Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #201
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I had a couple of guys break 100 SBs in the early 2000s.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #202
Ksyrup

I just finished simming through 2008. Talk about futility - the Phillies made the playoffs ONCE since 1901 - in 1969, just in time for divisional playoffs - so they never even made the WS once. This team has been so historically bad, they only finished second 5 times - and 3 of those were from 1904 through 1906!!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #203
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

damn
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #204
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I just finished simming through 2008. Talk about futility - the Phillies made the playoffs ONCE since 1901 - in 1969, just in time for divisional playoffs - so they never even made the WS once. This team has been so historically bad, they only finished second 5 times - and 3 of those were from 1904 through 1906!!

sounds a little like the Texas Rangers.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #205
Ksyrup

The "players miss seasons according to history" feature... does that apply to every player who missed a season, for whatever reason, or just guys like Ted Williams who missed for special reasons? I like the idea of that feature, but I'm not sure I want guys who were injured IRL to miss a season in the sim for no apparent reason.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #206
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
sounds a little like the Texas Rangers.
Your username makes this comment amazing.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #207
Ksyrup

So I'm running a second 1901 historical sim, and I just passed 1986. The Red Sox beat the Mets 4-3 in the World Series!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #208
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So I'm running a second 1901 historical sim, and I just passed 1986. The Red Sox beat the Mets 4-3 in the World Series!

what was the reasoning behind the re-do? also, do you do amateur draft or let history stay relatively intact?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #209
Ksyrup

I just like running multiple sims. I think the only thing I did differently was not import the history from before 1901 (although I don't understand why some records still exist from pre-1901?). I was trying to eliminate all of the pitching records from the 1800s - but it didn't work (unless I don't understand what the import of records means...?).

I don't do a draft, just place the players on the teams they came up with.

In the re-do, I had a couple of monster teams. The 1996 Dodgers won 119 games and were like an all-star team. They had Roberto Alomar, Mondesi, Tony Gwynn, Piazza, and a few other name position players I can't recall right now, plus Greg (and Mike!) Maddux, Smoltz, the Pedros (Martinez and Astacio)... it was ridiculous. There was also a team that won 121 games, but it was late and I don't remember the details.

The Marlins won the WS in their 3rd year - they bought Griffey and Thome in FA and won 103 games.

Oh, and the Philles were even worse than that other sim I did! NO playoff appearances in their history, and only 5 2nd place finishes - 1 of which was 79-83. They had 11 seasons of .500 record or better from 1901 through 2008!!
Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #210
TroyF
Coordinator

Just had my most amazing season by a player ever in my OOTP career. 2029, a guy by the name of Jiro Murata.

He hit .400, 167 runs, 253 hits, 39 doubles, 12 triples, 47 HR, 199 RBI, 91 BB, 59 K, 26 SB, 209 OPS+, 131.5 VORP. The surprising thing? He ended up with 3 intentional walks all year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #211
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I have been wanting to buy this game for weeks now, but all the concerns about finances sort of pushed me away. What is everyone doing about their league finances? If anyone can suggest a setup that doesn't require babysitting (even if it's far from perfect), that would be the only push I need to get me into this game.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #212
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I have been wanting to buy this game for weeks now, but all the concerns about finances sort of pushed me away. What is everyone doing about their league finances? If anyone can suggest a setup that doesn't require babysitting (even if it's far from perfect), that would be the only push I need to get me into this game.

Any thoughts?

There are some minor things you can do if you notice irregularities in the game and some generally advised things that take a few minutes to setup that are worth doing, too, depending on how you play.

I don't play in a "natural" way, so my YMMV with my suggestions, but..my suggestions are:

- Set media money to the same amount for all teams, rather than letting the game determine it by media market.
- Turn off coaches & scouts
- Set three levels of minors, with the last level having at least 40-man roster, the rest can be 25-man.
- Turn ghost players on.
- Set visiting team share to 40%
- Allow teams to spend all of their budget money, rather than having the owner set the amount.

I play without injuries on and fast-sim seasons, so my results might be weirder since I can make assumptions in my games that other people can't (namely, my guys don't get hurt) but...simming 200+ years allows me to see how the game handles certain things and while I have some gripes about certain things related to contracts and such alike, doing the above things over time has resulted in a financial model that I find tolerable and allows teams to compete well without a lot of intervention from me.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #213
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quick question:

I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize I didn't have a backup catcher till about August 1st. Brought up one from AAA and put him in cause my starter was totally exhausted. It's been about 2, maybe 3 series, and he is still at 0% and totally exhausted....... ??
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #214
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wonder why their forum has been down most of the day?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #215
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Just noticed that myself...
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #216
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I decided to start an MLB dynasty with an inaugural draft. I've never done this in any game before. What's a good strategy to use when drafting a team? Is there one? Are there many? What do you guys like?

I am playing the cincinnati reds and I have thought about it and decided to draft a team with a very good defensive middle infield, and draft pitchers with higher ground ball %. I will look for left handed hitters with a preference for power considering it is GABP.

What are some teams you like to build?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #217
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola,

is there any draft strategy in baseball that is good to follow? Are there certain positions you try and attack first in the draft? SP? SS?

I noticed there tend to be less 4 1/2 star to 5 star shortstops and with my above strategy in mind I was thinking of drafting Troy Tulowitzki. (I am 10th in the draft so that is if he falls to me) I thought maybe I should attack the SS position first with there being limited stars. I notice there are few all-star closers as well. Would that be a good second pick or should I just forget that and take a good reliever later and turn him into a closer?

Would be interested in hearing what others think. One, to drum up some discussion, and two, because I've truly never thought about this before and realized I am not sure where to even start.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #218
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
dola,

is there any draft strategy in baseball that is good to follow? Are there certain positions you try and attack first in the draft? SP? SS?

I noticed there tend to be less 4 1/2 star to 5 star shortstops and with my above strategy in mind I was thinking of drafting Troy Tulowitzki. (I am 10th in the draft so that is if he falls to me) I thought maybe I should attack the SS position first with there being limited stars. I notice there are few all-star closers as well. Would that be a good second pick or should I just forget that and take a good reliever later and turn him into a closer?

Would be interested in hearing what others think. One, to drum up some discussion, and two, because I've truly never thought about this before and realized I am not sure where to even start.

you should wait until later to draft a closer. ootp tends to undervalue top relief pitchers. even if you don't get a good one in the inaugural draft, you can usually pickup a super stud closer in the subsequent ammy drafts.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #219
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Need to DL the demo one of these days
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #220
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Started playing my OOTP 11 career with the Indians a few weeks ago. I plan on playing each game out and I'm not doing so well (very realistic I guess). I'm 32-41 and I find myself 8 games out of 1st place Minn.

Any how - here is a blockbuster trade that went wrong:
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Could not have happened to a better team - IMO

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 06-14-2010 at 12:21 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #221
Mota
College Benchwarmer

LOL and a lot of those injuries cause permanent damage too... good luck.

I hate the injuries that ruin your players and you still have 2-3 years on their contracts...
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #222
henry296
College Starter

Just downloaded the demo and a couple of questions so far.

1. Do you have to hit space bar after every play or is there an option to remove that? It is annoying and would be difficult for 162 games per season.
2. Noticed that the photo for PNC Park is actually Citizens Bank Park, can I change that?
3. If I want to sim, any advice on simplifying the strategy? Is their a recommend button so that it makes sure my power hitters are set to bunt rarely, etc. I'm a bit overwhelmed by that sections with all of the permutations.
4. When playing a game, can I select hold runners and pitch around? Once I hit old runners, the play is run.

That is all for now, but I'm sure I'll have more as I haven't played OOTP in a long time.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #223
henry296
College Starter

One more question...

Can you import historical rookies into the draft before the make their debut like PureSim so they have some time in the minors?
Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #224
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
One more question...

Can you import historical rookies into the draft before the make their debut like PureSim so they have some time in the minors?

BUMP - I would love to know the answer to this. I swear this option used to be in the game but I couldn't find it when I was trying to set up historical leagues. Maybe I was just thinking of Puresim all along then?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #225
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
BUMP - I would love to know the answer to this. I swear this option used to be in the game but I couldn't find it when I was trying to set up historical leagues. Maybe I was just thinking of Puresim all along then?

Using the spritze DB you can, they will be draftable after high school age. You can pick up the DB at padresfans mod site.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #226
henry296
College Starter

It isn't working like I thought. I download the spritze Real Time, All Players High School db, changed the path and imported the 85 season and didn't get Bonds on the pirates.

I also pulled up the csv files and didn't see the corrected info. Am I doing something wrong, or download the wrong one?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #227
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Saw this tidbit over at the OOTP forums from Markus...

Quote:
OOTP 12 will focus on financials, immersion and AI improvements.

But OOTP 13 will feature something which I wanted to do for years, a really cool 2D/3D representation engine (with stadium builder etc, which will be a modders dream). In fact, that thing is already in development...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #228
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but the fact it is already in development maybe means its going to be in iootp (ootp for the ipad)
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #229
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Saw this tidbit over at the OOTP forums from Markus...

Could not be better news, as those are the the things that need worked on the most.

I'm drooling for 2013.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #230
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

OOTP 11 has become my favorite text sim, right alongside FOF, and actually probably surpassing it.

Markus and Co. did one hell of a job with v11 and I'm really excited for v12 and will definitely pre-order it once it's available next week.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #231
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm still waitinhg for the end of '10, start of '11 file with baited breath
Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #232
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Could not be better news, as those are the the things that need worked on the most.

I'm drooling for 2013.

+1 At last a modern version of Micro-League
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #233
SegRat
High School Varsity

Is there logos somewhere for OOTP 8? If so where do you put them? Any tips on getting started? I am trying OOTP 8 to get used to it before the iphone/ipad version is released.