Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #201
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The issue with this team was always going to be pitching. You have one starting pitcher with few health questions, everyone else is a risk.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #202
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Bryce Harper is hitting all the things. Now he needs to just not go off the deep end if he gets walked 11 times in a series like last year.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #203
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Was Machado's slide dirty and intentional? I have a Red Sox fan on my fb that is convinced it was. It looked accidental to me but I figured I would appeal here

Your Red Sox fan might want to ask Pedroia his thoughts on the topic.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #204
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Giants call up their top prospect Christian Arroyo for today's game. He will immediately hit 6th and start at 3B. He was hitting .446/.478/.692 (with an unsustainable .481 BABIP) in his first 69 ABs in AAA. Kid is a Shortstop prospect with plus defense, line drive double power, slightly below average speed, but enough quickness/instincts to be a plus on the basepaths. He's also only 21.

Probably a reactionary move; rushing a prospect and starting his arb clock this early in what looks like may end up being a lost season for the team seems like a bad plan. It's still exciting to see what a young kid can do though.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #205
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Dola: I know it's early to say "may be a lost season" but the team has looked abysmal WITH Bumgarner in the rotation. Now that he's out for an extended period with a shoulder injury calling into question how effective he will be when he returns...Eesh.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #206
PilotMan
Head Coach

7 of Thames now 10 homers have come against the Reds. Dudes got another multi-homer game and it's only the second inning.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #207
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Dola: I know it's early to say "may be a lost season" but the team has looked abysmal WITH Bumgarner in the rotation. Now that he's out for an extended period with a shoulder injury calling into question how effective he will be when he returns...Eesh.

Well it is an odd numbered year.

Like Steam?

Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #208
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
7 of Thames now 10 homers have come against the Reds. Dudes got another multi-homer game and it's only the second inning.

The Cardinals pitched him about as well as anybody. Don't give him anything to hit. He'll take his walks, though.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #209
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Giants call up their top prospect Christian Arroyo for today's game. He will immediately hit 6th and start at 3B. He was hitting .446/.478/.692 (with an unsustainable .481 BABIP) in his first 69 ABs in AAA. Kid is a Shortstop prospect with plus defense, line drive double power, slightly below average speed, but enough quickness/instincts to be a plus on the basepaths. He's also only 21.

Probably a reactionary move; rushing a prospect and starting his arb clock this early in what looks like may end up being a lost season for the team seems like a bad plan. It's still exciting to see what a young kid can do though.

Seems like a panic move. Especially since they have to move Nunez to left which doesn't seem ideal.

Odds of a prospect like that coming up to the majors and hitting great are slim. So it probably isn't going to give them a spark now and the arbitration clock starting seems like a long term issue.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #210
MrBug708
Head Coach

Another pretty throw by Puig
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:06 AM   #211
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Seems like a panic move. Especially since they have to move Nunez to left which doesn't seem ideal.

Odds of a prospect like that coming up to the majors and hitting great are slim. So it probably isn't going to give them a spark now and the arbitration clock starting seems like a long term issue.

We're down two starting OFs though.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:40 AM   #212
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Worst case that giants spect is super 2. I believe he's been down long enough to earn a 7th year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #213
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The cold-blooded rationalist in me wants the Giants to trade Matt Cain before his peripherals catch up with him.

The Homer in me would be devastated if that happened.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #214
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

My takeaway from this is kind of, "Holy shit! Matt Cain's contract is tradable?!?!?"
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #215
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I really hope Giants trade, soon-to-be-expensive-free-agent Cueto.

So far this April Giants lost best and only left handed setup man, Posey with head shot, MadBum with mud,third starter to strain, Crawford to bereavement, left and center fielder with wall crashes. It's almost as bad as 2016 Dodgers.

Last edited by AENeuman : 04-25-2017 at 11:54 AM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #216
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
My takeaway from this is kind of, "Holy shit! Matt Cain's contract is tradable?!?!?"

Fair point.

I think locking up Cueto long-term is a better option Neuman. One bad year does not mean the window is closed, and the team is far closer to contender than rebuilder.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #217
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The most overrated SS in MLB history and the least successful politician in the Bush family bought the Marlins.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #218
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
The most overrated SS in MLB history and the least successful politician in the Bush family bought the Marlins.

Ozzie Smith and Billy Bush?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #219
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Reds are on a steady downward trajectory, but the way they're running through rookie auditions is pretty fun. Last night Ariel Hernandez struck out five in his debut as a reliever. He featured an 88 mph curveball. You can see a couple of examples here:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ariel...eady-be-elite/
Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #220
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Cueto, I'm wondering if we're going to see a downward trend in top tier SP contracts. Just seems like some of the smarter teams are avoiding those huge, long pitcher contracts. Are there going to be enough teams willing to give up $150 million guaranteed to pitchers these days?

Say Cueto opts out, who is going to be paying him more than that contract? Especially with Arrieta also a free agent.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #221
lungs
Pro Rookie

So Eric Thames has been drug tested three times since Spring Training. Twice in the last week.

And he went deep again tonight.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #222
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Trea Turner doing Trea Turner things. Coors Field gets him out of his slump and into his first career cycle.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #223
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Harper had two 4 hit games coming into this season. He's got 3 in 20 starts this year. Putting up a ridiculous .432/.548/.824 with 7 HR, 250 OPS+, and is on pace for something obscene like a 12 WAR season. Probably won't happen, but this start is off the charts and having Turner, Zimmerman, and Murphy all hitting well around him is keeping him from getting walked every time (19 so far).

I'm just going to enjoy his last 2 years in DC and then boo every time he shows up wearing pinstripes after that.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-27-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 AM   #224
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So somehow I found myself watching a half hour clip of Eric Thames hitting 47 homers in Korea and literally all the ones I saw were epic moonshots and he always did this crazy post home run dance with #42 on his team and it ended with the guy grabbing his beard.

Which begs the question, if you were literally having that much fun in Korea I don't know why you'd ever come back.

Plus the women there are pretty amazing looking.

*Also I can't be the only one that though Eric Thames was Marcus Thames, right?

Last edited by stevew : 04-27-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #225
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
I'm just going to enjoy his last 2 years in DC and then boo every time he shows up wearing pinstripes after that.

I still have hope. I look at the Scherzer signing as an example of Mike Rizzo being able to convince the owner to spend the money for the right player. If Harper continues to have another MVP-caliber season, I think they might be able to get something done. From what the press reports, the Lerners have a really good relationship with Harper, too, which I think will increase the chances that they will open the checkbook.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #226
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I still have hope. I look at the Scherzer signing as an example of Mike Rizzo being able to convince the owner to spend the money for the right player. If Harper continues to have another MVP-caliber season, I think they might be able to get something done. From what the press reports, the Lerners have a really good relationship with Harper, too, which I think will increase the chances that they will open the checkbook.

I just don't see them doing 10 years and $400 million.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-27-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #227
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So somehow I found myself watching a half hour clip of Eric Thames hitting 47 homers in Korea and literally all the ones I saw were epic moonshots and he always did this crazy post home run dance with #42 on his team and it ended with the guy grabbing his beard.

Which begs the question, if you were literally having that much fun in Korea I don't know why you'd ever come back.

Plus the women there are pretty amazing looking.

*Also I can't be the only one that though Eric Thames was Marcus Thames, right?

Maybe he likes bigger girls? Hence, the move to Milwaukee.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #228
Logan
Head Coach

The Mets just can't have nice things.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #229
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know Dansby Swanson isn't hitting and the pitching piece is struggling, but holy shit even Ender Incarciate straight up for Shelby Miller is a monstrous steal.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #230
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

When you said Swanson wasn't hitting, I went to check out his stats on Baseball-Reference and HOLY CRAP! I didn't know it was possible to get a -3 on OPS+
Old 04-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #231
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
When you said Swanson wasn't hitting, I went to check out his stats on Baseball-Reference and HOLY CRAP! I didn't know it was possible to get a -3 on OPS+

The season Uggla was released
.241/.231/.472, with an OPS+ of 35

Swanson YTD
.165/.195/.359, with an OPS+ of (-3)
Old 04-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #232
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Angel Hernandez is stunningly incompetent. Can baseball please find a way to get rid of him, Bucknor, West, and the rest of the chronically awful umpires.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-29-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #233
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Angel Hernandez is stunningly incompetent. Can baseball please find a way to get rid of him, Bucknor, West, and the rest of the chronically awful umpires.

I think Angel year after year is always considered the worst ump.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #234
bhlloy
Coordinator

Kinda ironic that America's national pastime is the one with the union so strong they can't get rid of umpires who have been consistently incompetent for 10+ years
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #235
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Adam Eaton out for the year with an ACL. Nats traded a ton to get him, he looked great leading off and good in CF, and now this.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #236
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Hope Syndergaard isn't hurt too badly.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #237
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Let it be a lesson that you shouldn't refuse an MRI after two different bouts of soreness/tiredness.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #238
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Anthony Rendon had a decent month yesterday.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #239
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Partially torn lat. Straight to the 10 day.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/227608...-of-right-lat/

Like Steam?

Old 05-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #240
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

On a distantly related note - the Corpus Christi Hooks (AA affiliate of the Astros) are doing special uniforms for their Dia de los Muertos tribute, and the caps are pretty f-in awesome:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/04/...th-skull-caps/
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #241
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Skaggs is out 10-12 weeks.

Angels can't buy a good, injury-free pitcher right now. It's amazing they're over .500 at the moment.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #242
Atocep
Coordinator

And Stan Holbrook with the worst ejection of a pitcher I've seen. Tosses Gausman for hitting Bogaerts with a breaking ball.

You can tell my Joseph's immediate reaction behind the plate that it wasn't intentional at all.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-03-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #243
bhlloy
Coordinator

Especially ridiculous after they specifically didn't warn the benches before the game and made a big deal about it, and then ejected someone in the second inning for a breaking ball that got away. Makes zero sense.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:08 AM   #244
miami_fan
Coordinator

I give Holbrook a pass. I am not sure if the type of pitch should be the determining factor of intent. Didn't a Brewers pitcher accidentally break Giancarlo Stanton's face with a fastball? At this point, much like PEDs, players receive no benefit of the doubt based on all the BS that has happened in the past. If a player is hit by a pitch, my immediate reaction is that it was intentional.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #245
PilotMan
Head Coach

This Dodgers team has me all

Like Steam?

Old 05-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #246
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
On a distantly related note - the Corpus Christi Hooks (AA affiliate of the Astros) are doing special uniforms for their Dia de los Muertos tribute, and the caps are pretty f-in awesome:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/04/...th-skull-caps/

I'm tempted to go down to see the Mud Hens on Sgt. Pepper Night: Toledo Mud Hens unveil Beatles’ ‘Sgt Pepper’ jersey - Bless You Boys
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #247
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I give Holbrook a pass. I am not sure if the type of pitch should be the determining factor of intent. Didn't a Brewers pitcher accidentally break Giancarlo Stanton's face with a fastball? At this point, much like PEDs, players receive no benefit of the doubt based on all the BS that has happened in the past. If a player is hit by a pitch, my immediate reaction is that it was intentional.

It was a 77 mph curve. If you're going to hit someone with a pitch intentionally it's going to be something you have better control of than a breaking ball.

Machado was thrown behind 3 times in this series and they decide to toss the guy with no intent to do any harm.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #248
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

Same way I feel about the Giants. It's weird because going back to last year, they were the best team in baseball until they were suddenly the worst team in baseball.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #249
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So I'm not really paying attention but just a quick glance at MLBTR makes me think that about 2/3 of the good pitchers in the league are on the DL right now.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #250
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Utley is no longer a viable positional player. Two strikeouts vs righties where he was caught looking. Pretty brutal
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote