Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #201
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I thought Fisher's extension was agreed upon after week 4 or something and they held news back. It does make some sense that the Rams wanted some protection just in case a miraculous turnaround happened and they didn't want to have to go 5 years after the season was over or something.

With the relationship between his agent and the rams vp/coo I don't think there was any need for protection. Fisher wasn't going anywhere. I agree with Albion that it's probably a golden parachute type of deal.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #202
Thomkal
Head Coach

Jim Harbaugh to coach Rams? Insane rumor is ‘very real thing’

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...%99/ar-AAlqEC0

Last edited by Thomkal : 12-12-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #203
Atocep
Coordinator

Yeah I don't see Harbaugh leaving Michigan any time soon.

I think McDaniels or Shanahan makes sense. They need a QB guy to come in and work with Goff.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #204
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Obviously the Rams situation has changed, but I still don't think the Browns are going to be good any time soon. They don't have a QB and there's not one worthy of a top pick next year. Couple of young receivers that might be OK, pretty awful line that somehow sucks despite having the best LT in the game. Few playmakers on D and they probably add Garrett. Just don't see a massively promising turnaround in the cards just yet

It's not happening soon, but I think their situation is better than the 49ers right now. They have the picks to help improve quickly and it's not like SF is set at QB.

With the 49ers firing their GM and Chip Kelly's fate in the hands of someone that didn't hiring they could very well end up starting from scratch again. I know it's never smart to bet on the Browns, but I see a slightly better situation there.

The Rams with Fisher weren't going to win. How that guy rode a Super Bowl trip that long I don't know. I'd bet on anyone over a Jeff Fisher coached team.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #205
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Yeah I don't see Harbaugh leaving Michigan any time soon.

I think McDaniels or Shanahan makes sense. They need a QB guy to come in and work with Goff.

Me either, but I didn't seem then firing Fisher after just giving him an extension either
Old 12-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #206
Suicane75
Coordinator

I don't want the Rams to fire Fisher. In fact, I want them to offer a 4yr 70m contract to Kenny Britt.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #207
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You don;t need a HC who can work with Goff. We've seen the major "Hire a HC who can be a QB whisperer" fail too many times recently. The HC is wearing too many hats to iinvest that mcuh time with one player. Hire a great Oc or position coach who can do that instead - that's my prefrence

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #208
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Great news for the Dolphins. Tannehill just has an MCL sprain, not a tear. He could potentially be back if they make the playoffs.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #209
Thomkal
Head Coach

that's great news. Campbell is one of my favorite Cardinals, but not when he does stuff like this
Old 12-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #210
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I feel like we're going to see the Pats go to a 5 wide set with 0 WR at some point tonight.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #211
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
wow, what a cheap shot by that Titan.

That was one of the dirtier plays you will ever see in a football game. Do it to Talib because he cheap shotted you? OK, I don't like it, but I see why you are doing it. Harris is pure class. There was simply no need for that.

The sad thing is I'm kind of a Titans fan. Mariotta has been one of my favorite players since his college days, love Woodyard from his Broncos days and like the up and coming team. You don't need to do that though. You just don't. I don't cheer for guys to get hurt, but I made an exception for Talib after his garbage last year and I'll make one for Douglas. Wouldn't shed a tear if his knee went to ribbons next week.

Denver may not make the playoffs. Tough schedule and the offensive line is just bad.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #212
Suicane75
Coordinator

Fisher fired. Finally. Fantastic!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #213
Suicane75
Coordinator

Do the Ravens know that you're allowed to run the football?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #214
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Someone fire Jones.

Preferably out of a nuclear cannon.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #215
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

are you fucking kidding me?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #216
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wow, my brain says I have to cheer for the Pats tonight, but my hatred of them is so strong I find myself cheering for the Ravens. I should just go to bed. This isn't doing me any good.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #217
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Apparently the way you beat the Pats is by kicking the ball directly to them.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #218
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Considering the Pats gave the Ravens 14 points on consecutive special teams Fuckups (seriously, if Cyrus Jones sees the field on a punt return ever again, it will be too soon), really pleased with how things turned out defensively.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:07 AM   #219
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh good God, please no.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:11 AM   #220
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Fisher fired. Finally. Fantastic!

Thank freakin' God. One can only hope he will never walk an NFL sideline again (or certainly not as a HC).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:17 AM   #221
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
When your agent's son is COO...

I've heard that used as some reason for keeping Fisher around but I don't buy it. Maybe the media reporting on the relationship so much has influenced the need to diffuse that, but ultimately that guy (the COO) has a job to do, and he can't be screwing around because his father has an interest in Fisher's contract.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #222
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I've heard that used as some reason for keeping Fisher around but I don't buy it. Maybe the media reporting on the relationship so much has influenced the need to diffuse that, but ultimately that guy (the COO) has a job to do, and he can't be screwing around because his father has an interest in Fisher's contract.

Normally I'd agree but it's really hard to explain why a coach in today's NFL would be given 5 seasons while compiling a 31-45-1 record and never winning more than 7 games. It's not like they were overachieving during that time or that Fisher has a history of success that warrants that type of patience.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #223
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Normally I'd agree but it's really hard to explain why a coach in today's NFL would be given 5 seasons while compiling a 31-45-1 record and never winning more than 7 games. It's not like they were overachieving during that time or that Fisher has a history of success that warrants that type of patience.

He went to the Super Bowl once as a coach and won one as a player. Yes it is that stupid but it is likely the reason.

Last edited by panerd : 12-13-2016 at 08:57 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #224
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Kroenke wanted to move the team for awhile. Fisher was part of the move from Houston to Tennessee. His knowledge in helping with the transition, along with the six 10 win seasons he had in Hou/Ten gave him more rope than usual.

He finally started losing so badly they couldn't justify it any longer. I don't care what style of coach they hire, they need a new offensive philosophy. They are just pitiful. They have found a way to turn Todd Gurley into Sammy Winder. I never thought that would be possible.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #225
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Gurley seems like a guy that can maximize the value of a good o-line with his speed to and through the hole. But he cannot make his own yards. When I've seen him this season (which hasn't been often, I admit), he just runs full speed into the ass of the closest guard.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #226
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Fisher seems like a real company man. A guy who makes ownership and management feel comfortable with him. There's value to that. As fans, we see nothing but wins and losses. But I can see how an owner would value a guy who just . . . understands the burdens of owning an NFL team and how to help an owner through that.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #227
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Me either, but I didn't seem then firing Fisher after just giving him an extension either

Much as I'd love to see Harbaugh leave, I think that was just OSU mouthpiece Breer trying to stir up stuff with Michigan.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #228
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

It was 'magic'!

Jack Del Rio blames magic for strange Derek Carr pass - NFL.com
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #229
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Bruce Arians blamed God for the Cardinals loss:

Quote:
Wide receiver J.J. Nelson compared it to playing in a “monsoon” and quarterback Carson Palmer said “it just started turning on and staying on” when they got the ball before stopping when Miami would take possession. Coach Bruce Arians noted the same thing.

“We practiced with a wet ball on Wednesday and didn’t have any problems,” Arians said, via the Associated Press. “But when it continually pours when you have the ball, which was kind of odd, it’s tough.”
Bruce Arians: “Kind of odd” it poured whenever we had ball | ProFootballTalk
Old 12-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #230
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Kroenke wanted to move the team for awhile. Fisher was part of the move from Houston to Tennessee. His knowledge in helping with the transition, along with the six 10 win seasons he had in Hou/Ten gave him more rope than usual.

He finally started losing so badly they couldn't justify it any longer. I don't care what style of coach they hire, they need a new offensive philosophy. They are just pitiful. They have found a way to turn Todd Gurley into Sammy Winder. I never thought that would be possible.

Yep agree with this.

In addition, Fisher is respected around the league. At least defensively he is, and until lately his teams usually were competitive and in almost every game. And the argument can be made that his teams have lacked QB talent dating back to Steve McNair...so that makes his "close losses" seem like they could have been wins with a "real QB".

Couple that with the (now large market) media pounding over Dickerson, blowouts, and why the hell he is still around despite not winning....and thats all she wrote.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #231
Galaril
Pro Starter

Fisher had McNair who was a very solid QB, a very good running back and a great defense . But he never could win the big one. He got as close as possible in 2000 coming up a yard short. I think he would have been a reat college coach but in the NFL .....

Last edited by Galaril : 12-13-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #232
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seattle Seahawks CB Richard Sherman blasts NFL for Thursday games
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #233
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Kind of dumb for him to blast them on this when there's already been leaks the past few weeks that the NFL is considering ending Thursday night games after this season.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #234
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh, i only really linked them to it cause he was calling thursday night games "poopfests"
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #235
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Kind of dumb for him to blast them on this when there's already been leaks the past few weeks that the NFL is considering ending Thursday night games after this season.

Wouldn't that make this the perfect time? Keep reminding them that nearly everyone hates it moves from being considered to being changed.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #236
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Well, that is kinda of his trademark.

A real DIAF posterchild.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #237
cuervo72
Head Coach

Related to Thursday games (and morning games, and byes) -- I don't know how much of this is dropping Sunday Ticket (and going from having access to EVERYTHING), but the Sunday early slot at used to feel like a ton was going on. Now, not as much. Maybe it's just a nature of information being available everywhere else, but a typical broadcast seems to be more on its own island now. Fewer cut-ins and updates from other games. Less league-wide action. Just you, your game, and commercials.

I don't know, maybe I just bore easily in my middle age.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-14-2016 at 02:23 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #238
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Related to Thursday games (and morning games, and byes) -- I don't know how much of this is dropping Sunday Ticket (and going from having access to EVERYTHING), but the Sunday early slot at used to feel like a ton was going on. Now, not as much. Maybe it's just a nature of information being available everywhere else, but a typical broadcast seems to be more on its own island now. Fewer cut-ins and updates from other games. Less league-wide action. Just you, your game, and commercials.

I don't know, maybe I just bore easily in my middle age.
I really think RedZone was a huge long-term mistake (not that I foresaw it). I'm so used to watching constant action that I won't watch non-Patriots games without multitasking.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #239
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I really think RedZone was a huge long-term mistake (not that I foresaw it). I'm so used to watching constant action that I won't watch non-Patriots games without multitasking.

Yeah, I can feel my attention span dying when they "bring in the octo-box" (displaying 8 different games onscreen) on RedZone. I can't process any of it, and Scott Hanson's yammering like he's made of cocaine, but: no ads, so it's still vastly preferable to any other kind of live football watching.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #240
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

For me, Redzone is only on when I'm not watching the Bengals. I can appraciate the slow agonizing death of watching a Bengals game, but when other teams are playing I like to jump around the league as much as possible and Redzone is awesome for that. I love it this way.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #241
Ned Doolittle
Banned

Fantasy football and to a lesser extent RedZone (the one yr I had it) killed NFL for me. I'm too much of a fantasy football fanatic that the actual games and outcomes mean literally nothing to me. I'm a Giants "fan" but would openly root for them to lose if it meant me getting extra points for my fantasy team where I stand to win big money. The Giants don't give me anything win or lose so I gradually lost interest in rooting hard for any one team.
Ned Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #242
Suicane75
Coordinator

The networks themselves turned it into short attention span theater a long time ago. I remember as a kid, at the half of early games, or before the late games, studio shows would break down a game and show most if not all of the scoring plays and lead you through each game on the docket. Now whoever the commentators are (I remember it starting with Bradshaw back in the late 90's/early 2000's) just motor mouths through some stats, they show you one highlight from each game, put up the score, and move on.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #243
Bobble
College Prospect

The Rams vs. eleven glow sticks.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #244
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Apparently the Sounders now play football.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #245
cuervo72
Head Coach

I liked the previous incarnation of their green jerseys, the ones off the old template and with the white numbers. These are hideous. Very much yellow-green highlighter rather than a more lime shade.

As for the Rams -- white horns are good. Same ugly numbers and gold trim are bad.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #246
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I liked the previous incarnation of their green jerseys, the ones off the old template and with the white numbers. These are hideous. Very much yellow-green highlighter rather than a more lime shade.

As for the Rams -- white horns are good. Same ugly numbers and gold trim are bad.

They wouldn't be so bad if they were wearing grey, white, navy blue pants. The color rush gimmick is just overkill tho.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #247
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
The Rams vs. eleven glow sticks.

LOL.. I just posted this on another forum!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #248
frnk55
High School Varsity

This color shit is really stupid. It needs to stop.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #249
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
This color shit is really stupid. It needs to stop.

+999999999999999999999999
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:24 PM   #250
General Mike
Pro Starter

Was Bosworth good in Tecmo Bowl? The 87 version i mean.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote