house full of shame.

Last edited by illinifan999 : 05-20-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #216
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

CRAP! Stupid mistake. I got a beautiful stallion from a mission. Well, the next mission involved herding cows and I didn't do so well on my first attempt. So, I decided to go to the screen where you can retry missions. It even warned me that unsaved progress will be lost.. well, I just lost my great stallion I guess I could re-do that mission as well to get him back.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #217
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Spoiler

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 05-20-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Spoiler Tags. Even though I didn't really say shit you never know what pisses me ppl off.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #218
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Alright, I finally woke up after work..

who wants to play (and doesn't mind that I haven't even tried it before) +
Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #219
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
CRAP! Stupid mistake. I got a beautiful stallion from a mission. Well, the next mission involved herding cows and I didn't do so well on my first attempt. So, I decided to go to the screen where you can retry missions. It even warned me that unsaved progress will be lost.. well, I just lost my great stallion I guess I could re-do that mission as well to get him back.

Yeah I had that Stallion, a great horse he was- I even named him. Then I shot him in the head (on accident). It was sad.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #220
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Has anybody bought the expensive horses? Like 1500 bucks expensive.. Is there really a reason to fork out that much dough for a horse. The stallion seems like it's more then enough.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #221
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Has anybody bought the expensive horses? Like 1500 bucks expensive.. Is there really a reason to fork out that much dough for a horse. The stallion seems like it's more then enough.

I haven't, wish there was some sort of "horse stat guide" or something. Just broke a beautiful horse that I'd love to keep, but I can't tell if he's faster or has more stamina or anything.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 AM   #222
Atocep
Coordinator

I have roughly 11 hours of playtime so far and I've completed all of 12 missions. They've done a great job of giving you things to do outside the main story and sidequests. I was bored with roaming around GTA 4 after a couple hours.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #223
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Made the mistake of wandering into a particularly bad spot in the mountains, where I was attacked by 5 boar, 6 mountain lions, and about 20 wolves in rapid succession. I died.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #224
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I have roughly 11 hours of playtime so far and I've completed all of 12 missions. They've done a great job of giving you things to do outside the main story and sidequests. I was bored with roaming around GTA 4 after a couple hours.

Seems to be a big difference for me between GTA and RDR. I got the same bored feeling from GTA that you mention.

I haven't hit that point yet with RDR. The world just seems so much nicer to explore than GTA.

On a game note, screwed up on one of those random encounter quests. A guy was carrying a woman off as she was screaming and I was running after him and then was going to shoot him in the leg to drop him. Unfortunately we were on uneven ground and just as I went to shoot I slipped as did he and my shot killed the woman he was carrying.

Of course I had to shoot him and then loot them both afterwards (no sense in letting money go to waste).

Did succeed (finally) in a couple of those random quests as I saved a guy who was being robbed and also a woman who was about to be hung.

I still haven't seen a rattlesnake... I must not be paying enough attention.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:43 AM   #225
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This cow herding mission sucks balls. Oh noes, they're running for the cliffs!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #226
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Fuck, this game is creeping into my real life now.

Just had to go into the backyard to grab something. It's dark, and I start thinking, "Wow, if this was RDR, I'd be checking my back every 5 seconds to make sure something isn't stalking me." As soon as I finish this thought, the dog next door starts barking like crazy. 25 seconds later, I pick myself up off the ground, wipe off the mud, look around to make sure no one saw me, and walk back into the house full of shame.

Yesterday on my way to work I saw some wild flowers along the side of the road, I thought about stopping to pick some.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #227
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

I've wondered if that will hit me. In GTA IV I got bored pretty shortly after I unlocked the main island and never went back. So far with RDR I just unlocked Mexico and feel more excited about the game then ever. We'll see how long that lasts.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #228
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I've wondered if that will hit me. In GTA IV I got bored pretty shortly after I unlocked the main island and never went back. So far with RDR I just unlocked Mexico and feel more excited about the game then ever. We'll see how long that lasts.

I've finished the first mission guy off in Mexico and started the next guy, and am still having fun. I think it's the varieties of the missions. In GTA, it seems like every mission is "drive to point A, kill people, escape police, drive to point A". In RDR, I'm still doing mission types that I've never done before.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #229
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Has anyone spent substantial time just kicking around and not doing missions? Just free roaming to see how far they can ride a horse in one direction, or looking for towns, nothing related to moving the game along per se, just exploring?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #230
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Has anyone spent substantial time just kicking around and not doing missions? Just free roaming to see how far they can ride a horse in one direction, or looking for towns, nothing related to moving the game along per se, just exploring?

Every time I try to do that a blue dot pops up and someone needs help with something... Then I find myself back in or right around Armadillo.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #231
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

The only thing that is frustrating me is the horses. You'd think a game where your primary means of transportation would give you some sort of info about the horses, other than a brief description in the general store. A little note in the stats screen about what horse you're currently riding would be amazing as well.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #232
SportsDino
College Prospect

Consider horses similar to guns, sure there are stats underneath, but after playing the game a while you will get a 'feel' for the various guns and horses and instinctively know that a certain horse/gun is just better for your needs.

I would think for the majority of gameplay a middle of the range horse is just fine. Also I know there are loyalty bonuses for sticking with the same horse (more stamina the longer the horse knows you, so you can use the spurs more frequently to keep up speed). Basically I'd suggest getting a horse that looks cool more than worrying about stats... granted I haven't had any issues with racing or need for horse speed so far.

