I hate the PC of this.

not really sure what you mean by this.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #202
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
ThThat's what I would figure too. Maybe they had temporary plastic bins set up for the crowds?Yeah, I've always heard texts work best, but apparently those weren't working that well.

From what they said earlier, it works better if they are next to a wall because the force pushes off the wall and outwards in the other direction.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #203
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Saw some stuff on twitter (I know) that the Saudi of interest is being detained by the FBI.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #204
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I hate the PC of this.

i love lamp

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-15-2013 at 09:22 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #205
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
not really sure what you mean by this.

I meant I hate that we have to tip-toe around the likely identities of those who would carry out such a well-planned attack.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #206
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I meant I hate that we have to tip-toe around the likely identities of those who would carry out such a well-planned attack.

What tiptoeing? We have no fucking clue right now, per the investigators. What do you want to do - Arrest random brown people with a beard?( I'm a brown person with a beard who worked in Copley square for years). When we find the bastards responsible for it, we'll throw the book and then some at it. But we know nothing now.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #207
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

You'd love this book then

The Third Terrorist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #208
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Tim McVeigh? Eric Robert Rudolph?

What Crapshoot said.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #209
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
What tiptoeing? We have no fucking clue right now, per the investigators. What do you want to do - Arrest random brown people with a beard?( I'm a brown person with a beard who worked in Copley square for years). When we find the bastards responsible for it, we'll throw the book and then some at it. But we know nothing now.

I'm all for having you arrested, fwiw, just it has nothing to do with you being brown or having a beard.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #210
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The man in the cowboy hat helping the guy with no legs in the Globe pics:

Boston Marathon 2013 Hero - YouTube

Amazing video. Shows how traumatic that stuff can be. He's still heavily shaking well after the incident.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #211
chadritt
High School Varsity

It also feels like its worth pointing out that hes brown, although not bearded so I guess that makes him "one of the good ones" eh?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #212
Edward64
Head Coach

Air travel is going to be painful tomorrow.

FWIW, my guess is domestic. If it was foreign wouldn't they be boasting about it by now?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #213
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #214
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

My guess is domestic. If it was an int'l organization, the blasts would have been bigger for the amount of effort to do something like this.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #215
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Amazing video. Shows how traumatic that stuff can be. He's still heavily shaking well after the incident.

And of course less than a minute ago somebody posts on the Youtube video that he was likely involved because of the fact that he lost his son's and was at the scene so quick. WTF, just have to shake my head sometimes.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #216
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

What is very strange is that no one has claimed credit for it. Usually, that's the whole point of terrorism - showing your ability to strike fear in a larger target.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #217
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Air travel is going to be painful tomorrow.

FWIW, my guess is domestic. If it was foreign wouldn't they be boasting about it by now?

I have a Seattle-Boston redeye tomorrow night. My guess is domestic too...has been since I saw how (relatively) weak the blasts were. I would just assume that an al qaeda attack would have been better executed/caused more damage.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #218
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Until time fade and people forget and then when it happens yet again, people/media act all shocked, like it had never happened before. Remember the Atlanta Olympics bombing? 2 dead, 111 injured.

Don't think so much that people forget, just that these things are more in the forefront of your consciousness in the days/weeks after.

I remember back to Munich in '72, watching coverage of the murder of the Israeli athletes when I was 9 years old. It is the first real demonstration of how twisted humanity can be that I remember clearly. I think the shock comes from realizing that we have so many that live on the fringe of rationality capable of doing this and that it can happen anywhere and at anytime.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Seems domestic to me (for whatever the hell that's worth).

There's no major symbolic target, the devices weren't the sort to inflict major property damage nor a high number of fatalities.

This was more designed - based on what we know so far at least - to inflict terror (lower case "t" intentional). Actually wouldn't surprise me a lot if no one (credible) claimed responsibility.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #220
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

There's no major symbolic target, the devices weren't the sort to inflict major property damage nor a high number of fatalities.

This was more designed - based on what we know so far at least - to inflict terror (lower case "t" intentional). Actually wouldn't surprise me a lot if no one (credible) claimed responsibility.

Thinking pretty much along the same lines at this point. I have to think an international terror cell would have gone for a much higher kill rate. Either domestic or sympathizers to an international terrorist group would not surprise me.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #221
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

One thing that stood out for me is this - that the area was swept for bombs before the start of the marathon (as they usually do), which means the suspects were watching; and secondly, that it was set off to go off at the 4 hour mark, when the civilians would be expected to finish, not the pros (who finish in 2:06 or so, 2:10 maybe). Ie, someone was trying to make sure civilians got hurt. I can't pretend to know what it means, but those two things stood out.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #222
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I have a Seattle-Boston redeye tomorrow night. My guess is domestic too...has been since I saw how (relatively) weak the blasts were. I would just assume that an al qaeda attack would have been better executed/caused more damage.

Heh, I'll probably be on that checkpoint when you go through.

So far nothing has been added to aviation security that would slow down the process, we shall see what tomorrow brings though....
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #223
molson
General Manager

I think domestic too, or a small group of nobodies of whatever origin not affiliated with a bigger organization.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #224
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Man, I laid down, and I have a feeling sleep is not going to come easy tonight, really feel shook up for some reason
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #225
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Twitter / MedicCat: My bravest patient today ...
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #226
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It wouldn't surprise me either way - international or domestic. I think this would be easier to pull off compared to a Black Sunday/Sum of all Fears event at a stadium, so a small cell could do it or a fringe group.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #227
GrantDawg

Heard the start of this going down on the police scanner. Might be nothing:

Large police presence in Revere connected to Boston bombing - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston
Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #228
GrantDawg

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me either way - international or domestic. I think this would be easier to pull off compared to a Black Sunday/Sum of all Fears event at a stadium, so a small cell could do it or a fringe group.

Or a single nut. Nothing in this suggest it would take more than one person. Looks like pretty simple black-powder bombs. The big question is how they were detonated.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #229
Buccaneer
Head Coach

A single nut to prove that there other weapons besides guns at schools or theaters?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #230
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Heh, I'll probably be on that checkpoint when you go through.

So far nothing has been added to aviation security that would slow down the process, we shall see what tomorrow brings though....

Really? Which Terminal? What's your name? How can I identify myself to you?????
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #231
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Really? Which Terminal? What's your name? How can I identify myself to you?????

Just use a code word. Like "I have a bomb!" He'll find you.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #232
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Just use a code word. Like "I have a bomb!" He'll find you.

LMAO

I'm serious though. I always like to say hey to a fellow FOFCer.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #233
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
A single nut to prove that there other weapons besides guns at schools or theaters?

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a bomb is a good guy with a bomb?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #234
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a bomb is a good guy with a bomb?

Or a missile.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #235
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Seriously though...

This is why I hope it is just some random, anti-government US Citizen nut of no ethnic minority: To shut up those who treat perpetrators differently based on who they are.

There are people out there that any time someone who is Muslim, black, or anybody who has any different background than themselves, jump up and say "SEE! THEY HATE US!!!" They have no idea that there is plenty of hate in the world and a lot of it is sitting on their own sofa looking to prove themselves correct. There are also a lot of people out there who just want to live a decent life without having people hate them for no damn thing they ever did to anybody.

Find who is responsible for this and bring them to justice, regardless of who they are. It's just a shame that we can't legally put them through a long, horribly agonizing death.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #236
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The person or group responsible also hit an odd spot of "sortof competent" in the bomb-making world. They're good enough to make a bomb without blowing themselves up. However, bad enough that most of their bombs did not go off.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #237
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

my first guess would be some whack job militia group, trying to strike a blow against the 'oppressive' government.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #238
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
my first guess would be some whack job militia group, trying to strike a blow against the 'oppressive' government.

My only question on this was McVeigh at least targeted a federal building, this was a public event, not a government target.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #239
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

As a huge anti federal government guy who has trouble setting mouse traps and would never hurt another human being I find some of the I hope it's a anti government group sentiment confusing. Predicting who it might be is one thing. Saying I hope that's what it is seems like the same hatred you supposedly despise. What if I said I hope it's a black panther group or Jewish group? There are a lot of peaceful people who think the federal government is a growing monster.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #240
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Seriously though...

This is why I hope it is just some random, anti-government US Citizen nut of no ethnic minority: To shut up those who treat perpetrators differently based on who they are.

We'll have the same reaction if it's some random, anti-government US Citizen nut, except from the people that like to group the crazies together with as many regular people they disagree with as possible. Some would use a middle eastern attacker as an opportunity to criticize all middle easterners and to promote a more Bush-era type- world viewpoint, some will use a U.S. right wing whackjob to criticize anyone who leans "too far" right or is to protective of gun rights. We see that whenever there's a mass shooting. It's an opportunity. This could conceivably be used as as a means to curtail different kinds of rights, or to promote a different kind of viewpoint. It just depends on what rights you value more, but I think the reactions are basically identical otherwise.

Last edited by molson : 04-16-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #241
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

hearing they are looking at a suspect, a saudi college student.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #242
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The person or group responsible also hit an odd spot of "sortof competent" in the bomb-making world. They're good enough to make a bomb without blowing themselves up. However, bad enough that most of their bombs did not go off.

Maybe I've missed something, but as far as I know there hasn't been a determination of whether they "didn't go off" or "weren't detonated". Same outcome but I'd say there's a difference in the two reasons for failure when it comes to assessing their competence.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #243
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Maybe I've missed something, but as far as I know there hasn't been a determination of whether they "didn't go off" or "weren't detonated". Same outcome but I'd say there's a difference in the two reasons for failure when it comes to assessing their competence.

Either way, it is a gold mine for the forensic guys to get an undetonated device.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #244
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Today we'll start putting together the reality of the story. As much as news orgs want to get the story first, a little time is important in such a chaotic environment.

Quote:
Countering a flurry of reports that suggested there were multiple unexploded devices scattered throughout Boston, NBC's Pete Williams reported Tuesday morning on MSNBC that a senior law enforcement official said the only explosive devices in the city were the two that erupted near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Williams said a number of bystanders dropped what they were carrying and ran after the deadly explosions, leaving scores of unattended packages throughout the city. Several of those packages were detonated by authorities, according to Williams, but there is no indication that they were unexploded devices.

Williams noted that it is somewhat disappointing for investigators that there were no unexploded devices, which might have represented an "investigative gold mine."
Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #245
Subby
lolzcat

Folks might have seen this already, but I saw it on Deadspin and thought it was worth sharing. The sounds are terrifying.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #246
molson
General Manager

"Countering a flurry of reports that suggested there were multiple unexploded devices scattered throughout Boston, NBC's Pete Williams reported Tuesday morning on MSNBC that a senior law enforcement official said the only explosive devices in the city were the two that erupted near the finish line of the Boston Marathon."

That's a pretty big difference. How can a media outlet report the existence of a bomb when there's no bomb? That's like, way off.

And of course the "early reports of multiple bombs" will be used to support some conspiracies on some horrific web sites in the near future
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #247
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's a pretty big difference. How can a media outlet report the existence of a bomb when there's no bomb? That's like, way off.

That's easy: "sources" that aren't as in the know as they were believed to be.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #248
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Someone in authority said there were bombs, likely because someone told them. It's like a game of telephone where the original statement gets altered radically. The best example yesterday was the "bomb" at the JFK library that turned out to be a maintenance room fire.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #249
Subby
lolzcat

Good stuff from Patton Oswalt:

"Boston. Fucking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #250
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, I heard the killed cell service pretty quickly so that if the devices were being set off by a cell phone, the call wouldn't get through. That may be the reason the other devices didn't go off...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote