Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Mustain, Stafford, Tebow, Smelley - Best Collegiate/NFL career
Mustain 15 18.07%
Stafford 27 32.53%
Tebow 27 32.53%
Smelley 2 2.41%
Trout 12 14.46%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #201
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah, I know. Just poking a little fun.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #202
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Lets take a gut check.

Mustain - USC 2nd stringer, will probably never see significant playing time (we like Mallett more!)
Tebow - arguably all time CFB QB best, NFL career unknown but will be given a shot with some team.
Stafford - second only to Tebow in CFB, NFL career still tbd
Smelley - fugabouit

I read that and got a good laugh
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #203
Edward64
Head Coach

Bump.

Stafford and Tebow in the NFL now. Mustain still USC 2nd string behind Barkley. Interesting how the Corp thing worked out last year (did he get screwed?).

Stafford is still a big ? but showed some spunk last year. Tebow is an even bigger ? but glad he has a chance to compete to play.

Yeah, I'm still rooting for Mustain to have some playing time at USC and get drafted.

Man, did I start this thread 4 years ago.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-07-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #204
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Bump.

Stafford and Tebow in the NFL now. Mustain still USC 2nd string behind Barkley. Interesting how the Corp thing worked out last year (did he get screwed?).

Stafford is still a big ? but showed some spunk last year. Tebow is an even bigger ? but glad he has a chance to compete to play.

Yeah, I'm still rooting for Mustain to have some playing time at USC and get drafted.

Man, did I start this thread 4 years ago.

Corp didn't get screwed. Corp showed that he did not have enough confidence or arm strength to play big time college football. Heck from what I've read, he is having a hard time beating out the Richmond QB for that job..

Mustain had a really good 2nd half of the spring, and I think he'll get playing time this year, even if it is mop-up role in some blowouts.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #205
Easy Mac

So who came in last?
Ex-USC QB Mitch Mustain arrested on drug charge - ESPN Los Angeles
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #206
TroyF
Coordinator

We can put a wrap on the college careers now without a ton of debate, correct?

1) Tebow
2) Stafford
3) Smelley
4) Mustain

Looks like we'll only have to worry about two of them in the NFL, barring a Matt Cassell like breakout from Mustain.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #207
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
We can put a wrap on the college careers now without a ton of debate, correct?

1) Tebow
2) Stafford
3) Smelley
4) Mustain

Looks like we'll only have to worry about two of them in the NFL, barring a Paul Crewe like breakout from Mustain.

Fixed for appropriateness.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #208
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I watched a ton of HS film on all three. Stafford and Tebow will outshine Mustain in college. Of the three, Stafford will probably make the better pro QB, although Tebow could make some noise.

FWIW, the guy who seemed to nail this at the start was scout our own board leader Ben E Lou.

What really caused me a laugh was the comment from noop. Tebow is overrated and overhyped.

It isn't the analysis that caused me to laugh. It's the fact that 5 years later I feel like I'm in the same place. At the time he wrote that, I really didn't know if Tebow could play or not. I didn't know anything about any of those guys. Obviously, Tebow became the ultimate college star of the class.

Now I hear people say Tebow is overrated and overhyped as an NFL QB. And just like five years ago, I really don't know what to say. I'm on the fence and have no clue again. He may be a bad NFL QB, but I gotta see more before I make my opinion. I saw enough in college to know he wasn't overrated or overhyped in that venue.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #209
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
What a waste. Maybe not good enough for the NFL but certainly good enough for 80% of other Div I schools.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #210
molson
General Manager

Fun thread. I haven't followed all this that closely - but do we have any idea now, after the fact, why Mitch Mustain went to USC? (as opposed to almost anywhere else where he could play).

Last edited by molson : 02-04-2011 at 04:14 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #211
MJ4H
Coordinator

Charges were dropped on Mustain btw (general theory is he cut a deal so they could get someone up the chain, but who knows).
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #212
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Fun thread. I haven't followed all this that closely - but do we have any idea now, after the fact, why Mitch Mustain went to USC? (as opposed to almost anywhere else where he could play).

As far as I can see he really wasn't that bothered about playing, and just wanted a laid back big time program where he could stay relevant (which was definitely USC under Carroll). I don't know if he generally just doesn't care about football anymore, if he thought he could start at SC but just presented a laid back exterior when he didn't, or if he read the Matt Cassell story and thought that every backup at USC became an NFL starter but he just never seemed to care. Bit strange and a complete waste of talent.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #213
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
As far as I can see he really wasn't that bothered about playing, and just wanted a laid back big time program where he could stay relevant (which was definitely USC under Carroll). I don't know if he generally just doesn't care about football anymore, if he thought he could start at SC but just presented a laid back exterior when he didn't, or if he read the Matt Cassell story and thought that every backup at USC became an NFL starter but he just never seemed to care. Bit strange and a complete waste of talent.
I'm pretty sure he went to USC ready to compete but accepted the backup status over time.

But to his credit, let's not forget he did start at AR, won 8 games. Admittedly, most were shaky wins, not all were pretty, or by his arm, the majority probably due to RB McFadden and Jones. Then he got screwed by Nutt by being replaced by Casey Dick -- I still don't get that decision.

Even after his backup status at USC, he still had the opportunity to transfer to another school, after the Bush scandal, but decided to remain -- somehow, somewhere he accepted the backup status and became complacent.

And now, stupid sh*t like selling fake drugs. What an ass.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #214
SunDevil
College Prospect

Mitch Mustain’s Circuitous Career Has Brought Him to Canada | The Big Lead

Mitch Mustain’s Circuitous Career Has Brought Him to Canada

Let’s quickly go through the arc of Mitch Mustain’s football career:

High school star, went to Arkansas and started as a freshman. Went 8-0 before his parents had beef with coach Houston Nutt, at which point Mustain decided to QB-rich USC, where he barely got on the field. Earlier this year, he was arrested for selling prescription drugs to an undercover officer.

(About that: “It’s been taken care of and I did the community service. It was a lesson to learn from and I’m glad it’s behind me.”

Now, Mustain’s in Canada, trying to win the starting job for the Hamilton Ticats. Mustain, for being so highly-touted in high school, wasn’t even drafted. That’s shocking, since if you simply attend USC, you get drafted (see Matt Cassel). Heck, UNC’s TJ Yates was drafted in April. A QB from Idaho was drafted. The Jets took the Alabama QB, simply because he’s smart.

Mustain’s post-high school career has been a 5-year dumpster fire.

By the way, how many kids who have been named the ‘Gatorade high school Player of the Year’ have been busts?

2000 Brock Berlin Shreveport, LA Florida / Miami (FL)
2001 Joe Mauer St. Paul, MN signed by Minnesota Twins
2002 Lorenzo Booker Oxnard, CA Florida State
2003 Kyle Wright Danville, CA Miami (FL)
2004 Jeff Byers Fort Collins, CO USC
2005 Greg Paulus Syracuse, NY Duke (basketball)
2006 Mitch Mustain Springdale, AR Arkansas / USC
2007 John Brantley Ocala, FL Florida
2008 Matt Barkley Santa Ana, CA USC
2009 Garrett Gilbert Austin, TX Texas

Just looking at the last decade … other than Brock Berlin (perennial 3rd string NFL QB) and Lorenzo Booker (extremely modest NFL stats, but from this group, they’re excellent), what a motley crew. Mauer picked baseball, Paulus played hoops and then had fun with football for a year. Wright was terrible, Byers was nothing special at USC and went undrafted, and so far, Brantley and Gilbert have been unimpressive. Matt Barkley will probably wind up being the biggest Gatorade POY star since Peyton Manning (1994).
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #215
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
1. Mitch Mustain - In my opinion the top QB in this class. He has that "it"
2. Matthew Stafford - Will have a great college career.
3. Tim Tebow - Overrated and overhyped.

So much epic fail in this post.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #216
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
So much epic fail in this post.

It is all guessing that early. Many a coach wouldn't have made any better guess.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #217
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It is all guessing that early. Many a coach wouldn't have made any better guess.
I think an argument can be made that Mustain did have the it. Regardless of whether Nutt was right/wrong in pulling him, Mustain should have sucked it up, he would have had at least 2 years of playing time. He should have gone to some place that he could have played.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #218
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Mustain ain't getting the starting job in Hamilton. Calling it now.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #219
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Just looking at the last decade … other than Brock Berlin (perennial 3rd string NFL QB) and Lorenzo Booker (extremely modest NFL stats, but from this group, they’re excellent), what a motley crew. Mauer picked baseball, Paulus played hoops and then had fun with football for a year. Wright was terrible, Byers was nothing special at USC and went undrafted, and so far, Brantley and Gilbert have been unimpressive. Matt Barkley will probably wind up being the biggest Gatorade POY star since Peyton Manning (1994).

Uh, Joe Mauer is a pretty good player
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #220
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Figured I'd bump this since Stafford and Tebow are facing off today.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #221
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Figured I'd bump this since Stafford and Tebow are facing off today.

One of these things is not like the other.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #222
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It certainly was Smelley.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #223
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
#162-163 are my favorite posts in this thread.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #224
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
#162-163 are my favorite posts in this thread.

I prefer post #161.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #225
SunDevil
College Prospect

Former USC Trojans QB Mitch Mustain signs with Chicago White Sox - ESPN Chicago
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #226
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I watched a ton of HS film on all three. Stafford and Tebow will outshine Mustain in college. Of the three, Stafford will probably make the better pro QB, although Tebow could make some noise.

Our fearless leader called this one early and accurately.

Of the four QBs discussed in this thread, I am very thankful that the Lions drafted the one they did.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #227
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

So this is kind of tricky in the wording of the poll. Best Collegiate/Pro career.

Tebow had such a fabulous college career what does Stafford need to do to surpass him overall? 4-5 Pro Bowls? A Super Bowl Ring?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #228
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
So this is kind of tricky in the wording of the poll. Best Collegiate/Pro career.

Tebow had such a fabulous college career what does Stafford need to do to surpass him overall? 4-5 Pro Bowls? A Super Bowl Ring?

Perhaps an NFL career for Stafford that spans 10 years or so with a couple of Pro Bowls and a few playoff appearances might look better than Tebow's collegiate career at Florida. Especially if Tebow doesn't stick in the NFL like so many other Florida QB's are apt to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote