Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #201
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They've really lost me with this show, I guess it's on Friday's now. I still watch it when it's recorded, but I'm really losing interest. I shouldn't be surprised it got old fast, but I think the quality is noticeably poorer. Too much of the weekly random element, and back from the future flashback stories. Plus the girlfriend was from the future, that's kind of stupid.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:23 AM   #202
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They've really lost me with this show, I guess it's on Friday's now. I still watch it when it's recorded, but I'm really losing interest. I shouldn't be surprised it got old fast, but I think the quality is noticeably poorer. Too much of the weekly random element, and back from the future flashback stories. Plus the girlfriend was from the future, that's kind of stupid.
Wow I thought the show has been pretty good. A little slow at times. But it can't always be action action action. The girlfriend thing made sense if you saw all the episodes IMO.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 AM   #203
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Wow I thought the show has been pretty good. A little slow at times. But it can't always be action action action. The girlfriend thing made sense if you saw all the episodes IMO.

+1

I'm enjoying it. I like the future flash-forwards - it's a good way of drawing parallels and expanding the universe and stuff. And the GF being from the future made total sense. I'm a bit surprised I didn't suspect it earlier to be honest.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:37 AM   #204
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I may have missed 3-4 episodes then, cause it was definitely a wtf moment for me.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 AM   #205
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

you did miss it then stevew. there was a point where the GF and Jessie had a confrontation in the hotel room episodes before her death. essentially Jessie brought the GF back to befriend John and keep Cameron away from him and the GF was starting to crack. We've known the GF was from the future for a little bit, but they haven't necessarily been hinting it hard on the show so if you missed one episode and maybe turned away at one other point for 30 seconds you would have missed it
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #206
MikeVic
Head Coach

Still one of my favourite shows, and I thought the last few episodes have been great. I like the story a lot.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #207
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I completely disagree. Maybe my favorite show at the moment- I'm going to be really disappointed when it gets cancelled. It's a very smart show, well acted for a tv show- who'd have thought Brian Austin Green would resurrect his career here, and I really like almost all of the storylines they have going at the moment. It's really hard to do time travel right and they haven't screwed up yet. It fells like the spiritual successor to T2 and been infinitely better than T3.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #208
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Something this week was very anti-climactic (and somewhat disappointing in that regard) and this is kindof the second time in two weeks that they've done that.

The rest of the episode, it could be that they're hitting the "scramble" button to shake everything up again but previews for next week's season (probably series) finale look like they're going to make it more simple.

What Weaver was talking about with Ellison in the elevator make me really curious what they were going to do with the show and that much more irritated that we probably won't find out.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-05-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #209
Tigercat
College Starter

Yea, both subtractions were a bit strange.

I think I have a pretty good idea about where they are going:
Spoiler

Last edited by Tigercat : 04-05-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #210
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Something this week was very anti-climactic (and somewhat disappointing in that regard) and this is kindof the second time in two weeks that they've done that.

The rest of the episode, it could be that they're hitting the "scramble" button to shake everything up again but previews for next week's season (probably series) finale look like they're going to make it more simple.

What Weaver was talking about with Ellison in the elevator make me really curious what they were going to do with the show and that much more irritated that we probably won't find out.

SI

I have seen others note this as well has it been confirmed that the show is cancelled after this season? It would be too bad to get rid of this in favor of Doll House what a oiece of skank laden trash.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #211
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Tigercat-

I think you're pretty much right with the spoiler tagged material- that's what my wife and I were thinking, too. That said, there's room to go with that even. If you've ever read "I, Robot" (no, not the Will Smith movie which references the name and that's about it)- the paradox is simple in that humans essentially have to be protected from themselves.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-05-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #212
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I have seen others note this as well has it been confirmed that the show is cancelled after this season? It would be too bad to get rid of this in favor of Doll House what a oiece of skank laden trash.

no it hasn't been confirmed. people are just expecting this to happen.

i missed friday's episode (asleep with a headache). i need to watch it online here in a few
Old 04-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #213
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Yea, both subtractions were a bit strange.

I think I have a pretty good idea about where they are going:
Spoiler

i like this idea - i've got no problem with it
Old 04-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #214
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
no it hasn't been confirmed. people are just expecting this to happen.

i missed friday's episode (asleep with a headache). i need to watch it online here in a few

It hasn't been confirmed but it's been getting pretty bad ratings. Tv.com is claiming that the decision hinges on how well Terminator: Salvation does. Seems kindof silly to me since TSCC disavows the existence of the T3/T4 time line but whatever. Anything to get another season or so out of this show would be good with me.

SI

Old 04-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #215
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

my only thought about the spoiler-tagged thought is that if that was the case then why have the present-day-liquid killing the worker in the bathroom and all?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #216
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
my only thought about the spoiler-tagged thought is that if that was the case then why have the present-day-liquid killing the worker in the bathroom and all?

All terminators have shown that they will kill to get their way. See: Cameron being "good" but not afraid to kill individuals and the captain of the sub. If the liquid is some kind of "good," the bigger question is about the mass killing at the factory. In that case I am wondering if the factory wasn't discovered by the other faction, and that's why she felt the need to go Rambo on it. When John Henry picked up the transmission that the factory had been compromised, she might suspected correctly that the other faction was involved. (It looked like the security guy that kidnapped Sarah was working for a team that wasn't associated with her company. At least that's the impression that I got.)
Old 04-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #217
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

good point tigercat...and that was sorta the same conclusion i came to after finishing watching the episode.

agree that that's definately the way they're going with it - surprised about the end of the episode this week
Old 04-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #218
revrew
Team Chaplain

I'm wondering (after the liquid on submarine episode), if I'm forgetting something from the T2/T3 movies. I was under the impression the liquid was just a more advanced form of Terminator, developed by the machines. This discussion of the SCC liquid being possibly altruistic and/or competing with the machines seems odd. If my previously stated assumption holds, wouldn't the SCC liquid have the same motives as the other Terminators: protect Skynet's development?
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #219
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think of it more like the Matrix. Maybe there's not all harmony in the robot camp- we just don't see it from the random bots sent back to kill John. Some robots have their "own" interests like the Oracle or Merovingian in the Matrix

SI

Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #220
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
I'm wondering (after the liquid on submarine episode), if I'm forgetting something from the T2/T3 movies. I was under the impression the liquid was just a more advanced form of Terminator, developed by the machines. This discussion of the SCC liquid being possibly altruistic and/or competing with the machines seems odd. If my previously stated assumption holds, wouldn't the SCC liquid have the same motives as the other Terminators: protect Skynet's development?

That would have been the assumption before the show for sure. But the whole sub episode seems to hint that there are factions. (The terminator trying to kidnap the liquid's "child" adds to that possibility too obviously.) How a splinter faction may have formed, who knows. Maybe certain models of individual terminators evolved beyond the programing of skynet? I think Arnold and Cameron have shown that terminators under the right circumstances can act beyond being closed circuited sentinels. Maybe they saw the scorched earth around them, and find the choices that were made by skynet illogical. Maybe future Connor found a way to start the insurrection. (Virus or hacking on terminators not under his control to get them to think independent of skynet?)

Last edited by Tigercat : 04-05-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #221
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Surprised to see them whack David Silver like that. I need to rewatch the episodes I missed. Not sure how cromartie switched to John Henry.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #222
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

WOW. that was pretty cool when they came face-to-face with the liquid. i found the whole john-cameron "check if i'm functioning right" thing to be fairly blatant in its sexual-innuendo and sort of disturbing. one hell of a mindfuck in the last 5 minutes

Spoiler
Old 04-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #223
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

What an awesome season finale. I really really hope they bring this show back. It would be a shame to pull the plug now.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #224
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why are we spoiler tagging shows that have already aired?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #225
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
i found the whole john-cameron "check if i'm functioning right" thing to be fairly blatant in its sexual-innuendo and sort of disturbing.

Disturbing. John seemed to be turned on by the fact that he was skin to skin with her and he had his hand in her metal parts. But I guess when your major daddy figure growing up was metal, your idea about intimacy with robots gets kinda skewed.

I am sure they would explain it more later, but I found Sarah not wanting to follow John way out of character, and hard to believe a legit reasoning for it. Her first instinct is always to protect him, and she just didn't have time to decide that he may be better off without her in this specific instant. Hell, she didn't have enough information on what was going on to make that kind of decision.

But anyway, a good finale. Would be interesting to see how well they could do a terminator future storyline on a TV budget.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #226
MikeVic
Head Coach

Holy crap they better not cancel this series. Great finale!
Old 04-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #227
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
WOW. that was pretty cool when they came face-to-face with the liquid. i found the whole john-cameron "check if i'm functioning right" thing to be fairly blatant in its sexual-innuendo and sort of disturbing. one hell of a mindfuck in the last 5 minutes

Spoiler
Well you have to remember because he went into the future he technically doesn't exist in this timeline now...
Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #228
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Well you have to remember because he went into the future he technically doesn't exist in this timeline now...

right
Old 04-12-2009, 02:05 AM   #229
Tigercat
College Starter

Its something I always thought about with forward time travel, shouldn't every future time travel trip look like that? You are taking yourself out of the equation for the future if you go forward in time; you move forward in time with your body and mind and there is nothing that stays behind in the present to age into the future.

Seems like you should never run into your future self when time traveling.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #230
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Its something I always thought about with forward time travel, shouldn't every future time travel trip look like that? You are taking yourself out of the equation for the future if you go forward in time; you move forward in time with your body and mind and there is nothing that stays behind in the present to age into the future.

Seems like you should never run into your future self when time traveling.
Exactly!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #231
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just caught up on the finale on DVR tonight.

Spoiler

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-13-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #232
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

-I hope they have a plan to keep it going and they didn't write themselves into a corner. I'm somewhat sure that they have a plan - maybe we'll see an interview where someone asks them that. If not, well they gave a hell of a "fuck you" to Fox for canceling them.

-I agree with your thoughts on the future direction of the plotlines if things go forward. If the show gets renewed then the liquid+john pickup Derek & Cameron in the future and bring them back to the present day.

-As far as the abomination that was Enterprise's "Temporal Cold War" storyline - that shit killed the show for me pretty much.

-The reveal of Weaver definately lived up to my expectations, in a major way. I was literally sitting in front of the tv whooping and bouncing.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #233
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
-As far as the abomination that was Enterprise's "Temporal Cold War" storyline - that shit killed the show for me pretty much.

Enterprise had so much potential as an idea, but, again, they had nowhere near the caliber of writers to pull it off. They would occasionally come across some great ideas for plots but could never execute them. A time war would have been a great idea and here we're essentially seeing that in TSCC. There, they just mentioned it a couple of times "because it sounded cool" and didn't do anything good with the idea.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-13-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #234
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Enterprise had so much potential as an idea, but, again, they had nowhere near the caliber of writers to pull it off. They would occasionally come across some great ideas for plots but could never execute them. A time war would have been a great idea and here we're essentially seeing that in TSCC. There, they just mentioned it a couple of times "because it sounded cool" and didn't do anything good with the idea.

SI

Oh I know. Count me as one who was hugely excited for the premise of Enterprise - humanity venturing out into space...I really thought it had the potential to be amazing and very insightful.

Problem was "Temporal Cold War" sounded cool so they shifted the whole focus to that, and then inserted the Suliban and the Xindi and their whole attack on Earth and it just became...stupid. When you have to resort to a line of thinking involving alternate realities to explain we wouldn't have heard of any of these things in any of the other televised incarnations of the franchise it's a huge problem IMO. Because then you're forcing your viewers to make implicit value judgements on which reality they prefer. And obviously in that instance when you're 1 series going up against 4 series you're going to lose.

The episodes of Enterprise that I enoy were the ones that have no mention of the fucking Xindi or the Expanse, or the Temporal Cold War or the Suliban. The episodes I enjoyed were the ones that were either self-contained and not dealing with those things - mysteries on planets or in space, or that gave us looks at Klingons/Vulcans/Andorians/Tellerites/etc in new ways. I also thought (personal nitpick) that they made the humans way too comfortable around the more advanced technology of some of the other races. Would have loved the reactions to be more "awe" than "ho hum".

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-13-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #235
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh I know. Count me as one who was hugely excited for the premise of Enterprise - humanity venturing out into space...I really thought it had the potential to be amazing and very insightful.

Problem was "Temporal Cold War" sounded cool so they shifted the whole focus to that, and then inserted the Suliban and the Xindi and their whole attack on Earth and it just became...stupid. When you have to resort to a line of thinking involving alternate realities to explain we wouldn't have heard of any of these things in any of the other televised incarnations of the franchise it's a huge problem IMO. Because then you're forcing your viewers to make implicit value judgements on which reality they prefer. And obviously in that instance when you're 1 series going up against 4 series you're going to lose.

The episodes of Enterprise that I enoy were the ones that have no mention of the fucking Xindi or the Expanse, or the Temporal Cold War or the Suliban. The episodes I enjoyed were the ones that were either self-contained and not dealing with those things - mysteries on planets or in space, or that gave us looks at Klingons/Vulcans/Andorians/Tellerites/etc in new ways. I also thought (personal nitpick) that they made the humans way too comfortable around the more advanced technology of some of the other races. Would have loved the reactions to be more "awe" than "ho hum".

If you could have just kept the awe factor up, it would have been a big step in the right direction. I mean, geez- it's the first time humans have really gotten anywhere in space. It should be amazing and awe inspiring and be more of a drama that tugs at those angels of our better nature, those things that want us to succeed as humanity. Instead, it was pulpy sci-fi that was on after rasslin' on a network that no longer exists.

The Xindi plot was basically recycled DS9 Dominion War plots without good writing while the Expanse crap- wasn't there something like that in Voyager (which wasn't very good either so why are you copying from that?!?)

Anyways, we're way off track. Here's to hoping T4 gets $100M its first weekend (it won't) and they'll bring back the show on the spot for next season (hooray!)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-13-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #236
MikeVic
Head Coach

No More Terminator On TV

Hopefully this isn't a true report.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #237
gi
College Prospect

Hearing a lot of rumors that it's a done deal. It's gone
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #238
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Most out there right now are your typical internet echo chamber. They're almost all based on the EW story and quoting the EW story and have no sources of their own. I'd like to see something a little bit more concrete but, as we've been saying for months, it doesn't look good.

I doubt Fox will say anything official until after T4 comes out.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-15-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #239
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Most out there right now are your typical internet echo chamber. They're almost all based on the EW story and quoting the EW story and have no sources of their own. I'd like to see something a little bit more concrete but, as we've been saying for months, it doesn't look good.

I doubt Fox will say anything official until after T4 comes out.

SI

In the EW article, a Fox execute said the fall schedule will be announced May 18th... which is three days before the movie even premieres. So I don't think they'll be looking at the movie, as stupid as that sounds...
Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #240
duckman
Pro Starter

SCC is no more...

hxxp://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/05/18/terminator-the-sarah-connor-chronicles-and-what-might-have-been/
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #241
MikeVic
Head Coach

Old 05-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #242
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly had this to say about Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles at a press conference:

Quote:
[Sarah Connor] has completed its run. I think it had a nice little run. It was a good show. It was not an either or [with Dollhouse]. We did see it tailing off a bit [in the ratings]. It had a nice creative core, but, ultimately, we made the bet on Dollhouse, so that's it for [Sarah Connor]... We make no apologies. We gave it a lot of support and some consistent scheduling. We tried and thought it was time to move on.

They can't keep their story straight for 3 sentences.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #243
JediKooter
Coordinator

RIP...

Getting sent to Friday nights is the kiss of death.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #244
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Dang- again, maybe had become my favorite show. I was a little hopeful since stuff that really didn't have much of a shot had been getting renewed like Dollhouse and Chuck but I also had a feeling in the back of my mind that this would be the one exception even tho it didn't make much sense.

SI

Old 05-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #245
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*scared to see why this was bumped*
Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #246
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

gah. sadness

and wait - you made the bet on DOLLHOUSE??? REALLY!?!?! DOLLHOUSE?!?!?!

*sighs*

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-18-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #247
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As I said in the other thread... SCC has had more than one season.

And do not underestimate the power of Whedon fans. They will hype this up beyond all reckoning (though I do like the show) and watching 10 billion times on Hulu or DVD (or both).
Old 05-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #248
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Can't believe this has been canned - especially not with the movie onroute .... just on the back of that it'd get great viewing/DVD sales I'd expect (especially if they managed to tie the storyline into the movie somehow).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #249
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
gah. sadness

and wait - you made the bet on DOLLHOUSE??? REALLY!?!?! DOLLHOUSE?!?!?!

*sighs*

Yeah, I know I watch five minutes of dollhouse and was done.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #250
Travis
Pro Rookie

I had hoped both Dollhouse and SCC would make it to next season. As it is I'm glad it appears we'll get one, but still too bad SCC had to be lost. Especially with how many new reality shows will likely be coming out.