I'm actually playing more free roam than missions, a sort of woman-saving, evil-doing, poker-sharking, hunter-loner type. This game is bliss for stress relief (not to mention a time sink, gah!)... nothing funner then riding round the countryside and occaisonally stopping to shoot deer or other animals (and running like hell from anything dangerous).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #233
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The only thing that is frustrating me is the horses. You'd think a game where your primary means of transportation would give you some sort of info about the horses, other than a brief description in the general store. A little note in the stats screen about what horse you're currently riding would be amazing as well.

I agree - I have the War Horse code (for online) from Best Buy but who knows what is so special about it...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #234
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

The biggest difference for me between Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV is that exploring and doing side quests is actually fun to me in RDR. When playing GTA IV my attitude was basically do whatever gets me to the next mission, exploring the city really wasn't that much fun to me. Playing RDR so far I'be had a great time riding around doing the challenges, world events, meeting strangers, doing bounties and other exploring. It's also fun to play the mini games every once in a while and not having some asshole calling me every 5 minutes.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #235
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

I took some time recently to just ride around to the edges of the map. I'm still only in the first area but it has kept me plenty busy. I went looking for a place to hunt up in the mountains that I saw in preview videos but I'm guessing that's in the area up to the north that I haven't unlocked yet.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #236
spleen1015
Coordinator

The GTA formula was pretty awesome the first time around. GTA3 is a landmark game. By the time GTA4 came out, it was really the 6th game in the series. I know I was bored of it by then.

RDR is a completely new experience.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #237
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I took some time recently to just ride around to the edges of the map. I'm still only in the first area but it has kept me plenty busy. I went looking for a place to hunt up in the mountains that I saw in preview videos but I'm guessing that's in the area up to the north that I haven't unlocked yet.

AFAIK, there's no areas that are locked. I went pretty far to the east, making it to Thieves Landing before I wanted to get into the story mode so I turned around.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #238
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
AFAIK, there's no areas that are locked. I went pretty far to the east, making it to Thieves Landing before I wanted to get into the story mode so I turned around.

Hmm. I thought the area was locked because when I tried to set a waypoint to get there the game wouldn't let me do it.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #239
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
If you have 360 (don't know ps3 controls), press RB to "paint" your target and then RT to shoot. You can paint multiple targets or multiple spots on one target.

click or hold? press was a terrible way to describe what i should do!?

also, if you just click is it supposed only last around 2 seconds? if so, i cannot be quick enough to hit more than one target
Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #240
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Hmm. I thought the area was locked because when I tried to set a waypoint to get there the game wouldn't let me do it.

I dont know if you can set a waypoint in an area you havent been to before. But isn't thieves landing still in the mission area? Or is it in West Elizabeth?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #241
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Around when I had only done a few of the missions, I took my horse and went all through the land as much as I could, just to see if I could find new things myself. It seems the towns pop up as you progress through the game, though, so it's just a lot of abandoned land. Found a lot of flowers though!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #242
korme
Go Reds

My funny guy stranger has been a blast to deal with. After randomly meeting him, I then found him in the bottom of a mine, alone. Then, he was stuck in Pike's Basin with one of the gangs. Lots of gang members, and I rode my horse down into the basin and sneakily un-hogtied the funny man.

As he was running away and it was clear I was going to be unnoticed as I made my trip back up the cliff and out of Pike's Basin, I made the gut decision to turn back around and fight all of the Gang. It was epic.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #243
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
click or hold? press was a terrible way to describe what i should do!?

also, if you just click is it supposed only last around 2 seconds? if so, i cannot be quick enough to hit more than one target

You hold LT, click the right stick, then click with the RB where you want to shoot. An X will show you where you "painted" the target. When you're done "painting", hit the RT and he'll fire at all the spots. The "dead eye" meter to the right of your map will let you know when you're running out of time.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #244
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It's also fun to play the mini games every once in a while and not having some asshole calling me every 5 minutes.

This is one thing I have loved about it. I haven't played much of the Five Finger whatever but the card games, the dice game, and horseshoes are all legit fun games to play. I have spent a few hours playing blackjack and texas hold em.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #245
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Does anyone know how to get on the 2nd floor of the saloon in Thieves Landing? I am looking for a purple question mark there, but unless I am totally stupid the person I am looking for is not on the first floor and again unless I am missing the obvious I do not see how to get up top.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #246
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This is one thing I have loved about it. I haven't played much of the Five Finger whatever but the card games, the dice game, and horseshoes are all legit fun games to play. I have spent a few hours playing blackjack and texas hold em.

I thought the Five Finger game was fun, but easy. Good way to make money. This is the first Rockstar game where the side games don't feel like a waste of time. The poker game is a ton of fun.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #247
DanGarion
Coordinator

Some minor annoyances with the game. I wish you could cut out the skinning scene, it's annoying and repetitive. Also wish you could cut out the dealing and etc for poker. I get it you are dealing cards, but I don't need to see it every single time. Maybe I'm just impatient, but these games that force to watch the same squence over and over slightly annoy me.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #248
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

You can hit something (RB I think) to skip to your next action in the poker game.

Agree with your larger point, though, especially with respect to skinning.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-21-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #249
spleen1015
Coordinator

Speaking of the skinning scene....

The first time I skinned an animal, my 7 year old daughter was in the room talking to her brother who was watching me goof off. She watches it and says "Daddy? What kind of game is this? I'm telling mommy! MOMMY!!" And up stairs she goes.

I thought I was going to be fine since I wasn't really doing anything too nuts while she was in the room.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #250
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Some minor annoyances with the game. I wish you could cut out the skinning scene, it's annoying and repetitive.

It also sucks when you see a cougar running behind you, or hear the wolves making noise. Just get that feeling of dread.