Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #201
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
McKenzie reporting Pitkanen is close to resigning with the Canes.

3 yrs/13.5 mil for Pitkanen.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #202
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
3 yrs/13.5 mil for Pitkanen.

That's actually a pretty fair deal. Paul Martin got $5m last year for 5 seasons. Pitkanen is better offensively, worse defensively.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #203
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11179/1156789-100.stm

Jagr offered 1 year deal by Penguins

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-28-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #204
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
McKenzie is reporting Ehroff turned down a Bieksa deal and Vancouver is shopping the rights to him.

And Ehroff's rights have been acquired by Garth Snow and the New York Islanders for a 4th round pick. If Ehroff ends up signing with the Isles then we know he's really not about winning.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #205
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

According to the Philly Daily News the Flyers will send in an offer sheet to Stamkos for 10+ years.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #206
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
And Ehroff's rights have been acquired by Garth Snow and the New York Islanders for a 4th round pick. If Ehroff ends up signing with the Isles then we know he's really not about winning.

If he was about winning, he probably would have just re-signed in Vancouver.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #207
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
If he was about winning, he probably would have just re-signed in Vancouver.

ZING!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #208
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
The prickly thing is that with both Detroit and Columbus wanting to go east, either one would have to stay behind or the two conferences would be imbalanced (if done strictly by geography--could you have an Atlantic/Midwest conference and a Mideast/Pacific conference?).

As to division playoffs, the idea that's been bandied about is to restore the division playoffs for at least one round (meaning the top four from each division advance regardless of conference standings), then switch to conference seedings thereafter. To me, that's somewhat nonsensical and that if you're going to go into divisional playoffs, you may as well go all the way and restore the 1980s format.

Me personally, I believe that the conferences should be dropped, which would allow for some more creative divisional alignments.

Phoenix seems like it could be a wild-card if they can't get a buyer.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #209
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
That's actually a pretty fair deal. Paul Martin got $5m last year for 5 seasons. Pitkanen is better offensively, worse defensively.

4.5 per is right about where expectations were going to be, maybe a little more than that, even.

It's been a rather abrupt sea change since about the time the cap floor was announced to go up as much as it was. Before that point, the front office was pretty consistently saying it was unlikely they were going to sign Pitkanen (or Jokinen for that matter), but lo, and behold, find yourself quite a bit under the floor and you find yourself spending to make it there. Since the floor was announced, Jim Rutherford put his budget at about $50 million, so it's now a question of how much the current UFAs re-sign for rather than whether they'll re-sign at all. Speculation is now that Jokinen and Cole will re-sign, while LaRose and Stillman are up in the air. The other big-dollar re-signing to do is Brandon Sutter, who's expected to get a substantial raise over his entry-level deal even as an RFA.

edit: now that I say that, of course, I go and read Canes Country and they're now saying that JR thinks Cole and Jokinen might not re-sign. I'm guessing JR's waging one of his usual passive-aggressive campaigns and daring either player to find bigger deals when free agency comes (JR's also got the luxury of knowing that Charlotte's got a fair number of prospects in the wings ready to move in should they not re-sign).

Last edited by Wolfpack : 06-28-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #210
DeToxRox
Head Coach

sportsnetbroph Mike Brophy
Hearing tonight Stamkos may be signed at between $7-7.5 mil per season
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #211
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
So I read the Rangers can't buy out Drury, how is this going to affect their play in the FA market, mainly Richards- I've been reading for like a year now that Richards is going to end up in NY and I'm just wondering if this will hurt the Rangers ability to spend in free agency. Once the season starts Drury goes LTIR and they are good to go.

Drury buyout done

How soon before he signs a Jagr-like comeback, 1 year deal with the Avs?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #212
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Bruins shopping the rights to Kaberle. Suppose it's worth a shot...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #213
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Panthers signed Tomas Kopecky for 4 years/$12 million.

I know that the Panthers need to get to the cap floor, but Kopecky for $3 million a year? That's madness. Dale Tallon loooooves to give big contracts.

Chad Larose re-upped with the Hurricanes 2 years for an average of $1.7 million.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #214
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
According to the Philly Daily News the Flyers will send in an offer sheet to Stamkos for 10+ years.

These rumors are getting ridiculous. Even if the Flyers do send an offer, it won't be the best, and Tampa will match it. Sure the prospect of Stamkos is exciting but I'm worried about other things, like hoping Leino prices himself into free agency so we can sign someone who likes playing defense.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #215
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Panthers are the only team that can get Stamkos and it'd have to be a lot of money to get him to go there. 10 years/100 mil wouldn't shock me though should he not be locked up before the 1st.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #216
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Panthers are the only team that can get Stamkos and it'd have to be a lot of money to get him to go there. 10 years/100 mil wouldn't shock me though should he not be locked up before the 1st.

That's not true. The Leafs could do it too, and I bet some others.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #217
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Panthers signed Tomas Kopecky for 4 years/$12 million.

I know that the Panthers need to get to the cap floor, but Kopecky for $3 million a year? That's madness. Dale Tallon loooooves to give big contracts.

Chad Larose re-upped with the Hurricanes 2 years for an average of $1.7 million.

Tyler Kennedy is stupid if he signs with the Pens before Friday now. He's twice the player Kopecky is.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #218
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Tyler Kennedy is stupid if he signs with the Pens before Friday now. He's twice the player Kopecky is.

I think he said he wants to test FA, won't rule out re-signing with the Pens. But they might get priced out.. he's not -that- good.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #219
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
That's not true. The Leafs could do it too, and I bet some others.

Agree there are others.

Philly could arguably do it.
Dallas has 17 players signed for next season...and are still $25M under the cap (not that I see them making an offer).

Florida would actually be stupid to do this...they'd be giving up top 10 1st rounders. Philly is at least giving up 1st in the 20 range.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #220
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
I think he said he wants to test FA, won't rule out re-signing with the Pens. But they might get priced out.. he's not -that- good.

I agree he's not -that- good. But he's a 24 year old coming off a 20+ goal season in a weak free agent class. Someone will offer him $3M+.

I said earlier in this thread, Michael Ryder will get an offer of $4M+. Jussi Jokinen $4.5M+ and term of 4+ years.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #221
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree he's not -that- good. But he's a 24 year old coming off a 20+ goal season in a weak free agent class. Someone will offer him $3M+.

I said earlier in this thread, Michael Ryder will get an offer of $4M+. Jussi Jokinen $4.5M+ and term of 4+ years.

Stupid cap floor. Though like I said, if it prices Leino out, okay. I'd rather Erik Cole at this point.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #222
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Agree there are others.

Philly could arguably do it.
Dallas has 17 players signed for next season...and are still $25M under the cap (not that I see them making an offer).

Florida would actually be stupid to do this...they'd be giving up top 10 1st rounders. Philly is at least giving up 1st in the 20 range.

Philly could technically do it, they'd have to convince Hartnell to waive his NTC or just plain waive him, and probably force Schenn to play in the AHL the whole year (or trade Versteeg), and likely trade Bob. A lot more roster blowup, not sure if its worth it.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #223
DeToxRox
Head Coach

RealKyper Nick Kypreos

Big #NHL news as some question #Predators missing qualifying offers on RFA's O'Reilly, Spaling, Halischuk and Kostitsyn. Stay tuned...
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #224
The Jackal
Coordinator

Smooth.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #225
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I will admit that I think there is a 80% chance Tampa matches any offer. Any team that makes an offer also has to have the 4 first rounders they would lose if Stamkos signs with them. I am listening to WIP and the number that is floating around is a 14 year deal worth 110 million which would be a cap hit of 7.85 million a year. The Flyers could front load that contract and really hamstring Tampa who lost 20 to 25 million last year.

With what is happening, I doubt Leino resigns because he knows he can get 4 million plus in FA. I think Cole would be a nice addition at the right price.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #226
The Jackal
Coordinator

Eh I still think Tampa would match it. The only thing I could see them not matching was something close to a max deal.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #227
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Max is now $12.86M. I don't even think Philly gives that out.

At some point the cap has to stop going up $4-5M a year.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #228
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Flyers also have to be careful not to screw themselves in the essence that once they make that offer to Stamkos, Tampa has 7 days to decide whether or not to match it. You are only allowed to exceed the salary cap by 10% in the offseason, so that could hurt who they target come Friday.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #229
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

On top of all this there is the fact that the current CBA is set to expire next year, I believe. Who knows what that could bring.

Also, while Philly, or some other team, may have cap space this year that kind of mega deal can really hamstring a team in future years. While Stamkos is probably one of a handful of players who could justifiably could be worth that sort of cap hit, a team can only have so many big money, long term deals without getting handcuffed.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #230
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Also, as much as I would like to see Stamkos stay with Steve Yzerman in Tampa, I do like the excitement and drama that comes with a RFA offer sheet, so I hope it happens.

This kind of stuff is my Fourth of July fireworks.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #231
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Also, as much as I would like to see Stamkos stay with Steve Yzerman in Tampa, I do like the excitement and drama that comes with a RFA offer sheet, so I hope it happens.

This kind of stuff is my Fourth of July fireworks.

I hope someone offer sheets someone. Otherwise this is the Brad Richards show starring 3rd line forwards and #4 d-men.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #232
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Max is now $12.86M. I don't even think Philly gives that out.

At some point the cap has to stop going up $4-5M a year.

No the Flyers wouldn't come close to that. But another team might, at least in the 10m range.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #233
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Thinking about this a little more...

If Philly knew they wanted to give Stamkos an offersheet, they should have gone with a D at #8 Friday.

Couturier is not a Stamkos level player, but Giroux, JVR, Schenn, Briere (still signed for awhile) + Stamkos is a good group of forwards.

They have no one on D. Pronger is 36(?). Timonen is 36(?). Coburn and Carle are both UFAs next year--and neither is a top pair guy, IMO.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #234
The Jackal
Coordinator

I would have liked to see a D as well but you can't fault them for taking Couturier, who could easily end up being the best player in the draft, and is penciled in to fill the role of a shutdown center, something I don't want any of those other guys doing.

The Flyers are not going to get Stamkos.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #235
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hearing Jagr to get a 1 yr deal worth 1.4 mil.

Also a radio host in Tampa saying his sources tell him Stamkos has been resigned, no confirmation as of yet.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #236
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Hearing Jagr to get a 1 yr deal worth 1.4 mil.

Also a radio host in Tampa saying his sources tell him Stamkos has been resigned, no confirmation as of yet.

Saw this too, from a Russian paper. That seems WAY low to me.
I'm expecting 2-2.5
Old 06-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #237
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
RealKyper Nick Kypreos

Big #NHL news as some question #Predators missing qualifying offers on RFA's O'Reilly, Spaling, Halischuk and Kostitsyn. Stay tuned...

When did the Minnesota Vikings join the NHL?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #238
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres lock up RFA Nathan Gerbe to a 3-year, $4.3 million deal.

NY Post reports that Richards is seeking a 8-year, $50-$55 million deal.

http://wgr550.com/Richards--agent---...ive--/10234794
Richards' agent: "Tell Darcy to be aggressive"

Brad Richards will be the biggest prize on the free agent market come Friday at noon. This morning we spoke with his agent Pat Morris, who laid out all that his client is looking for from his next team. It sure sounds like Buffalo could fit the bill.

The money will come. That's a certainty. A #1 center in a market with very few options at center will get the big bucks. Morris says that Richards has other things he's looking for, "He would like to first and foremost, when you've won a Stanley Cup, you want to win another one. He'd like to win again and have an opportunity to be with a team that has younger players coming in to fill and in a market where hockey matters every game, game in and game out with full buildings. A hockey market with an opportunity to win are the top 2 criteria."

Morris said he would not be surprised to hear from 25 teams around the league, some kicking tires, other presenting serious offers. It remains to be seen just how serious the Sabres would be in pursuit of Richards, or if he'd ultimately choose to come here, but Morris would expect the two sides to be a good fit.

"With our offices in Mississauga, we know Buffalo hockey well. It's a real good community to live in with passionate hockey fans and a team that is on the rise. Excellent goaltending, an emerging defense and lots of forward that are skilled and lots of forwards that provide some grit and tenacity. If they call, we'll certainly receive them with open arms and listen."

The reason the Sabres are in this race at all, is the change in ownership and management. Terry Pegula has made a run at Richards possible. Morris says he doesn't know Pegula, but he did express knowledge OF the Sabres new owner. Morris referenced the changes in the building (HSBC Arena), the wherewithall to provide the franchise and management with ample resources as well. Ownership seems to be quite important to Richards after being forced out of Tampa during a change, and seeing Dallas fall apart as well. With Pegula, it's an owner at the other end of the spectrum, willing to fly to Saskatchewan.

"It certainly makes a difference. I'm sure in free agency Brad will have a lot of things thrown his way but small things become large when you add a personal touch to it. I think those type of measures are well received."

The clock ticks...to noon on July 1st. How soon will something happen? Morris says it's all up to Richards, who has known this day is coming for quite some time. Morris says it will still come down to a business decision and there are things that matter and things that don't. Market size is not a primary concern.

A number of teams contacted the Stars about the rights to Richards' but no deal was made. Morris wouldn't say which teams that tried to swing that deal. When pressed for info he simply said, "We'll do our best...and tell Darcy to be aggressive."

Morris expects Richards to receive all the offers on Friday and narrow it down to three or four teams from there. It's possible Richards would then sleep on it, and start talking economics AFTER narrowing it down to a list of finalists.

Richards will be at Morris' office in Mississauga on Friday when free agency opens up.

*Morris also represents UFA Cody McCormick and said the last contact he had with Darcy Regier was 10 days ago, and that the ball is in Darcy's court.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-29-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #239
DeToxRox
Head Coach

RT @TReedDispatch #CBJ trade for rights to D James Wisniewski. Give up a 7th rounder to montreal.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #240
DeToxRox
Head Coach

No idea who this is, just saw it on HF

Anthony SanFilippo
Ok #Flyers fans, I'm told that if the Flyers decide to give Stamkos an offer sheet it's for $115 mil over 12 years with a full no-trade.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #241
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

They can't do a full no trade till 2016, so he would have a chance to be Cartered or Richarded till then.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #242
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
No idea who this is, just saw it on HF

Anthony SanFilippo
Ok #Flyers fans, I'm told that if the Flyers decide to give Stamkos an offer sheet it's for $115 mil over 12 years with a full no-trade.

He's a pretty reliable writer in the Philly media.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #243
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Roloson back to Tampa, 1 year $3M
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #244
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...to_pittsburgh/
Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #245
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

incarceratedbob incarcerated bob
**UPDATED NHL NEWS** Jagr decision will be made official Friday #Penguins will be the landing spot, lawyers just reviewing contract.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #246
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

At this point I just want a damn answer so the team can make the next move. They still will need another RW, and if they can't get Tyler Kennedy, I am hoping to start MorozovWatch
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #247
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

There is a player returning to Pittsburgh!

Arron Asham
Old 06-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #248
Galaxy
Coordinator

So the Sabres acquired the rights to Christian Ehrhoff from the Islanders for a 2012 4th-round pick after sending the rights to Steve Montador to Chicago for a 2012 or 2013 7th-draft pick.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #249
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
So the Sabres acquired the rights to Christian Ehrhoff from the Islanders for a 2012 4th-round pick after sending the rights to Steve Montador to Chicago for a 2012 or 2013 7th-draft pick.

Ehrhoff-Myers
Leopold-Regher

is a pretty strong to 4

If Buffalo can snag Ehrhoff and Richards...wow
Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #250
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Paul Kariya retires because of post-concussion syndrome, and criticizes the NHL for inconsistent discipline on head shot hits. I tend to agree with that.

Thanks for the memories, Paul. While I will always despise the way you left the Ducks, when you were here in Anaheim, you were one of the best wingers in hockey, and the Selanne-Rucchin-Kariya line was one of the best in the league.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote