Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #201
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

1st cut from the forthcoming new Anthrax album is available for free d'load from their website

Old 06-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #202
whomario
Pro Starter

best cover song i´ve heard all year and of a brilliant original (Phoenix - Lisztomania) no less :

whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #203
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Free d'load of full album from light post-grunge band Abused Romance. Not earthshaking but I figured free was free, especially for our musicphiles. Ran across them pretty randomly, checking the weekly active rock chart & spotted them at #48, did a little Googling and voila.

Hit their FB page for linkage
Incompatible Browser | Facebook
(seemed easier to find on their FB than on their website
Old 07-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #204
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wow, what a stunner. New Opeth record, which comes out in September, is totally free of death/harsh vocals and is heavy on the 70s prog sound (no real stunner there, though). It features a clarinet solo. I'm not sure what to think. Ten years ago, I would have said this is the only way I'd llisten to them, free from death metal vocals. Now, though, I feel differently, as I've grown to accept the sound and particularly with this band, how well it initegrates into the music and really highlights the heavy/soft dynamics in the music.

I hope this gives them a better shot at a wider audience, though, because they are the best band on the planet right now, IMO. At least I'll be able to play something other than Damnation in the car when I'm with the family...

Quote:
Opeth are no strangers to stepping far away from their death metal sound, what with writing the chilled-out progressive rock album Damnation and having the odd song here or there void of any sort of death metal influence. Opeth have always carried a classic prog rock influence about them, which definitely came out in the album artwork for their upcoming album Heritage (above), leading many to speculate that the album might further explore those 70′s rock influences. Now, it would appear as though Opeth mastermind Mikael Akerfeldt is done with the death metal sound and went all out classic progressive rock on Heritage.

This weekend during my regular perusal of the internets, I came across this particular post on the Prog Metal sub-Reddit that links to Finnish metal zine Inferno, where one particular writer attended a press listening party of the album. Here’s my paraphrasing of the good bits from Google’s translation. If I’m off base here, let me know:
The album was presented in 5.1 surround sound “for the first time, until today. I didn’t even know they presented it to journalists in surround sound. I had my doubts, but the end result gave me goosebumps, “said Mikael Åkerfeldt. The album is about 56 minutes in length, and a lot happens in that time frame—it all feels very tight. The following things came to mind, among others: Black Sabbath, The Beatles, jazz, King Crimson, Cream, Rainbow, Floyd, funk, Purple, Piirpauke, classical music, My Dying Bride, folk, Love, Jethro Tull, Iron Maiden …
The disc does not have any death metal or harsh vocals. The sound carries a lot of 70′s influence, and isn’t very powerful by modern standards. Keyboards, piano, and mellotron appear often.”Intro,” for example, features keys alongside double bass and clarinet. “We don’t care what others think,” Åkerfeldt said, “and if the fan’s don’t enjoy it, that’s their problem.” The frontman also said that he’s been tired of “extreme metal” since the 90s, but could not explain why. At this point in time, as far as Opeth is concerned, the death metal sound is over.
“I wanted to make an album like this since my twenties”, Akerfeldt said, adding that exploring these influences further would have been possible sooner had it not been for Opeth’s popular death metal roots. Not a single journalist had a bad word to say about Heritage. Regardless, it’s safe to say that the album will create a stir with its 70′s Prog style.
I couldn’t be any less shocked, but I am a bit apprehensive about it. It just figures that the greatest voice in death metal is sick of death metal. Cruel irony…

Heritage will hit stores this September on Roadrunner Records. It’ll probably still be pretty damn sweet.

- JR

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #205
Ksyrup

Just got the new Drake Bell EP, A Reminder, on Wednesday, and it's really good. I know I get a ton of shit for being a 40-year old male listening to Drake Bell, but the dude is really a talented musician, not just an actor thrown behind a mic to make Disney/Nickelodeon a ton of money. Sadly, he is one of very few artists waving the power pop banner these days, and you can tell it's authentic because (a) his original songs are solid (the major/minor chord progressions on Terrific are, well, terrific), and (b) his covers show a deep appreciation for the genre. Not only has he covered Jellyfish before, but on the EP, he covers a song from the band The Argument, who put out a fantastic album about 7 years ago.

If you can get past the fact that he's an actor with a fanbase consisting of nearly entierly screaming tweens and you like good pop/rock that has a Beatles/70s power pop vibe to it, check him out. He's by no means the greatest thing on earth, but he's more than just an actor who sings.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #206
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{shudders to think at how many of the fans are going to rip Opeth for the change} This could get ugly.

Hell, A7x catches considerable crap for even their style shift, I can only imagine some of the shit this might get after almost 20 years of gathering fans.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #207
Ksyrup

It's been a pretty slow transition that's been coming, though. They already did an entirely clean vocal album once before, and the last album had several songs that were entirely or almostly entirely devoid of death vocals. So it's not THAT big a shock, I guess. The bigger shock for me is the idea, if true (dude has a sharp sense of humor, so you never know), that he's been over extreme metal for years and is completely done with death metal vocals.

I would have thought this side of him was satisfied by side projects, such as the upcoming Storm Corrosion album with Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree. Get out the mellow stuff there, and still hit hard with Opeth. I guess we'll see. As much as I love Burden, I don't necessarily need an album of it.

As far as fan reaction - most of that will occur in Europe. The band isn't known enough in the US to create some sort of huge backlash that will really be felt. If anything, the positive I take from this is the opportunity for the band to be heard by people who never heard them before, or who refused to listen because of the death metal vocals.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-01-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #208
Ksyrup

New Dream Theater (no embedding):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08

Sounds like a return to the older stuff - the first 2:30 sound a lot like variations on Metropolis Part I and Pull Me Under from Images & Words.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #209
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I would have thought this side of him was satisfied by side projects

That's what I'd been thinking about Corey Taylor too, but there sure does seem to be a lot of smoke about the possibility of him leaving Slipknot altogether (and where there's smoke yada yada). I guess we never really know what's in the heads of a lot of these guys.

Quote:
As far as fan reaction - most of that will occur in Europe.

Most definitely. But those are some intense folks about their d.metal, especially the Scandanavians.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:30 AM   #210
StrangeWay
n00b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOZz_...eature=related
StrangeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #211
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Another sign I'm getting older ... just got tickets for what will be my son's first club show.

7/21 at The Loft (Center Stage)
Black Stone Cherry + Pop Evil + two unsigned bands (at least one of which, Lansdowne, sounds pretty good, the other I haven't found much from yet)

Been a fan of BSC since their debut in '06 (a rare debut CD purchase for me at the time) & Pop Evil at the very least has a catchy hit at the moment.

How's this for a time machine trip: Last time I was at this venue it was to see (and eventually end up having a drink with) Dangerous Toys.

edit to add: Found linkage on the fourth band, Kyng, (who is also on FB with an interesting interview clip that makes them likable if nothing else)
First album due this fall but here's a link to the first single "Falling Down". Significant Sabbath influence here but with different vocals
http://www.noisecreep.com/2011/07/01...ing-down-song/

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-04-2011 at 12:30 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #212
Ksyrup

I've been listening to Kyng on XM Liquid Metal for months now. They got some big backing as an unsigned band from LM, I guess because they have members from the band Ankla and another band.

They sound like Sabbath/LZ with a Chris Cornell sound-alike vocalist. Good stuff, although they tread on Soundgarden a little too closely at times. But heavier.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #213
korme
Go Reds

TAKING BACK SUNDAY

Last edited by korme : 07-06-2011 at 04:55 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #214
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not sure how many FOFC'ers ever use playlist.com but I've tinkered with it a few times after an old radio buddy recommended it.

Not many hard rockers here but if you find yourself in the mood for something fairly aggressive here's 101 songs that ought to work for you. I figure it's around 7-8 hours worth give or take a little.
Playlist.com | July Playlist

Built on a core of current active rock, there's also some classic metal, a dash of prog, some obscure stuff, some legendary artists.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #215
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

http://mashable.com/2011/07/18/mutemath/

New song by Mutemath. Album won't out until the fall.

Videos: News, Sports, Entertainment, Technology & More - USATODAY.com

Burlap to Cashmere's new album after a Chinese Democracy type break partly due to one of their members being nearly beaten to death is out tomorrow.

Derek Webb and Sandra McCracken's TN EP is out now.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #216
bob
College Starter

The single from the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album is out today (streaming at this link: The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ New Single “The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie” From Their Upcoming Album, ‘I’m With You’ ).
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
The single from the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album is out today (streaming at this link: The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ New Single “The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie” From Their Upcoming Album, ‘I’m With You’ ).

Heard it over the weekend, I'm still stifling the yawns. It's not terrible, it's just ... there. Not even bad enough to warrant changing the station.

YMMV of course.

And LOL (not at you, at them) at the "exclusive world premiere" business. It played on radio in Atlanta Saturday morning & I'm sure if a half-assed station like the one here had it then there were plenty of others.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #218
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Burlap to Cashmere's new album after a Chinese Democracy type break partly due to one of their members being nearly beaten to death is out tomorrow.

Pre-ordered it last week. Already downloaded in iTunes this morning. Listening now.

It's very, very good.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #219
Easy Mac

I've spotify-ed my top 5 albums of the year so far.

http://open.spotify.com/user/c&#8203...DTwSzl9CAuFc7d

1. Beach Fossils - What a Pleasure
2. The Dodos - No Color
3. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
4. Cut Copy - Zonoscope
5. Givers - In Light

Maybe it's just me, but it's been a pretty mediocre year in music so far. I struggled to come up with 5 albums I've enjoyed enough to even get to 5 albums. By this time last year the cup was running over with damn good records (at least in indie rock circles). Last year we have The National, Spoon, Vampire Weekend, Los Campesinos!, Local Natives, Surfer Blood... and those are the ones I can think of that I know came out early in the year. There's been nothing even approaching those albums for me.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #220
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Blogged a review of the Black Stone Cherry show, in case anyone is interested
Concert Review 7/21/11 – BSC/Pop Evil/Kyng/Lansdowne | Jon's Three Cents
Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #221
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've been listening to the new albums from Girls Names, Roadside Graves, The Dangerous Summer, Brown Recluse, Crystal Antlers, Shabazz Palaces and Cults. Still enjoying Raphael Saddiq's "Stone Rollin", Wye Oak's "Civilian" and Seapony's "Go With Me"
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #222
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Pre-ordered it last week. Already downloaded in iTunes this morning. Listening now.

It's very, very good.

It's been getting numerous good reviews. Just waiting for the whole lack of job thing to be done with.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #223
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

You know what I've been listening to lately? The 20% of my music collection that was previously unavailable to my Windows Phone 7 device thanks to iTunes bitch-ass DRM.

Thank you, Requiem.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #224
Ksyrup

HOLY CRAP - new Opeth song leaked (or was recorded off the radio and uploaded to YT). I think I just got a chubbie!

If you like 70s prog, check this out. Not a single bit of death metal vocals will be on the album.

http://
Old 07-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #225
Ksyrup

Damn, that got yanked quickly. Good stuff, though.

EDIT

Found another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr1IGSKd4u0

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-26-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #226
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Oh shit yeah.. THIS is the Opeth I want to hear.

I've been listening a lot to the Nirvana "Newermind" covers album released by SPIN magazine and this new band from Seattle I am really excited about hearing more from, Absolute Monarchs.. Also Cunninglyguists new album is outstanding as well.. They continue to be the most underappreciated hip hop group out there, IMO.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 07-26-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #227
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, having now sampled the new Opeth, I'm overwhelmed with one thought

"You are witnessing the birth of Opeth Mark II ... on the bass, Mister Derek Smalls, he wrote this"
Old 07-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #228
QuikSand
lolzcat

I am basically the opposite of the "hey look at my weird musical tastes" guy (though I'm glad he's here), as my deal is basically to wait until something persuades me to buy an album, then I listen to it with full intent of giving it enough spins to really judge what I think. And I am a committed album-listener, too, not a pick-and-choose type.

Anyway, from fairly recent music, I think there are two albums in my general area of tastes that have potential to be regarded as all time greats, and both are on my regular rotation right now.

Avett Brothers - I and Love and You

Excellent artist and a genius producer, album is off the charts good and plenty deep.

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Theme albums are tough to pull off, this one works awfully well.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #229
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What I won't be listening to later this week: Oni Logan singing for Lynch Mob
Sleaze Roxx: Lynch Mob Singer Oni Logan Quits Band, Replacement Singer Has 'Rock Star' Movie Experience

What I might be listening to fairly soon: New Christian rock/metal project featuring Rich Ward (Fozzy, Stuck Mojo) & Frank Fontsere (Fozzy) ... In the same vein as musical groups "Stryper", "Skillet", and "Red"
http://www.walkingwithkings.com/
Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #230
korme
Go Reds

KANYE WEST / JAY-Z
ft. Otis Redding

Really fresh song, no set verses, and no chorus. Just them trading bars back and forth.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #231
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I hate the fact that the Otis Redding part continues on and you get this cross conversation thing going on and it really takes away from the track for me.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #232
kurtism
High School Varsity

Couple notes:

First, the new Fountains of Wayne is 3.99 at Amazon mp3 today (8/2/11).

Second, Spinner has the new FoW streaming, as well as the new Guster EP and the new Wu Tang.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #233
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What I won't be listening to later this week: Oni Logan singing for Lynch Mob
Sleaze Roxx: Lynch Mob Singer Oni Logan Quits Band, Replacement Singer Has 'Rock Star' Movie Experience

That is one poorly written headline and article. I thought it literally meant the new singer sang in the movie Rock Star, so I assumed he was the guy from Steelheart. The article made no sense until I kinda unraveled it all.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #234
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That is one poorly written headline and article. I thought it literally meant the new singer sang in the movie Rock Star, so I assumed he was the guy from Steelheart. The article made no sense until I kinda unraveled it all.

