Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2003, 06:51 PM   #201
dread
n00b

damn I guess my dolphins are stuck with fielder lol.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:54 PM   #202
mckerney
Coordinator

The best QB out of the state of Texas Kliff Kingsbury is still available.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 06:53 AM   #203
Bee
Pro Starter

Seattle drafts the DE, Chris Kelsay from Nebraska with our second pick.

He's a solid pass rusher who has a motor that doesn't stop. Mel Kiper has him as the 16th best player on his board (which I think is a tad high) but at this point I think he'd be a steal. The Seahawks definitely need the help on the D-line and someone who can get up the field and put pressure on the QB would be welcome. With this pick and our first round pick, I think the D-line would be well on the way to respectability.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:02 AM   #204
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Kingsbury will be lucky to be drafted by the 5th round, if at all. He looked absolutely awful at the allstar games, showing no arm strength.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:16 PM   #205
wrigleyfield
Mascot

Kelsay looks like a solid pick for Seattle

http://www.geocities.com/wwwrigleyfi...raft_2003.html
wrigleyfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 10:45 AM   #206
Hawaii Warrior
n00b

bump

"The only way I will come back to the NFL is if the Lions hire June Jones as Head Coach..." -Barry Sanders

"When he threw the ball 38 straight times the other day, I said, 'That kid is my son,' " Mouse Davis said of June Jones.
Hawaii Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 02:52 PM   #207
Bee
Pro Starter

So anyone else concerned that some of these guys will be retired before we finish this draft?

Old 02-20-2003, 10:27 PM   #208
wrigleyfield
Mascot

Looks like we'll be half way done by the end of Feb

Old 02-21-2003, 08:44 AM   #209
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Nice pick on McDonald, primelord. Good value at a definite need position for the Rams.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:27 AM   #210
Hawaii Warrior
n00b

Nothingman selected the V-Man Vince Manuwai. Wow... Congrats Nothingman, you got one hell of a player/person.

"The only way I will come back to the NFL is if the Lions hire June Jones as Head Coach..." -Barry Sanders

"When he threw the ball 38 straight times the other day, I said, 'That kid is my son,' " Mouse Davis said of June Jones.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:00 AM   #211
Craptacular
College Starter

With the 45th overall pick in the draft (#13 in 2nd round), the Oakland Raiders select Al Johnson, C, Wisconsin.

The other position I wanted to fill if I stayed at #32. I was looking at Johnson, Jeff Faine, or guard Vince Manuwai. I wanted Johnson the most, especially since he was a product of the system Bill Callahan brought to UW when he was OL coach under Barry Alvarez. Regardless of the Barrett Robbins situation, Oakland needs help along the interior line. Johnson is a very quick center, an excellent run blocker, and has improved on his pass blocking. He could definitely play OG as well, and will be an important piece of the line for years to come.

I made the trades figuring at least one of the three players would drop to #45, but I got a little scared when the Bengals took Faine right away at #33. When the Redskins took Manuwai right before me, it made my decision that much easier. I can breathe a little easier now that I was able to trade down and still get who I wanted. We've definitely improved in the trenches.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 03:19 PM   #212
wrigleyfield
Mascot

Buffalo and Miami are the next two picks, both teams with out first rounds picks.

Old 02-22-2003, 03:20 PM   #213
Hawaii Warrior
n00b

The Chicago Bears select-

Running back Lee Suggs out of the University of Virginia Tech.

A phenomenal back before the injury to his knee, Lee Suggs has proven this year that the injury is far behind him. Even after the injury Suggs, 5-11/201 40: 4.44, is still one of the fastest backs in America. Suggs also has an excellent work ethic and remarkable leadership skills. Suggs fumbles about once in a decade, and hits holes extremely quickly. What he lacks in foot quickness he makes up for in his ability to run people over. The organization sees Lee Suggs as a faster Curtis Martin. Speed at the running back position is something the Bears need and they got it with this pick. With the A-Train and Suggs in the back feild the Bears now have "Thunder & Lighting". I'm just overall excited to welcome Suggs into this organization.

Last edited by Hawaii Warrior : 02-22-2003 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:50 PM   #214
wrigleyfield
Mascot

To all those having fun with the interactive mock draft but dont have a pick coming up soon, i started a poll interactive mock draft. you get to vote on who Cincinnati should take, and whichever player gets the most votes is selected #1, then we move on to all the picks.

http://www.geocities.com/wwwrigleyfield/NFL_Draft_2003.html

Old 02-22-2003, 05:51 PM   #215
mckerney
Coordinator

Buffalo is expected to make their selection soon. Rumors are that they may also be looking to take a runningback, in part due to Travis Henry's fumble problems
Old 02-22-2003, 06:17 PM   #216
Craptacular
College Starter

Damn you mckerney! I think you just pissed off about half the teams thinking about taking a chance on Willis in the rest of round 2 or round 3.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:26 PM   #217
mckerney
Coordinator

With the 48th selection, the Buffalo Bills select Miami Runningback Willis McGahee

In a similar move as the New Orleans Saints made two years ago, they took a running back high in the draft despite having a young back already. The selection was due in large part due to reports of McGahee rapidly recoving from his Fiesta Bowl injury, the Bills make him their first pick of the draft, 48th overall. Believing that they can fill defensive holes through free agency and trades, they took a chance on McGahee, believing he will be able to get some playing time this year, and possibly take over for Travis Henry down the road, in which case Henry would most likely be traded. Though there is the chance the Willis will not be able to take over as starting running back after he tore several ligaments in his knee against Ohio State, in which case he could contribute as a situational back, leaving Henry as the #1 man in Buffalo.

Though Herny had a season that sent him to the pro bowl there was some concern over how he held onto the ball, fumbling 11 time and losing 8 of them. This could have influenced the Bills top brass to take a chance on McGahee.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:29 PM   #218
mckerney
Coordinator

Hey, this is my first pick of the draft and the Bills may end up having more than $10 million in cap space. I wanted a guy who could be a gamebreaker, McGahee was at one time considered a top 5 pick.

All reports indicate his rehabs going well, and even if he needs to take a year off it shouldn't be a real big deal. Well worth the risk if you ask me.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:46 PM   #219
soapy
n00b

Fantastic pick Sporrer with Mathis - I almost took him at 20 and was hanging for him to drop to me. Back to the drawing board.

soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:56 PM   #220
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
Hey, this is my first pick of the draft and the Bills may end up having more than $10 million in cap space. I wanted a guy who could be a gamebreaker, McGahee was at one time considered a top 5 pick.

All reports indicate his rehabs going well, and even if he needs to take a year off it shouldn't be a real big deal. Well worth the risk if you ask me.

While I think this is interesting in a mock draft and everyone is certainly intrigued by McGahee's potential, I don't think this would ever happen in real life. My prediction is that no team will take a chance on him until at least the third round.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 10:29 PM   #221
sporrer17
n00b

Mathis

Thanx Soapy...you can't imagine how nuts I was when I realized he was still there, but there were 3 picks between me and mathis. I was praying to every god existent that he would be there. He is a guy who can play FS or CB, and a good return man if nothing else. He is a ballhawk, with speed to play CB, and the size to play S....quite a combo
Old 02-23-2003, 10:31 AM   #222
Hawaii Warrior
n00b

I wanted to take MaGahee pretty bad but in the end I felt Suggs was the better pick. He has a year under his belt with his injury and looks like he's back on his way to recovery. MaGahee on the other hand, although I've heard his surgery was a success, it will be interested how he plays in his first game.

Old 02-23-2003, 01:00 PM   #223
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

The Saints Have Selected S Ken Hamlin - Arkansas with our 2nd round pick. With Sammy Knight leaving via Free Agency and Jay Bellamy not playing very good, the Saints felt they could get a possible starter with this pick in Ken Hamlin. Another player the Saints were very interested in was CB Dennis Weathersby, but he would have had to compete for the # 3 CB spot, and with Hamlin we get a guy who will more than likely start a few games this year.

Quote:
Player evaluation:
Ken Hamlin
Height: 6-1 Weight: 203
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a tough, powerful run stuffer with good range and explosiveness. Has good size. Is a punishing hitter. Overruns some plays, but is a terrific sideline-to-sideline run chaser. Has a real nose for the ball. Is a big presence in the middle of the field. Shows good timing on hits, and makes receivers pay for coming into his zone. Is an above-average athlete, and shows some man-to-man coverage skills. Should be able to matchup against most NFL tight ends. Shows adequate hands. Shows good closing quickness and instincts when the ball is thrown in front of him. Had nine interceptions in college.

Weaknesses: Character is a concern after off-the-field trouble. Doesn't have great speed, and is too inconsistent in coverage. Needs to improve run/pass recognition skills and discipline. Is overzealous at times, and takes a lot of false steps because of play-action fakes. Lacks great change-of-direction skills in man-to-man coverage, and struggles against slot receivers. Is at his best patrolling the middle in short zones. Plays run first, pass second -- and gets into trouble. Can be undisciplined and too aggressive. Attacks the run without reading all the keys. Takes some poor pursuit angles, and gets victimized by reverses and misdirection plays (see film vs. Alabama).

Bottom line: Hamlin doesn't have elite size but is well-built, aggressive, powerful and physical with good sideline-to-sideline skills against the run. He never stops hustling, always is around the ball and is a punishing tackler. In each of his three seasons as a starter, Hamlin set Arkansas records for tackles by a defensive back. Hamlin finished his collegiate career as the Razorbacks' all-time leading tackler with 381 tackles. Hamlin has adequate speed and is a punishing tackler when in position, but he takes some poor angles and gets burned by play-action fakes. He can be a big presence in the middle of the field in the passing game, but he must be protected from man-to-man situations. He is one of the top three or four safeties in this class, but there are off-the-field concerns (two DUI convictions within 14 months) that could cause him to drop to the third or fourth round.

Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 02:28 PM   #224
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawaii Warrior
I wanted to take MaGahee pretty bad but in the end I felt Suggs was the better pick. He has a year under his belt with his injury and looks like he's back on his way to recovery. MaGahee on the other hand, although I've heard his surgery was a success, it will be interested how he plays in his first game.

Suggs is the better pick, IMO. Some backs never come back from the type of injury and surgery MaGahee had. He won't do anything at the scouting combine since he's still so far from being back so really the only thing people have is his claim that he should be able to play in the fall. Even if he can play, who knows if he'll return to form. I say it's WAY too big of a gamble to take him early in the draft unless your team just simply has no other needs, and I don't think any team can say that.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:16 PM   #225
Cuckoo
College Starter

Bump
Old 02-25-2003, 12:33 PM   #226
wrigleyfield
Mascot

Still some very good prospects out there.

0 TE's have been selected.
a Top CB is still avab
several good DE prospect are left
still a few good RB's too

Old 02-26-2003, 01:51 AM   #227
Hawaii Warrior
n00b

Clearly, Onterrio Smith is in a class of his own. But the problems and issues off the field scared me off. The complaints about his work ethic and desire pretty much did it for me too. He's got world class talent and speed but I dont want a cancer in my locker room. Goodluck Bishop!

Old 02-26-2003, 03:12 PM   #228
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I wasn't entirely certain on this pick. I actually typed in a different name first, but then decided to go with Onterrio. The Pats could go either CB or LB, but I felt that good players at those positions should be there in the third round, but a RB the quality of Onterrio Smith wouldn't be. I figure that Onterrio and Willis McGahee were the best backs in the nation the last year, and both have significant questions. McGahee w/ the knee and Onterrio with the attitude. I felt that none of the other backs would be a big improvement over Antowain Smith, but I think Onterrio has the chance. I think that 3 years from now, one of the two (Smith/McGahee) will be regarded as the best RB from the draft and the other will be out of football. Smith reminds me a lot of Corey Dillon. He comes out of the NW, left a year early, is very talented and has character questions. Hopefully he overcomes those and becomes the back that Dillon has. I'm real happy with my draft so far. Two impact starters, plus a potential gamebreaking offensive weapon.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 08:33 PM   #229
wrigleyfield
Mascot

Celeval missed the deadline so i will make the pick, my first pick of the draft which shows everyone has done a great job making picks.

Atlanta selects CB Dennis Weathersby Oregon St.

Old 02-27-2003, 12:37 PM   #230
wrigleyfield
Mascot

Celeval: strong comeback, good insight. would you have selected Weathersby? i really didn't consider anyone else for ATL.

Sabotai: very good pick. everyone: dont be afaird to ask for help and/or opinions

BishopMVP: how bout Bishop changing his mind at the last second, talk about drama. you know that happens during the real draft too.

Last edited by wrigleyfield : 02-27-2003 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:12 PM   #231
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by wrigleyfield
Celeval: strong comeback, good insight. would you have selected Weathersby?

I probably would have. Had he run the combine before the first round, I very well may have taken him then and saved the receiver for the second - I think Lloyd was a slight stretch even before his recent poor showing; and there's usually enough talent at WR in the second round to allow delay.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:13 PM   #232
wrigleyfield
Mascot

looks like i will have to make the pick for prime lord.

St. Louis already has draft a LB and WR, so with this pick i will look to help the OL. I'm taking Tony Pashos from the University of Illinois Fighting Illini.

Old 03-02-2003, 11:05 AM   #233
wrigleyfield
Mascot

bump

Old 03-03-2003, 03:54 PM   #234
wrigleyfield
Mascot

i selected CB Dejuan groce for the steelers, i think they clearly need help there.

Old 03-03-2003, 06:37 PM   #235
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Might as well give the Packers pick to the Eagles. No sense in drafting for the Packers.

See you in 45 days for the 3rd round.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:34 PM   #236
sporrer17
n00b

Wrigley....DeJuan Groce is my man....i almost took him and then i remembered Mathis.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:56 PM   #237
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang
Might as well give the Packers pick to the Eagles. No sense in drafting for the Packers.

Well, they have gotten a few good players when they actually kept the pick ... which is not very often.

1990 - Leroy Butler
1991 - Esera Tuaolo
1992 - Mark D'Onofrio; other pick traded to get Mike Holmgren
1993 - traded to Dallas
1994 - traded to SF
1995 - traded to Miami (Keith Jackson)
1996 - Derrick Mayes
1997 - Darren Sharper
1998 - traded to Miami
1999 - used to draft Mike Wahle in supplemental draft; Fred Vinson
2000 - Chad Clifton
2001 - Robert Ferguson; other pick traded to SF
2002 - traded to Seattle
Old 03-04-2003, 10:38 PM   #238
wrigleyfield
Mascot

Quote:

thanks for the 45 days later will be in round 3 comment, got a laugh out of me.

Mustang...but are you saying you dont want the pick? it is yours. i will pick when i wake but your more than welcome to make the pick before me, it's yours Mustang

Old 03-04-2003, 10:42 PM   #239
wrigleyfield
Mascot

Quote:

What about this new rule.

for round 3 we do 5 picks at a time. all those still active send in a wish list. if you pick 1st in round 3 send a list 1 name long. if you pick 5th a list 5 names long. if you pick 6th in round 3 dont send a list yet, you will be #1 the next day.

thoughts?

new schedule would be
Round 3 picks 1-5 Thrus
6-10 Fri
11-15 Sun
16-20 Mon
21-26 Tues
27-finish Wed

thats right, Finish Wed.

thoughts?

Last edited by wrigleyfield : 03-04-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:43 PM   #240
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Well, they have gotten a few good players when they actually kept the pick ... which is not very often.

1990 - Leroy Butler
1991 - Esera Tuaolo
1992 - Mark D'Onofrio; other pick traded to get Mike Holmgren
1993 - traded to Dallas
1994 - traded to SF
1995 - traded to Miami (Keith Jackson)
1996 - Derrick Mayes
1997 - Darren Sharper
1998 - traded to Miami
1999 - used to draft Mike Wahle in supplemental draft; Fred Vinson
2000 - Chad Clifton
2001 - Robert Ferguson; other pick traded to SF
2002 - traded to Seattle

You know what's amazing? When the article came out late last year about Esera Tuaolo being gay, I had absolutely no idea who he was. And I'm a nut who's heard of basically anyone who has made a roster in the last decade. Now if worked in reverse. When I saw the name I went "Oh, the guy who came out as gay." I assume he never really panned out, or I would have known who he was when he came out.

cthomer
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:54 AM   #241
wrigleyfield
Mascot

what did you guys think of my idea, it's either that or we dont do round 3 in my eyes.

Old 03-06-2003, 11:44 AM   #242
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by wrigleyfield
what did you guys think of my idea, it's either that or we dont do round 3 in my eyes.

Why? I don't really like the idea. I liked that fact that everyone had time to look at their options and make an intelligent pick. At this pace, we should still be done in a week or two. What's wrong with that?
Old 03-06-2003, 11:58 AM   #243
Craptacular
College Starter

With the 63rd overall pick (#31 in 2nd round) of the 2003 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders select Teyo Johnson, WR/TE, Stanford.

I admit that I went all over the map with this pick. I went back and forth between a number of players at different positions, but in the end, decided that Teyo had too much of an upside to pass up. Admittedly, I would have liked to be able to see the results of his "NFL day" workout at Stanford next week. If his speed is enough to be any threat on the outside, I'd scoop up the 6'6" two-sport star in a heartbeat. Most experts project him as a TE, where there's almost no LB or safety that could cover him 1-on-1. The obvious question would be how he's going to fare as a blocker, but in the Raiders' pass-happy offense, I'm more excited about his presence as a receiver over the middle than I'm worried about his run-blocking. I almost decided on TE Jason Witten, who is a more established TE, but Teyo's versatility as a receiver made me pull the trigger. I'm hoping Teyo turns out more like Tony Gonzalez than Rickey Dudley.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:03 PM   #244
Craptacular
College Starter

I'd like to see it continue as normal. If everyone does their part by keeping track of when his pick is up, being prepared, and letting the guy after you know his pick is up, this should be fairly quick. At this point in the draft, most people will usually have their eyes on 1 or 2 players, and should be able to pick right away when he sees it's his turn. Give people 24 hours as normal, but be prepared to make the pick for them if they don't. As I said, most people should know exactly who they want when their pick comes up.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:27 PM   #245
wrigleyfield
Mascot

alright

Old 03-07-2003, 10:16 PM   #246
Cuckoo
College Starter

Moving right along:

With the 5th pick in the 2nd Round - The Dallas Cowboys select Ian Scott - DT Florida

With the recent loss of Brandon Noble to free agency, a need was created for a run-stopping DT. In real life, the Cowboys have addressed needs such as offensive line (Ryan Young) and tight end (soon to sign Dan Campbell) through free agency. While they will still look at guys like the underrated tackle Wayne Hunter of Hawaii and tight ends such as Jason Witten of Tennessee, this position was the most immediate need.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:40 PM   #247
sporrer17
n00b

With the 6th pick in the 3rd round, the Arizona Cardinals select:
Musa Smith, RB, Georgia

We feel he is a good value pick that also fills a need at RB. He is a good power runner with enough speed to fill in nicely.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:20 PM   #248
wrigleyfield
Mascot

for the Vikings i took Shane Walton, so the Vikings end up with Walton, Troy Palemula and Jimmy Kennedy, how bout that.

Old 03-11-2003, 02:44 PM   #249
Craptacular
College Starter

With the 72nd overall pick (#8 in 3rd round), the Oakland Raiders select Chaun Thompson, LB, West Texas A&M.

The Raiders need someone to replace Romo-cop eventually. Thompson has been a sleeper on a lot of experts' lists, and showed why at the combine. The 6'2", 240 pound LB had the best 40 time (4.53), 2nd most reps in the bench (29), and 4th-best 20 yard shuttle drill time of all the LBs that worked out. Chaun is right up there with Boss Bailey as the most athletic LBs available. He has the size to play ILB, but we'll plan on using him at OLB. He certainly has the speed to handle it. Chaun and MLB Napolean Harris (last year's 1st rd choice) should form a nice LB combo for years to come.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:06 PM   #250
Bee
Pro Starter

Seattle went with CB Sammy Davis. He was by far the best player left on my board. I was thinking about a MLB here because I think that's a major need for the Seahawks, but I couldn't pass up on someone with Davis' skill at this point. He has speed and skill, I think he's the complete package. With the pass happy offenses in the NFL anymore, you can never have too many quality CB's. The Seahawks would have to address the MLB spot either in Free Agency or later in the draft.

Overall, I'm very happy with the results of this mock draft. I got two bigtime D-linemen and a solid CB to really solidify the defense. Hopefully, Hasselbeck will play consistently and the young WRs and Alexander will improve their play on offense with another year of experience under their belt and the Seahawks should be much improved.