Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #201
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Marbozir (on Youtube) has several playthroughs done, and another he just started, if you want to see how it looks/plays.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #202
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Marbozir (on Youtube) has several playthroughs done, and another he just started, if you want to see how it looks/plays.

Thanks, just watched a couple. I looks like fun but doesn't seem to have alot of replay value.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #203
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, just watched a couple. I looks like fun but doesn't seem to have alot of replay value.

I was bored so I took a chance on it. It does have some potential but it does have couple flaws.

There is a very high frustration factor. In the early game you have a couple troops and if you're not careful then a lone zombie can come by and basically wipe your settlement. Maps tend to be kind of open so getting walls up is a priority. Mid to late game can be kind of dull. You've probably cleared the map of zombies by now and you're just waiting for the final wave. This can take a while. And when the final horde comes it's a LOT bigger than anything that came before it and can easily wipe your town if you're the least bit unprepared, basically throwing away the last couple hours of your life.

That said getting a perfect beginning can be pretty addicting (I was well past the Steam refund time before I got the least bit bored). I'm also looking forward to see what they do with the campaign.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #204
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just looking back at my initial post in this thread about what games I was looking forward to and seeing if my dreams came true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
mmmm...

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Fantastic)
Battletech (Looking good for 2018
Dragon Quest 8 for 3DS (Another good one)
Tales of Berseria (Did not disappoint)
Mass Effect (Did not bother)
South Park (Waiting for price cut)
Star Citizen (2021 is around the corner)
Dragon Quest 11 (Another one for 2018)

Last edited by NobodyHere : 12-26-2017 at 11:00 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #205
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Made a classic mistake tonight that I'm kinda kicking myself for.

Allowed myself to get a little excited about the latest update to the FO4 mod SimSettlements ("Rise of the Commonwealth" or something to that effect). Basically, it takes the building plot concept of the SS mod and let's you (in some fashion yet to be seen) be almost entirely hands off and allow things to build / grow organically at the settlement level.

My mistake was being excited enough to kinda plan my evening around the 12/29 release date included in the hype video. 1130p on 12/29, still no mod.

The mistake was allowing myself to get excited, but I'd honestly prefer that the author -- who is responsible for very likely the most meaningful game mod I've ever personally seen -- have simply said "coming late December" or something.

At this point, with a fruitless night wasted and my next likely opportunity for extended time with it not coming for another two weeks (when the kid goes away on frat business for a few days), I honestly don't know that I'll ever be able to get into it without being pissed/disappointed about the delay.

Better, emotionally, to simply not give a damn I guess.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:58 PM   #206
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Just looking back at my initial post in this thread about what games I was looking forward to and seeing if my dreams came true.

Looking for less than $29.99 on South Park? It's been that price multiple times this holiday.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #207
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Made a classic mistake tonight that I'm kinda kicking myself for.

Allowed myself to get a little excited about the latest update to the FO4 mod SimSettlements ("Rise of the Commonwealth" or something to that effect). Basically, it takes the building plot concept of the SS mod and let's you (in some fashion yet to be seen) be almost entirely hands off and allow things to build / grow organically at the settlement level.

I played FO4 on my son's copy a couple years ago and stopped after killing Kellogg. I picked up my own GOTY version during the Christmas sale and have been playing it this past week.

I saw the Steam recent news on the Sim Settlements mod so downloaded it but have not used it yet (want to get the achievements) but may do so soon . Assuming from your frustration that its a good one. I do think the vanilla building of settlements, growing stuff etc. is hokey.

I've gotten past the killing of Kellogg in this current run through so everything else is going to be new.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #208
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Assuming from your frustration that its a good one. I do think the vanilla building of settlements, growing stuff etc. is hokey.

On the whole -- last night's frustrations aside -- it's simply the best modding work I've ever seen. And the modder has been on one hell of a roll in terms of delivery & such, prior to last night at least.

That said, having now read more about the latest update, it probably underachieves what was hoped for, at least at release. This particular add-on really isn't quite the revolution that his work as a whole has been IMO, but don't let that discourage you, the mod itself is nothing short of breathtaking afaic.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:14 AM   #209
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I picked up Ghost Recon Wildlands for $24, hope to dig into it tomorrow.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ended up getting a little time last night with the FO4 mod "Rise of the Commonwealth".

For those interested, I'd say the only people who should be in any sort of hurry at this point are those who literally won't build out settlements on their own (aside from maybe Sanctuary) and are just desperate to see things happen with little user involvement.

Buggy as hell on XBox right now -- probably saw more obvious bugs in two hours last night than I'd seen in 30-40 hours with all the previous SimSettlement content combined -- and honestly IMO was not ready for release.

Also, I hadn't spent much time on the devs forums until the past couple days. Let's just say that after watching some of his moderators & how they deal with users with completely legitimate bugs (and no hint of tone from the users, just discussion to understand the under the hood stuff, as many are modders themselves) that I don't have nearly the glowing opinion of the lead mod anymore.

This has, IMO, gotten bigger than he's capable of handling & is now past his capability for communication or testing. I mean, when your mod is creating a duplicate workshop in multiple settlements, even the most basic playtesting should have revealed that. And he apparently has no skill in choosing people to represent him.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:08 PM   #211
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Definitely say users should hold off on installing that latest F4 mod. The bug list keeps growing & some of them are pretty extreme. Random murders of NPCs (like Trashcan Carla) by the new "visitor system" folks. Duplicate workbenches (which can be worked around but are annoying as fuck at best), donation system (where you give auto-run settlements supplies) leads to either the upgrade system stopping or constant CTDs after a few hours or both.

This is one of the worst botched high-profile mods I can recall seeing, and I'm shocked that it hasn't reached the heavy backlash stage tbh. Good thing the modder doesn't do this for a living, cause it'd be a career killer IMO.

This is some untested shit, and how that's possible after such a fantastic run is bewildering to me.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #212
Edward64
Head Coach

Hah. Trashcan Carla stole one of my spare powered armor (before I knew to take the fusion core out of the spares). I'm glad she's dead!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:24 PM   #213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hah. Trashcan Carla stole one of my spare powered armor (before I knew to take the fusion core out of the spares). I'm glad she's dead!

There's several reasons to wish her ill but the loss of a convenient trader -- in a mod where suddenly scrap takes on meaning again for end-game players -- is a negative.

And she's just the most frequently mentioned victim(likely cause so many players started the process at Sanctuary). Others are apparently subject to being victimized by the same bug.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #214
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm officially hooked on Rimworld.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #215
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

I loved RimWorld so much last time I played it (like a year ago?) that I resolved I would wait until it was released to dig in again, to make sure I didn't burn out before it was feature complete....and it's KILLING me!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-02-2018 at 03:19 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #216
bob
College Starter

PM me if you want a steam key for WarhammerŽ 40,000™: Dawn of WarŽ III.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #217
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I loved RimWorld so much last time I played it (like a year ago?) that I resolved I would wait until it was released to dig in again, to make sure I didn't burn out before it was feature complete....and it's KILLING me!

Rimworld is great.

It's pretty close to completion. I think this latest release is going to be the last "big one" with just tweaks and fixes coming for the final release.

I've gone through spurts to avoid burning out on it, like thesloppy was worried about.

I fired it up over the holidays and I'm currently in my most successful game by far. I lucked out and crash landed on a site without winter. So, a few cold snaps aside, I have had a steady stream of food. I also haven't had any toxic fog of fallout, so I've been lucky there.

I have about 15 or so colonists. A ton of animals. And good weapons. I'm still not great at building defenses. The kill box concept eludes me.

The fear now is, figuring out just how long it will take to build the spaceship. I'll need to get the necessary resources for it, which, I fear, could be a bit of a grind.

I may go try to raid some pirates, just to see how that goes.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #218
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh, I have no desire to build a spaceship and flee this world. I will instead make this Rim...World...my bitch.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote