Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #201
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Nice work! I'm getting more and more into the game and enjoying it so far. And that's saying a lot since I'm usually an "in-season" sports game player.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:34 AM   #202
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I'm now officially having a blast with beta 1.11. It is 2019, and my originally-20-Prestige Columbus State Cougars are up to 45, and we appear to be in the range where we could land a four-star recruit one of these years. We're near the top of the Sun Belt every year now, but have still yet to go undefeated in Conference play. We've made it to a minor bowl in each of the last seven seasons, though. We have five Sun Belt Conference titles under our belts, and have finished in the Top 25 twice. I love the degree of difficulty, and what I would assume to be heavy replay value. I've gone as far as 2020 in previous careers with only one or two conference titles, and zero bowl wins.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #203
Ben E Lou

I wonder what will happen if I can get my Prestige up into the 60-70 range, in terms of Georgia and Tech. Obviously, the recruit pool was not created to have three strong schools in Georgia. I wonder if I'll hit a ceiling due to consistently losing out on 4 and 5 star guys to the Dawgs and Jackets, or if I'll reduce one or both of them.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #204
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The difficulty with getting a team like Columbus State to the 60-70 level is strength of schedule and consistency. Because your conference is weak, you will struggle to get a high ranking consistently. Also, in order to get a prestige in the 60-70 range, you need to finish in the top 25-40 with a decent recruiting class (top 35). For a team like Columbus State, that's going to be tough on a conisistent basis.

All that said, I've seen a 30-year career where Miami OH ended up with a 65-70 prestige - so it can be done.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #205
Celeval
Pro Starter

Are there any get-started type tutorials around? Tips and Tricks, how to use players of particular types, that sort of thing? I've found myself a bit lost.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #206
Arles
Grey Dog Software

dola - new update:

http://72.29.67.246/GDS/bb2005.zip

This has MikeVick's fix in, as well as a tweak to remove the negative recruiting balance that happened once in a blue moon (related to a low prestige team going after a couple transfers). I also did a minor tweak to the normal setting to allow a hair more movement for lower teams (but this goes both positive and negative).
Old 04-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #207
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
dola - new update:

This has MikeVick's fix in, as well as a tweak to remove the negative recruiting balance that happened once in a blue moon (related to a low prestige team going after a couple transfers). I also did a minor tweak to the normal setting to allow a hair more movement for lower teams (but this goes both positive and negative).
So...are we now in a public beta situation for fine-tuning patches? (FWIW, I'd say that the game is now at the point where public betas of future patches/tweaks are probably appropriate.) If so, allow me to suggest creating new threads at GDS and here announcing 1.11 public beta.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #208
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Arles or anyone really,

When setting the percentages for blitzing (Blitz One/Two/All Out/Zone) for each situation (Norm/Run/Pass). Are you setting the percentage of time you will blitz in each situation? So let's say in the Normal scenario, if I select something like this:

Blitz One - 25%
Two - 20%
All Out - 5%
Zone - 50%
Total - 100%

Does that mean that in Normal scenarios my defense will blitz 100% of the time?

Secondly, does the AI randomly select how many players will blitz in a zone blitz scenario? I noticed that these four categories can't exceed 100%, but don't have to equal 100%.

Just trying to get a grasp on this.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #209
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Dola - I get an error when I try to install the new update. It tells me that elicen40.dll was not found.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #210
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
dola - new update:
Does it strike anyone else as hysterical that Arlie posts on this board and properly uses "dola" when necessary?

"It's OK, he's one of US"
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #211
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
dola - new update:

Arles,
Is this 1.11?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #212
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Dola - I get an error when I try to install the new update. It tells me that elicen40.dll was not found.

What do you mean by install?

You unzip and copy the .exe over to your Bowl Bound directory and have it replace the old .exe.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #213
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
What do you mean by install?

You unzip and copy the .exe over to your Bowl Bound directory and have it replace the old .exe.
Ahhh, my bad. I just thought this was a patch. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #214
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Arles,
Is this 1.11?
it is a beta of 1.11.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #215
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Does it strike anyone else as hysterical that Arlie posts on this board and properly uses "dola" when necessary?

nah. arlie has posted here since the days of the sideline. he was here before he started making games.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #216
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla

With the timestamp bug, you never know. But I make an effort from time to time
Old 04-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #217
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
nah. arlie has posted here since the days of the sideline. he was here before he started making games.

I remember when Arlie first posted about some crazy idea of his called "Coaching a Dynasty." I bought that game way back when and it was pretty good (although I don't think he ever got the rebounding stats right). That was a long time ago.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #218
21C
College Prospect

Before CAD, I remember when Arlie created a utility for Fast Break Basketball just after it was released . . . if my memory serves me right.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #219
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Any idea on when 1.11 is coming out as non-beta? I'm not trying to rush things--just trying to get a sense. I'm playing around with the game now, but waiting to start a "serious" career. If the 1.11 patch is a week away, then I will just wait. If, however, it is a month away, I may just give into impatience and start a "serious" career with 1.1.

Thanks.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #220
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

When recruiting, the budget that is made available, is that the money you can spend each week or the total made available to you for the entire recruiting period?
Old 04-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #221
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

It's per week, MikeVick.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #222
Radii
Head Coach

Has anyone played around with putting players out of position? Thanks to some poor planning in recruiting, I have four tackles better than any of my guards, I'm considering playing at least one of my tackles at guard.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #223
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Ok, so I know that there's going to be some randomness in this game, like all sim games, which is good. But what I'm not understanding in the recruiting portion of the game is the number of recruits I'm losing after they are telling me that I'm their top choice and I've nailed the recruiting pitch.

I understand that you're going to have a couple change their minds, like in real-life last year Josh Freeman had verbally committed to the Huskers and then ended up going to K-State, but that's their only verbal that they lost.

So why are so many recruits who have you listed as their "Top One" going elsewhere? Especially when you've selected the correct recruiting pitch? Am I putting too much stock in the "Top One" indicator? Does that mean that you're just in the top 5 choices or does that really mean that your school is the top choice and the recruits are changing their minds that often?

This season for example, after Week 13, I've now lost three "Top One" recruits where I guessed the correct recruiting pitch and I've lost an additional four recruits who had me listed as their Top One and I didn't guess the recruiting pitch correctly.

It's really kinda discouraging. Any tips?
Old 04-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #224
Arles
Grey Dog Software

How good is your scouting service? If you don't have the top one, there is some variance in the "top one" advice. Also, look at the other teams offering scholarships and see the interest in those schools. If another school is similar to you and in the same state as the player or has another big advantage, you may end up losing out.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #225
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the reply Arles. I do make sure I use the top scouting service for my region each year. So do I basically have to view the Top One indicator as a situation to where I'm in the top 3 or 5 as opposed it meaning that I'm the #1 choice for that recruit? Or does that mean I am truely the #1 choice, but the probabilty of that recruit flip-flopping is pretty likely?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #226
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It normally means are the current top or tied for the top. It doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get the player, but there's a pretty good chance. Now, if you happen to be tied, it's a bit of a tossup. If you have the top scouting looking at the other school's ovals on his card to see the other schools you could be competing with and who offered a scholarship. If you like your chances with those schools, you will probably get him.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #227
Galaril
Pro Starter

Arles,
Another question related to scouting when setting budget. What the does the scouting offense and defense exactly? I understand it deals with your view of players not on your team but does it relate to how you see recruits during recruiting so more money spent will improve your scouting of the recruits? Or is that only affected by yhe scouting service? And if so does that mean it is only for viewing players on other teams during the season? Than what does the advanced scouting do? I thought that was for viewing the opponents team. What does the advance scouting affect? Does it, for example, affect the type of offense or defense the AI will suggest for an upcoming opponent on the game plan menu when we hit suggest. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #228
twothree
College Prospect

Using the latest patch (1.11), clean install and no mods. In the game log, When a PAT is blocked I occasionally see a number (probably the player's ID number) instead of a player's name.

Instead of this:

Colorado ball, Q2, 1-0-TLSA0 (08:44) 16-0
Herman Jones has his PAT blocked by WR Cortez Creekmur!

I see this:

Miami ball, Q4, 1-0-IND0 (08:15) 12-20
Billy Neal has his PAT blocked by 1468!

Or instead of this:

Penn State ball, Q1, 1-0-UTAH0 (05:12) 6-7
Mel Truitt has his PAT blocked by FB Jack Hill! The ball is recovered by Utah UTAH 3

I see this:

Baylor ball, Q2, 1-0-BC0 (02:34) 12-24
Fred Johnson has his PAT blocked by 888! The ball is recovered by Boston BC 3

Also, occasionally a kickoff has nothing listed in the game log except that the ball was spotted on the 35 yard line.

Example of kickoff and following play:

Baylor ball, Q2, 1-10-BAY35 (02:34) 12-24

Boston ball, Q2, 1-10-BC24 (02:16) 24-12
Offense: Short Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-HB-screen
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: 4-6, Play: 46-run-Man-B6,7
QB G. Minor completes a 12 yard screen to RB C. Taliaferro (ILB J. Feagles).
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:43 PM   #229
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Arles,
Another question related to scouting when setting budget. What the does the scouting offense and defense exactly? I understand it deals with your view of players not on your team but does it relate to how you see recruits during recruiting so more money spent will improve your scouting of the recruits? Or is that only affected by yhe scouting service? And if so does that mean it is only for viewing players on other teams during the season? Than what does the advanced scouting do? I thought that was for viewing the opponents team. What does the advance scouting affect? Does it, for example, affect the type of offense or defense the AI will suggest for an upcoming opponent on the game plan menu when we hit suggest. Thanks.
Scouting Offense and defense impacts how accurately you view opposing players (on offense and defense). It's useful for gameplanning and select transfers.

Advance scouting impacts how well your staff and players adjust to your opponents during the game. It improves play calling and overall play success, as well as it partly impacts the number of out of position errors.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #230
Arles
Grey Dog Software

FYI - A new demo has been released (version 1.11):

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/downloads.php?id=61

Last edited by Arles : 04-16-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #231
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Scouting Offense and defense impacts how accurately you view opposing players (on offense and defense). It's useful for gameplanning and select transfers.

Advance scouting impacts how well your staff and players adjust to your opponents during the game. It improves play calling and overall play success, as well as it partly impacts the number of out of position errors.

Thanks that is very useful.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #232
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I am getting an error. The game is scheduling one team (see screenshot below) to play twice in one week. I went to the "Hard coded" scheduler and took out all the games that are locked in. I noticed that the team I ran did not play everyone automatically in the conference. One team was missing from the schedule. Is there a fix I can do here that I am not seeing? I should add, I am just letting the game schedule every game, and assumed the conference games at least would be hard coded to play.

"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 04-17-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:30 PM   #233
Senator

Here are the pstats and other changed files for review if needed.

FILES
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 04-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #234
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I downloaded the files and I'll check it out. Could you post the .sav file as well? There might be some configuration causing trouble and that's why I'd like to see how the league is setup.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #235
Senator

Arles,

Thanks for taking the time to look at it. I really appreciate that. I am trying to play with Tabor, and I notice that one team, St. Mary, does not automatically show on the schedule despite being in the KCAC conference. Below is the sav file.

Thank you again.

NAIA SAVE FILE

Old 04-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #236
Senator

Bizump

Old 04-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #237
Galaril
Pro Starter

Does anyone have the bowl logos, end zone logos and Field helmets that the Outlaw guy made from BBCF forums? His site is closed and I had to reformat my hradrive thus losing all my mods.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #238
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Senator,

I just checked out your game and was able to advance to the start of the regular season and sim the full regular season without errors. I wonder if there could be an issue with versions as there were a few different 1.11s out there at release. So, you may want to download and update with this one to be safe:

http://72.29.67.246/GDS/BBUpdate.exe

If you still can't get past this issue, I posted my save at the start of week 1 and it seems to work OK:

http://72.29.67.246/GDS/NAIA2.zip

There could also be an issue with the initial prestige values being between 10 and 40 in that a lot of recruits will exclude them. So, you may have a real shallow talent pool, tons of parity, low scores and other stat oddities. We didn't really do much testing with these kind of configurations so I really don't know what other issues could crop up in creating a league like this.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 AM   #239
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Dola, I hit an error finishing the season in the final poll calculation. So, I would recommend saving in week 19 or 20 before the final week of the playoffs to be safe. I'm not real sure why it occured and will have to investigate it.

I stepped past it and got through the offseason. But, because of the low prestige values there were no transfers. In recruiting, two teams ended up going over the 50 threshold (Carroll and St. Francis IN) as they made the finals and Carroll won. They had a big edge in recruiting, but recruits ended up being much more dispersed than I would have thought (the top 25 recruits when to 16 different schools). There were a lot of schools that just had one, two or three interested schools, though.

What I would recommend is trying to see if you get past that week 21 error. If you can't let me know and I can take a look at it. But, before doing anything else, I would suggest that you adjust the prestige values in the game options menu to be in more of a 30-70 range. You would have much more balance in the league and the game would play more as it was designed.

Last edited by Arles : 04-24-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #240
Senator

Quote:
Dola, I hit an error finishing the season in the final poll calculation. So, I would recommend saving in week 19 or 20 before the final week of the playoffs to be safe. I'm not real sure why it occured and will have to investigate it.

I stepped past it and got through the offseason. But, because of the low prestige values there were no transfers. In recruiting, two teams ended up going over the 50 threshold (Carroll and St. Francis IN) as they made the finals and Carroll won. They had a big edge in recruiting, but recruits ended up being much more dispersed than I would have thought (the top 25 recruits when to 16 different schools). There were a lot of schools that just had one, two or three interested schools, though.

What I would recommend is trying to see if you get past that week 21 error. If you can't let me know and I can take a look at it. But, before doing anything else, I would suggest that you adjust the prestige values in the game options menu to be in more of a 30-70 range. You would have much more balance in the league and the game would play more as it was designed.

Ok, I will up the prestige levels. Maybe that will help some. I still cannot figure out why one team in the KCAC - St.Mary will not play Tabor. They are in the same conference. Getting the error message at the end of season before the playoffs, actually. Thanks for this personalized help. It is appreciated.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #241
Huckleberry
College Starter

Is everyone else having problems with the FOFC-BBCF forum? I can't get in right now.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #242
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Is everyone else having problems with the FOFC-BBCF forum? I can't get in right now.

It's working fine for me.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #243
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
It's working fine for me.

'Twas a cookie error. Deleted my fofc-bbcf cookies and I'm good to go.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:09 PM   #244
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
Ok, I will up the prestige levels. Maybe that will help some. I still cannot figure out why one team in the KCAC - St.Mary will not play Tabor. They are in the same conference. Getting the error message at the end of season before the playoffs, actually. Thanks for this personalized help. It is appreciated.
Post the save and I will download it, fix it and send it right back. I just need the .sav, stats.dat and setup.dat files from the save folder. I will also see if I can make a fix for you to try on your end to see if it addresses it.