Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #201
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
That's what I mean about accuracy Bishop. Too many people view accuracy as completion percentage. Yeah, Brady is down this year in that, but it isn't what I'm talking about with accuracy.

If anyone remembers the first game of the year, I made a comment about how Flacco turned a 70 yard TD into a 12 yard first down with a poor pass. The metrics made the throw look good. 3rd and 8, 12 yard gain, yippeee, he's terrific. The throw was horrible. It took 7 points off the board.

I see Brady doing the same thing. Obviously, some of this is being out of sync with new guys. But some of it is just lost accuracy. The famous "drop" by Welker in the Super Bowl. It was a drop, it was also a horrific throw to a wide open WR. Brady seems to make a lot of those types of throws now. Guys don't get hit in stride, they reach back, they fall to their knees. . . the throws are a hair off target.

He's smart enough to know where he's supposed to go and his arm can't get it there with zip or accuracy anymore. (that duck of an INT yesterday was a horrible throw in a crucial situation)

I agree completely. It's actually why I was so down on Sam Bradford years ago and everyone disagreed with me and said he just needed better talent around him. Peyton and Rodgers are the best in the league at leading receivers into space and letting them do their thing.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #202
TroyF
Coordinator

One other thing I wanted to mention this week was the Eagles offense. After week 1, everyone was talking about a juggernaut. Then they lose a couple of games and they don't score a ton against the Chiefs and everyone starts laughing at how Kelly's offense has no chance to work in the NFL.

I dunno. All I see is a team that racks up over 400 yards a game and can do it multiple ways. I look at the KC game and see a team that lit up a good defense for well over 400 yards, but had 5 turnovers, including a pic 6.

We'll see how they do after NFL teams get to look at the offense for a year, but for my money I think these guys are pretty dangerous and are only going to get better over the next few years.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #203
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One other thing I wanted to mention this week was the Eagles offense. After week 1, everyone was talking about a juggernaut. Then they lose a couple of games and they don't score a ton against the Chiefs and everyone starts laughing at how Kelly's offense has no chance to work in the NFL.

I dunno. All I see is a team that racks up over 400 yards a game and can do it multiple ways. I look at the KC game and see a team that lit up a good defense for well over 400 yards, but had 5 turnovers, including a pic 6.

We'll see how they do after NFL teams get to look at the offense for a year, but for my money I think these guys are pretty dangerous and are only going to get better over the next few years.

It's a sign of a good offense that it runs well whether the QB is a runner like Vick or a pocket passer like Foles.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #204
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The famous "drop" by Welker in the Super Bowl. It was a drop, it was also a horrific throw to a wide open WR.

I can't put into words how much I disagree with this statement. That horrible drop lead into the next couple years of hilarity, about twice every single game the announcers say "Well you don't see that often" as Welker let yet another bounce off his chest.

It was like a drinking game, every time the announcers say Welker doesn't drop a pass very often, take a drink. Just make sure you aren't driving.

And no these aren't sour grapes with me, everyone who knows me heard me saying this exact rant starting with that superbowl drop.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-14-2013 at 05:33 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #205
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He doesn't throw a good deep ball anymore. Still a great QB, just not where he was. Everyone is too caught up in blaming his wide receivers to notice he misses a lot of throws.

Would agree with that. With all the praise Brady is getting today, it gets overlooked he threw a bad pick just before that should have cost them the game had the Saints had any balls at all to run their offense. PTI pointed this out tonight. But as Brees said post game, you can't give Brady that many chances. Heck, would have expected Brees to win it had the roles been reversed.

In a side note, great to see Austin Collie out there yesterday. I have such mixed feelings about all these ex-Colts. Collie in NE, Clark doing well in Baltimore. It makes it hard to really hate these teams now.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #206
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Dola - love the ESPN promo for the game tonight.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #207
Jas_lov
College Starter

And Cobb is out 6-8 weeks thanks to that cheap shot hit. At least it's not for the whole season. James Jones looks to be in much better shape and could play this weekend, although they could beat the Browns with a couple of tree stumps playing WR. Finley will need to step up, not drop balls and be that 3rd playmaker.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #208
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
And Cobb is out 6-8 weeks thanks to that cheap shot hit. At least it's not for the whole season. James Jones looks to be in much better shape and could play this weekend, although they could beat the Browns with a couple of tree stumps playing WR. Finley will need to step up, not drop balls and be that 3rd playmaker.

He caught the ball with no intention to protect himself. Two years ago he gets blown up so hard he probably leaves on a stretcher.

The NFL needs to figure this out. They tell the guys to go low, now they start to go low and we get legs blown out.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #209
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
And Cobb is out 6-8 weeks thanks to that cheap shot hit.

Was that really a cheap with intent to injure or just a poor tackle?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #210
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
He caught the ball with no intention to protect himself. Two years ago he gets blown up so hard he probably leaves on a stretcher.

The NFL needs to figure this out. They tell the guys to go low, now they start to go low and we get legs blown out.

Couldn't the guy have easily hit him at the waist and wrapped up? It looked like a pretty clear dive at the knee, which was totally unnecessary.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #211
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I can't put into words how much I disagree with this statement. That horrible drop lead into the next couple years of hilarity, about twice every single game the announcers say "Well you don't see that often" as Welker let yet another bounce off his chest.

It was like a drinking game, every time the announcers say Welker doesn't drop a pass very often, take a drink. Just make sure you aren't driving.

And no these aren't sour grapes with me, everyone who knows me heard me saying this exact rant starting with that superbowl drop.

The pass was high AND behind him, it was terrible. He should have made the catch, but that was a horrific throw

As for the drinking game? Kind of hard to get drunk on one drop a week don't you think? Yeah, he dropped 15 balls last year out of 136 catchable balls. Megatron dropped 14 on 133.

His catch rate (catches divided by targets) was 11th in the league for WR last year. Some of the WR ahead of him on that list are named Jason Avant, Brandon Stokely, and Mario Manningham. (you Patriots could have had all of them if they wanted) In 2011 he was 3rd in catch rate by WR. The year before that he was 5th.

I mean, it must have been horrible to cheer for someone who sucked that bad. How did Brady ever complete a pass? I'm sure every one of the 112 passes Welker caught last year were right on his hands and he didn't make any adjustment to snag any of them.

I hope I am not forced to suffer from this guy for a few years. What torture.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #212
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

"I call this the amoeba defense, you don't know what it is" - Gurden on the Chargers.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #214
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That was a lousy play call by the Colts for a 3rd and 1.

Yeah, I'm not getting these weird left side roll outs.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #215
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Yeah, I'm not getting these weird left side roll outs.

It's like me playing Madden. Took me most of the first season to get used to having Vick as QB and to stop rolling right. Now I have a right handed QB and the first few games I found myself rolling left into poor plays.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #216
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Just a sloppy game for the Colts so far. Bad penalties. Bad plays. Dropped passes. I swear the hotel in San Diego the Colts stay in must poison the food or something.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #217
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

98%of the betting money on this game went the Colts way. Chargers should win easily.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #218
ColtCrazy
College Starter

As bad as the Colts looked and as easily as the Chargers moved the ball, I'm just thankful it's only 10-6.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #219
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Why are the Colts punting on the Charger 40? What a blah performance.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #220
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Charger fans still have to be terrified of it only being a 7 point lead and Luck being on the other side.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #221
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Charger fans still have to be terrified of it only being a 7 point lead and Luck being on the other side.

Not if the Colts keep dropping passes. Ugh. Chargers deserve this win.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #222
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Couldn't the guy have easily hit him at the waist and wrapped up? It looked like a pretty clear dive at the knee, which was totally unnecessary.

IDK? I played football, not at this level, but I did. I don't think I could make the judgement call on exactly where to hit a guy on a split second with anywhere near 100% accuracy. If they told me I couldn't hit the head I would just go low, most likely for the waist. Sometimes I would probably miss. If the guy wanted to be dirty we would have blown Cobb completely up. Cobb jumped up in the air, stretched completely out, and on the way down decided to run forward instead of protecting himself. A dirty player would of knocked him unconscious.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #223
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
IDK? I played football, not at this level, but I did. I don't think I could make the judgement call on exactly where to hit a guy on a split second with anywhere near 100% accuracy. If they told me I couldn't hit the head I would just go low, most likely for the waist. Sometimes I would probably miss. If the guy wanted to be dirty we would have blown Cobb completely up. Cobb jumped up in the air, stretched completely out, and on the way down decided to run forward instead of protecting himself. A dirty player would of knocked him unconscious.

BINGO

Football has to make a choice. Either they allow Cobb in that situation to be knocked out with a concussion or they deal with the fact the guy can go low and hit him in the legs. As horrible as the leg injury is, it's not very likely to cause Cobb to put a bullet in his chest and donate his brain to science, right?

Of course, it would be nice if the guy could have tackled him right at the waist in the "tackling area" Rodgers is talking about, but reality is different. I do believe that on 95% of the plays, the defender can tackle without going for the head. I do not believe that a player can tackle at a specific point on a guys body 100% of the time. That's insanity.

I also think the NFL refs are doing a fairly subpar job this year on head shots. The last TD for the Saints should have been a 15 yard penalty against NE. The guy was clubbed in the head. Schaub was hit in the head by the Seahawks late in the game a few weeks ago in a call that was missed badly. There are others as well.

I still think college gets it right. Kick them out of the game. Look on replay to see if it was truly targeting and boot them the hell out of the football game when it is.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #224
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
BINGO

Football has to make a choice. Either they allow Cobb in that situation to be knocked out with a concussion or they deal with the fact the guy can go low and hit him in the legs. As horrible as the leg injury is, it's not very likely to cause Cobb to put a bullet in his chest and donate his brain to science, right?

They can also attempt to choose between "tackling" and "hitting" right? Both are legal ways to bring a guy down now, with some distinctions to the latter. But a vast majority of attempted takedowns seem to come from leading with the head/shoulders and little to no arm involvement, which I'd call hitting, versus traditional arm-wrapping tackling.

I have no clue how you put that into a rule book, and of course I might be overstating how much wrap-up tackling actually took place in the past.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #225
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
They can also attempt to choose between "tackling" and "hitting" right? Both are legal ways to bring a guy down now, with some distinctions to the latter. But a vast majority of attempted takedowns seem to come from leading with the head/shoulders and little to no arm involvement, which I'd call hitting, versus traditional arm-wrapping tackling.

I have no clue how you put that into a rule book, and of course I might be overstating how much wrap-up tackling actually took place in the past.

If the rulebook ever says you can't hit somebody then just cancel the sport.

Last edited by Dutch : 10-15-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #226
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
If the rulebook ever says you can't hit somebody then just cancel the sport.

Then the players need to be the ones figuring it out. You have defenders leading with their heads and risking enormous injury if they're off by an inch, and you have offensive players now seeing both potential long term life consequences (exposing their heads) and short term money-earning consequences (having their knees destroyed) every time they touch the ball.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #227
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
With the exception of 2007(hello Moss) Brady has never thrown a good deep ball, ever, people forget that.

He's out of sync and not comfortable with his receivers and has been getting beat up the last 2 games. My armchair QB guess is he's over thinking everything, from where he thinks the receivers will be to where the pressure is coming from.

Moss made him look really good throwing deep that year. It's never been a strength, like you said. His strength is running a timing offense with precision. You mess that up like the Giants and Ravens were so good at, and he's not the best at improvising and has a tendency chuck it too hard when he gets wound up.

I do think there's something wrong with his shoulder or arm they aren't sharing because some passes have just been ducks that defy the age explanation. Similar to Peyton's issues when he was still recovering last season.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #228
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Then the players need to be the ones figuring it out. You have defenders leading with their heads and risking enormous injury if they're off by an inch, and you have offensive players now seeing both potential long term life consequences (exposing their heads) and short term money-earning consequences (having their knees destroyed) every time they touch the ball.

Yup. You can't be suing for concussions while playing like this.

I like the breakdown above - tackling / blocking is fine, but "jacking up" is not. If "jacking up" continues to be allowed, the game will likely die from the lawsuits. And I think the game can be plenty fun, entertaining, and strategic, if defenders are forbidden from launching and leading with the head.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #229
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The onus can't just be on the defense. In the Cobb injury, if Cobb protects himself he probably doesn't get hurt. Instead he attempts to spring forward on the way down and/or land in a way that lets him run after catch. There are plenty of NFL WRs who play at a high level and never get "blown up." They need to teach offensive players to protect themselves just as much as they need to punish defenders for making stupid hits.

I have been saying this for years. Too many WRs put themselves in stupid positions to make plays and end up paying for it with their health. If you are going to go over the middle, the QB needs to know he must make a good throw and the WR needs to know that even if he doesn't see someone, he is going to be hit. Don't worry about the RAC yards. You are going to get hit, get down.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #230
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
The onus can't just be on the defense. In the Cobb injury, if Cobb protects himself he probably doesn't get hurt. Instead he attempts to spring forward on the way down and/or land in a way that lets him run after catch.

I've seen the play a bunch but I just don't follow what you mean by this. How exactly is he "springing forward"?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #231
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've seen the play a bunch but I just don't follow what you mean by this. How exactly is he "springing forward"?

By that I mean he was preparing to run after the catch. I think that is a play that alot of vets catch and drop to the ground. That's what I mean by that. Instead he was looking down field to run after the catch. Springing forward was badly termed by me.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure he wasn't trying to juke that guy, which is just unfathomably stupid in that situation.

Last edited by dubb93 : 10-15-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #232
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
By that I mean he was preparing to run after the catch. I think that is a play that alot of vets catch and drop to the ground. That's what I mean by that. Instead he was looking down field to run after the catch. Springing forward was badly termed by me.

Thanks, I follow you now but did Cobb even jump a foot off the ground? You don't see many guys fail to use their legs to brace themselves unless they're diving/jumping outwardly.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #233
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
BINGO

I also think the NFL refs are doing a fairly subpar job this year on head shots. The last TD for the Saints should have been a 15 yard penalty against NE. The guy was clubbed in the head. Schaub was hit in the head by the Seahawks late in the game a few weeks ago in a call that was missed badly. There are others as well.

I still think college gets it right. Kick them out of the game. Look on replay to see if it was truly targeting and boot them the hell out of the football game when it is.

I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here because I see where you are coming from and I do like the college rule. People are already pissed about the amount of flags in a game, slowing the flow down and interrupting the game. You add this in where you kick a guy out and send it to replay, you are going to see many more stoppages.

I can't stress this point enough...the way you all see the game on your TV is drastically different than how it is viewed on the field. Those collisions that you can watch the replay and complain (not singling out you TroyF but fans in general) "why did they throw the flag when the contact was clearly not helmet to helmet" happen in a split second and sometimes so fast you can't even comprehend what you saw. So the verbage is added to the rule "When in doubt and it's a safety foul, throw the flag."

Can you imagine the spike in flags in the NFL if the college rule was implemented? Heck if I am an official and on the fence, I'll throw the flag everytime knowing that replay will fix it if I am wrong.

Now I think that a harsh penalty in the NFL like college will eventually deter the players from taking head shots, but are the "fans" willing to go through the period where the games will be painfully slow?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #234
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
EDIT: I'm not 100% sure he wasn't trying to juke that guy, which is just unfathomably stupid in that situation.

Ok now you lost me. Go back and watch it, starting and stopping. Elam has begun going low before the ball has reached Cobb's hands.

Last edited by Logan : 10-15-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #235
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ok now you lost me. Go back and watch it, starting and stopping. Elam has begun going low before the ball has reached Cobb's hands.

I was watching a slow mo version on YouTube where it looks like after the catch Cobb turns his head upfield for split second and hesitates. In full speed it's a bang bang play.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #236
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here because I see where you are coming from and I do like the college rule. People are already pissed about the amount of flags in a game, slowing the flow down and interrupting the game. You add this in where you kick a guy out and send it to replay, you are going to see many more stoppages.

I can't stress this point enough...the way you all see the game on your TV is drastically different than how it is viewed on the field. Those collisions that you can watch the replay and complain (not singling out you TroyF but fans in general) "why did they throw the flag when the contact was clearly not helmet to helmet" happen in a split second and sometimes so fast you can't even comprehend what you saw. So the verbage is added to the rule "When in doubt and it's a safety foul, throw the flag."

Can you imagine the spike in flags in the NFL if the college rule was implemented? Heck if I am an official and on the fence, I'll throw the flag everytime knowing that replay will fix it if I am wrong.

Now I think that a harsh penalty in the NFL like college will eventually deter the players from taking head shots, but are the "fans" willing to go through the period where the games will be painfully slow?

I think the spike in flags would last about 2 weeks. The players would get it real quick. I hate singling him out because he hasn't been a consistently dirty player, but take the Clay Mathews hit earlier this year. That hit isn't going to happen if he realizes it would be an immediate ejection from the game.

I know football fans are going to be screaming at me for this one, but I'd love a soccer style card system for personal fouls. The Mathews play is a straight red. A late shove out of bounds is a yellow. Enough yellows over the course of the season accumulate, you miss a game.

Once actual games and not game checks are on the line, this garbage will greatly wind down. Heck, it already has started to go down anyway. Just take it to the next level and end it as a way the game is played.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #237
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I know football fans are going to be screaming at me for this one, but I'd love a soccer style card system for personal fouls. The Mathews play is a straight red. A late shove out of bounds is a yellow. Enough yellows over the course of the season accumulate, you miss a game.

Okay, perhaps this is just the evolution of sport. You know what comes after that then, right?

Like I said, in the name of all that is holy, if we go down this road to making this violent contact sport non-violent, then let's just cancel it. Take off their pads, round out the ball, and let's play soccer. American sport can be baseball (provided we get Alex Cobb a helmet for chist's sake!) and we'll make Football and it's stupid flops universal.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #238
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Couldn't you make it a suspension for the next game and have the review on Monday?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #239
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Okay, perhaps this is just the evolution of sport. You know what comes after that then, right?

Like I said, in the name of all that is holy, if we go down this road to making this violent contact sport non-violent, then let's just cancel it. Take off their pads, round out the ball, and let's play soccer. American sport can be baseball (provided we get Alex Cobb a helmet for chist's sake!) and we'll make Football and it's stupid flops universal.

Ummm, I thought someone would hate the idea, but I didn't think anyone would go there.

Unlike soccer, football uses video review and can do so instantly. It's only effective in soccer because there is no video review. You fool the one guy on the field, it doesn't matter what the camera shows. In American football? Go ahead and try that garbage once. Not only will you not get the penalty you desire, you'll be labeled a dirtbag and destroy your career in the process. Sorry, no chance in hell diving will ever work in football. Nice try though.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #240
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The onus can't just be on the defense. In the Cobb injury, if Cobb protects himself he probably doesn't get hurt. Instead he attempts to spring forward on the way down and/or land in a way that lets him run after catch. There are plenty of NFL WRs who play at a high level and never get "blown up." They need to teach offensive players to protect themselves just as much as they need to punish defenders for making stupid hits.

I have been saying this for years. Too many WRs put themselves in stupid positions to make plays and end up paying for it with their health. If you are going to go over the middle, the QB needs to know he must make a good throw and the WR needs to know that even if he doesn't see someone, he is going to be hit. Don't worry about the RAC yards. You are going to get hit, get down.

Totally agree with what you are saying. I would submit Marvin Harrison as an example. He would always go down before he was going to be blasted.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 10-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #241
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Yup. You can't be suing for concussions while playing like this.

I like the breakdown above - tackling / blocking is fine, but "jacking up" is not. If "jacking up" continues to be allowed, the game will likely die from the lawsuits. And I think the game can be plenty fun, entertaining, and strategic, if defenders are forbidden from launching and leading with the head.

As long as linemen are crashing into one another head first 50+ times a game, the lawsuits will probably keep coming.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #242
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just watched that Cobb clip ... THAT is somehow controversial? WTF?

He made the stop, was nowhere near the head (which would have been at greater risk had he done anything else). WTF do people expect, that's a play - especially for DB's - that's been around as long as I've been watching football (give or take 40 years at least).

Can't hit 'em high, can't him 'em low ... why not just put flags on them & call it day?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #243
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just watched that Cobb clip ... THAT is somehow controversial? WTF?

He made the stop, was nowhere near the head (which would have been at greater risk had he done anything else). WTF do people expect, that's a play - especially for DB's - that's been around as long as I've been watching football (give or take 40 years at least).

Can't hit 'em high, can't him 'em low ... why not just put flags on them & call it day?

I didn't think it would be controversial. My stance is that Cobb and Rodgers need to do a better job of protecting Cobb.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #244
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Ummm, I thought someone would hate the idea, but I didn't think anyone would go there.

Unlike soccer, football uses video review and can do so instantly. It's only effective in soccer because there is no video review. You fool the one guy on the field, it doesn't matter what the camera shows. In American football? Go ahead and try that garbage once. Not only will you not get the penalty you desire, you'll be labeled a dirtbag and destroy your career in the process. Sorry, no chance in hell diving will ever work in football. Nice try though.

Every last flop was recorded and reviewed, yet it still goes on. Why? To get ref's to pull red and yellow cards out of their pockets. The NFL more than likely will ensure that red/yellow cards would not be reviewable like every other infraction. I'm not going there, just going down that slippery slope.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #245
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Elam could have hit him right in the midsection without much trouble. I stand by that. I played football too, Safety in fact- and there's no way I would have hit Cobb anywhere except right in the chest with my shoulder on that play. The diving at the legs was totally unneccessary. I'm not saying he should be penalized for this because it is a legal hit, but I am saying he looks to have done it with malicious intent in my opinion. This was hardly a bang bang play in NFL terms, he had plenty of time to choose where he wanted to hit Cobb and he went directly for the knee. That is all I am taking umbrage with.

FUCK EA
Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #246
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The rule should be that if the defender is making contact within one foot of waist level in either direction, there should never be a penalty for anything, helmet to helmet or whatever. This lays it out clearly for the defenders to try to hit around the waist and for offensive players not to lower their head unless they expect to get their clocks cleaned. Hits determined to be illegal should also be available to be reviewed.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 10-15-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #247
Dutch
"Dutch"

Going back to a leather helmet would also help in stopping players from spearing.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #248
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Every last flop was recorded and reviewed, yet it still goes on. Why? To get ref's to pull red and yellow cards out of their pockets. The NFL more than likely will ensure that red/yellow cards would not be reviewable like every other infraction. I'm not going there, just going down that slippery slope.

There is no slippery slope. The NFL would review them instantly. Not like soccer, where the game can be decided with a good flop. Beyond that, these hits are not "flops" in the way soccer is. A ht to the head is a hit to the head. Contact out of bounds is contact out of bounds. And instead of one ref watching, you have multipes and the tv cameras. It isnt used in football today even with how valuable a 15 yard penalty is. Sorry, but ther is no slope. The two sports are not comparable.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #249
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
There is no slippery slope. The NFL would review them instantly. Not like soccer, where the game can be decided with a good flop. Beyond that, these hits are not "flops" in the way soccer is. A ht to the head is a hit to the head. Contact out of bounds is contact out of bounds. And instead of one ref watching, you have multipes and the tv cameras. It isnt used in football today even with how valuable a 15 yard penalty is. Sorry, but ther is no slope. The two sports are not comparable.

The two sports *should not* be comparable. So let's at least agree on that. But if we do go to a soccer styled red/yellow card system doesn't that chip away at your the bottom line there?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #250
Desnudo
Coordinator

Use some sort of laser tag system for determining if a hit was between the knees and the head
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote