Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #202
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
How are they able to produce the jerseys so quickly? Stack of jerseys with all iron-on names in attendance?

They showed it earlier, they have blanks for every team and they are silk screening the names (they have those premade too) on when the pick is made. Probably part of teh reason its taking so long to report each pick tonight.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #203
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Vikings got robbed by NE.

In what way?

If you use the point system the Vikings lost by 7 points which is basically because of the 7th round pick.

Seems like a good deal both ways to me I guess. The Pats wanted more picks and the Vikings wanted who they thought was the 2nd best playmaker in the draft.

Vikings had to feel they were playing with house money at that point in stealing Floyd where they did.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #204
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

In watching the tape the Defensive End that Green Bay took looks freakishly quick. Kind of surprised he wasnt picked higher.

And what was the deal with the guards? Rarely do guards get taken in the first round and we had what 4 taken tonight?

I think Austin at #8 was an incredible reach. I think he is a nice player if you grab him late in the 2nd round. These Harvin comparisons are ridiculous. Harvin is a physical player with the size and top end speed. Austin shows Daunte Hall type moves but I think he was taken far too early.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #205
Logan
Head Coach

I think the Austin hype went a bit nuts as well, and I'm someone who loved him in college (as much as you could love someone who beats you senseless). I saw someone make the comparison to Dexter McCluster based on their physical similarities. As you say, Harvin is a much stronger player. We heard a lot about how McCluster was going to come in and line up in the slot, out of the backfield, etc and of course part of that may be utilization but it's also possible he doesn't have the physical tools to meet what was expected out of him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #206
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
... Patterson should overall be an upgrade in terms of consistent production.

The use of the word "consistent" in relationship to Patterson drew me up a little short, so I went looking for the numbers to back up my hesitation. What I found was a helluva lot deeper than that, an extremely detailed look (including a good bit of video) at him & why a lot of people think he's such a prospect. Thought you might enjoy it.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Futures: WR Cordarrelle Patterson

Toward the end they also mention some of the reasons that people have concerns (concentration, football IQ, etc). He's a heck of a physical talent, I think the question will be whether he develops it at a good pace.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #207
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The use of the word "consistent" in relationship to Patterson drew me up a little short, so I went looking for the numbers to back up my hesitation. What I found was a helluva lot deeper than that, an extremely detailed look (including a good bit of video) at him & why a lot of people think he's such a prospect. Thought you might enjoy it.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Futures: WR Cordarrelle Patterson

Toward the end they also mention some of the reasons that people have concerns (concentration, football IQ, etc). He's a heck of a physical talent, I think the question will be whether he develops it at a good pace.

He's going to need to develop slightly better hands as he won't be able to rely on catching against his pads every single time. I love the Vikings first round, personally and would rather take Patterson than what we could have gotten in the 2nd round with the pick for WR.

We will be improved on defense now and perhaps we can still compete if Ponder can improve... or if Cassell is better than Ponder...then I guess we could still compete for the playoffs.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #208
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think the Austin hype went a bit nuts as well, and I'm someone who loved him in college (as much as you could love someone who beats you senseless). I saw someone make the comparison to Dexter McCluster based on their physical similarities. As you say, Harvin is a much stronger player. We heard a lot about how McCluster was going to come in and line up in the slot, out of the backfield, etc and of course part of that may be utilization but it's also possible he doesn't have the physical tools to meet what was expected out of him.

I'm admittedly completely biased in this conversation, but looking back, McCluster ran a 4.58 compared to Austin's 4.34. Seems like a pretty big difference.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #209
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interested to see what the Chiefs do today. Obviously, Brandon Albert will be traded at some point, likely for the 42nd pick and maybe other picks. If they get #42, there's going to be a lot of good options still available.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #210
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Interested to see what the Chiefs do today. Obviously, Brandon Albert will be traded at some point, likely for the 42nd pick and maybe other picks. If they get #42, there's going to be a lot of good options still available.

Miami no longer has #42, it was moved in the deal to move up to #3.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #211
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Miami no longer has #42, it was moved in the deal to move up to #3.

Sorry, missed that. Will have to be a combo of other picks then.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #212
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Interesting... Thanks. I figure like more WR's Patterson will be inconsistent as a rookie. That's why I factored their picking up Jennings in the equation. Still, Harvin is great when he is on the field. The problem is that he seems to spend a lot of time in the training room rather than on the field.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #213
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
In watching the tape the Defensive End that Green Bay took looks freakishly quick. Kind of surprised he wasnt picked higher.
The increased flexibility has come from an emphasis in martial arts last off season.

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #214
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #215
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was glad the Bears didn't take Tyler Eifert. It's bad enough the Vikings have that Rudolph guy. I couldn't stomach the Lions getting smoked four times a year by ex-Norte Dame tight ends.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #216
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not the Steelers' greatest area of need (unless we are admitting that Worilds isn't starting material -- in which case, another blown 2nd rounder), but I like the Jarvis Jones pick a lot. Worilds is still only a year older than Jones, so I hope he gets a fair shot or can move inside or be useful in someway.

I'd like to see a receiver (Robert Woods or Keenan Allen) or safety (John Cyprien) in round two. Arthur Brown would be tempting, too (but again that would be bad news on Spence). I really hope we don't go after Justin Hunter (Limas Sweed 2.0) or Montee Ball (I like his game, but way too many carries on his body).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #217
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I was glad the Bears didn't take Tyler Eifert. It's bad enough the Vikings have that Rudolph guy. I couldn't stomach the Lions getting smoked four times a year by ex-Norte Dame tight ends.

I really wanted the Giants to take him. TE has been a revolving door for them. Give Eli a top plyer at that position and it would be a real weapon considering he made guys like Jake Ballard and Kevin Boss look above average.

I trust the Giants brass to make the right decisions, but the pick seemed underwhelming.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #218
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As for the Lions pick...

I am not quite sold on it.

Ansah is a monster and, by all accounts, an amazing athlete, but he never played football, at any level, until 2010. He's only ever started 7 football games in his entire life. Had flashes of production, but nothing more. Very much a project. I am not sure if you can risk the number 5 overall pick on a project. That's a huge gamble. Then again, other than the Senior Bowl - where he dominated - I don't think I ever saw the guy play.

I liked Dee Milliner. Another position of need. A highly productive player at a big time university who played against the best competition college football has to offer and performed well in big games. The problem with him is the injury concern and given that the Lions cornerbacks are always injured, so taking Milliner could have been like giving an pyromaniac some matches and a can of gasoline for his birthday, no good can come of it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #219
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Not the Steelers' greatest area of need (unless we are admitting that Worilds isn't starting material -- in which case, another blown 2nd rounder), but I like the Jarvis Jones pick a lot. Worilds is still only a year older than Jones, so I hope he gets a fair shot or can move inside or be useful in someway.

I'd like to see a receiver (Robert Woods or Keenan Allen) or safety (John Cyprien) in round two. Arthur Brown would be tempting, too (but again that would be bad news on Spence). I really hope we don't go after Justin Hunter (Limas Sweed 2.0) or Montee Ball (I like his game, but way too many carries on his body).

I'm hoping the Bengals get Cyprien with their first second round pick.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #220
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
If you use the point system

No one does anymore
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #221
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I guess Kiper called Pugh a "short armed guard", per my brother watching the ESPN telecast.

Since I thought Pugh was a T originally, I thusly dubbed him "T-Rex" Pugh.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #222
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As for the Lions pick...

Ansah is a monster and, by all accounts, an amazing athlete, but he never played football, at any level, until 2010. He's only ever started 7 football games in his entire life. Had flashes of production, but nothing more. Very much a project. I am not sure if you can risk the number 5 overall pick on a project. That's a huge gamble. Then again, other than the Senior Bowl - where he dominated - I don't think I ever saw the guy play.

I liked Dee Milliner. Another position of need. A highly productive player at a big time university who played against the best competition college football has to offer and performed well in big games. The problem with him is the injury concern and given that the Lions cornerbacks are always injured, so taking Milliner could have been like giving an pyromaniac some matches and a can of gasoline for his birthday, no good can come of it.

Anseh is a tremendous risk. He may even prove to be worth this pick. But the Lions aren't in a position to take tremendous risks. I thought it was a terrible pick for them. I agree completely on Milliner. I thought if they can't get a top end OT, they should get a top corner.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-26-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #223
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I guess Kiper called Pugh a "short armed guard", per my brother watching the ESPN telecast.

Since I thought Pugh was a T originally, I thusly dubbed him "T-Rex" Pugh.

The first time I recall ever hearing Kiper or some "draft guru" knock a guy for having short arms was Barret Green. He was a lineback out of West Virginia and the Lions second round pick in 2000. He kinda of sucked and was never any good, so I would be wary of those short armers. Can't be trusted.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #224
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Anseh is a tremendous risk. He may even prove to be worth this pick. But the Lions aren't in a position to take tremendous risks. I thought it was a terrible pick for them. I agree completely on Milliner. I thought if they can't get a top end OT, they should get a top corner.

At this point the Lions have spent three top 10 picks in the last three years, two of which were top 5 picks, on their defensive line. If, after investing that much in terms of incredibly high draft picks, this defensive line is not completely dominant - which it won't be - there are some big problems with this approach.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-26-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #225
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
As for the Lions pick...

I had similar thoughts about Jason Pierre Paul
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #226
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
The first time I recall ever hearing Kiper or some "draft guru" knock a guy for having short arms was Barret Green. He was a lineback out of West Virginia and the Lions second round pick in 2000. He kinda of sucked and was never any good, so I would be wary of those short armers. Can't be trusted.

Especially if their hands smell like cabbage.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #227
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I had similar thoughts about Jason Pierre Paul

Obviously, that would be great for the Lions, since JPP has turned out quite well. But JPP had a little more experience in the game than Anseh and he was drafted back at 15, rather than 5.

I think Anseh at 15, with the upside he is supposed to have, is a worthy risk. The 5th overall, though, ouch.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #228
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Obviously, that would be great for the Lions, since JPP has turned out quite well. But JPP had a little more experience in the game than Anseh and he was drafted back at 15, rather than 5.

I think Anseh at 15, with the upside he is supposed to have, is a worthy risk. The 5th overall, though, ouch.

I agree. That said, if he turns out to be as good as JPP, I won't care where they drafted him.

All this being said, he's the guy the Lions drafted, so I am definitely hoping he turns out to be a beast.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #229
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree. That said, if he turns out to be as good as JPP, I won't care where they drafted him.

All this being said, he's the guy the Lions drafted, so I am definitely hoping he turns out to be a beast.

I'm not a Lions fan, but my brother is, so I am rooting for him too.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #230
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I heard an interview with Marrone this morning on ESPN (Mike & Mike, I think), and when Nassib and him passing over his former QB was brought up directly to Marrone, the coach didn’t even say anything like “Nassib is a terrific player who will have a terrific career”. Hell, he didn’t even say Nassib’s name, or say “Ryan” once. He just said something like “we like 4-5 guys at QB who we think can win games in this league, and we picked one of them”.

I actually downgraded my opinion of Marrone (which wasn’t high anyway) after that. I mean, he pretty much threw Nassib under the bus by omission. I thought it was transparent and awful, so F that guy. Only problem is that he is linked with Manuel, and I like Manuel, so if Manuel succeeds, so will that guy.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #231
molson
General Manager

I don't watch a ton of college football and I'm no football scout but I have watched most of Nassib's career and I'm pretty surprised he's even being discussed anywhere near the first 3 rounds, or that there would be any consideration by anyone at all that he'd be a 1st round pick. He got better and he put up some numbers with some really good WRs, but he never inspired confidence. A lot of drives were killed by Nassib mistakes. Maybe he has some NFL-caliber skills that can be improved upon and developed, I just never thought of him as an NFL prospect.

Last edited by molson : 04-26-2013 at 12:07 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #232
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Same here.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #233
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't watch a ton of college football and I'm no football scout but I have watched most of Nassib's career and I'm pretty surprised he's even being discussed anywhere near the first 3 rounds, or that there would be any consideration by anyone at all that he'd be a 1st round pick. He got better and he put up some numbers with some really good WRs, but he never inspired confidence. A lot of drives were killed by Nassib mistakes. Maybe he has some NFL-caliber skills that can be improved upon and developed, I just never thought of him as an NFL prospect.

That doesn't surprise me. I wasn't surprised at all that Marrone didn't take him either. What surprised me was him not at least getting his former QB's back in a media interview.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #234
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I didn't compare the two, internet tought guy, I just said I had similar thoughts.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #235
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I didn't compare the two, internet tought guy, I just said I had similar thoughts.

Internet tough guy? Having a bad day, Mr. Sensitive?

I know what you said. There was an inference made there by your post, and I think my response was a reasonable one to that inference, even if you didn't intend to make the inference.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #236
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

internet needs a sarcasm font
Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #237
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Internet tough guy? Having a bad day, Mr. Sensitive?

I know what you said. There was an inference made there by your post, and I think my response was a reasonable one to that inference, even if you didn't intend to make the inference.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

I was hoping for the Lions to take the CB. The talking heads, however, have said that secondary is deeper in this draft than pass rusher so maybe it will all work out for the best. It'll be interesting to see who they take in the second round.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #238
bhlloy
Coordinator

Nassib was Y! Sports top ranked player in the entire draft yesterday (it was another sites rankings they had on their front page). They don't have that widget up anymore, surprise surprise
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #239
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Nassib was Y! Sports top ranked player in the entire draft yesterday (it was another sites rankings they had on their front page). They don't have that widget up anymore, surprise surprise

I saw that, too. I was pretty surprised by that.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #240
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Yeah it's the "National Football Post"...whatever that is.

To further point out the absurdity of their rankings. While most other sources had Geno Smith as their top QB, he's 5th on NFP's rankings.

Behind (in order) Nassib, Barkely, Manual, and Tyler Wilson!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #241
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

and Lacy is their #6 RB

Old 04-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #242
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah if you go to their website they still have those rankings up (which might be whole point of controversial rankings I guess)

We will see. Maybe they had tape of him doing things even his college coach hasn't seen yet?
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #243
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Yeah it's the "National Football Post"...whatever that is. To further point out the absurdity of their rankings. While most other sources had Geno Smith as their top QB, he's 5th on NFP's rankings. Behind (in order) Nassib, Barkely, Manual, and Tyler Wilson!

Don't know if that exclamation point is entirely necessary.

From nfl.com, here's (one of?) their draft analyst's QB ranking
1) Tyler Wilson (!)
2) Geno Smith
3) Zac Dysert
4) Mike Glennon
5) Ryan Nassib
6) Matt Barkley
7) E.J. Manuel

* The article then goes on to project Wilson as a 3rd round pick behind all but Dysert ... but basically stakes him out as the best NFL prospect of the bunch.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-26-2013 at 01:35 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #244
Danny
Head Coach

Some nice players potentially there for the Raiders at #42. I like DeMontre Moore, Tank Carradine, Eddie Lacy and some others.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #245
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I have been getting Lindy's Annuals on the Big Ten, Pro Football & Draft issues since they started making them. I am used to the occasional gaffe, but this year... Neither Polk (NYC OT, 19th pick) nor Hayden (OAK CB, 12th pick) even made the magazine. That's ridiculous, particularly regarding Hayden.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #246
Danny
Head Coach

Eh maybe not Carradine actually, his health is too much of a risk I think with other quality guys on the board. I would like DeMontre Moore though
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #247
Logan
Head Coach

I think Wilson has a very good chance to be the best QB in this class. Then again, I remember saying the same thing about Tony Pike a few years ago.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #248
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Demontre definitely has potential, but he NEEDS to have someone right behind him with a boot up his ass in order to reach his potential as a pro. The Raiders previous regime would definitely not suit him, but the current one might. He could easily be out of the league in 3 years. Or he could be a Von-Miller lite.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #249
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think Wilson has a very good chance to be the best QB in this class. Then again, I remember saying the same thing about Tony Pike a few years ago.

I'm kind of surprised he isn't getting more talk as well. The team mailed it in when he was out, and Wilson even called them out on it. They were better but not too great when he got back. I would blame pretty much everything on the coaching at that point. Maybe he wasn't that great at the combine, but he would be one of the few QBs in this draft I would even look at.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #250
BillJasper
Pro Starter

If Geno Smith don't go soon, he won't go til the 3rd round. Has to be either the Jets or Cards.

I guess he could go to Philadelphia as well...

Last edited by BillJasper : 04-26-2013 at 05:45 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote