Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #201
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
And a playoff would have absolutely no negative effect on OSU/Michigan, Alabama/Auburn, and Texas/Oklahoma while resolving the problem of having no champion.

Except when they meet again in the playoffs and it would be like the outcry of this year's LSU/Alabama potential rematch.

The winner of the SEC gets a trip to the Sugar Bowl. The 2nd best SEC team gets a trip to the Gator Bowl, for instance. In the end, you pick the best team among the apples and oranges.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #202
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Go Georgia.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #203
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hard to stop anybody when you're giving 'em that much time to throw
Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #204
miked
College Starter

Rutgers doing what they do best...choking in the clutch. Only 2 turnovers and 4 sacks allowed in the 1st quarter. Down 21-3 to a not-yet-blow-eligible UConn.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #205
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A little sign of life in Atlanta, now to avoid giving up anything in the final 1:12 of the half.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #206
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Coaches really need to give up on the ninja timeout
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #207
bob
College Starter

I hate this icing crap. I think they are less prepared on the first kick at this point b/c they are just waiting for the timeout. Surprise them by not calling it.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #208
flounder
High School Varsity

I'm a big CPJ fan, but that timeout was idiocy.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #209
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{shrug} Shit happens. Ideally though you actually, you know, call the f'n timeout before the ball is snapped.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #212
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Here's a thought: GT could fire their defensive coordinator & hire a special teams coach. Might improve both units.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WTF Tevin?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #214
Swaggs
Coordinator

UConn is up by 27 on Rutgers early in the third.

If UConn wins, all Big East teams will have a shot at becoming bowl eligible next week.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #215
bob
College Starter

That was a weird interception that Tevin threw.

Good stop by Tech but man, they need to score a TD on this drive.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #216
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I know Maryland is completely irrelevant this year, but I'm still happy to see their performance in this game.

By and large, they've looked like a different team than the one I watched all year. I kinda wish the team playing today had showed up for all the home games I was at. Would have made those a lot more fun...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #217
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Rutgers is who they thought they were. Chocolate Chip Cookie Cereal Bowl here they come.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-26-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #219
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cereal Bowl here they come.

Holy shit me too if I have any choice.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #220
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe an OC is also in order at GT.

Completely f'n ridiculous to have a team, and a coaching staff, look this lost at this level. The defensive back 8 look like a mediocre high school team, it's rare to see players turned inside out as frequently as this group manages.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #221
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Meanwhile, I hope Wyoming beats Boise State. I mean, since the blue turfers choked away their chance at the national title game that apparently waters down the meaning of the season, they might as well lose a game at home to the Pokes so they can solidify a shot at a less crappy bowl thanks to the MWC's awful slate of bowl tie-ins. Not bad for a team that started the year without a QB.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-26-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #222
bob
College Starter

Honestly, I'm through with Paul Johnson at Tech.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #223
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Honestly, I'm through with Paul Johnson at Tech.

+1

The arrogant SOB calls plays like he's high, has put together one of the least effective staffs in the history of college football and there's no more damning indictment than the almost complete lack of legitimate D1 talent that he's been able to recruit. The problem isn't the offensive system, it's the people running it. It's time for him to go & it can't be soon enough.

But given the financial situation & the extreme willingness for so many at GT to accept mediocrity, the dumb bastard ain't going anywhere any time soon.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That was just brilliant. Not sure what's worse today, CPJ's playcalling once they reached midfield on that drive or Tevin's accuracy.

What sort of fucking idiot throws on 3rd & 6 there, setting up a virtually impossible 4th & 6?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #226
bob
College Starter

I grew up a Notre Dame fan and went to Georgia Tech. The similarities between Paul Johnson and Charlie Weis are insane. Both arrogant, my-system-will-always-work, no adjustments coaches. Both completely ignored the defense and special teams side of things.

One difference is that Weis actually got legitimate D1 talent.

I guess its fine since we are selling out the stadium now at Tech though. At least when Clemson and UGA are in town.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #227
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess its fine since we are selling out the stadium now at Tech though. At least when Clemson and UGA are in town.

Hey, don't forget the occasional Thursday night game vs Va Tech.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #228
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hey, don't forget the occasional Thursday night game vs Va Tech.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't a sell out (at least not this year).

Edit - Just looked. 55,646 in attendance for the Clemson game, only 50,140 for VT.

Last edited by bob : 11-26-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #229
bob
College Starter

Why not try the onside kick there?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #230
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why not try the onside kick there?

Don't question the f'n genius
Old 11-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #231
bob
College Starter

Fair enough.

Someone wake me when Paul Johnson is gone.

I think the big issue the next coach will have is the mess of no talent on the roster. Given that everyone gets about 3 years to build a program, who will want to inherit this mess?

Last edited by bob : 11-26-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #232
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the big issue the next coach will have is the mess of no talent on the roster. Given that everyone gets about 3 years to build a program, who will want to inherit this mess?

It's at least 2 years before I can see him going anywhere, the mess will be almost certainly be considerably worse.

You literally couldn't combine the rosters at GT & Tennessee and field a decent D1 team at this point. It'll take a complete genius to rebuild the sort of clusterfucks that exist in Knoxville or Atlanta.

Problem is, neither team has a genius in sight
Old 11-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #233
bob
College Starter

Quote:
It's at least 2 years before I can see him going anywhere, the mess will be almost certainly be considerably worse.

Completely agree. With the basketball stadium expansion and Paul Hewitt's contract, we are stuck with him.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #235
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Completely agree. With the basketball stadium expansion and Paul Hewitt's contract, we are stuck with him.

The sad thing (for my cfb viewing at least) is that things are actually worse in Knoxville than they are in Atlanta.

Honestly, the Jackets don't know from FUBAR compared to that abomination.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #236
Radii
Head Coach

Craziness for Michigan to just end up with a field goal there, wow.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #237
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And Tennessee hits their lowest point in nearly three decades, getting completely outplayed at Kentucky.

Derek F'n Doofus ought to be hung, in effigy at the very least.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #238
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I think you guys have hit the nail on the head...I hear all the stuff about "high school offense" when it comes to GT and those people are all wrong. It's not the X's and O's that are the problem at GT, it's Paul Johnson himself. He would be much more successful at this level as someone's offensive coordinator, but as a head coach, he has zero of the necessary interpersonal skills to succeed in a BCS conference. He's never going to get the QB talent to run that offense at a high level because he can't sell it to the elite recruits. He's never going to build the GT fanbase with sidewalk fans, because he comes across as an ass and doesn't give a damn about what the fans think. The idiotic hire of Al Groh wasn't personality driven, but that was just a stupid hire in general. Facing a PJ team is always scary (from this VT fan's point of view), but they'll never challenge for anything significant with him in charge of the program.

Edit - In regards to the game today, though, it was nice to see the local boy (Synjyn Days) look good. Tevin Washington is a horrible quarterback...might be as bad as Sunseri at Pitt.

Last edited by VPI97 : 11-26-2011 at 02:35 PM.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #239
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hail to the Victors.

Suck it, tOSU. Suck. It.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #241
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
... because he can't sell it to the elite recruits.

It'd be an upgrade if he even attempted to sell it to a few decent OL recruits.

Quote:
The idiotic hire of Al Groh wasn't personality driven, but that was just a stupid hire in general.

Not nearly as stupid as the public declaration of a contract extension for Groh earlier this week.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #242
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Edit - In regards to the game today, though, it was nice to see the local boy (Synjyn Days) look good. Tevin Washington is a horrible quarterback...might be as bad as Sunseri at Pitt.

Don't be too enthused by Days beyond a few moments today. There are several reasons he saw less & less p.t. as the season wore on, among them problems holding onto the football & problems avoiding throwing to people wearing the wrong color jersey.

If you consistently look bad in practice against the GT defense, imagine how ugly it could get against a team that actually had talent or coaching.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #243
DeToxRox
Head Coach

While it was way too close and some awful penalties almost did us in, Jon's comments about Paul Johnson make me appreciate Brady Hoke that much more. He's a guy who just gets it. I don't even know how else to describe him. Couldn't be happier to have him as the head man at Michigan.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #244
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
While it was way too close and some awful penalties almost did us in, Jon's comments about Paul Johnson make me appreciate Brady Hoke that much more. He's a guy who just gets it. I don't even know how else to describe him. Couldn't be happier to have him as the head man at Michigan.

I couldn't agree more. While I find some of what he does, pun not intended, to be a little hokey at times, I think it works for college football and he just does the right thing.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #245
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Don't be too enthused by Days beyond a few moments today. There are several reasons he saw less & less p.t. as the season wore on, among them problems holding onto the football & problems avoiding throwing to people wearing the wrong color jersey.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he'll be a great QB at GT...I saw him play at Hillgrove and he was erratic as a passer, but even then, he may be an upgrade from Washington...but not by much. I just like to see the Powder Springs kids do well.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #246
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So now that Michigan did its part today, it'll be interesting to see if they end up as an At Large like many are predicting.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #247
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

VT running over UVA to start the game. Hopefully we'll keep it up...I want to beat those guys by 60 this year.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #249
whomario
Pro Starter

wow, that propably "game" allready in the Alabama-Auburn game, 2 way too easy TDs early for Alabama.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote