Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #201
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc View Post
So what day is this out? Someone please say "soon"!

20th September is the official release date.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #202
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Um.... you might want to double check that, Icy

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-09-2006 at 03:05 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #203
mrsimperless
College Prospect

So I'm a FM n00b. I just bought 06 and I've yet to really get into a career. However, the media interaction is what intrigued me about this game the most. Is it worth it to still try and get into 06, or is 07 so much better that I should just wait and 'get serious about FM' after that is available? Some of the descriptions of the 07 media interaction seem really sweet. I'[m afraid I'll just be pining for that while playing 06. =)
Old 10-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #204
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's two weeks. You can wait two weeks, can't you?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #205
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
20th September is the official release date.

That date already past.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #206
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
That date already past.

You don't say?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #207
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
the only thing that worries me about this game (and according to the si boards its being looked at) is the crazy amounts of $$ being thrown about to sign mediocre players. it shouldn't cost me 60 million dollars to sign dani alves for example, not when his value is listed as 16 million. i 'd love to see something where a player's value=a number that actually had some meaning. right now having to go 3-4 times value to get players who are valued at 8 million dollars is a bit ridiculous.

I think what might solve the problem as an easy fix would be to have managers declaring interest in a player to have more effect than it does now. at least if the new team is bigger/a favored club, etc
I respectfully disagree. Valuation is, just that, valuation. How much the player is considered to be worth. How much the team would want for the player is an entirely different story. Diarra's valuation was nowhere near how much Madrid paid to get him. Essien's valuation was nowhere near how much Chelsea paid to get him. Henry, great as he is, was valued nowhere near how much Real Madrid and Barcelona supposedly offered for him. Attempting to buy a player with multiple years left on his contract from a non-selling club (more specifically, a club that does not need to sell to operate) will obviously cost more. On the other hand, what de Jong went for was nowhere near indicative of his valuation. But with his contract nearly expiring, hey, that's the best they could get. It just is what it is.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #208
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
You don't say?

He's always on top of things.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #209
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
I respectfully disagree. Valuation is, just that, valuation. How much the player is considered to be worth. How much the team would want for the player is an entirely different story. Diarra's valuation was nowhere near how much Madrid paid to get him. Essien's valuation was nowhere near how much Chelsea paid to get him. Henry, great as he is, was valued nowhere near how much Real Madrid and Barcelona supposedly offered for him. Attempting to buy a player with multiple years left on his contract from a non-selling club (more specifically, a club that does not need to sell to operate) will obviously cost more. On the other hand, what de Jong went for was nowhere near indicative of his valuation. But with his contract nearly expiring, hey, that's the best they could get. It just is what it is.

Completely agree.

I can't wait for these next 2 weeks to pass
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:14 PM   #210
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Completely agree.

I can't wait for these next 2 weeks to pass

have you gone out and tried to buy a top-class player in 07 though? The $$ amounts wanted are INSANE. You have guys with values of 16 million dollars and their clubs won't give them up for anything less than 60 million dollars!

Given that I think the problem is magnified because of the smaller size of the DB in the quickstart, but it's almost impossible unless you're playing as Chelski to buy a player who will be anything less than a backup for a top-flight club for anything less than 30 million dollars, even if their value is 10 million dollars.

It's crazy. I suppose with Bosan's and larger DB's and more time to scout and all it won't be AS MUCH of a problem, but it just doesn't seem...right. I honestly think that if players became unsettled easier and WANTED to move more then it would work itself out, as those players would be available for value.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:19 AM   #211
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
That date already past.

Lol sorry, i meant 20th October.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #212
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
have you gone out and tried to buy a top-class player in 07 though? The $$ amounts wanted are INSANE. You have guys with values of 16 million dollars and their clubs won't give them up for anything less than 60 million dollars!

I have to agree with daedalus on this one. In FM '06, if I wanted a premium player, I had to pay top dollar no matter how much the valuation was. I was playing as Barca in 2015 and desperately needed a solid DC. Arsenal had a guy I wanted, but there was no way they were going to let him go for his valuation price given the fact that they were consistently competing for both Premiership and European titles. He was valued at 12.5 million pounds and we ended up meeting Arsenal's asking price of 50 million pounds for him. To get top quality stars, you have to overpay.

Is it insane? Maybe so. Is it realistic? I would suggest it is. If another big club wants my best players, I am going to make them pay through the nose for those players or they will not be getting them.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #213
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like a no-go on manageable USL leagues. All the teams and players are in the game, but you can not coach them. Some people at the SI forums are going to try to use the custom league editor to change it to where they are playable but I am not going to get my hopes up.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #214
rexallllsc
Banned

So where should I order this? GoGamer doesn't have it up, and Amazon.co.uk won't let me order it...and I don't want WWSM.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #215
Anguscl
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc View Post
So where should I order this? GoGamer doesn't have it up, and Amazon.co.uk won't let me order it...and I don't want WWSM.

hxxp://forum.gogamer.com/showthread.php?t=36&page=2

i asked on the gogamer forums as to when they will have it for sale, and a guy there said end of the week.
Anguscl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #216
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguscl View Post

i asked on the gogamer forums as to when they will have it for sale, and a guy there said end of the week.

Thank you
Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #217
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Given that I think the problem is magnified because of the smaller size of the DB in the quickstart, but it's almost impossible unless you're playing as Chelski to buy a player who will be anything less than a backup for a top-flight club for anything less than 30 million dollars, even if their value is 10 million dollars.

It's crazy. I suppose with Bosan's and larger DB's and more time to scout and all it won't be AS MUCH of a problem, but it just doesn't seem...right. I honestly think that if players became unsettled easier and WANTED to move more then it would work itself out, as those players would be available for value.
Who exactly are you trying to buy from what club?

As Ef27 and Ajaxab said, top class player at a top (non-selling) club will cost more. They don't NEED the money. If you try to buy one at a selling club, (assuming this new feature works correctly) their chairman would force the sale if the money is right. If not, simply to operate, they would sell. Experimenting with buying Ribery (because it would make Henry happy), I was able to get him for ~11. That's entirely reasonable. On the other hand, 'Boro (hi, Chief!) turned down a bid of 9+ from overseas for Boateng. Eh.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #218
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who exactly are you trying to buy from what club?

As Ef27 and Ajaxab said, top class player at a top (non-selling) club will cost more. They don't NEED the money. If you try to buy one at a selling club, (assuming this new feature works correctly) their chairman would force the sale if the money is right. If not, simply to operate, they would sell. Experimenting with buying Ribery (because it would make Henry happy), I was able to get him for ~11. That's entirely reasonable. On the other hand, 'Boro (hi, Chief!) turned down a bid of 9+ from overseas for Boateng. Eh.

just screwin around and playing with money...trying to buy dani alves from villareal (his value is 16 million), i had to pay ~60 million to get him. That's like what...3.5-4x his value? That's crazy. At that rate even chelsea can only afford 2 players a year. and that's not even considering that that would pretty much break the world record for transfers ever (although i'm not sure of my dollars to pounds conversion, so prolly not quite).
Old 10-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #219
daedalus
Pro Rookie

You want to buy a young player with high potential (at least according to my scouts when I was tinkering with the demo) with plenty of contract left from a club that doesn't NEED to sell too badly (they did well in the CL last year, though they are a smaller club). You are just going to spend money. Apparently, that comes out to 48 Euro/32 GBP which is darn high. On the other hand, Lyon held out until they got 26 GBP/48 USD when they player CLEARLY wanted to leave simply because, well, they didn't HAVE to sell.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:44 PM   #220
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You want to buy a young player with high potential (at least according to my scouts when I was tinkering with the demo) with plenty of contract left from a club that doesn't NEED to sell too badly (they did well in the CL last year, though they are a smaller club). You are just going to spend money. Apparently, that comes out to 48 Euro/32 GBP which is darn high. On the other hand, Lyon held out until they got 26 GBP/48 USD when they player CLEARLY wanted to leave simply because, well, they didn't HAVE to sell.

there were plenty more examples. that was just the most striking. walter samuel or marco matterazi from inter...inter wouldn't let either of them go for anything and i stopped trying around 20. matterazi is 32 years old, they're both sweepers, inter shouldn't need BOTH Of them, they should certainly be willing to take 20 million dollars for matterazi.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #221
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Materazzi and Samuel are the starting centre-back pairing for Inter. I think they aren't going to give either up cheaply.

Remember the computer is basically thinking if they sell Materazzi, could they replace him with equal or better quality for $20m? Probably not, certainly not immediately anyway, and if you are a team competing for top trophies it isn't worth the bother to take the risk. Especially when you don't need the money anyway.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:08 PM   #222
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Not like Inter don't have the talent to replace one or the other for 20 million though. Then again I guess with a larger DB this problem will be partially taken care of by opening up the amount of players to go after.

Jonathan de Guzman...18yo Canadian kid. Valued at 7 million dollars, Feyenoord property. Now you can't tell me Feyenoord couldn't use the money, but they're holding out for 25-30 million dollars.

Now I don't think he should come cheap, but at the same time I think there's someething out of whack where players don't request moves enough. If Real Madrid came in IRL for him and expressed interest (depending on the kid, i admit i don't know his personality), he would likely BEG Feyenoord to let him go and they'd let him leave for 15-17 mil. Not 25-30!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-10-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:15 AM   #223
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Not like Inter don't have the talent to replace one or the other for 20 million though. Then again I guess with a larger DB this problem will be partially taken care of by opening up the amount of players to go after.
I think everyone would agree that they have the talent to replace those players. But why SHOULD they? Inter could care less about making a profit on selling their players so unless you absolutely wow them or their really don't want the players, they have no need to sell. The same thing will likely happen with Juventus or Real Madrid or Chelsea or Manchester United. If this was the case, then I'm quite thrilled. I've always felt like big clubs were selling too easily and cheaply.
Quote:
Jonathan de Guzman...18yo Canadian kid. Valued at 7 million dollars, Feyenoord property. Now you can't tell me Feyenoord couldn't use the money, but they're holding out for 25-30 million dollars.
But why shouldn't they (hold out)? At his age, I'm assuming they've got him for another few years yet. They're in no danger of losing him. If you want to chase young players who have first team experience, be prepared to pay. Anelka was worth nowhere near what Arsenal got for him, in terms of valuation OR value. But he was young and he was, for what it was worth, proven (at the time).
Quote:
Now I don't think he should come cheap, but at the same time I think there's someething out of whack where players don't request moves enough. If Real Madrid came in IRL for him and expressed interest (depending on the kid, i admit i don't know his personality), he would likely BEG Feyenoord to let him go and they'd let him leave for 15-17 mil. Not 25-30!
I haven't had a chance to tinker with '07 enough to see whether or not this was the case (and I don't generally make comments about players in the press anyhow). But you could try that to see if that gets any reaction from him and that would give you clues into his personalities as well.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #224
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

n00b Q - how do I sign transfers? I'm a Third League team and I've offered about 50 guys that are worth $0, or $1000 with contracts all under $50/week. I get permission every time from the other club, but I have never been able to finalize a contract, no matter how much money I offer. Any tips/tricks?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #225
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Todd: Did you offer what they want? or did they just say "We don't want to sign with you"..
Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #226
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Todd: Did you offer what they want? or did they just say "We don't want to sign with you"..
I'd say 90% of the players say they don't want to play for me, but are willing to negotiate - all of these eventually end in negotiations breaking off. The other 10% give specific contract demands, which I meet, but never get a confirmed acceptance.

Is there a trick to finding the players who are willing to play for you, or is it trial and error? Do I need to offer 200 players in order to find the handful who will play for me?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #227
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Check the scouting reports, maybe?

Also, they won't instantly accept/reject, wait a couple days, and see if other teams are offering them..
Old 10-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #228
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

The lower your division, the harder it is to get quality players to come to your team. If you're league 2 or Conference for example, it's almost impossible to get anyone other than a youngster from a premiership team.

You might want to check the status on the contract screen. I've found often times in this version it's defaulted to backup. Changing that to first team or key player should help.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #229
3ric
College Starter

ToddZ:
Do you have your scout filtering your searches to only realistic signings?

Last edited by 3ric : 10-11-2006 at 03:01 PM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #230
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguscl View Post

hxxp://www.gogamer.com/Football-Manager-2007-Front-Page_stcVVproductId6419077VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

Says the release date is oct31 and $50.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #231
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
hxxp://www.gogamer.com/Football-Manager-2007-Front-Page_stcVVproductId6419077VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

Says the release date is oct31 and $50.

Where can I Get this quicker and cheaper?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:04 AM   #232
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Amazon. $30, October 24th (according to their site)
Old 10-12-2006, 01:27 AM   #233
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

In FM06, you used to be able, from the Player Profile screen, to release a comment at any time about a player (good or bad). I no longer seem to be able to do that. Has it moved?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:34 AM   #234
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
In FM06, you used to be able, from the Player Profile screen, to release a comment at any time about a player (good or bad). I no longer seem to be able to do that. Has it moved?

yep. to "player interaction" submenu (on the left bottom side) on their profile
Old 10-12-2006, 01:44 AM   #235
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Thanks.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 AM   #236
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Amazon. $30, October 24th (according to their site)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I only see Worldwide Soccer Manager 2007
Old 10-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #237
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

which is the same thing (you can even get an English English language pack for it
Old 10-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #238
dbd1963
High School JV

It isn't the same thing since mods and skins don't work for it. If that's important to you, then don't buy WWSM.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #239
OldSchool
High School Varsity

woohoo

Just placed my order for FM2007.

Time to wrap up the 2006 career I guess.
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #240
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963 View Post
It isn't the same thing since mods and skins don't work for it. If that's important to you, then don't buy WWSM.

I didn't know that. I remember seeing someone say the skins didn't work with the download version, but I had just assumed it worked with the CD version last year.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #241
Simms
FOBL Commish

I bought the download version of WWSM last year and used a ton a different mods and skins without any problem whatsover.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #242
dbd1963
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms View Post
I bought the download version of WWSM last year and used a ton a different mods and skins without any problem whatsover.

I had the download version also, but didn't go for any mods. I keep reading on the SI forum that there were problems but maybe they were down to other factors. Anyway, people are complaining that it was an issue.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #243
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Skins should definitely work with WWSM (exactly the same codebase) as will additional pictures etc., a very few unofficial editors have problems with it - normally these are related to them looking for something 'FM' related when they start up and can be rectified by renaming a folder/exe/whatever from WWSM to the FM equivalent (I can't say exactly what simply because 2007 isn't out yet and I've no idea what unofficial editors will appear for it).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #244
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Just out of curiosity, will there be a downloadable version of WWSM this year, and will it be done through the same provider?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #245
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963 View Post
I had the download version also, but didn't go for any mods. I keep reading on the SI forum that there were problems but maybe they were down to other factors. Anyway, people are complaining that it was an issue.

I have WSM2006 and I have added mods like crazy. Skins, logos, jerseys, for both clubs, competitions, or even national teams, and they have always worked without one tiny glitch.

FM
Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #246
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I have WSM2006 and I have added mods like crazy. Skins, logos, jerseys, for both clubs, competitions, or even national teams, and they have always worked without one tiny glitch.

FM

Me, three.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #247
Galaril
Pro Starter

So the MSL soundds like things are much improved. My last question is related to International club management. I remember there was a limit to the number of the friendlies an international side can set up.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #248
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Just out of curiosity, will there be a downloadable version of WWSM this year, and will it be done through the same provider?

From what everyone is sayingg, yes, there will be a downloadable version, but it's NOT the previous provider (Digital River did not work out for them, obviously), I think it's Elicense which is a known good guy.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #249
rexallllsc
Banned

So what exactly are the differences between WWSM and FM?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #250
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

1) Name
2) Default Language (American English vs English English)

That's all.