Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #201
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm just posting it as a warning to folks who are considering buying it to keep in mind...before they go dropping $500 on something that won't pickup WiFi more than a couple feet from the router. Would hate to see someone here get burned by that.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #202
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i'm just posting it as a warning to folks who are considering buying it to keep in mind...before they go dropping $500 on something that won't pickup WiFi more than a couple feet from the router. Would hate to see someone here get burned by that.

lol wat
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #203
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
If there was a smartphone with a kickass huge screen, yes.

But, that thing won't fit in my pocket. And I don't carry a purse, so I would need to start to lug this thing around.

Not for me.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #204
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Be interesting to see Apple's response on the wi-fi issue. How do you miss something like that?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #205
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
But, that thing won't fit in my pocket. And I don't carry a purse, so I would need to start to lug this thing around.

Not for me.
Well to be fair, a lot of people carry a satchel or briefcase or backpack around with them. I don't think I can reject it out of hand just because it won't fit in my pocket.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #206
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Well to be fair, a lot of people carry a satchel or briefcase or backpack around with them. I don't think I can reject it out of hand just because it won't fit in my pocket.

LOL @ "satchel" - like I said, purse.

I do not carry any sort of bag around with me, nor do I have any desire to. Thus, I can reject it out of hand because it won't fit in my pocket. But, unlike perhaps others, I am not trying to brand it as useless to everyone, just useless to me.

I also don't see where it has much more functionality than a smart phone.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #207
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
In short the iPad doesn't seek to replace a PC. The iPad performs a number of the same functions, but implements them in a better fashion.

For example, I'm not going to read a book on my PC(Been there done that). An iPad is a different story altogether.

I'm not going to read a book on an iPad, either. It's still a backlit LCD screen. I need something like e-ink to consider it a reading device.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #208
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
LOL @ "satchel" - like I said, purse.

I do not carry any sort of bag around with me, nor do I have any desire to. Thus, I can reject it out of hand because it won't fit in my pocket. But, unlike perhaps others, I am not trying to brand it as useless to everyone, just useless to me.

I also don't see where it has much more functionality than a smart phone.
Soft-sided messenger bag? There has to be something between man purse and hard sided briefcase here.

I would say that right now it definitely has less functionality than a smart phone, but has the potential to be more useful than one down the road. When you consider a not-too-distant world with a persistent internet and data clouds and streaming entertainment I think you have a device that fits right in with that.

Anyway, I'm not buying one for a year at least, so I feel a little like Emerson getting all jazzed up about getting back to nature from the comfort of his study.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #209
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I'm not going to read a book on an iPad, either. It's still a backlit LCD screen. I need something like e-ink to consider it a reading device.

exactly. i don't know why people don't seem to understand this!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #210
MJ4H
Coordinator

Am I the only one baffled by the apparent need for an e-reader? What the hell is wrong with books? I'm not going to finish more than one on a subway ride.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #211
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
When you consider a not-too-distant world with a persistent internet and data clouds and streaming entertainment I think you have a device that fits right in with that.

By the time we get to that point, THIS iPad will be long obselete. Using them will prbably require hardware not included with this iPad.

I probably disagree with how distant some of those things you speak of are, too.

And I am all for buying cool electronics just because they're cool (ask the wife about our virtually unused PS3). I just don't see the coolness here. Mostly becuase I see a male carrying any kind of container (hard or soft sided) everywhere as inherently uncool.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #212
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Am I the only one baffled by the apparent need for an e-reader? What the hell is wrong with books? I'm not going to finish more than one on a subway ride.
Sorry I am posting so much in this thread, but a lot of these concepts are really interesting.

Anyway - on the book side of things. I was thinking that e-Books are going to be a boon to public libraries. Think about a library that is not limited by space concerns and has hundreds of thousands of titles that you can download to your e-Reader. The content would be time sensitive and would become locked after X days (like when your loan is up at the library).

So now, a library can offer a much wider assortment of titles and doesn't have to worry about space concerns or damaged or lost books, etc..

Or take it a step further - what about NetFlix for books? For $15 per month you have access to every best seller published?

Yes, there are tactile advantages to books but I think the e-Reader does a lot for storage and access and efficiency.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #213
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

What I like to do is put it on shuffle and it randomly grabs a page from a different book. Really freshens up my literary collection.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #214
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

Not for me.

Some company wanting to take a jab at the iPad should do a commercial spoofing that Geico commercial where the guy's carrying the man-purse his wife got him, but say he's carrying his wife's iPad instead.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #215
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry I am posting so much in this thread, but a lot of these concepts are really interesting.

Anyway - on the book side of things. I was thinking that e-Books are going to be a boon to public libraries. Think about a library that is not limited by space concerns and has hundreds of thousands of titles that you can download to your e-Reader. The content would be time sensitive and would become locked after X days (like when your loan is up at the library).

So now, a library can offer a much wider assortment of titles and doesn't have to worry about space concerns or damaged or lost books, etc..

Or take it a step further - what about NetFlix for books? For $15 per month you have access to every best seller published?

Yes, there are tactile advantages to books but I think the e-Reader does a lot for storage and access and efficiency.

I was just talking about the potential appeal of e-books to public libraries the other day. I think it's going to be a huge growth area at some point in the not-too-distant future, and was trying to think of a way to profit off of it - maybe the software necessary in order to control the inventory, or "lock" the titles after a certain number of days or something...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #216
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Do you ever have to stand on the subway? Do you ever have to flip pages while standing on a subway? The size is one reason. If you need quick access to technical documentation and perhaps to annotate that technical documentation. I think opponents of ereaders try to compare it to an ipod. People have an ipod to have a bunch of music at their fingertips. I don't think it's the same logic with ereaders. People want to own their books (not go to the library) but not have to have tons of shelf space and use up tons of paper to print them.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #217
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you ever have to stand on the subway? Do you ever have to flip pages while standing on a subway? The size is one reason. If you need quick access to technical documentation and perhaps to annotate that technical documentation. I think opponents of ereaders try to compare it to an ipod. People have an ipod to have a bunch of music at their fingertips. I don't think it's the same logic with ereaders. People want to own their books (not go to the library) but not have to have tons of shelf space and use up tons of paper to print them.

Points taken. I thought of the technical doc stuff, but didn't think that was what most advocates were talking about. It still seems a little strange but I understand what you are saying.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #218
MJ4H
Coordinator

It's a European shoulderpad.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #219
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I probably disagree with how distant some of those things you speak of are, too.
Ahem

Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #220
digamma
Torchbearer

My wife brought an iPad home from work last night. They bought a half dozen or so to play with them because they are going to be doing a lot of iPad specific content. We played with it a bit, and it is very pretty and has a very cool feel, but it's just a cool toy--nothing more, nothing less.

That's not really adding anything new to the thread...just a confirmation of a lot of the observations others have made based on goofing around with it for an hour.

Last edited by digamma : 04-06-2010 at 11:13 AM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #221
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

What is your point.

In 2006, I said

"2-3 years from now, Blu-Ray/hd-dvd will be in less than 20% of US homes, and DVD players in 90+. "

In January 2009, estimates had Blu Ray players in 12.3 million homes, and 113 million US households: 11%. I think that's less than 20?

And (regarding electronic movie distribution)
"I think this will always be a niche distribution market for movies."

OK, so netflix has 12 million subscribers, only half of who have downloaded more than 15 minutes of video. 6 million in 113 millions households < 5% = niche.

So, basically, in the middle of a debate, with the two of us disagreeing about how quickly technology would advance, you link to a post I'd made four years ago disagreeing with how quickly you thought penetration of the latest technology would go, and I happen to have been right about?

Thanks.

Last edited by Samdari : 04-06-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #222
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
What is your point.

My interpretation was that he agrees that you two do not agree.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #223
Subby
lolzcat

Lame attempt at humorously pointing out your failed technological prognostication a few years ago. My apologies.

Last edited by Subby : 04-06-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #224
Qrusher14242
High School JV

anyone try this one? ARCHOS

for $50 more you get multitasking,usb,flash,webcam,faster processor, bigger hdd and supports 1080p. I'd get that over the ipad.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #225
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Lame attempt at humorously pointing out your failed technological prognostication a few years ago. My apologies.

I am not offended - just wondering why you think it was failed?

Seriously, what of those prognostications do you feel went laughably wrong?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #226
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

So you tote two books with you on the subway so that when you finish the one you can switch to the other easily?

I read quite voraciously, and often re-read books from a couple of years ago. I no longer have room in my house and am starting to have to get rid of books I want to keep in order to get new books. My Kindle has been a godsend. It's just as easy to read as a paperback (which the iPad is not since it's not using the e-ink displays), I can hold it in one hand, and when I finish the book I'm reading I can switch instantly to another or even buy another one very quickly. And it holds more books on the device than I have room for in the house.

My mom travels quite a bit and reads as much as I do. Lugging the Kindle around is much easier than the latest hardcover, and when she finishes a book in an airport she can buy another one quickly without having to walk away from the gate.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #227
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

True for long term reading, E-Ink is the way to go. I can read for reasonable periods of time with a back lit screen. My most recent example is reading a book on the Touch. More of a problem than a back lit screen, was the small format...simply not enough text on the screen at once. The iPad will improve on that considerably. Yet certainly not be a true substitute for a true E-Reader.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 04-06-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #228
digamma
Torchbearer

MJ4H, do you have a Tivo/DVR yet?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #229
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I think there has to be more to it than is implied in that (imho) somewhat sensationalist article.

I've had my iPad since the day of release and used it all over my house (and on the back patio) without any issues at all. This includes having it sat on the sofa or table (which they imply is a potential cause of the issue).

I'd expect it much more likely that this is simply the 'standard' failure rate for any technical device rearing its head - simply put with advanced tech there is generally a small failure rate with any item purchased - heck remember the 'dead pixel' warnings which went around about the original PSP's, etc.

As such I expect Apple will monitor things and promptly take returns and distribute new units if required, nothing to scaremonger hugely over YET imho ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-06-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #230
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I've actually been surprised that I don't mind the iPad as a reader as much as I thought I would - although my preference strangely enough is the iPad Kindle app rather than iBooks.

(I also heartily recommend the Marvel app on the iPad - the comics look glorious on the iPad ..... although it is (cough) a little to easy to purchase additional issues as you finish one )
Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #231
Daimyo
College Starter

We bought one for my mother-in-law who is staying with us for the next several months. It really is a wonderful device and nearly a perfect fit for her needs.

I'm not sure I personally want one, but its great to have one in the house. I like to think of it is as a coffee table computer... its really great to pick up when you're sitting on the couch, watching tv, etc...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #232
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

For me its because I travel between countries for work semi-regularly and have to lug around huge technical reference books - having them in an e-reader saves a LOT of shoulder strain potentially
Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #233
Calis
College Starter

Even apart from tech manuals, you can't underestimate the convenience of buying a book wherever you are. I live a good haul from a decent bookstore so a Kindle has been extremely helpful. Couple that with the space I save and it is well worth the purchase.
Not to mention I'm ADD so having a selection of books with me at all times is wonderful.

I think this question is pertinent to the iPad discussion also. People are in a mindset of comparing e-readers to mp3 players just as they are ipads to netbooks. Now I think this was a miscue on Apple's part as they started it. It is what it is. It is a convenience gadget with a nice look. One that I personally have no interest in, buying think it will lead to some awesome open source tablets.

Edit: bleh, posting from my phone is a bad idea.

Last edited by Calis : 04-06-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #234
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What I like to do is put it on shuffle and it randomly grabs a page from a different book. Really freshens up my literary collection.

AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #235
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post

for $50 more you get multitasking,usb,flash,webcam,faster processor, bigger hdd and supports 1080p. I'd get that over the ipad.

The specs say it has less resolution 1024x600 (I believe it compresses video to 1080p, while the ipad displays 720p native) than the ipad, does not have a SSD HD, has a smaller screen, have the battery life, has Windows 7 so you have to have antivirus and what not..

I do not see it as equal and for $50 more.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #236
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

As the owner of a Kindle, I can now see the point of an e-reader. However, reading books on any LCD screen for a long period of time is painful for me. The e-ink of the Kindle is much better. For me, the Kindle offers three things:
1) portability of many books (useful for when I travel, which I do a fair amount of)
2) reduces my immediate need to buy another bookshelf
3) sychronization. I read mostly on my Kindle in the evenings, but because it sends where I left off reading to the cloud, when I turn on the Kindle app in my iPod to read while waiting in the doc's office or something, it can pull down my location so I can snag a few pages here, a few pages there.

I'm still not the ideal market for the iPad, though. I imagine magazines on it are great. But I don't have any interest in most magazines. For books, the LCD isn't for me for extended reading.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #237
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
has Windows 7 so you have to have antivirus and what not..

As the iPad gets more popular, it will have to worry about antivirus as well. I remember anti-virus software for my old Palm...
Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #238
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
2) reduces my immediate need to buy another bookshelf
Bam - the biggest reason why I like having an e-reader. I don't have a huge house, so storage of items is a real issue. Not having to store books is a boon. Yeah, I could always donate books after reading them to get them out of the house, but then I don't have them, and I have to gather them up and drive them to the donation location.

Aside from a few books that I really want to have in book form, most of my purchases from now on will be in electronic form, for all the reasons already listed plus the above.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #239
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
As the iPad gets more popular, it will have to worry about antivirus as well. I remember anti-virus software for my old Palm...

I am not aware of any virii for the iphone, a three year old device. Hell, it's hard to come across any for OS X as it is.

The fact is that the locked down app store keeps a pretty tight wrap on such things.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #240
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
MJ4H, do you have a Tivo/DVR yet?

Yes I have a DVR because it came with my Dish Network package. I'll repeat that I can see the uses of an e-reader generally speaking. I was sure there would be, I just wanted someone to explain some of them.

Last edited by MJ4H : 04-06-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #241
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Yes I have a DVR because it came with my Dish Network package. I'll repeat that I can see the uses of an e-reader generally speaking. I was sure there would be, I just wanted someone to explain some of them.

Do you like it?

I'm curious--no bearing on the e-reader question.

Last edited by digamma : 04-06-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #242
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes, I like it. It is not nearly worth what the TiVo was costing at the time we were discussing it. I wouldn't have one if it didn't come with my package. But yes, I do like it, of course.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #243
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The specs say it has less resolution 1024x600 (I believe it compresses video to 1080p, while the ipad displays 720p native) than the ipad, does not have a SSD HD, has a smaller screen, have the battery life, has Windows 7 so you have to have antivirus and what not..

I do not see it as equal and for $50 more.

Well to be fair you can find the shortcomings the other way on most things. It doesn't have a SSD but you're looking at basically unlimited storage compare to the iPads fixed. Windows 7 gets you access to obscene amounts of apps and older games, maybe even some newer ones...although not sure how well they'd work on a tablet, but I imagine some old adventure games would be a blast.

Lower resolution but access to more video via Flash support and more codec support in general than Apple.

No benefit to half battery life though and that's the big thing.

In honesty I expect that Archos tablet to run significantly worse and have more issues than the iPad, but from a pure spec standpoint it looks solid.

In general I just don't want the hardware maker controlling the software market as well, so I hope we see some good alternatives...but I don't think a Windows 7 machine will do it, we need something more focused on a touchscreen, maybe an Android or ChromeOS tablet. Something with a market built and ready to compete.

I'm thinking the Google/Apple war is going to heat up significantly this year.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #244
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am not aware of any virii for the iphone, a three year old device. Hell, it's hard to come across any for OS X as it is.

The fact is that the locked down app store keeps a pretty tight wrap on such things.

Well, if it's jailbroken there are a few, but this was just a cursory search so I don't know if any hit the normal ones:

Malicious iPhone Virus Takes Control of Your Phone
Old 04-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #245
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

maybe it just depends on the eyes, but I don't see what the big deal is about E-ink, I can't stand it, and its easier for me to read on an ipod or ipad then an E-ink display. Am I just weird or what?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #246
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post

I have an Archos 5 (not the model here). I like it. It plays .flac format, which the iPod does not. But there are some issues.

For instance, you have to buy a lot of add-ons (like if you want video codecs). Also, there is a really crappy way of charging the machine. It works via USB, but it's not a native USB connection. The cord stopped working for me, which meant, for a long time, I had a brick.

It's also quite large (since it's a HDD). This one is bigger, obviously.

I got an iPod touch for Christmas, and have used that ever since.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #247
DanGarion
Coordinator

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #248
MJ4H
Coordinator

Now that I like. If it had GPS capabilities, then
Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #249
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
maybe it just depends on the eyes, but I don't see what the big deal is about E-ink, I can't stand it, and its easier for me to read on an ipod or ipad then an E-ink display. Am I just weird or what?

You're weird

The issue with a standard LCD is flicker (not much, but it's there) and a bright background. E-ink does not refresh except when you change the page. It's as stable as paper for viewing. I can read my Kindle for a very long time, but can't read for long on a standard LCD. The only way I can look at an LCD for work is the screen is big and my eyes are constantly roving over, not focusing on sections for long periods at a time.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #250
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post

Maybe you're weird, maybe it's just me. I get headaches if I read text too long on any LCD screen--including my computer monitor at work. It's why for long documents, I end up printing them out. I can do short bursts (30 minutes tops, it seems) before the headache starts setting in. E-ink doesn't have that problem, meaning I can curl up with a book on the Kindle for longer reading periods.

Also, though I can't vouch for iPad, I can say that the Touch isn't all that great in the sun (from a readability standpoint), my laptop is miserable, and my friend's Nexus One is the worst of them all in the sun. And, personally, I enjoy reading out on my deck, especially when the weather's as nice as it's been lately.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote