Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who wins House Speaker?
Jordan 6 23.08%
Scalise 4 15.38%
McCarthy 2 7.69%
Jeffries 1 3.85%
Trout 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2023, 02:39 PM   #201
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

If only they nominated Trout, they'd get the 50%
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 03:36 PM   #202
Atocep
Coordinator

No more votes today, but Jordan is likely going to try again tomorrow.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 04:18 PM   #203
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Who's next in the humiliation conga?
Old 10-18-2023, 04:26 PM   #204
RainMaker
General Manager

It sounds like they tried to get aggressive last night with threats to the holdouts. Reports of calling wives and threats to primary people. That seemed to only piss people off more.

What's the longest the House has ever gone without a real speaker?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 04:39 PM   #205
bronconick
College Starter

2 months in 1855
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:14 AM   #206
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice strategy. Be interesting to see what the vote counts are today, hopefully 23+.

Quote:
But some Jordan critics inside the House Republican conference have decided to stagger their votes, so the votes against Jordan grow with each round, CBS News' Robert Costa reported. This stems from their belief that Jordan won't quit the speaker race unless it's obvious he's losing votes along the way, according to two House Republicans who spoke on background to discuss private deliberations. CNN first reported this development.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 09:48 AM   #207
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://www.natesilver.net/p/the-gam...the-republican

Pretty good read for the game theory minded here.

Basically, the GOP does not have a stable equilibrium right now, which is why they basically can't settle into a ground state.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 10:13 AM   #208
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW

Someone please propose the McHenry compromise ... at least through the conclusion of the Nov 17 budget stuff.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...-23/index.html
Quote:
Multiple GOP sources say that Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan is quickly losing votes and is poised to lose even more Republican support if he goes through with a third ballot Thursday for his House speakership bid. One Republican opponent says there are about 30 GOP "no" votes today.

It’s unclear if Jordan will go through with the anticipated noon ET vote at this moment.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:31 AM   #209
Thomkal
Head Coach

Nothing official yet but seeing reporting that Jordan will not have a third vote today and will back the temporary power of the Speaker given to McHenry
Old 10-19-2023, 11:30 AM   #210
Edward64
Head Coach

In case you didn't know McHenry's background, see below. Seems like a reasonable chap.

‘The greatest name in politics’: A quick guide to Patrick McHenry - POLITICO
Quote:
You’re going to read that the 18-year House veteran is the “adult in the room” compared to other GOP hard-liners — a pragmatist who’s ready to govern and even has Democrats clamoring for him to run the House. But it wasn’t always that way.
Quote:
McHenry hasn’t quite abandoned his conservative ideals in his transition to GOP statesman. But he’s made clear that he can be flexible to get a deal done.

Just take McHenry’s approach at House Financial Services. McHenry has spent years courting Rep. Maxine Waters — the panel’s top Democrat and McHenry’s polar opposite — in a bid to craft legislation that would have a hint of a shot at getting through the Senate and signed by the president. Before taking the gavel, he described the committee as an active nook of bipartisanship.
Quote:
Former Speaker Kevin McCarthy turned to McHenry earlier this year to help resolve the debt-limit impasse. It warmed hearts on Wall Street because bankers had confidence that McHenry would be a voice of reason and help steer the country away from financial calamity.
Quote:
McHenry is close to the middle of his party, according to one ideology score. He believes climate change is real and “we have to do something about it.” He’s supported aid for Ukraine. He has sidestepped some of the culture war issues that are dominating GOP politics and even drew flak from the right when he kept diversity and inclusion concerns — a priority of Waters — on the Financial Services oversight agenda.
Quote:
After a sudden rash of regional bank failures in March, McHenry, unlike some other conservatives, held back from using the crisis atmosphere to attack the Biden administration for their handling of the situation — confirming the full transition from his bomb-throwing days of yore.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:33 AM   #211
Edward64
Head Coach

I think I like this.

Jordan won't seek third vote today for House speaker and will back McHenry: reports - MarketWatch
Quote:
Betting markets have been seeing McHenry as more likely than Jordan to get the speaker job permanently.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:48 AM   #212
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't know much about him, but it seems like a plus that McHenry doesn't particularly want the job. Maybe he won't have the giant ego that seems to come standard for folks seeking leadership in the government.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #213
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ha! now Republicans are mad that Republican leadership is now backing the McHenry temp deal.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:12 PM   #214
Jas_lov
College Starter

I'd be shocked if they get the McHenry plan through without Democrat votes.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 12:21 PM   #215
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I don't know much about him, but it seems like a plus that McHenry doesn't particularly want the job. Maybe he won't have the giant ego that seems to come standard for folks seeking leadership in the government.

But changing the speaker's chair because the old one made it clear he is short isn't a good indicator.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:56 PM   #216
Edward64
Head Coach

The Dems pov, looks promising if there is a vote …

Quote:
Three Democratic lawmakers told NBC News that during a closed-door meeting Thursday, Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries of New York told rank-and-file members that Democrats would only support a temporary speaker who meets the following conditions: They voted to certify the 2020 election; have a track record of standing up to extremism” and defending democracy, as well as a “track record of governing”; and agreed to support the original debt limit deal struck between the White House and McCarthy.

McHenry, the Financial Services chairman and a former member of GOP leadership who helped negotiate the Biden-McCarthy deal, meets all of those criteria.
Old 10-19-2023, 01:47 PM   #217
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The Dems pov, looks promising if there is a vote …
But the Republicans say no. They refuse to make any concession to get Democrats votes, and the hardliners refuse to vote for this. The only hope at this point if some Republicans defect. The Republicans will never be able to come together on anything, and they would rather the country burn than work with Democrats.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:19 PM   #218
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Is there a rule against that?

It seems like a lot of work to learn something that the other team can easily change up.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:22 PM   #219
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The bitch had this to say which is basically everything we have known about the rpublican party for decades.

Quote:
I will vote NO on a resolution to empower a short-term Speaker.

I’m not sharing our power with Democrats, after our voters gave us the majority.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:29 PM   #220
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Is there a rule against that?

It seems like a lot of work to learn something that the other team can easily change up.
No. They could both name the speaker and change the rules prevent a single person challenging the speaker by majority vote.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:21 PM   #221
Edward64
Head Coach

I read Scalise was against it. Guessing he didn’t want to give Jordan 2-3 months extra that he didn’t get.

It might require Jordan stepping aside first.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:27 PM   #222
Atocep
Coordinator

Troy Nehls is pushing for Trump to be temporary speaker until 3 January 2024. He said if they don't have a decision on speaker by the end of this weekend he's going to nominate him.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:34 PM   #223
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Troy Nehls is pushing for Trump to be temporary speaker until 3 January 2024. He said if they don't have a decision on speaker by the end of this weekend he's going to nominate him.

I love it. The last unprompted attempt to nominate him as speaker failed in humiliating fashion, and don't see why this attempt would be any different. Go for it!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 03:42 PM   #224
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
No. They could both name the speaker and change the rules prevent a single person challenging the speaker by majority vote.

Too many tabs open. I thought I was responding to the Michigan sign-stealing allegations :-)
Old 10-19-2023, 03:45 PM   #225
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Too many tabs open. I thought I was responding to the Michigan sign-stealing allegations :-)
Lol. That makes your statement more clear.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:55 PM   #226
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Don't they have to change the rules since you can't nominate a speaker who is under indictment?

I feel like this would be Trump's nightmare. The job is a bunch of boring procedural work and he'd actually have to show up.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:00 PM   #227
GrantDawg

I think he might be trying to skirt that rule by nominating him Speaker Pro Tem.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2023, 04:01 PM   #228
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Don't they have to change the rules since you can't nominate a speaker who is under indictment?

I feel like this would be Trump's nightmare. The job is a bunch of boring procedural work and he'd actually have to show up.

Yes, he's currently ineligible because of standard house rules.

It would also be open to Supreme Court challenge as I've seen mixed interpretations on whether someone that isn't a member of the house can serve as speaker.

And yeah, he would absolutely hate being speaker. He'd have to work a full day, read and know rules, work on compromise with others, and interact with dems. It's quite possibly the worst job he could imagine.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:06 PM   #229
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Republicans will never be able to come together on anything, and they would rather the country burn than work with Democrats.

As it should.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:09 PM   #230
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes, he's currently ineligible because of standard house rules.

It would also be open to Supreme Court challenge as I've seen mixed interpretations on whether someone that isn't a member of the house can serve as speaker.

And yeah, he would absolutely hate being speaker. He'd have to work a full day, read and know rules, work on compromise with others, and interact with dems. It's quite possibly the worst job he could imagine.

But he would love the kissing the ring part and becoming President if something should happen to Biden/Harris
Old 10-19-2023, 04:46 PM   #231
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 10-19-2023, 05:27 PM   #232
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Gym Jordan: "Please Stop Eating My face"

Face-Eating Leopards: "No."

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/stat...23897782141270

also funny... someone took a photo of Jordan's notes from the meeting and Jordan had scrawled on it Joker-style is "WHAT IS THE REAL REASON?"

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-19-2023 at 05:27 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:11 PM   #233
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I basically saw these two tweets back to back in my timeline:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:15 PM   #234
Jas_lov
College Starter

So he's going to lose again and then they're going to adjourn and call it a week. What a cluster. Maybe a way out is for 5 gop members just don't show up tomorrow.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:18 PM   #235
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so I keep reading all the above reports saying he withdrew, he didn't want to go to vote he withdrew yadaya

Now I saw a news interview with him saying he WILL be speaker. He WILL be speaker.

And now I see another vote coming so quickly. What happened to his support for mchenry? jesus he's such a clown
Old 10-19-2023, 06:35 PM   #236
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

almost worried that gym did some heavy duty kidnapping and bribery before tomorrow
Old 10-19-2023, 08:46 PM   #237
GrantDawg

They are saying now that they are going to force votes starting tomorrow and go all through the weekend till they get a Speaker. Jordan is just going to try to wear them down.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2023, 08:51 PM   #238
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Gym Jordan: "Please Stop Eating My face"

Face-Eating Leopards: "No."

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/stat...23897782141270

also funny... someone took a photo of Jordan's notes from the meeting and Jordan had scrawled on it Joker-style is "WHAT IS THE REAL REASON?"

This shit made me laugh. Biggest moments of his life and he prepared with half an envelope, to scrawl on. Who wouldn't vote for this guy??
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 09:08 PM   #239
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
They are saying now that they are going to force votes starting tomorrow and go all through the weekend till they get a Speaker. Jordan is just going to try to wear them down.

McCarthy is going to be like Heath Shuler (94) when Ryan Leaf (99) took his spot.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:43 PM   #240
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice exchange. I wish there was a YT video.

Access to this page has been denied
Quote:
At one point, while speaking at the mics during the gathering, McCarthy mentioned Gaetz by name, according to a source in the room. Gaetz stood up to “kind of interrupt him and say something,” per a second source in the room.

McCarthy then shot back, according to the second source.

“Sit your ass down,” McCarthy said, according to the source, prompting Gaetz to “say something back.”

The second source said Rep. Mike Bost (R-Ill.) “was ready to lunge across the room.”

McCarthy said he did not yell at Gaetz.

“I was at the mic, I was speaking and Matt Gaetz tried to interrupt,” McCarthy said. “I told him to sit down.”

“I think the entire conference screamed at him,” McCarthy added. “Listen, the whole country, I think, would scream at Matt Gaetz right now. Remember, it was the crazy eight led by Matt Gaetz and every single Democrat that put us into this situation.”

Gaetz, for his part, said he thought McCarthy “was yielding to me since he had mentioned me.”
Old 10-19-2023, 09:51 PM   #241
RainMaker
General Manager

Feel like this is not a smart way to get people to vote for you but maybe they assume they're cucks like Cruz.

Old 10-19-2023, 09:52 PM   #242
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 10-19-2023, 09:59 PM   #243
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Feel like this is not a smart way to get people to vote for you but maybe they assume they're cucks like Cruz.

I trust the FBI is on it and we’ll hear about an arrest soon.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:42 AM   #244
miami_fan
Coordinator

"You're going to be fucking molested like you can't ever imagine. And again, nonviolently."

What a sentence.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 05:52 AM   #245
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
"You're going to be fucking molested like you can't ever imagine. And again, nonviolently."

What a sentence.

Yeah, I'm sure he thinks that’s going to protect him if he gets caught.

‘… but, but I said nonviolently!’

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-20-2023 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:48 AM   #246
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The party of civility, apparently.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:07 AM   #247
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

They need to stop calling this chaos. This is actually order. They are following the rules again and agaain and again.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:12 AM   #248
Edward64
Head Coach

Something tells me the Dems won't be compromising with Jordan.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...-23/index.html
Quote:
"At every step of the way, Republicans have rejected bipartisanship and embraced extremism. Jim Jordan is a clear and present danger to our democracy," Jeffries said.
Quote:
"He wants to end social security as we know it. He wants to end medicare as we know it — doesn't believe that President Biden was elected in 2020. That's disrespectful to the American people," Jeffries added.

Jeffries called Jordan the "poster child for MAGA extremism" and called for Republicans to join Democrats in finding bipartisanship.

"We are saying to our traditional Republican colleagues — good men and women on the other side of the aisle — end the attachment to the extremist Jim Jordan and join with Democrats in finding a bipartisan path forward," Jeffries said.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:50 AM   #249
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The GOP's having a civil war, and the situation in the House is just the currently most visible battlefield (the "debates" were this also, but not as bad). Smart of the Democrats to see if they can drive a wedge between the factions a little bit more.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 10:01 AM   #250
Edward64
Head Coach

Regardless if you agree or not with what McCarty is saying, he did a great job in delivering the Jordan nomination speech.