Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #201
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Since I watch shitty shows-

That Criminal Minds this week was legit scary. Gray Gubler should get a feature to direct at some point(Spencer)

CSI:Cyber is a national treasure. Hopefully it comes back and they double up on the hokey stuff.

American Crime is written by a bunch of kiddos who took one semester of humanities and think they know how to solve the problems of this world. It's heavy Hulk handed.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #202
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That Criminal Minds this week was legit scary. Gray Gubler should get a feature to direct at some point(Spencer)

I didn't see it (pretty much never see any of the procedurals until reruns/syndication) but I've seen 2-3 other people say pretty much the same thing about this episode.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #203
djsatu
High School Varsity

Into crime/mystery shows these days and have some recommendations for you guys:

The Fall (Great show from the UK)

Happy Valley (Another gem from the UK)

The Missing (Same as above)

Chasing Shadows (Only 4 episodes, but really good from the UK)
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #204
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I didn't see it (pretty much never see any of the procedurals until reruns/syndication) but I've seen 2-3 other people say pretty much the same thing about this episode.

It was very different, that's for certain. But not what Criminal Minds is about - a real-world based procedural. Exceptional people in difficult circumstances.

This was more a high-concept horror flick based on the supernatural. The direction was fine, but the story seemed more True Blood than anything else.

After ten years, you start to run out of ways to present serial killers ripped from the case files. The show-runner, Erica Messer, said they already struggle a bit with reality because most serial killers target women and there are many similarities in most stories. So they look for creative ways to expand upon the small differences in those stories.

I don't think the show would work well if it started delving into horror or the supernatural, though. Criminal Minds has been the best show on the major networks for pieces of its ten years. I hope it doesn't stray too far from its roots - the relationships between the major characters are where this show is strongest, and it's been a weak season. Partially because Jeanne Tripplehorn was just weird playing the Prentiss role, so they replaced her with an aging replica of Jennifer Love-Hewitt with a five-year-old's haircut this season and they have no idea how to write for that character.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #205
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I kinda wonder if the spin-off is just a hedge against not being able to bring back the majority of the cast for the next season. I totally agree on JLH, they've done nothing with her this season. Maybe it was hard to incorporate her with the pregnancy, i guess?

And I wish they would just do the origin show with young Rossi and Gideon instead of possibly recasting the majority of the show.

Last edited by stevew : 04-26-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #206
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I used to like Criminal Minds but the first couple episodes of this season kind of turned me off.

Finally getting into the whole Netflix thing and have been watching Sherlock, that is a great show.

Watched Broadchurch but my wife didn't see it so we are watching it together so she can see it from the start. Was good so it is worth a re-watch.

Anyone watching Orphan Black? That show has all sorts of strange going on but it is entertaining.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #207
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Anyone watching Orphan Black? That show has all sorts of strange going on but it is entertaining.

I'm still watching. I thought season 1 was absolutely brilliant, season 2 went a little insane and the story got a little too convoluted I think, but Tatiana Maslany is so damn good that I don't care and will probably keep watching forever no matter how off the rails the story may get.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #208
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm still watching. I thought season 1 was absolutely brilliant, season 2 went a little insane and the story got a little too convoluted I think, but Tatiana Maslany is so damn good that I don't care and will probably keep watching forever no matter how off the rails the story may get.

Basically the same reasoning for me. I feel so lost when watching the show but I just can't stop.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #209
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Silicon Valley is pretty crazy good right now. They've seriously brought out the knives in regards to the tech world.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #210
Johnny93g
College Starter

Anyone check out Happyish?

How is it? It's on an additional pay for content service in Canada, so i'm curious if it's worth the extra 4 bucks a month just to see it....
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #211
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'll check it out and let you know. I just forgot to record it. Once again, though, it looks an awful lot like Togetherness which looked a lot like Married.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:10 AM   #212
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Silicon Valley is pretty crazy good right now. They've seriously brought out the knives in regards to the tech world.

I just signed up for HBO Now so I have access to the first season of the show. Only two episodes in, but doesn't seem anything special. Wonder if that is because I've already seen Betas on Amazon Prime, and these cover very similar topics.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #213
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno about Betas at all. I felt like Silicon Valley got really good in the second part of the first season and they've been guns blazing in season 2.

Also maybe check out Veep, I love that show.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #214
Thomkal
Head Coach

Tonight....GRODD Lives!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #215
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Anyone check out Happyish?

How is it? It's on an additional pay for content service in Canada, so i'm curious if it's worth the extra 4 bucks a month just to see it....

watched the pilot. really bizarre. had some solid jokes.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #216
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
watched the pilot. really bizarre. had some solid jokes.

Does it got potential to be something, or just another run of the mill.....
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #217
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Does it got potential to be something, or just another run of the mill.....

I don't know. I thought the writing was pretty interesting, but like literally one segment was a dream sequence involving cartoon Keebler elfs, shotgun suicide and him fucking the cartoon Keebler grandma.

I really like the cast though.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #218
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Tonight....GRODD Lives!

How in the world did

Spoiler

And
Spoiler
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #219
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Saw an advertisement for Astronaut Wives Club. Looks like it could have potential... The Astronaut Wives Club (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #220
RainMaker
General Manager

I can't get into this season of Orphan Black. Loved season one but it's slowly gone downhill since. The motivations for the characters make little to no sense anymore. Seems like they're more concerned with putting cute scenes people can pass around Tumblr or whatever than writing a good story anymore.

Tatiana Maslany is terrific though. She deserves more mainstream work.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-05-2015 at 08:11 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #221
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I can't get into this season of Orphan Black. Loved season one but it's slowly gone downhill since. The motivations for the characters make little to no sense anymore. Seems like they're more concerned with putting cute scenes people can pass around Tumblr or whatever than writing a good story anymore.

Tatiana Maslany is terrific though. She deserves more mainstream work.

I haven't watched any of season 3, but I felt this way about season 2. Characters behaved in unrealistic and unpredictable ways unseen since the show Lost.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #222
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mindy cancelled by Fox.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #223
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I haven't watched any of season 3, but I felt this way about season 2. Characters behaved in unrealistic and unpredictable ways unseen since the show Lost.

Totally agree. It lost me once the additional character at the office gained screen time. I sorta wish they would have canned the crazy conspiracy and focused on lighter stuff. It's dying on my DVR.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:32 AM   #224
stevew
Hall Of Famer

JLH out at Criminal Minds. She was written poorly but I've always been a big fan.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:26 AM   #225
RainMaker
General Manager

Never understood why they brought her in and did practically nothing with her.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:47 AM   #226
stevew
Hall Of Famer

RE: Mindy, I kinda thought that the AMEX campaign was a bit too much like spiking the football when her show routinely was fractional and could never find much of an audience. I enjoyed her, but I doubt that I'll follow the show to HULU as I already subscribe to enough streaming stuff as it is.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #227
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I like Mindy but I feel like they kind of lost their way with the show a little bit. She started off as a bright, independent character with a bit of a whimsical side but over the course of the show she turned into such a loopy caricature that it's hard to picture her dressing and feeding herself, let alone working as a doctor. So ironic that show Mindy has devolved into a shallow stereotype that real life Mindy would no doubt want to skewer

and they don't seem to know what to do with the supporting cast at all.

it's definitely not a bad show - there's a lot of funny stuff - but I do feel it's nowhere near as good as it could/should be.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 05-07-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #228
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thought the first season of Billy and Billie on Audience(DirecTV) was pretty good. Written by Neil LaBute, it featured some pretty strong performances by Lisa Joyce and Adam Brody(Ted on the league).

Basic setup is that they were semi estranged step-siblings who find a connection.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #229
RainMaker
General Manager

Agree with what you all are saying on Mindy. I wonder if the network got their fingers in the show for the 2nd season because it does make a weird turn. Seems like shows are allowed to be themselves the 1st season and after that a bunch of uncreative execs try to mold it to their uncreative liking.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #230
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They basically rebooted Mindy midway thru the first season and fired Anna Camp, added a whole new supporting cast. Then the second season further diverted.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #231
SackAttack
Head Coach

Agent Carter renewed? Fuck yes.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:19 AM   #232
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ABC had some weird renewals.

I'm curious about CBS. CSI:Cyber is a really guilty pleasure.

Hannibal back on June 4

Last edited by stevew : 05-08-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:57 AM   #233
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else seen The Comedians on fX? Not the biggest Billy Crystal fan but it has some moments.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #234
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Galavant picked up for a second season
Old 05-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #235
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm happy that iZombie was renewed. There's nothing really special about it, but it fills the Veronica Mars void for me if nothing else. After crossing New Girl and Louie off my already dwindling list this year, I'll take what I can get.
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #236
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
I'm happy that iZombie was renewed. There's nothing really special about it, but it fills the Veronica Mars void for me if nothing else. After crossing New Girl and Louie off my already dwindling list this year, I'll take what I can get.

I love iZombie! I think it's an inventive look at the whole zombie genre - also it's well written.

Sorry about dropping New Girl - it had literally the best sitcom season finale I've ever seen.

I'm REALLY excited that Galavant got a Season 2. I had written off that it would happen, so it was quite a great surprise!
Old 05-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #237
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Kevin Bacon's The Following ends after two years on the small screen | Daily Mail Online

Hallelujah!

If there was ever a show that needed to get canceled after the first episode this was it. This show has caused more irrational hatred in me than any other show.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #238
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought it took about 5-6 to get really shitty, but good riddance.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #239
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I love iZombie! I think it's an inventive look at the whole zombie genre - also it's well written.

I haven't watched it but I was a little unnerved when they were showing previews for an episode the other day that showed the zombie chick getting laid.

I mean, necrophilia in prime time? Good gawd.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #240
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Sorry about dropping New Girl - it had literally the best sitcom season finale I've ever seen.

Cool. I may watch it on Netflix at some point. There wasn't any particular reason that I stopped watching it. Like chrisj said last page, I just sort of lost interest at some point.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #241
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I haven't watched it but I was a little unnerved when they were showing previews for an episode the other day that showed the zombie chick getting laid.

Is it necrophilia if it's with the undead instead of the dead?

Anyway, it was with another zombie, so it's fine. I think.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #242
stevew
Hall Of Famer

More CSI Cyber!!@@
Old 05-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #243
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

That Hannibal preview is badass. Gillian Anderson, daym.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #244
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
That Hannibal preview is badass. Gillian Anderson, daym.

Yeah she's timeless.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #245
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

By another zombie, no less .
Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #246
Scarecrow
College Prospect

RIP American Idol...
Old 05-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #247
Thomkal
Head Coach

its finale week for our favorite superhero shows starting tonight with Flash and a 2 hour Agents of Shield. Will the "catch my mother's killer storyline end tonight on Flash or will the Inhuman vs Human war end tonight before it really started on Agents of Shield?
Old 05-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #248
Thomkal
Head Coach

Big announcement and trailer for a new show in 2016. Seemed a bit early to start the 2016 thread I give you DC's Legends of Tomorrow!

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow Trailer Released | Comicbook.com

A very interesting mix of characters-some villains, a reborn villain (now hero?), and some new characters, and a much anticipated change to an already existing character at the very end of the trailer, my favorite part of it.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #249
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Um just Wow!!
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:56 AM   #250
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

D'oh!

'Simpsons' Mr. Burns walking away from $14 million deal - May. 14, 2015