Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Where's my popcorn?

RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #203
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

At the rate info is coming out I figure there's going to be a some rather juicy info to come out and force Auburn's hand before the Iron Bowl, or SEC Title game. It would still be nice if 'Bama beat Auburn and thus countered the future mess of the BCS title game being marred.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #204
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good stuff. I had always wondered why Terry Bowden hadn't gotten another job (after going 47-17-1/30-14-1 in the SEC while largely under probation). Sounds like he was trying to clean things up, but "honoring" the existing deals and he got shoved out (and possibly sabotaged).

I don't know if I buy all of what I have read, but it kind of feels like it is too crazy to be made up. If half of this stuff is true and gets uncovered, the SEC is going to be down to 8 or 9 teams for awhile.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #205
molson
General Manager

Everyone does tend to overreact about about potential penalties - weren't people here talking about the death penalty for North Carolina earlier this season? I don't think the NCAA is every going that route again. Certainly not for stuff involving boosters. I think it would take blatant lack of cooperation with the NCAA once a scandal hits to get beyond loss of scholarships/minimal bowl bans. And everybody cooperates once they're caught.

There's enough out there on Auburn though, that I'd think it woud start influencing neutral BCS voters. But most of the coach's poll voters are probably sympathetic to Auburn's situation. And the Harris poll alone isn't going to make much of a difference. Odd scenerio though. It seems almost guaranteed Auburn will have their season vacated, and here they are competing for a national championship.

Last edited by molson : 11-18-2010 at 09:51 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #206
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's sad to say, but college football needs Auburn to lose to either Alabama or South Carolina. The SEC championship is already screwed up, so the best they can do is try to salvage the BCS championship. And rather than strip them of their appearance, it would be best for everyone if they just lost it on the field so the Auburn players aren't screwed out of their moment, too.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-18-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #207
Butter
Coordinator

Pretty much agree, Ksyrup. Puts me in the highly uncomfortable position of rooting for Saban and 'Bama. Yuk.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #208
Ksyrup

Yeah, no kidding. Or Spurrier. Although I have to admit I was rooting for him to beat UF in Gainesville. But otherwise...ugh.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #209
molson
General Manager

Of course, if Auburn loses, LSU has a shot to jump into the title game. Do we have anything dirty on them yet?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #210
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Pretty much agree, Ksyrup. Puts me in the highly uncomfortable position of rooting for Saban and 'Bama. Yuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah, no kidding. Or Spurrier. Although I have to admit I was rooting for him to beat UF in Gainesville. But otherwise...ugh.

Totally with you both on this one.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #211
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Of course, if Auburn loses, LSU has a shot to jump into the title game. Do we have anything dirty on them yet?

Les Miles' clear possession by Satan in late game situations allowing his team to somehow win?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #212
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Let's hope not. That would be high comedy.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #213
Ksyrup

Quote:

That's not true, is it? I thought Auburn clinched the SEC West title last weekend, so even if they lose to Alabama, they are in Atlanta regardless.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #214
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's not true, is it? I thought Auburn clinched the SEC West title last weekend, so even if they lose to Alabama, they are in Atlanta regardless.

Oh ya - but if LSU finishes in the top 2 of the BCS, they don't need the conference title to get in to the national title game, right? Didn't something like that happen a few years ago in the Big 12?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #215
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh ya - but if LSU finishes in the top 2 of the BCS, they don't need the conference title to get in to the national title game, right? Didn't something like that happen a few years ago in the Big 12?

Yes, but I just don't think there is a ground swell that's going to move LSU from 5 to 2 just because one team gets beat.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #216
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Yes, but I just don't think there is a ground swell that's going to move LSU from 5 to 2 just because one team gets beat.

It seems like a big jump until you consider that just have to pass Boise St/TCU and their schedules, and they're pretty close in points now. If nothing else, they'll definitely gain ground if they beat Arkansas while Boise St/TCU are playing lesser teams and having bye weeks. Which basically would make it a photo finish.

Last edited by molson : 11-18-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #217
Ksyrup

Boise State has 6-3 Fresno State and 9-1 #18 Nevada the next two weeks, so if they beat both impressively, it would be difficult to jump a team over them considering where they are right now.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #218
molson
General Manager

If they win out Boise St. will definitely finish ahead of TCU, but I'll still believe it when I see it that they actually end up #2. It's still something that's never happened and there will be some hesitation from the human voters to pull the trigger, I would think.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #219
Ksyrup

If - and it's a big if - they convincingly beat Fresno and particularly Nevada and get dropped below LSU or another 1-loss team, that will be a huge crock of shit. It's one thing not to move them over a 1-loss team, if that 1-loss team has been ranked ahead of them all year. It's entirely another to put them in the top 3 and then in the final vote, drop them below a lower-ranked team with them coming off a spanking of a top 15-18 team. That would be horseshit. And it would basically signal what we all kinda figure anyway - a non-AQ's limit is #3, no matter the circumstances.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #220
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Also, I'm not really sure floating those names as targets helps Minnesota's AD. There's a lot of anger in the fan base at Joel Maturi for his handling of the football and hockey programs in recent years, saying he intends to hire a big name and then getting someone who doesn't excited could work out poorly in the short term.

So Minnesota hires Northern Illinois' Jerry Kill and AD Joel Maturi is getting raped by the hardcore fanbase and will get reamed at tomorrow's press conference by the media. Reality is a sonuvabitch. No one wants to coach here.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #221
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Actually, hardcore fanbase isn't very accurate. He's getting criticized by everyone but a few realists.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #222
Swaggs
Coordinator

On the one hand, he seems pretty underwhelming (name-wise, at least). But, he has signficant head coaching experience, it looks like he has been pretty successful at every stop, and he is relatively young (looks like he is 49).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #223
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Yeah, I think he's a fairly solid hire. You can't really tell me that Hoke, Golden, Edsall, etc. would necessarily do any better with any reasonable amount of certainty - it's really a crapshoot when it comes to "up and comers". There were a LOT of people that wanted Mike Leach. Don't think it was ever an option though.