Here is a good FAQ of Civ V on Steam:

FAQ Steam pour Civ 5 | Civilization
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #202
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
They have it posted that there will be a a free double civ with special units/buildings DLC later in 2010 that will be free.

Ok my mistake so if you buy the game from Direct to Download you get the two free civs and scenarios when released later in 2010 plus Civ III. So, I think this is the best deal. The two civs to be released Firaxis already said neither will be Babylon. They will all be available probably in a year or so later in some kind of 5 civ pack at something like 15-20 bucks I guess.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #203
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
No you won't need a "third party" but regardless you need steam like others have said so you might as well have steam update it all for you. I was leaning to buying a physical copy since I like to have hard copies in case. is there any good deals for the special edition? Did you buy the physical copy and from were Buc?

I looked at yesterday's ads and Best Buy and Walmart have it for $99. I assume GameStop will also. But I'm going to have to wait till I get paid, that would be the most I have ever paid for a game.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #204
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok my mistake so if you buy the game from Direct to Download you get the two free civs and scenarios when released later in 2010 plus Civ III. So, I think this is the best deal. The two civs to be released Firaxis already said neither will be Babylon. They will all be available probably in a year or so later in some kind of 5 civ pack at something like 15-20 bucks I guess.

If you are talking about the deal I mentioned in page 1 of this thread, it is direct2drive not direct to download.

Just make sure you order the deluxe edition for $10 more, I don't think that deal is true for the cheaper standard version from direct2drive.

The deal I posted about previously is no longer good for the additional $10 off, so if you didn't do it when I mentioned it you miss out on that unfortunately, but it still seems like the best deal to me.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #205
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
If you are talking about the deal I mentioned in page 1 of this thread, it is direct2drive not direct to download.

Just make sure you order the deluxe edition for $10 more, I don't think that deal is true for the cheaper standard version from direct2drive.

The deal I posted about previously is no longer good for the additional $10 off, so if you didn't do it when I mentioned it you miss out on that unfortunately, but it still seems like the best deal to me.

Thanks yes I meant direct2drive. I am not sure about before but for $49.95 you get the game (not deluxe) and the double civ DLC for free later on when relased alter in 2010. If other want those they will have to pay extra for tha t DLC.
http://www.direct2drive.com/9611/pro...ion-V-Download
Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #206
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks yes I meant direct2drive. I am not sure about before but for $49.95 you get the game (not deluxe) and the double civ DLC for free later on when relased alter in 2010. If other want those they will have to pay extra for tha t DLC.
http://www.direct2drive.com/9611/pro...ion-V-Download

Ahh my mistake on that. the deluxe version also has the Babylon DLC as well. I got confused on the prices since I got the deluxe for $49.99

Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #207
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Ahh my mistake on that. the deluxe version also has the Babylon DLC as well. I got confused on the prices since I got the deluxe for $49.99

Easy to get confused with all the different options.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #208
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

The game unlocks in about 18 hours. I hope I can last that long.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #209
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
The game unlocks in about 18 hours. I hope I can last that long.

Ummm, what do you mean, "last"?

Last edited by molson : 09-20-2010 at 03:35 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #210
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

A co-worker is taking off just to play this game, bastard!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #211
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

So is the Steam $60 edition is what the majority of you buying?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #212
Sporkimata
High School JV

I just bought the standard. I figure I will give it a little bit and just get the same things down the road in dlc or expansion.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #213
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkimata View Post
I just bought the standard. I figure I will give it a little bit and just get the same things down the road in dlc or expansion.

+1

I have no doubt that the first expansion will include all the extras. There's more than enough to keep me busy with the standard version until that comes out.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #214
Flasch186
Coordinator

+2 but im self employed... ahem

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #215
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am tied up in conference calls until 12 noon ET tomorrow. I secretly hope they run late in releasing the game until at least 9am PST just so the rest of you have to suffer along side of me!!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #216
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Wife surprised me for my Bday by ordering it through Amazon. Getting release day delivery so it should be here when I get off work. So, I'm thinking mental health day on Wednesday.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #217
Celeval
Pro Starter

Very busy week for us, so we're holding off buying it... but the demo comes out.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #218
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Uhm, losers.

Not only am I going to be sitting here ready to activate and play right away (downloading the deluxe Steam version right now), I will also be staying up most of the night playing Civ IV. Oh, didn't work today either, probably won't the rest of the week except for soccer/coaching stuff. I'm pretty happy with life this week. Just missing some sex and it would be perfect, but that's a whole different thread.....
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #219
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Mine is coming via free shipping from Amazon.. I'll have plenty of time to read impressions and hints and tips from you guys!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #220
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
downloading the deluxe Steam version right now

No wonder my download is going slow.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #221
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
From the manual - I do think you will be able to get multiple units of the resources though - like a mine may produce 3 or 4 iron. I hope so anyway.

Strategic resources allow you to build certain units and buildings. When you construct an
improvement on a strategic resource hex, it provides you with a limited number of those
resources, and these are consumed when you construct the associated units or buildings. For
example, you use one iron resource to build each Swordsman unit. If you don’t have any iron
available, you can’t construct the Swordsman. The resource becomes available to you once
more if the unit or building is destroyed.

From what I've heard 1 Iron Hex will get you 5 swordsman, 1 horse will get you 5 mounted units, ect. No idea how accurate this is though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #222
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
No wonder my download is going slow.

No, it can't be my fault. My AT&T DSL is hardly above 56K dial up modem speeds. This thing will take a good 6 hours for me to download I think. It says it's got 3.5 hrs left, but I bet it takes another 5. I hate my internet, no real options though until Sprint brings 4G or another wireless brings LTE to our area, so within a couple years I hope then I have decent internet. I ramble tonight....
Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #223
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

OK. I finally pulled the trigger on the Deluxe Deal from Direct2Drive. I used the Promo Code "PAX" to get $5 off. Although I was charged $3.85 tax, I'm still ahead of the game. The D2D deal gives me:
1. Bonus Babylon Civilization
2. FREE Premium DLC (Get the first Double Civilization and Scenario Pack for FREE when available "*Availability currently set to late 2010. Date subject to change.")
3. Game Soundtrack
4. Behind the Scenes (don't care about this one so much).

I got Activation Code with my order. I logged into Steam, selected tab, Selected "Activate A Product on Steam", and voila, my preorder is already downloading! 48% done

I ultimately decided having an extra Civ (+ first DLC free) was more important to me than extra Map Pack (I've read that it is not really a "pack" of maps, but just one).

Can't wait!

Last edited by tyketime : 09-20-2010 at 09:44 PM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #224
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

dola - Just looked on Steam site. 120 Achievements have been set up for game.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #225
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
OK. I finally pulled the trigger on the Deluxe Deal from Direct2Drive. I used the Promo Code "PAX" to get $5 off. Although I was charged $3.85 tax, I'm still ahead of the game. The D2D deal gives me:
1. Bonus Babylon Civilization
2. FREE Premium DLC (Get the first Double Civilization and Scenario Pack for FREE when available "*Availability currently set to late 2010. Date subject to change.")
3. Game Soundtrack
4. Behind the Scenes (don't care about this one so much).

I got Activation Code with my order. I logged into Steam, selected tab, Selected "Activate A Product on Steam", and voila, my preorder is already downloading! 48% done

I ultimately decided having an extra Civ (+ first DLC free) was more important to me than extra Map Pack (I've read that it is not really a "pack" of maps, but just one).

Can't wait!

So I bought the regular game download and also get the FREE Premium DLC (Get the first Double Civilization and Scenario Pack for FREE when available "*Availability currently set to late 2010. Date subject to change.") and the Civ 3 game (don't care about that). The only difference with the deluxe steam verison is the soundtrack, making of dvd and the Babylonians. So I am happy I saved myself $5 bucks but did not get babylonians.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #226
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
From what I've heard 1 Iron Hex will get you 5 swordsman, 1 horse will get you 5 mounted units, ect. No idea how accurate this is though.

There appear to be a number of units that don't require iron. The strategy guide didn't mention anything I could find about how many units were supportable with each iron hex, though.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #227
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So I bought the regular game download and also get the FREE Premium DLC (Get the first Double Civilization and Scenario Pack for FREE when available "*Availability currently set to late 2010. Date subject to change.") and the Civ 3 game (don't care about that). The only difference with the deluxe steam verison is the soundtrack, making of dvd and the Babylonians. So I am happy I saved myself $5 bucks but did not get babylonians.

Good Point. The D2D pre-order comes with Free Premium DLC either way. I used the PAX Promo Code to talk myself into the Deluxe version. Pre-Load is complete and ready for unlocking!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #228
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Everything that I have read assume that it is a 1-to-1 relationship between unit/building and resource, for those that requires it. They purposely limited the amount of resources and made key units (like Swords) requiring an iron for each built so we (and the AI) would have far fewer units to go to war with. Goes hand in hand with 1upt. However, an iron luxury(?) resource (for example) could mean more than 1 iron resource, partly depending on bonuses. In the Firaxis walkthrough, there was one iron hex that had 5 iron resources (how, I don't know). This also forces some decision-making that we didn't have in Civ4, esp. in later stages. For example (perhaps hypothetically), a Hydro Plant requires 1 Aluminum to build. Do we use that 1 Aluminum for a plant or for a SS part? One more thing about resources. If you have 5 iron resources supporting 5 Swords (or 2 Oil supporting 2 Tanks) and you lose the iron (or oil), your unit will not disappear, they simply operate at 50% strength.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #229
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Everything that I have read assume that it is a 1-to-1 relationship between unit/building and resource, for those that requires it. They purposely limited the amount of resources and made key units (like Swords) requiring an iron for each built so we (and the AI) would have far fewer units to go to war with. Goes hand in hand with 1upt. However, an iron luxury(?) resource (for example) could mean more than 1 iron resource, partly depending on bonuses. In the Firaxis walkthrough, there was one iron hex that had 5 iron resources (how, I don't know). This also forces some decision-making that we didn't have in Civ4, esp. in later stages. For example (perhaps hypothetically), a Hydro Plant requires 1 Aluminum to build. Do we use that 1 Aluminum for a plant or for a SS part? One more thing about resources. If you have 5 iron resources supporting 5 Swords (or 2 Oil supporting 2 Tanks) and you lose the iron (or oil), your unit will not disappear, they simply operate at 50% strength.

the 50% strength thing I read was if you're at -10 in terms of units in the field to units of the resource.

My question is, if you lose a unit, do you get the corresponding resource back for another unit?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #230
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Good Point. The D2D pre-order comes with Free Premium DLC either way. I used the PAX Promo Code to talk myself into the Deluxe version. Pre-Load is complete and ready for unlocking!

I was wondering where do you even enter promo codes on steam I have never seen an option to enter them at checkout that I remember?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #231
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I was wondering where do you even enter promo codes on steam I have never seen an option to enter them at checkout that I remember?

Sorry, not sure. The promo code I mentioned was just for the Direct2Drive website pre-order.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #232
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
My question is, if you lose a unit, do you get the corresponding resource back for another unit?

Yes, I believe so.

One more thing.
If you lose an oil and then your tank is defeated, then you would either have to 1) find/capture/recapture an oil resource or 2) barter for that resource from a friendly civ or city-state (if you want to build a replacement tank). This is one of the keys things I am looking forward to in Civ5 - the greater importance of resources. In Civ4, you (and everyone else) got too many of everything, eliminating the need to fight for or barter for resources.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 09-20-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #233
Buccaneer
Head Coach

From Dale:

Quote:
'Twas the night before Civ5, when all through the house
Not a computer was stirring, not even a Logitech mouse;
The pre-order was DL'ed and Steam is on,
In hopes that Firaxis soon would turn it on;
While visions of nukes danced through their heads;
And wives disappear with books in their beds,
Have settled down for a long Fall's nap,

When on the forums there arose such a clatter,
I sprang to the screen to see what was the matter.
To Steam's friendly icon I flew in a flash,
Double-clicked the icon and threw up my game stash.
The game on the breast of Catherine of Russia
Gave lustre to the message on the game with blusher,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a new little message, and a loud sound I could hear,
With a little new message, "Ready to Play",
I knew in a moment the arrival of Civ5 Day.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #234
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Umm I hate to tell you this but I am pretty sure you will not be getting the Babylonia civ since it is an exclusive offer from buying the game from steam direct.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #235
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Umm I hate to tell you this but I am pretty sure you will not be getting the Babylonia civ since it is an exclusive offer from buying the game from steam direct.

No... the Digital Deluxe Edition includes Babylon. The Steam prepurchase is the Mesopotamia Map Pack, I think.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #236
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
No... the Digital Deluxe Edition includes Babylon. The Steam prepurchase is the Mesopotamia Map Pack, I think.

Yup I it backwards. Geez this is fucking mess all these different exclusive DLC.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #237
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I really wish I didn"t have to work tomorrow - oh well.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #238
Flasch186
Coordinator

it pisses me off that this isnt available when I woke up.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #239
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
it pisses me off that this isnt available when I woke up.

I know I clicked on my desktop shortcut just hoping it would launch...
Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #240
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

What pisses me off is I can not even open Steam right now. Was open as it downloaded, had to close it for a minute and when I went back to open it up to finish downloading it won't open at all. Go to their boards and all I see is "you have to open the right ports" because gee they go from being open to closed for no reason? Did it anyways and no go.....
Old 09-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #241
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
What pisses me off is I can not even open Steam right now. Was open as it downloaded, had to close it for a minute and when I went back to open it up to finish downloading it won't open at all. Go to their boards and all I see is "you have to open the right ports" because gee they go from being open to closed for no reason? Did it anyways and no go.....

Hmm, I had not logged on to Steam for a week or so, and so it updated the Steam Client itself and then asked me to restart Steam. Other than that, I've had no trouble getting on. Just tried again, and still works for me.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #242
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Hmm, I had not logged on to Steam for a week or so, and so it updated the Steam Client itself and then asked me to restart Steam. Other than that, I've had no trouble getting on. Just tried again, and still works for me.

Likewise. No issues connecting to Steam. It just still keeps saying "Pre-load?" even though I did that upon my return from Wal-Mart last night.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #243
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Doesn't matter to me when it comes out today 'cause I wont be able to fire it up until tonight BUT why wasn't it released at midnight? Why wait until 10:00 to release the game?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #244
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Probably so the retail stores (BB, obvs) don't lose sales from impatient fans wanting to play the game at midnight and just downloading it and playing immediately rather than heading to the store in the morning.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-21-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #245
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Got it going. I reinstalled/repaired Steam and that seams to have done the trick. Too bad I lost over an hour of download time with a piss poor internet. The upside is it is going a little fast now anyways.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #246
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Probably so the retail stores (BB, obvs) don't lose sales from impatient fans wanting to play the game at midnight and just downloading it and playing immediately rather than heading to the store in the morning.

While I was looking on the Steam boards I saw a post from a guy pissed off because he didn't know about the Steamworks connection for the game, went to Walmart at 1 AM and bought the game to find out he couldn't play it yet. I didn't know about it until yesterday myself so I kind of see how that happened to him.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #247
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I guess that makes since... still pretty lame though

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #248
SackAttack
Head Coach

As opposed to impatient fans who get it off of Steam so they don't lose a minute of playtime and don't bother even going *in* to the store? I'm not sure that one got thought through all the way.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #249
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

"This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour."

Tee-hee-hee.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #250
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

One hour from now? Is that so the BB purchasers can get home and download it to their computers?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote