Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #201
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Wings need to stay out of the box and limit the sloppy play through the neutral zone, especially if we end up playing San Jose next. They have guys who can actually make us pay as opposed to the Jets. Our PK needs to step it up as well.

Freudian slip?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #202
bbor
Pro Starter

Another terrible game by Boston so far.These fuckin guys don't show up often.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #203
bhlloy
Coordinator

All this talk about the Coyotes moving back to Winnipeg has got me thinking whether Bettman might use expansion as a way of keeping his franchise in Phoenix (and Atlanta in a couple of years when that gets to be an issue)

Honestly I think of all the major sports hockey is the most conducive. For a start, a team is 25-30 guys with at least 22 or 23 of those guys contributing on a regular night. The average skill level of a third.fourth liner in the NHL isn't that much higher than the skill level of the average AHL first liner and many teams have exciting young players in the AHL who they bring up as soon as the rosters expand. And hockey is by far the cheapest game in terms of owning a franchise and paying the players. Compare that to football where the cost of just building a stadium is enormous and injuries are on the rise every year, or baseball where there seem to be very few replacement level guys in AAA, or basketball where it's all about the stars and even 9th or 10th guys on the bench of an average team are pretty much scrubs. Call me crazy but I don't think expanding by another two teams would dilute the league that much. I bet I could build a team of guys in the AHL at the roster expansion this year that wouldn't finish last in the entire NHL.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #204
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just to make it clear I'm not arguing for it - I'd pull those teams out of Phoenix and Atlanta and move them back to a traditional market in a heartbeat. I'm stoked about the possibility of a team in Winnipeg next year. But just trying to think if Bettman is as stubborn as we think he is, and uses future expansion as a way to stave this off - is it really the worst thing ever?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #205
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Hard to know. Winnipeg is the NHL equivalent of the NFL's Los Angeles. As long as it's open, it's a weapon in the NHL arsenal against cities reluctant to meet their wishes (granted, the same could be said about Quebec, but the arena's already built in Winnipeg).
Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #206
Galaxy
Coordinator

Another emotional, physical game (with the end-of-the game "scrum") last night in Buffalo.

I like how the Philly players are whining about the refs today. Hey Richards, don't elbow the guy in face that you clearly saw coming at you.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-21-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #207
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Another terrible game by Boston so far.These fuckin guys don't show up often.

I'm blaming you.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #208
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

In the regular season thread I applauded Ference for being a stand-up guy.

After his salute to the fans after scoring his first playoff goal in something like 3 seasons, I take it back.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #209
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I'm blaming you.

Anyone else need me to fire up their teams?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #210
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Anyone else need me to fire up their teams?

How about the Canucks?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #211
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Winnipeg is the NHL equivalent of the NFL's Los Angeles.

More like the equivalent of Toledo, but that might be considered quibbling.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #212
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
How about the Canucks?

No kidding eh?

10 GA in 1 1/2 games??

Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #213
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Another emotional, physical game (with the end-of-the game "scrum") last night in Buffalo.

I like how the Philly players are whining about the refs today. Hey Richards, don't elbow the guy in face that you clearly saw coming at you.

Maybe Ryan Miller should have kicked Carcillo a few more times. Or how about Kaleta opening the bench door so one of your Sabers can knock Zherdev into the bench. Please don't whine (like another Sabers fan) about the end of the game scrum when this BS happened during the game.

I will not argue that Richards deserved a penalty for his actions, but not 5 minutes. Say all you want about the win last night, and you guys won...but you held on for dear life in that third period.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #214
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
More like the equivalent of Toledo, but that might be considered quibbling.

What?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #215
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Maybe Ryan Miller should have kicked Carcillo a few more times. Or how about Kaleta opening the bench door so one of your Sabers can knock Zherdev into the bench. Please don't whine (like another Sabers fan) about the end of the game scrum when this BS happened during the game.

I will not argue that Richards deserved a penalty for his actions, but not 5 minutes. Say all you want about the win last night, and you guys won...but you held on for dear life in that third period.

(I do agree with you on that it should of been 2, not 5. But that didn't matter in the end. It just a great performance by Miller.)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #216
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Miller played a great game in both Game 1 and Game 4. Sabers did a good job packing it in and blocking shots.

How about the Blackhawks...won last game 7-2 and now up 4-0 on Vancouver in the 2nd.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-21-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #217
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #218
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Lessee, that's 12-2 just for one game and not even half of another? It's still an unlikely proposition for Chicago to come all the way back, but the Canuck fans are probably starting to get a little twitchy at this point.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #219
bronconick
College Starter

All I can hear in GM Place is the music of Chelsea Dagger getting louder and louder. I think it's coming out of Luongo's head. I think Vancouver's going to have to win a 6-5 game to close this out.

Last edited by bronconick : 04-21-2011 at 10:26 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #220
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Miller played a great game in both Game 1 and Game 4. Sabers did a good job packing it in and blocking shots.

How about the Blackhawks...won last game 7-2 and now up 4-0 on Vancouver in the 2nd.

The Sabres-Flyers game series has been a weird series to me. Each game has a different flavor it, but still with the emotional and physical aspects to it. And Hartnell, Carricollo, and Richards, Timonen (sticking Gerbe in the nuts after the game) certainly have had their moments like our guys. So don't whine about our guys when your guys are just as cheap and dirty.

Wasn't whining. I was laughing at the Flyers' players whining. Both teams have had their share of crappy refs in the series, but Philly certainly had their chances yesterday (Briere 1-on-1).

I do agree that the bandwagon Sabres' fans annoy the crap out of me. You should of heard the local sports radio show the day after Game 3. They were complaining about Miller and how Enroth should start.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-22-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #221
Galaxy
Coordinator

Dola...

Vancouver seems lost. What the heck is going on.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #222
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Dola...

Vancouver seems lost. What the heck is going on.

Luongo is what's going on. He is a proven playoff failure, doesn't have the mental attributes needed to succeed at that level. He is the classic "great regular season but flops in the playoffs goalie." You can see that the rest of the team has lost confidence in him right now, and something isn't done quickly, they may end up blowing that 3-0 series lead in a big way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #223
samifan24
Pro Starter

Nice of the Bruins to finally look like they give a damn. Leave it to Michael Ryder and Chris Kelly, two non traditional sources of offense this season, to pick up the slack late in the game. We got ourselves a series now.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #224
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Luongo is what's going on. He is a proven playoff failure, doesn't have the mental attributes needed to succeed at that level. He is the classic "great regular season but flops in the playoffs goalie." You can see that the rest of the team has lost confidence in him right now, and something isn't done quickly, they may end up blowing that 3-0 series lead in a big way.

Oh shut the fuck up with this bullshit. He's performed at big stages.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #225
Galaxy
Coordinator

I love hockey and the passionate fans.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #226
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Oh shut the fuck up with this bullshit. He's performed at big stages.

If you're really going to play the "He won a Gold Medal" card, I have two words for you.

Antero Niittymaki.

He didn't need literal home ice to do it, either.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #227
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
The Sabres-Flyers game series has been a weird series to me. Each game has a different flavor it, but still with the emotional and physical aspects to it. And Hartnell, Carricollo, and Richards, Timonen (sticking Gerbe in the nuts after the game) certainly have had their moments like our guys. So don't whine about our guys when your guys are just as cheap and dirty.

Wasn't whining. I was laughing at the Flyers' players whining. Both teams have had their share of crappy refs in the series, but Philly certainly had their chances yesterday (Briere 1-on-1).

I do agree that the bandwagon Sabres' fans annoy the crap out of me. You should of heard the local sports radio show the day after Game 3. They were complaining about Miller and how Enroth should start.

Video: Patrick Kaleta’s open door policy vs. Flyers is dastardly - Puck Daddy - NHL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Off-topic, but did I hear today that former MLB pitcher Tom Glavine is in an ownership group to buy the Thrashers?

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-22-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #228
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola

After his salute to the fans after scoring his first playoff goal in something like 3 seasons, I take it back.

How long before this becomes a 'History will be made?'

http://youtu.be/1xvNzX_WYgY

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 04-22-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: stupid embedding
Old 04-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #229
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I was just merely pointing out that the Flyers players just didn't do this out of the blue...there were cheap shots by Buffalo too.

You are right, Flyers had tons of chances and didn't convert.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #230
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola

The best thing about this is that Ference's excuse was that his glove got stuck like that. He said that with a straight face. So, his middle finger got stuck because of his glove and he was just lifting it up to the Montreal faithful in an effort to... fix it? Show them it was stuck?

Oh, Andrew Ference... I have heard more creative and believable lies from 3 year olds. Just man up and accept it like that kid from Michigan did a few weeks ago.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #231
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Off-topic, but did I hear today that former MLB pitcher Tom Glavine is in an ownership group to buy the Thrashers?

I imagine you did hear something like that, but it doesn't seem to be quite that intense.

Glavine could invest to keep Thrashers in Atlanta *| ajc.com
“I am not buying the Thrashers,” the Braves pitching great said Thursday.

Glavine said his main interest is in keeping the Thrashers in Atlanta. And he is willing to do whatever he can — perhaps even becoming a partial investor — to help ensure the city does not lose an NHL franchise for a second time.

“I have a huge interest in hockey and the Thrashers,” Glavine said. “I would hate to see them leave. My kids play hockey. It’s a big part of our lives. We want to be able to keep going to games.

“I’m trying to do whatever I can do to keep the team here. Whether that is putting together a group locally or finding someone from outside the area. Any way my involvement will help, I am willing to do it.”
“To be perfectly honest, I don’t have the money to buy the team,” Glavine said. “I could be an investor. I could go down that road. I’m not saying I will or I will not.”
Old 04-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #232
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I was just merely pointing out that the Flyers players just didn't do this out of the blue...there were cheap shots by Buffalo too.

You are right, Flyers had tons of chances and didn't convert.

Oh okay, I agree that both sides are taking their jabs. Looking forward to tonight.

Is Pronger really coming back tonight? Is he 100%?

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-22-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #233
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The best thing about this is that Ference's excuse was that his glove got stuck like that. He said that with a straight face. So, his middle finger got stuck because of his glove and he was just lifting it up to the Montreal faithful in an effort to... fix it? Show them it was stuck?

Oh, Andrew Ference... I have heard more creative and believable lies from 3 year olds. Just man up and accept it like that kid from Michigan did a few weeks ago.

He probably thought they'd call 9-1-1 and have him arrested.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #234
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh okay, I agree that both sides are taking their jabs. Looking forward to tonight.

Is Pronger really coming back tonight? Is he 100%?

Pronger is not 100% and is not playing tonight. Carter is out, there are reports he sprained his MCL and will be out 10-14 days.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-22-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #235
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Pronger is not 100% and is not playing tonight. Carter is out, there are reports he sprained his MCL and will be out 10-14 days.

This is all part of Bettman's...er I mean Pittsburgh's grand plan. Piece by piece, let the other teams in the East fall apart, then bring Crosby back at 100% health.

Ryan Malone is a wreck in the PIT-TB series. He's been nursing a shoulder injury. He got knocked down in front of the net during game 3, and he was like a turtle on his back, he laid there for what seemed like forever.

Oddly, Pittsburgh has had no inury issues, outside of what they came into the series with. Allow Staal and Talbot each sat out parts of the 3rd period and first OT the other night. Talbot got smacked looking for the puck. Head shot, but legal. Staal went for a hit and ended up head first into the boards.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #236
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Gotta agree with Lindy, where was the Flyers' whining when they got 5000 powerplays in earlier games? oh right...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #237
Galaxy
Coordinator

3-0 Sabres after the 1st. Two weak goals that Boucher let in (who got relieved by Leighton), though good effort by the Sabres in working in their end, and a PP goal that Briere took for goalie inference.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-22-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #238
Galaxy
Coordinator

Dear Sabres' players,

Quit standing around. Thanks.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-22-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #239
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Paraphrasing the old football axiom …

If you've got 3 goaltenders, you really don't have 1.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #240
Logan
Head Coach

Bobby Ryan just scored a ridiculous goal.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #241
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The NHL's Goal Horns, In Order | The Awl
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #242
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Bobby Ryan just scored a ridiculous goal.

Yeah, Legwand loses his stick, but still

What the hell, a week ago using the YT embed code was working...

http://youtu.be/btFBv2u8Nfc

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 04-23-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #243
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

So, yeah, Pens-Bolts game 6 will be Monday night.

Awful effort.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #244
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
DOLA

So, yeah, Pens-Bolts game 6 will be Monday night.

Awful effort.

Just turn on the game (then turning it back off). Yikes.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #245
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow.

7-0 Tampa? Who does Pittsburgh have in net? Luongo?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #246
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow.

7-0 Tampa? Who does Pittsburgh have in net? Luongo?

Fleury always follows up a terrible game with a good game...Luongo not so much. Although, only 4 of those are Fleury's, 3 more on Johnson.

Pens actually carried the play the first 10 minutes, at least offensively. Couldn't beat Roloson, and the floodgates opened.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #247
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

Comeback is on!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #248
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Buccs went for two. I'm surprised. I wonder if the chart says go for two when you're up 6-2. ..
Old 04-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #249
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Buccs went for two. I'm surprised. I wonder if the chart says go for two when you're up 6-2. ..

Clearly this was Rays-Pirates
Old 04-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #250
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Caps come out on fire. It would be nice to end this today and not hear about the Habs series anymore.