Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #201
sabotai
General Manager

I started off with a Rogue, but like others have said, it's pretty underpowered. I did specialize in Ranger, and summoning a Wolf (then Bear, then Spider) was cool and added some power.

I decided to go with my Mage though. My evil, total bitch of an elf mage. Pretty fun answering every question with an attitude.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #202
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I decided to go with my Mage though. My evil, total bitch of an elf mage. Pretty fun answering every question with an attitude.

Assuming your elf mage is a female, sounds like you are playing the same character as me.

Bet mine is hotter though.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #203
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Assuming your elf mage is a female, sounds like you are playing the same character as me.

Probably. The lighting is kinda bad during character creation. I created a mega-red-headed-hottie, but once she was put into the world....oops a few details.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #204
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

She can't beat my Laura (female elf mage hotness).

Last edited by KWhit : 11-10-2009 at 07:57 AM.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #205
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting to see so many female elf mages. I almost always play these games as a mage, but rarely as an elf and almost never female. For some reason I chose female elf mage for this game. Apparently that was a popular pick.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #206
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Interesting to see so many female elf mages.

That is because deep down, we are all geeks that want to bang a female elf.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #207
Calis
College Starter

Weird, I also picked Female Elf Mage, and all three of those choices are unusual for me.

Who are people finding as their favorite NPC so far, either personality or combat-wise?

I'm liking Shale a fair amount although I'm not using him often. The problem is I only use 1 tank and that's defaulted to Alistair because he is basically the designated partymember. Shale is definitely evoking the personality of HK-47 and has some pretty great lines. He is also a wrecking machine. I mostly only use him when I'm doing sidequests and not advancing the story.

Alistair is growing on me a little. I've got him decked out in a full set of Dragon Armor and wielding this Meteor Sword I had made and he is working very well as a meatshield.

I don't like Morrigan. I keep using her to have a 2nd Mage but I'm not a fan.
Sten I basically haven't used. He just doesn't appeal to me. I will try him out more in a 2nd runthrough.

I have the two rogues as well and I usually bring one of them along, depending on the situation. They're both decent dialog and combat-wise.

Another thing I'm loving is the way the origin story keeps reappearing throughout. I'm not sure how much it will keep doing this, but I've had the mage origin pop back up several times. It is really well done and I'm impressed with how specific some of the dialog is. I can't imagine how much work and how many lines are in this game.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #208
BYU 14
Coordinator

I like Alistair the most so far, though Morrigan has grown on me in the way a mongrel dog does. She is a royal bitch and negative about everything, but still fascinates me, mostly because I keep thinking I am going to break through and soften her up I guess.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #209
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is because deep down, we are all geeks that want to bang a female elf.

Wouldn't that be a reason to make a male elf? I've got a male elf mage who is morphing more into a lawful good character. My next character will probably be evil. I've never played a female character in RP games, but I might try one in this game eventually.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #210
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm not very far into the game, but I am really enjoying the interplay of Morrigan and Alistair. Alistair's one-liners are great - I particularly enjoyed the exchange between the two of them when talking to the young girl who's brother is lost in Redcliffe Village.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #211
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
She can't beat my Laura (female elf mage hotness).

There must be some type of female elf mage handbook that says they must look similar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg character cropped.JPG (60.7 KB, 459 views)
Old 11-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #212
BYU 14
Coordinator

The Fade

Spoiler
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #213
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
The Fade

Spoiler

Spoiler

Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #214
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Wouldn't that be a reason to make a male elf?

Male elves are still female elves.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #215
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Has anyone found enchanting useful at all? I have tons of exotic magical items but everytime I try to get something enchanted it tells me I have no items that can be enchanted. So I have to question the inclusion of the system when, it seems, no item in the game can actually be enchanted.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #216
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Damn. Took me almost an hour to finish the "Gauntlet" puzzle. I feel so incompetent.

This was the first/only time I've intentionally looked for a spoiler so far.

Spoiler
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #217
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Has anyone found enchanting useful at all? I have tons of exotic magical items but everytime I try to get something enchanted it tells me I have no items that can be enchanted. So I have to question the inclusion of the system when, it seems, no item in the game can actually be enchanted.

I've gotten a few drops that I could enchant. Look for empty squares at the bottom of a weapon's description popup, where it tells you its stats, etc. Think socketing in WoW.

I just stuck a "Master Paralysis" enchant on a badass 2h great axe I found for Sten, I haven't gone out and fought anything with it yet though.

Last edited by Radii : 11-11-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #218
Celeval
Pro Starter

Is it safe to say that if you can run the character creator without issue, you'll be able to run the game without issue (in terms of graphics)?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #219
Calis
College Starter

I've enchanted several weapons and it can make a pretty massive difference. Alistair is using a sword forged out of Meteor(think this is specific to Warden's Keep) and it has 3 enchantment slots that I've filled with Master Lightning. Zevran has daggers filled with stun and slow enchants.

There aren't a ton of enchantable items, but I have 5 or 6. Like mentioned, just look for the empty squares.

As for the character creator I wouldn't think that would equate to the game at all. There's one model on the screen doing nothing, and fights can get pretty large and intensive. If you're asking in general if it will even start, then its probably a decent bet it will.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #220
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
As for the character creator I wouldn't think that would equate to the game at all. There's one model on the screen doing nothing, and fights can get pretty large and intensive. If you're asking in general if it will even start, then its probably a decent bet it will.

That's basically it. The machine I'd be playing on if (when) I eventually pick this up is reasonably robust CPU/RAM wise, but it's essentially a business laptop so the video card leaves something to be desired.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #221
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Finally took some time to dive into the game tonight... oh man, I can already tell this is one is going to seriously eat away some time. Those who were saying the story is inspired by George RR Martin were obviously not joking.

Anyone playing the human noble origin story catch the Colbert "truthiness" reference? I got a chuckle out of it.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #222
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Female elves have that grapes of wrath 1000 yard stare and slightly withered look.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #223
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Female elves have that grapes of wrath 1000 yard stare and slightly withered look.

Considering that elves in this game are more or less Okies anyway...
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #224
aran
High School Varsity

I started up a human mage. Wow is the game easier than it was with my elf archer. It's absolutely ridiculous. I went down the ice branch of the primal tree. Cone of Frost is so great. I open most battles with it to devastating effect.

Most of the time, i can stunlock enemies for the entire battle and maybe take 20 combined points of damage. If I have to heal, I can cast a quick heal spell. I have only used on lesser poultice when I was out of mana. Aside from that, it's been a bit easier. It's also more fun to play a mage. Much more tactical than just shooting a bow at stuff. Managing mana leads to some interesting spellcasting decisions.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #225
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I beat it last night as an elf mage.

I told my fiance that I can't wait for this weekend to play it straight through again.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #226
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I beat it last night as an elf mage.

I told my fiance that I can't wait for this weekend to play it straight through again.

I see Rosie Palm and her five sisters in someones near future
Old 11-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #227
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Is there any purpose to gemstones, private documents and vellum or should I sell them?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #228
sabotai
General Manager

I just sell them. I have not found any way to actually use them. I'm thinking the devs put in "useless" stuff like that so that MOD makers could make use of them (but I have not seen much of the game yet so there might be some use for them at some point).
Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #229
Calis
College Starter

Well I can say at least with the gems I'd try to keep them if you can afford the space. It isn't game critical but there are quests involving some of them.

Of course I sold everything also. I'm not sure on the other items.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #230
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Here was my unintentionally creative way to survive the onslaught at Redcliffe Village

Spoiler
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #231
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Here was my unintentionally creative way to survive the onslaught at Redcliffe Village

Spoiler

Spoiler

Old 11-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #232
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Considering that elves in this game are more or less Okies anyway...

I should have figured a Texan would say that..lol
Old 11-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #233
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

So, for those who own it.. 2 gigs of ram with vista enough?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #234
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I think the game has a memory leak somewhere. I'm far into the game and my CPU usage is constantly at 100%, threatening to overheat my CPU.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #235
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:

I don't think 2 gigs is enough to just run Vista

I have 8 gigs of RAM, so I honestly couldn't tell you.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)

Last edited by ShaneTheMaster : 11-13-2009 at 10:40 AM.
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #236
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I think the game has a memory leak somewhere. I'm far into the game and my CPU usage is constantly at 100%, threatening to overheat my CPU.

I am pretty sure it does but I find that saving and closing the game to desktop after a few hours and then restarting helps. If you notice the loading screens take longer and longer a you go along but restarting the game worked well enough for me.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #237
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Wish I was further along. Blah.

Morrigan really warms up to you when you do the rough stuff.. like when I threatened the Reverend Mother. Allistair's approval dropped 13 points while Morrigan went up.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #238
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I have 2 gigs of RAM and running Vista and it runs smoothly for me.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #239
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -apoc- View Post
I am pretty sure it does but I find that saving and closing the game to desktop after a few hours and then restarting helps. If you notice the loading screens take longer and longer a you go along but restarting the game worked well enough for me.

I have resorted to allocating only one core for the game. Less heat.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #240
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Starting to be some nice little mods popping out to change things a bit. The most important one imo is the one that fixes daggers to base damage 50/50 on Str/Dex rather than only strength as it does now. This will go a long ways towards making rogues less gimpy. It also mods shortbows to be dex-based as well so they're not completely useless.

The downside is this goes for enemies as well, so you can expect archer and rogue enemies to be significantly tougher. I'm ok with that though and think I will use this one.

I've also seen one that maxes out your inventory space if you're not a fan of the limit and the exorbitant costs of backpacks. Also one that adds a chest to store things in your camp.

Also one that gives you 25 tactics slots for characters which I'm contemplating. Be nice to set-up some more intricate AI.

As for difficulty I'm oddly finding it a little easier post-Redcliff. Might just be that the characters really start to come in their own when you hit level 10+. I can't drag myself away from a 2 Mage/1 Tank/1 Rogue party though, so I feel like I'm missing out on some good party interactions. I'm not particularly fond of Morrigan also so I hope to find another Mage soon.

The game almost seems like it would really benefit from a 5 person party. That would allow you a lot more room to customize your party and would alleviate most of the difficulty issues. Maybe make the dog a pet rather than a party member. Obviously that'd create a whole new set of balance issues, but I would have loved to see it. I'm not sure if something along those lines could be modded. Seems like that would break a lot of things, but these modders are crafty.

Have you (or anyone) added these mods midway through the game and if so has it caused any issues with the campaign? I foolishly didn't buy the first backpack that was available for sale (which was relatively cheap) and am now facing a 7 gold 50 silver charge for the 2nd backpack available. That would eat most of my money and has me considering either the chest or backpack mod. Plus, I want to use the dagger/bow damage fix.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #241
Calis
College Starter

Yep. I've actually put in quite a few mods midway through my game. I'm using the backpack mod, the chest in party camp, the tactic slot upgrade, the str/dex fix, and I even used a respec mod so I could respect some of the NPC's who have some oddball skill selections defined when you get them.

I haven't ran into any issues yet. I think you have to be careful about removing them before patching the game again though. Some of the mods won't take effect until you level or some sort of trigger, but no problem using midway through.

Last edited by Calis : 11-15-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #242
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

So the game runs on a normal pc ok? My video card is only a GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #243
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
So the game runs on a normal pc ok? My video card is only a GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB.

That's what I have and I can run on medium settings fine. Only occasionally do I see any lag.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #244
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep. I've actually put in quite a few mods midway through my game. I'm using the backpack mod, the chest in party camp, the tactic slot upgrade, the str/dex fix, and I even used a respec mod so I could respect some of the NPC's who have some oddball skill selections defined when you get them.

I haven't ran into any issues yet. I think you have to be careful about removing them before patching the game again though. Some of the mods won't take effect until you level or some sort of trigger, but no problem using midway through.

Any chance you remember who created the backpack mod or where the mod is? I found one that says it give several backpack choices (20, 25, or more per backpack) but there doesn't seem to be an actual file attached to that thread.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #245
Calis
College Starter

http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/mods/easy_mod

This one is a little more complicated than just dropping a file in, you have to enable the console and type in a command but it's pretty straightforward and all explained on the site there. It basically just maxes out your backpack to 125 so buying any of the backpacks in-game will not increase the limit.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #246
Radii
Head Coach

I just finished the game, I almost never replay games such as this, I'll probably read a bunch of spoiler site info on the various decision points. Some outstandingly tough decisions to make all the way to the end, and a great ending all around IMO. I'll have to let it sit awhile before declaring it the game of the decade, but it's got to be in contention.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #247
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That's what I have and I can run on medium settings fine. Only occasionally do I see any lag.

Thanks!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #248
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I just finished the game, I almost never replay games such as this, I'll probably read a bunch of spoiler site info on the various decision points. Some outstandingly tough decisions to make all the way to the end, and a great ending all around IMO. I'll have to let it sit awhile before declaring it the game of the decade, but it's got to be in contention.

How many hours did it take you to beat it? Did you do a lot of the side quest? I have 17 hours in and I feel I'm just breaking the surface...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #249
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
How many hours did it take you to beat it? Did you do a lot of the side quest? I have 17 hours in and I feel I'm just breaking the surface...

Steam says I played 63 hours. I didn't backtrack for many sidequests, so if I was in a zone I would spend as long as it took to do a sidequest but if a sidequest sent me to Redcliffe and I was already done in Redcliffe I didn't bother to go back.

I suspect I could have spent another 10-15 hours on sidequests.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #250
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Just finished the Redcliffe onsalught and I'm hard pressed to thing of an RPG battle that had me more on the edge of my seat. I'd already wiped once and it seemed like it was inevitable again, but with my mage down and only a few healing potions left I finally stemmed the tide. Loving this game.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote