Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #201
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Altidore had been regulary scoring last season and with the season of experience in the bag, it's time to become the 25-goal scorer he's got the potential for. And by 25 I mean just in league matches, the knockout competitions are a crapshoot in terms of predicting # of goals.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-20-2012 at 11:49 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #202
miami_fan
Coordinator

De Gea is looking much more comfortable out there tonight.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #203
Grover
Pro Starter

Marouane Fellaini has been one of my favorite Premier League players since he joined Everton. He was a boss tonight, but so was Phil Jagielka.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #204
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Everton!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #205
cschex
High School Varsity

Wouldn't be hearing about this trophy drought if Arsene had stumped up cash for Jags anytime in the past 3 years.

Fellaini was in beast mode. I love the "target midfielder" role he plays.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #206
TroyF
Coordinator

Well, after round one, Arsenal are ahead of Tottenham and ManU. As bad as the draw was, I feel some happiness this weekend.

On the positive side for ManU, Robin did not have a hang nail in the loss.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #207
Logan
Head Coach

Heads up in case any of you were among the 120 who purchased tickets.

BBC Sport - Kenya's friendly match against Jamaica cancelled
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #208
miami_fan
Coordinator

Something tells me they could have held this match on campus at NYU and would have sold more tickets.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #209
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well I thought it is funny.....

Falkirk suspend PA announcer over 'franchise' jibe at Rangers | Football | guardian.co.uk

Quote:

Falkirk have suspended their PA announcer for making "inappropriate" comments about Rangers at the weekend.

The stadium announcer reportedly referred to Rangers as "Sevco Franchise" when reading out half-time scores during the interval at Falkirk's game against Raith Rovers on Saturday. The Scottish First Division side have also apologised to Rangers and launched an investigation.

The remarks make reference to Sevco Scotland, the name of the company who purchased the business and assets of Rangers in the summer, after the club was consigned to liquidation. Shareholders voted in favour of the owner Sevco Scotland Limited changing its name to The Rangers Football Club Limited at an extraordinary general meeting in July.

A statement from Falkirk's chairman Martin Ritchie on their official website read: "We have already apologised to Rangers FC and would now like to apologise to the many Rangers supporters who have been in contact with the club. Falkirk FC are treating this incident very seriously and the individual concerned has been suspended from his duties, pending a full investigation by the club."

The two clubs are to face each other in the second round of the Ramsdens Cup on Tuesday at the Falkirk Stadium, before meeting again in the Scottish Communities League Cup at Ibrox next week.

When asked about the comments, Rangers' manager Ally McCoist said: "I couldn't give a monkey's, to be honest with you. If he wants to have a wee dig, he can have a wee dig. I don't have a problem with it at all. It's probably not the right thing to do, I'd have to say, but I've got far bigger things to worry about than that."

© 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #210
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Adebayor permanently off to Spurs.

sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #211
miami_fan
Coordinator

One howler and a gift from the assistant have given Chelsea the lead
Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #212
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sounds like Kun Aguero could be back within a month. Great news.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #213
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

beIN Sport now has most (all of them except for the probable game at Mexico in the final round) USA's away games in World Cup qualifying. Previously many of these games were PPV only.

beIN SPORT purchases rights for USA World Cup away qualifiers

Hopefully Time Warner adds this channel at some point, then I wouldn't have to bother with streams anymore.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #214
Grover
Pro Starter

Matt Jarvis finally headed to West Ham for 7.5m rising to over 10m with clauses.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #215
whomario
Pro Starter

Arsenal getting Sahin on loan with an option to buy (17 mio euros is what i´ve seen)

Hope he gets back on track after a crap season with Real (not entirely his fault, injuries simply intervened too untimely), wonderfull player.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #216
whomario
Pro Starter

German league has started, Dortmund wins a close one over Werder Bremen yesterday with Reus scoring on his debut and then Götze with the game winner. First time in a while i went and it was fucking awesome, amazing atmosphere throughout even though Dortmund struggled a bit.

In terms of PL action, Rooney had half his leg sliced open it looked like (do not youtube it if you´ve just eaten)

ManU wins 3:2 against Fulham (who were pretty good), both Van persie and Kagawa with their first goals.
United did a piss poor job getting Kagawa involved, but every time he did touch the ball he was extremely explosive and dangerous towards goal.

Swansea with another clear win, wow.

Chelseas up 2-0 over Newcastle, the 2-0 was an amazing goal by Torres in combination with Hazard.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 08-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #217
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Arsenal getting Sahin on loan with an option to buy (17 mio euros is what i´ve seen)

Hope he gets back on track after a crap season with Real (not entirely his fault, injuries simply intervened too untimely), wonderfull player.

Sahin will be playing PL football for Liverpool instead of Arsenal.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #218
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm now officially missing games that count.

FUCK YOU BEINSPORTS AND FUCK YOU VERIZON!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #219
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Sahin will be playing PL football for Liverpool instead of Arsenal.

yeah, that was a fast development. Guess Mourinho is happy about that, Sahin gets playing time and he gets to screw with Wenger
Old 08-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #220
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
In terms of PL action, Rooney had half his leg sliced open it looked like (do not youtube it if you´ve just eaten)

ManU wins 3:2 against Fulham (who were pretty good), both Van persie and Kagawa with their first goals.
United did a piss poor job getting Kagawa involved, but every time he did touch the ball he was extremely explosive and dangerous towards goal.

United should be a bit more patient and try to work through the middle a bit more instead of just passing it to Valencia out on the right so often. At times it's like if they can't create an opening with a few passes they just give him the ball by default, expecting him to beat the opposing fullback, get to the byline, and cross it. It's not always a great plan, especially against Everton last week where Rooney was just surrounded by much taller players.

Kagawa has looked good in both games, he should have scored a second today but hit the post from close range. The van Persie goal was a beauty.

The defense should look better once Ferdinand or Evans gets back in there to partner Vidic and Carrick can go back to midfield. None of Anderson, Scholes, or Cleverley are particularly great at defending and in both games so far the back four hasn't gotten much protection from the midfield.

Apparently Rooney will be out four weeks but with an international break in the middle of that he might only miss two games. That gash was wide open too, like an inch wide strip of bloody flesh, nasty stuff.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #221
miami_fan
Coordinator

Martin Skrtel........FAIL.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #222
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

That header he scored in the first half was amazing though, the ball came off his head like it was shot out of a rocket.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #223
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Liverpool look like they're adapting to their new style far faster than I expected; was quite impressed with them today, especially Sterling who seems to be really growing into the Premiership quickly - despite them basically throwing the win away ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #224
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sounds like Theo Walcott might be the next Arsenal player out the door.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #225
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I missed most of it when it was live, but catching up on the replay of the Udinese vs Braga game, and this has been alot of fun to watch. Pretty exciting, attacking soccer on both sides for most of the game.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #226
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It probably doesn't feel great to be Maicosuel (Udinese attacking midfielder) tonight.

He came off the bench late in regular time to make his home debut, in the penalty shootout he tried a Panenka but the goalkeeper just stood still and caught it while everyone else on his team scored. Udinese lost the shootout 5-4.

The players were booed of the field at the end of it and Udinese probably lost at least $30m when they lost the shootout, there being such a difference in TV money between the Champions League and the Europa League. That's a tough debut. No wonder it looked like he was crying as he walked off.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #227
Grover
Pro Starter

Cracker of a first half in Madrid. Real lead 2-1 after dominating the half, Barca got one on a tremendous 35 yard free kick from Messi.

Di Maria missed a good chance right before the whistle blew.

4-4 on aggregate.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #228
Grover
Pro Starter

Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #229
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Champions League live draw going on currently

Spoiler

Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #230
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Champions League live draw going on currently

Spoiler

Awesome, can't wait to see the groupings.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #231
cschex
High School Varsity

Ajax and Dortmund are going to make that an awesome group.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #232
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
Ajax and Dortmund are going to make that an awesome group.

Yes, I am looking forward to seeing that group out of all of them.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #233
MIJB#19
Coordinator

ABCDEFGH
PortoArsenalMilanReal MadridChelseaBayernBarcelonaMan Utd
Dinamo KyivSchalke 04ZenitMan CityShakhtarValenciaBenficaSp Braga
Paris SGOlympiakosAnderlechtAjaxJuventusLilleSpartak MoskvaGalatasary
Dinamo ZagrebMontpellierMalagaBorussia DortmundNordsjaellandBATECelticCFR Cluj

Classic how they spoke about financial fair play and at the same time, you know, there are some clubs in there that are light years away from that.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #234
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Not a good day for Ajax fans.

A pretty easy draw for Man Utd, hopefully this year SAF doesn't mess around and play too many backups in these games. That's what fucked us last year, it should never have come down to needing a result in the last game.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #235
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
A pretty easy draw for Man Utd, hopefully this year SAF doesn't mess around and play too many backups in these games. That's what fucked us last year, it should never have come down to needing a result in the last game.

I can't imagine that Man United will make the same mistake twice. Their group last year was probably the weakest in the tournament and I still can not believe they made such a mess of it.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #236
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nice draw for Juve. Should make it through in 2nd or potentially even first place.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #237
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Not a good day for Ajax fans.
Au contrair, ManCity and Borussia Dortmund are much less likely to rig their games.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #238
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Wish it was more possible for me to see City play at the Bernabéu.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #239
Grover
Pro Starter

ANDY FUCKIN' CARROLL!

YESSSSSSS!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #240
Critch
lolzcat

Nigel de Jong to AC Milan for 3.5mil Euros seems like a steal.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #241
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

I bet they don't see much Karate in Milan, they're in for a treat.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #242
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

Goes along with City's buy high-sell low mentality. Can only hope the appointment of Soriano fixes that when he takes the position in September. The selling of de Jong doesn't bother me so much - word is he's looking for around 100,000 pounds per week and that is a helluva lot of money for an enforcer with limited technical skills. I believe he's already the highest paid at what he does. I just hope they seal the deal with someone similar or better tomorrow. They've been looking at Benefica's Javi Garcia I guess, who I don't know a ton about. I'm still keen on the Rodwell signing, but I see him more of a long-term Barry replacement and not someone who can be plugged into an away watch against Real Madrid this season.

Looks like they're brining Maicon aboard. Even though he's 31 and not quite the same player he was, I'm kind of excited about it. He could do a job as a wing back in City's 3-4-1-2.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #243
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
ANDY FUCKIN' CARROLL!

YESSSSSSS!

So does this lead to Dempsey finally heading to Liverpool?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #244
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Probably. Too bad Arsenal never made a push for him as he'll never get to play Champions League football in his career now.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #245
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So does this lead to Dempsey finally heading to Liverpool?

Aston Villa had a bid for Dempsey this morning, but he allegedly told them he only wants to go to Pool.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #246
Grover
Pro Starter

Bastos to Fulham
Llorente is even money for Spurs, Moutinho in at Spurs for £22m, a club record.
Gio to Mallorca
Afellay to Schalke on loan
Mbia and Granero to QPR, huge signings for them

Crazy day so far.

Last edited by Grover : 08-31-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #247
Grover
Pro Starter

Charlie Adam to Stoke for £4m
Scott Sinclair to City for £6.2m, what do you think of this, sovereign?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #248
Grover
Pro Starter

Inter's right back Maicon is also in at City.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #249
Grover
Pro Starter

van der vaart to Hamburg, I missed that one earlier.

Spurs have also agreed terms with Hugo Lloris, trying to work out a fee with Lyon.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #250
Grover
Pro Starter

Reports in Portugal claim Manchester City and Benfica have now come to agreement over Javi Garca - around £24million.