Ditto my confusion ... but that's roughly the same version that ran everywhere I saw it.

And it's compounded by not entirely trusting George's side of the story (although given Logan basically being too drunk to perform & falling down/off stage late last year during a short stint on the road, I suppose there's some credibility there).
Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #235
Ksyrup

New Ben Folds Five track (1 of 3) released by Ben for a career retrospective coming out in October. First new songs from BFF since '99.

The Sing-Off | NBC Official Site: Ben Folds Profile & Bio
Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #236
WSR
Mascot

I'm digging on the Band of Skulls album
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #237
WSR
Mascot

Another one:

Old 08-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #238
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Now I know country isn't a big favorite around the FOFC, hell I listen to very little of it myself these days, but this is a special case afaic.

From left to right, that's Jason Aldean (Macon, GA), Colt Ford (Athens, GA) and Brantley Gilbert (Jefferson,GA). The song was written by Ford & Gilbert and eventually taken to #1 by Aldean.

This live version comes from a recent event, organized by Ford, that raised $85,000 for the families of two police officers shot in the line of duty here in Athens earlier this year. One died, the other is still recovering. An unusually large singer/songwriters event - 9 in all - that also included Edwin McCain & Rhett Akins among others.

The way I figure it, if they're willing to donate their time & talent (some of them coming off the road for a night to participate) then the very least I can do is spread the word a little bit. They deserve some hype afaic.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-25-2011 at 06:09 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #239
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tha Carter IV on Monday? Tha Carter IV (Deluxe Edition) by Lil Wayne - Preorder Tha Carter IV (Deluxe Edition) on iTunes

I guess it was inevitable that it would come out, I just figured that he would have released it by now and it seems very random how the release seemed to materialize out of nowhere. I kind of thought he was just going to keep milking people for singles as it seems to be a very profitable means to earn income.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #240
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Genesis of course....Firth of fifth from the album Selling England By the Pound (with Peter Gabriel still singing lead)

And here is a later version with Phil Collins on lead vocal live (albeit without the piano intro and flute solo), it's still a great version.

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:57 AM   #241
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

The Rural Alberta Advantage

johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #242
Ramzavail
College Starter

i was impressed with that.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #243
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

- Menahan Street Band with Charles Bradley covering "Stay Away" by Nirvana. Mind blowingly good cover, better than the original by far.

- Essence, Basically the European version of Ride The Lightning Era Metallica, IMO.

- Timber Timbre - One of the most unique sounding bands I have ever heard. Somewhat Pink Floydish.

- The Morning Benders.

- The Kills

- Malachai

- The Black Angels

- Ravenna Woods

Pardon all the vids, but I figured I'd post these after reading the "Music Sucks" thread, as a reference point.. Not saying everyone should like this, but I find this as my personal evidence that music isn't as bad as MTV and the radio says these days.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 08-29-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #244
Ksyrup

Acoustic version of the new single from Pugwash, one of my favorite British power pop bands no one's ever heard of. They have a distinct McCartney sound, and the lead singer looks kinda like a fat balding version of Paul (maybe he's the original Paul rumored to be dead but incognito):

http://

Old 08-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #245
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This has been a weird music year for me, because I've been listening to a lot of albums that weren't released this year.

But if I had to put a list together right now of 2011 releases that I've been rocking out to, my favorites would look like this:

(in no specific order)
Quote:
Girls Names - Dead To Me
Wye Oak - Civilian
Cults - Cults
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
Crystal Antlers - Two-Way Mirror
The War On Drugs - Slave Ambient
The Dangerous Summer - War Paint
Rapheal Saadiq - Stone Rollin'
Brown Recluse - Evening Tapestry
The Narcoleptic Dancers - Never Sleep
Craft Spells - Idle Labor
The Wilderness of Manitoba - When You Left The Fire
Crystal Stilts - In Love With Oblivion
Trivium - In Waves
Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks - Mirror Traffic
Beady Eye - Different Gear, Still Speeding
Adele - 21
The Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing
Cymbles Eat Guitars - Lenses Alien
The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
Sister Crayon - Bellow
The Wooden Birds - Two Matchsticks
Old 08-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #246
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Jesse Sykes and the Sweethearafter released Marble Son this month.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-31-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #247
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Jack White Collaborates With Insane Clown Posse to Cover Mozart. For Real. | News | Pitchfork
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #248
korme
Go Reds

FOSTER THE PEOPLE
HELENA BEAT

Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #249
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Love that album, Korme.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #250
korme
Go Reds

Felt a little awkward today with this jamming out of my stereo at a redlight... no big deal, this is a top 5 CD rotation for me right now, no shame!

ADELE
SET FIRE TO THE RAIN