Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #201
Antmeister
Pro Starter

So far I have been in 5 text based missions and they have all been pretty unique.

1. Earn enough money to pay the ransom for captive - This one was very cool but could be confusing if you don't constantly refer to the map. The objective of this mission was the earn enough money (which is some local currency) to pay the ransom of a guy that was captured. The obstacles in your way were the local gang collecting tolls, a corrupt police officer, and trying to earn enough money so that you can also eat, sleep, repair the vechicle and fuel the vehicle.

2. Become a rock star - As a representative for a specific planet, I was given the mission to enter some sort of competition, so the objective of the mission was to put a band together, get some practice time in and then proceed with the show with you making the choices on how you want to perform. If you succeed, you get a nice little trophy, experience and cash money.

3. Become a top chef - This one was a little tricky. You basically have to try to become one of the top pizza maker in this competition. The difficultly came when you had to satisfy 5 judges from different races to judge your pizza favorably.

4. Manage a group of office geeks through a semi Olympic competition - This one is quite funny. You become a coach for a geek Olympic team, but you know nothing about them. So you spend the days before competition trying to figure where you could best utilize each person in the competition by testing them out. However there are only so many times you can try to figure it out.

5. Locate a wanted man - This was the most recent one I did and the easiest one. You drop down on a planet, try to locate the enemy and destroy the base without getting the enemy killed.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #202
WrongWay
Banned

Q: Is there any quick way to cycle through the planets in a system?

Or, what is the quickest way to find a particular planet in a system?

Last edited by WrongWay : 10-02-2005 at 08:41 AM.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #203
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Q: Is there any quick way to cycle through the planets in a system?

Or, what is the quickest way to find a particular planet in a system?

Yes, hold the mouse over the sun in that system and a mouse over with alittle planetary chart will pop up. Just click on the sun in yuor upper left hand corner radar and it will take you right to the sun in that system you are in.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:47 AM   #204
WrongWay
Banned

No, thats not exactly what I wanted to ask.

What is the quickest way to find a planet in a system. Rather than just clicking the mini map and then rolling over to the main map to identify each and every planet in the sytem, is there anyway to quickly move from one planet to the another, to anothert, some type of next key?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #205
tategter
High School JV

Quote:
No, thats not exactly what I wanted to ask.

What is the quickest way to find a planet in a system. Rather than just clicking the mini map and then rolling over to the main map to identify each and every planet in the sytem, is there anyway to quickly move from one planet to the another, to anothert, some type of next key?

Not that I have found. Usually there are only a few planets of each race (plus uninhabited) in each system, so going through them only takes a few seconds.
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #206
WrongWay
Banned

Are you as drugged up as I am? Now that I have found out about all the drugs in the game I keep my Pilot blitzed out of his mind 24/7. I am always looking for that next fix, needing to know excatly how far away I am from a good dearler. Besides the occasional rehabs I say shoot him up till his eyes bleed.

My favorite is the Dust. Gives my Pilot a nice overall buzz.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #207
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you as drugged up as I am? Now that I have found out about all the drugs in the game I keep my Pilot blitzed out of his mind 24/7. I am always looking for that next fix, needing to know excatly how far away I am from a good dearler. Besides the occasional rehabs I say shoot him up till his eyes bleed.

My favorite is the Dust. Gives my Pilot a nice overall buzz.

Are you living a life through your virtual character?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #208
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Had my first text mission...a prison episode that lasted 87 days. It got a bit monotonous, but then of course I had to run through it three times since I got my head stuffed into a toilet until I suffocated the first time (the failed "suck up to the guards and administration" strategy, which collapsed when someone planted heroin under my cot), and then got beaten to death the second time (the failed "train a cockroach" strategy). I finally went for the fist-fighting angle and won my freedom.

Geez, sometimes it gets wild when you piss off a planet. I popped into a system to access a Ranger Center, and promptly had three Maloq battleships chasing me down. The little numbers indicating damage taken to my ship were coming so fast they overlapped. I turned and fled back through the hyperjump tunnel just as around a dozen missiles impacted on my ass. I had 3 hull points left when I emerged in the new system!

I have a hard time ignoring yellow dots on the map (equipment or pieces of asteroid). I can't count how many days I've wasted running it down.

Great game.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:11 PM   #209
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Dammit. I've been trying to hold back on this one, but I may have to give in.

At least my birthday is next week, so I'll have a good excuse.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #210
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Fonzie, from the PC Game Impressions forum, Game Sale/Trade thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe
Also, I've grown bored of Space Rangers 2.

Both free to a good home. First to PM me with an address will get the games delivered to their door via UPS. I do a lot of eBay selling so it's no big thing to go there.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #211
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar

Thanks for the head's up! I've sent him a PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 PM   #212
Calis
College Starter

Ok, I just got a hold of this game Monday after being sick to death of hearing about how great it was.

I'm having a blast with it, although I've spent most my time in prison, but I make a pretty tidy sum while I'm in there cardsharking, so I'm not complaining.

I do have a question though, something that I'm sure isn't very hard but is really annoying the piss out of me right now...that's the Ski Resort text quest. I'm constantly running out of cash, so what strategery have people been using on this one? I find myself going pretty well and suddenly plummeting to zero cash or popularity.

I'll keep plugging away at it, but for some reason this is just one of those things that is stumping me, and I refuse to give up.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:58 PM   #213
Calis
College Starter

Scratch that folks, I knew once I actually wrote out the message I'd figure it out right after, seems to be the way it works.

I passed with flying colors.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #214
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Ok, I just got a hold of this game Monday after being sick to death of hearing about how great it was.

I'm having a blast with it, although I've spent most my time in prison, but I make a pretty tidy sum while I'm in there cardsharking, so I'm not complaining.

I do have a question though, something that I'm sure isn't very hard but is really annoying the piss out of me right now...that's the Ski Resort text quest. I'm constantly running out of cash, so what strategery have people been using on this one? I find myself going pretty well and suddenly plummeting to zero cash or popularity.

I'll keep plugging away at it, but for some reason this is just one of those things that is stumping me, and I refuse to give up.

In regards to the ski resort text quest, always make sure you have enough rooms and enough ramps for all the people to use. This increases the popularity gradually. I only used the advertising when I had way more rooms than people. Once I was close to way I could accomodate, I did not use adverstising until I made more ramps and rooms. I hope this makes sense.

By the way, there will be an opportunity to increase your profit at the end with no time limit if you choose to do so.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 PM   #215
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Scratch that folks, I knew once I actually wrote out the message I'd figure it out right after, seems to be the way it works.

I passed with flying colors.

Darn it, too late.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:04 PM   #216
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Darn it, too late.

Heh, thanks anyway. Once I got over the hump it is easy running. I took the extra challenge and that was real simple.

No clue why I made it so difficult.

I will greatly enjoy the 10,000 credits the bonus earned me though. Time for a new hull.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:33 AM   #217
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'm sure this has been noted already, but don't forget to sell your Dominator relics at a science base for research. Man, I picked up a resonator worth 45000 credits and they gave me full value for it. Often you can get double price.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:06 AM   #218
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm sure this has been noted already, but don't forget to sell your Dominator relics at a science base for research. Man, I picked up a resonator worth 45000 credits and they gave me full value for it. Often you can get double price.

Huh, thanks for the tip. I just recently got enough cargo room to pick up some of those heavy relics with my new hull. I have been selling to the local planets and didn't even think of science bases.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:23 AM   #219
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Another related tip when salvaging Dominator nodes and relics: if a science base isn't close by, just stash all your stuff on the closest friendly planet and then make runs back and forth to the science base whenever convenient.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:17 AM   #220
WrongWay
Banned

Beating the high price of repairs for your special artifacts.

Those $5,000 repair bills are killing me. Is it better to not use those little extras? Maybe I just need to learn to use them only when I need them and not all the time.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:30 AM   #221
WrongWay
Banned

For anyone still sitting on the fence GoGamer is having a 48 hour madness sale for $27.90
Old 10-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #222
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Got a little pissed off at this game last night (although after the Cardinals lost and an agonizing WSU OT loss I was in a foul mood already).

Military is gearing up to take on a Dominator system, and I'm primed to go with them. There are several "hostile" battleships in the armada, but they ignore me while we are staging in the neighboring system, so I think "Cool, we are setting aside our differences to attack the common foe." Well, we warp over to the Dominator system and enter the fray, and one of the hostile bitches starts zapping me in the middle of the battle! So I sent a few salvos of missiles his way, grabbed some nodes, and abandoned the bastards to their fate.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #223
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Got a little pissed off at this game last night (although after the Cardinals lost and an agonizing WSU OT loss I was in a foul mood already).

Military is gearing up to take on a Dominator system, and I'm primed to go with them. There are several "hostile" battleships in the armada, but they ignore me while we are staging in the neighboring system, so I think "Cool, we are setting aside our differences to attack the common foe." Well, we warp over to the Dominator system and enter the fray, and one of the hostile bitches starts zapping me in the middle of the battle! So I sent a few salvos of missiles his way, grabbed some nodes, and abandoned the bastards to their fate.

That's funny. I have never seen that, but I have had a number of hostile battleships after me.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #224
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:

BTW, Sidhe was in fact kind enough to give me his copy of SR2. I just installed it last night - and DAMN this looks like an amazing game.

Anyway, I want to publicly thank both Sidhe for sending the game to me and you, Coug, for alerting me to his post.

My wife, on the other hand, is not so happy with either of you.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #225
Calis
College Starter

Man I've been working on another text quest, one for the Faeyians I believe, can't remember the name, but some sort of tournament they send you to..some Eulanian or something. The one where they give you three options, and a rule that you don't know, and you have to figure out the next in the sequence, the Big Blue Circle, small yellow lozenge thing.

It's killing me, I do fine and keep on screwing up on the 3rd round, or I'll accidently click on continue too many times and get one wrong. Doesn't seem like you have a chance to win if you make over one mistake.

It's fun though.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #226
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Man I've been working on another text quest, one for the Faeyians I believe, can't remember the name, but some sort of tournament they send you to..some Eulanian or something. The one where they give you three options, and a rule that you don't know, and you have to figure out the next in the sequence, the Big Blue Circle, small yellow lozenge thing.

It's killing me, I do fine and keep on screwing up on the 3rd round, or I'll accidently click on continue too many times and get one wrong. Doesn't seem like you have a chance to win if you make over one mistake.

It's fun though.

Oh, I just got that puzzle a couple of days ago. That one was killing me. It's one of those logic puzzles. The first round is where you have to solve one similar variable. The second round is where you have to solve two and the third round is 3. It took me about 2 frickin hours (straight) to eventually figure out that puzzle, but the money was very good. That goodness my charisma is almost to the max because you can earn a lot of money at that point (right now I gain 80% more on the reward).
Old 10-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #227
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Oh, I just got that puzzle a couple of days ago. That one was killing me. It's one of those logic puzzles. The first round is where you have to solve one similar variable. The second round is where you have to solve two and the third round is 3. It took me about 2 frickin hours (straight) to eventually figure out that puzzle, but the money was very good. That goodness my charisma is almost to the max because you can earn a lot of money at that point (right now I gain 80% more on the reward).

I found it was much easier to do when I wrote down all the possible answers in rounds two and three. The unselected incorrect answers in the early steps helped me figure out the correct answers in the later steps. Once I kept track of all the possible answers, I think I got it in about three attemps. Didn't get it in about 50 attempts before that.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:20 PM   #228
Blade6119
Coordinator

This is on 48 hour madness over at go gamer for $27...is it worth the purchase or is it more of a week of fun then move on?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #229
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
This is on 48 hour madness over at go gamer for $27...is it worth the purchase or is it more of a week of fun then move on?

If you are into turn space trading/combat type games, then this is definitely a buy. However this one has a number of mini games within it that make it much more interesting than the other ones. Not only do you have a turn based space combat, but there is text based games, real time combat (on planets --- optional), and arcade type combat (black holes --- optional).

The usual missions in the turn based area consist of transporting cargo, tracking down and taking out a ship, protecting a ship, liberating a system, taking out pirates, etc.

The text based missions are really neat, because they can range anywhere from trying to win first place in some sort of tournament, completing something before times runs out, managing a team to victory, etc. I have yet to discover all the text based missions, but the ones I have done have been really neat.

In the real of real time combat, some of the people here have optioned not to try these. I happen to like it, but it does take some time and you can't save in the middle of these. You take control of a number of robots that you can customize based on the materials you have. The objective for all of these type missions is to take over the entire area. What is neat is that you can actually take control of any of the robots at any time as it zoom into a first person perspective.

The arcade type combat is one that I don't do too often because it requires too much manual control for my liking. Whenever you enter one of those black holes, your objective is to take out all the ships that exist on the other side. However you control the ship with the arrow keys and fire using the control keys. I have succeeded in a few of these, but I usually get blasted to death more times than I want to admit.

While saying all the crap above, there are a number of other thing to do in this game that deals with ship customation, locating lost artifacts on planets, improving your rank. So in my opinion, this is a groundbreaking game due to the fact that it was able to combine all these different playing styles successfully into one game.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #230
Blade6119
Coordinator

very interesting...thank you kindly for the lengthy response and ill think ill go check it out. Thank you again my local buddy
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #231
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
very interesting...thank you kindly for the lengthy response and ill think ill go check it out. Thank you again my local buddy

No problem...I thought I may actually burn out on this game at some point, but I still find myself going back to it. The things that bring me back are building a better ship, getting a better rank and discovering little gems in the game.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #232
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Okay, I've got a quest that is driving me batshit.

I'm supposed to repair a "DND player" by discovering some nonsense about "overlays" which can be discerned from the color of the keys on a standard 9-key numeric pad, or some such. I honestly cannot understand the instructions to this one - something has been lost in translation (at least for me). Does anybody know what you're supposed to do with this?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:22 PM   #233
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie

I'm supposed to repair a "DND player" by discovering some nonsense about "overlays" which can be discerned from the color of the keys on a standard 9-key numeric pad, or some such. I honestly cannot understand the instructions to this one - something has been lost in translation (at least for me). Does anybody know what you're supposed to do with this?

I vaguely remember that one since it was one of my earlier text missions. I remember it having to do with a 4X4 square and some sort of horizontal line. All I recall is that the numbers 2 and 8 seemed to have worked. I think.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:22 AM   #234
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:

That's a perfect example of some of the bad translation in the game. The hard part of that mission is figuring out the messed up instructions. It wasn't until I solved the problem that I figured out what I was supposed to do.

I think Antmeister is correct in that it had something to do with 2 & 8.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #235
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Yep - I tried it again last night and 2 & 8 were the correct solution. Once I hit on the solution the instructions (or what the instructions were intending to say) became clear. One "overlay" is a 2 x 2 square and is colored black, the other "overlay" is a vertical line and also colored black. All other squares are colored white. The goal is to determine which of the two overlays is on this DND.

Anyway, thanks for your input guys!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:02 PM   #236
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yep - I tried it again last night and 2 & 8 were the correct solution. Once I hit on the solution the instructions (or what the instructions were intending to say) became clear. One "overlay" is a 2 x 2 square and is colored black, the other "overlay" is a vertical line and also colored black. All other squares are colored white. The goal is to determine which of the two overlays is on this DND.

Anyway, thanks for your input guys!

Great...I was a little off. I said 4 x 4 square and horizontal line. Well at least 2 and 8 worked though, so my memory isn't totally damaged. I just got a text adventure where I had to run for president. It was quite interesting and took me about 3 tries before I eventually won. And it is really worth boosting that charisma because I have doubled the award since my charisma is at its max.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #237
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

My favorite text mission so far has been an underwater rescue mission using a deep water submersible. Had to mesh x/y coordinates with thrust, down/up speed, and limited ballast and oxygen. Pretty cool.

But I've done the prison one twice and am already bored with it. Crime does not pay.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #238
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
My favorite text mission so far has been an underwater rescue mission using a deep water submersible. Had to mesh x/y coordinates with thrust, down/up speed, and limited ballast and oxygen. Pretty cool.

But I've done the prison one twice and am already bored with it. Crime does not pay.

That is a cool one. Especially when you had to take into account the water current and that sea creature. My other favorite one is when you have to save this hostage by paying for his ransom, but the only problem was that you had to earn the local currency in a limited amount of days to pay for this ransom in a corrupt town where you couldn't even sleep outside in your vehicle.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 AM   #239
WrongWay
Banned

Does anyone know if there is a Patch out for this game yet?

I have had some game crashes and twice I have recieved a box message saying something like "not to worry we know about this bug"? Happened during a realtime ground combat mode. Not a major problem with the autosave, but it did waste about an hour of my time each crash.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #240
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

???

hxxp://pc.ign.com/objects/679/679595.html

Release date March 16, 2006?? This the American release or ?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #241
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
???

Excellent..

I've been wondering why it wasn't released in the U.S. at all.. when i get my new computer I'll have this game and Spore...when that one comes out later in the year.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #242
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
???

Yeah, that's confusing, I bought mines from Fry's Electronics last year. Is this a new titlle or something released only for America?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:02 AM   #243
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that's confusing, I bought mines from Fry's Electronics last year. Is this a new titlle or something released only for America?

It's the US version, what you bought was the import version.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #244
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

direct 2 drive now has the game for those who still are wanting this game..
Old 05-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #245
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

DL version doesn't have Starforce, does it?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #246
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #247
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
DL version doesn't have Starforce, does it?

As far as I can tell it does not have Starforce. There certainly wasn't any warning about Starforce when I bought it, and it has been playing very well and hasn't messed up my DVD-RW drive. From what I read on here, someone posted that it did not have Starforce which is why I bought from D2D.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #248
Schmidty
Coordinator

I just bought the US version from Best Buy, but now I'm hearing that it might have Starforce. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #249
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I just bought the US version from Best Buy, but now I'm hearing that it might have Starforce. Can anyone confirm that?

The one you purchase from Best Buy does have Star Force. The Download version for the US does not.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #250
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Been playing the game since I could get it D2D (no Starforce!) and, just to echo a lot of people here, the game is awesome.

My first career, I had finally gotten some decent weapons on my ship, and a little bit of experience. Even killed my first dominator. Then, I was running a mission and was simply passing through one system or another--and got totally smoked by three dominators that were waiting there after what appeared to be a huge battle (based on the amount of debris there). So I died.

But I picked right back up with a new career--trying to focus more on ship building and fighting this time than trading. Looking forward to it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote