Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #201
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More and more confident that Alex Gordon is going to stay with the Royals. If he was leaving, he would have signed by now. He's not going anywhere unless the Royals just get downright unreasonable.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #202
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's still such a surplus of OF talent out there that it'll be awhile before the Gordon market develops. Upton, Cespedes and Davis are all likely to be higher priority targets.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #203
Logan
Head Coach

John Smoltz is replacing Harold Reynolds as the #1 color guy for FOX broadcasts.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #204
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
John Smoltz is replacing Harold Reynolds as the #1 color guy for FOX broadcasts.

wow that's quite different
Old 12-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #205
miked
College Starter

What is the appeal behind Gordon? I see a guy who is around .780 OPS (historically less than 2 WAR) and who plays above average defense. I see a big jump in 2014 for his defensive metrics, but other than that he looks good. Is this what 16-20M looks like these days? He is also 32 years old, I just don't get the appeal.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #206
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Good news? Yay Smoltzie.
Bad news? Joe Buck remains so the telecasts are still largely unwatchable.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #207
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
What is the appeal behind Gordon? I see a guy who is around .780 OPS (historically less than 2 WAR) and who plays above average defense. I see a big jump in 2014 for his defensive metrics, but other than that he looks good. Is this what 16-20M looks like these days? He is also 32 years old, I just don't get the appeal.

Yes, the market has shown an interest in paying at least $6M per WAR win. Gordon's averaged 5 WAR per season over the last 5 seasons. So $20M/year for him is definitely reasonable.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #208
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

He's probably the 2nd best defensive LF in baseball behind Marte. He's also a solid OBP for your lineup with average power. That puts him among the top 5 left fielders in baseball. If the contract is for a reasonable number of years (no more than 4) then he's a solid bet moving forward.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #209
Swaggs
Coordinator

If Mike Leake is worth 5/$80M on the open market, I like the Pirates' trade for Jon Niese ($9M in '16 and two club option years at $10-11M) quite a bit more.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #210
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Like you acknowledge, a .780 OPS is worth more than it used to be, plus $16-$20m/y doesn't buy what it used to with the influx of TV money. (And fwiw Gordon's been better than a .780 OPS guy recently, and it's an OBP heavy OPS). But yeah, it's the older, less athletic Jason Heyward - I'd be a lot more scared about giving him a long contract than about whether I paid him $15m or $22m per year.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #211
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Like you acknowledge, a .780 OPS is worth more than it used to be, plus $16-$20m/y doesn't buy what it used to with the influx of TV money. (And fwiw Gordon's been better than a .780 OPS guy recently, and it's an OBP heavy OPS). But yeah, it's the older, less athletic Jason Heyward - I'd be a lot more scared about giving him a long contract than about whether I paid him $15m or $22m per year.

He's one of those guys who's influence can't always be measured by stats. His work ethic is absolutely ridiculous and he's a fantastic clubhouse leader who mostly leads by example. He's one of those guys who's in his early 30s who can demonstrate without saying a word what it takes to be the best player you can be. You want that kind of guy if you have a young team.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #212
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
He's one of those guys who's influence can't always be measured by stats. His work ethic is absolutely ridiculous and he's a fantastic clubhouse leader who mostly leads by example. He's one of those guys who's in his early 30s who can demonstrate without saying a word what it takes to be the best player you can be. You want that kind of guy if you have a young team.
Dude, it's baseball, so while his intangibles may or may not be worth something you absolutely don't need touchy-feely metrics to say Alex Gordon is worth $20m/y in the current environment. Acting like he's Jonny Gomes does a disservice to his talent level.

PS - did KC have a lot of "those guys" when Gordon, Cain, Perez, etc were learning the ropes, or did they manage to turn out just fine on their own? Did the Red Sox suddenly lose all their hard-working grittiness and team camaraderie between the 2013 World Series and the 2014 season?
Old 12-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #213
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
If Mike Leake is worth 5/$80M on the open market, I like the Pirates' trade for Jon Niese ($9M in '16 and two club option years at $10-11M) quite a bit more.
That's why you had to give up Neil Walker (2+ WAR 2B) to get him. I don't mind Niese, although he had a terrible 2nd half last year. But, if my option is Leake for $16 mil from ages 28-32 or Niese for $8 mil and losing Kolten Wong (similar WAR 2B) - I'll choose door #1.

You always get a better contract via trade, but you have to give up assets to get that contract. I'm sure people would love Shelby Miller at 500K next season over paying Cueto 6/$130M. However, to get Miller, you have to give up 2-3 top prospects (including a former $1 pick). There's a cost there too.

Also, non-draft pick compensation FAs also tend to go later and for less. Guys like Cueto, Leak and Price didn't have any draft compensation tied to them - so they went a little over market. Yovani Gallardo, Ian Kennedy and Wei-Yin Chen may end up being better "value" signings at the end of the day, but they all cost a top 35 pick to sign - that has a cost too.

In terms of moving forward, I like where the team is with the staff. Leake was pretty solid outside of Cincy's hitter's park. He has a 2.90 ERA (1.08 WHIP) on the road and had 2nd half numbers of 3.08 ERA (1.03 WHIP) with SF. Add in that he's familiar with the Cubs and Pirates (combined 17-5 record against them) and I like the signing. Having a top 4 of Adam/Carlos/Wacha/Leake is pretty strong - with plenty of options for #5 in Garcia (when he's not on the DL), Cooney and Lyons.

Last edited by Arles : 12-23-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #214
Logan
Head Coach

It's Time For The Mets' Garbage Owners To Go
Old 12-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #215
Logan
Head Coach

I like the Pirates and their fans so for you guys, I hope Niese performs well for you. But I also think Niese is a whiny bitch so I'm a bit conflicted there.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #216
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Dude, it's baseball, so while his intangibles may or may not be worth something you absolutely don't need touchy-feely metrics to say Alex Gordon is worth $20m/y in the current environment. Acting like he's Jonny Gomes does a disservice to his talent level.

PS - did KC have a lot of "those guys" when Gordon, Cain, Perez, etc were learning the ropes, or did they manage to turn out just fine on their own? Did the Red Sox suddenly lose all their hard-working grittiness and team camaraderie between the 2013 World Series and the 2014 season?

I'm not sure I'd put Jonny Gomes anywhere near where I'd put Alex Gordon from a locker room perspective, but to each their own. Gomes has an awfully big mouth on him. Gordon doesn't do any of that kind of stuff.

Most of the young guys you mention point to Ibanez, Guthrie, and Chen as people who were veterans that influenced their development. All great locker room guys.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #217
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Royals told they have 'no chance' to re-sign Gordon as things stand - CBSSports.com
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #218
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm not sure this is new news. The agent has been using this position for a few weeks now, yet they still keep coming back to chat. Whether they sign him is still up for debate, but this is mostly positioning at this point to try to get the Royals to bring up their deal.

Also, really surprised that this article didn't even mention the Royals highest two starting targets right now. They're looking to sign Yovani Gallardo and Scott Kasmir. Most reports say Chen isn't an option they're considering.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #219
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
That's why you had to give up Neil Walker (2+ WAR 2B) to get him. I don't mind Niese, although he had a terrible 2nd half last year. But, if my option is Leake for $16 mil from ages 28-32 or Niese for $8 mil and losing Kolten Wong (similar WAR 2B) - I'll choose door #1.

You always get a better contract via trade, but you have to give up assets to get that contract. I'm sure people would love Shelby Miller at 500K next season over paying Cueto 6/$130M. However, to get Miller, you have to give up 2-3 top prospects (including a former $1 pick). There's a cost there too.

Also, non-draft pick compensation FAs also tend to go later and for less. Guys like Cueto, Leak and Price didn't have any draft compensation tied to them - so they went a little over market. Yovani Gallardo, Ian Kennedy and Wei-Yin Chen may end up being better "value" signings at the end of the day, but they all cost a top 35 pick to sign - that has a cost too.

In terms of moving forward, I like where the team is with the staff. Leake was pretty solid outside of Cincy's hitter's park. He has a 2.90 ERA (1.08 WHIP) on the road and had 2nd half numbers of 3.08 ERA (1.03 WHIP) with SF. Add in that he's familiar with the Cubs and Pirates (combined 17-5 record against them) and I like the signing. Having a top 4 of Adam/Carlos/Wacha/Leake is pretty strong - with plenty of options for #5 in Garcia (when he's not on the DL), Cooney and Lyons.

Agreed with all, aside with being a little less optimistic about Leake's performance going forward (and I think he's better than Niese).

My comment is more about coming to accept that pitchers like Leake and Niese, guys that are 3 or 4 starters at best on good teams, are worth $20M on the open market.

Last edited by Swaggs : 12-23-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #220
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
My comment is more about coming to accept that pitchers like Leake and Niese, guys that are 3 or 4 starters at best on good teams, are worth $20M on the open market.

I'm not sure they are. I think patience is going to be rewarded on some of these pitchers if you're willing to be flexible as a GM.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #221
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, I liked that acquisition a lot. Niese can either be a 1 year bridge to some of our better minor league arms or he can stick around for 3 years.

Anyways, so happy to see Morton gone.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #222
molson
General Manager

RIP Dave Henderson. He was my favorite player as a kid after his heroics for the Red Sox in the '86 ALCS. I wrote him a letter as an 8-year old and he sent me back an autographed baseball card. I watched a bit of that '86 ALCS game 5 today on youtube, still my favorite game ever.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #223
Ramzavail
College Starter

that's an awesome story. I too loved Hendu. I thought he was so underrated. Super clutch and was an underrated defensive outfielder.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #224
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

After Chapman to the Dodgers fell through due to the domestic violence chargers, the Yankees pounced:

Reds deal closer Aroldis Chapman to Yankees
Old 12-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #225
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well that sucks.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #226
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jagielo is decent.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #227
Swaggs
Coordinator

If they weren't going to sign him, looks like a real nice return to me.

Sounds like the x-factor here is that a suspension would reduce his salary and it could make him ineligible for free agency for another year. The players' association will love this case, if it plays out that way.

I remember discussion about Jagiello when he was drafted and it looks like he has put up good numbers since.

As an aside, I just looked up A-Rod's baseball reference page and cannot believe he has played for the Yankees for 11 years. More than he combined for with Seattle and Texas.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #228
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd rather they get one of the top four prospects than four mid-level guys. The real problem is that the Reds didn't sell off guys last year when the value was higher.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #229
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'd rather they get one of the top four prospects than four mid-level guys. The real problem is that the Reds didn't sell off guys last year when the value was higher.

Trade a guy a year too early rather than too late. Reds are screwed at this point. They're rebuilding into a .500 team.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #230
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd be thrilled with .500. I think they're rebuilding into the early 2000s Reds. Who exactly has All-Star potential besides Votto?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #231
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
RIP Dave Henderson. He was my favorite player as a kid after his heroics for the Red Sox in the '86 ALCS. I wrote him a letter as an 8-year old and he sent me back an autographed baseball card. I watched a bit of that '86 ALCS game 5 today on youtube, still my favorite game ever.

RIP Hendu. You ripped my heart out and showed it to me Temple of Doom style back in '86, and that moment would define my Angel fandom for 16 years.

But I never hated this guy. He was too awesome. This so very young.

Godspeed, Dave. And bring your bat--I'm pretty sure Donnie is waiting to take another crack at you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #232
Swaggs
Coordinator

I didn't realize how bad the Reds payroll situation had gotten.

Homer Bailey ay have the most immovable contract in the league (haven't checked to see how many years Howard has left). Bruce still seems like a good player, but his WAR suggests otherwise.

It may have been more wise for them to try to tether one of them to Chapman. I wonder if Votto is movable for decent prospects without forking over a ton of cash.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #233
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't realize how bad the Reds payroll situation had gotten.

Homer Bailey ay have the most immovable contract in the league (haven't checked to see how many years Howard has left). Bruce still seems like a good player, but his WAR suggests otherwise.

It may have been more wise for them to try to tether one of them to Chapman. I wonder if Votto is movable for decent prospects without forking over a ton of cash.

They have a couple of bad contracts, but after all the trades they are fine for the next few years. They should have enough money to go hard in international signings if they choose(and they should).
Old 12-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #234
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Jagielo can stick at 3rd he will bring some value. I'd have probably tried to get Brady Lail instead of one of the other arns out of the deal too. Seems like they could have gotten Jake Cave(from the rule 5 draft) factored into the deal as well
Old 12-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #235
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Alex Gordon told a local media outlet that there's "no truth" to the rumor that the Royals have no chance at landing him with their current offer level.

Like I said previously, this guy is bending over backwards to try to stay with the Royals. He's just waiting to see what the free agent market will hand him and then he's going to ask for something similar from the Royals with a small hometown discount.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #236
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I wonder if Votto is movable for decent prospects without forking over a ton of cash.
Joey Votto has the weirdest trade value in the league. I'm not even certain any team in the league would trade for that contract straight up, but I could also see him getting moved for a shockingly high haul if they could find the right opposing GM (maybe Arizona will hire Ruben Amaro next)! And from Cincinnati's side, is he an untouchable franchise cornerstone they try to rebuild around, or someone they should actively trying to move before he enters that decline phase? Although $22.5m/y doesn't look as expensive as it seemed in 2018-2020 when that extension was signed. Dustin Pedroia's in a similar position.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #237
Atocep
Coordinator

Paying him more than $20 mil per through his age 41 season makes him more or less immovable without sending a lot of money back.

I don't think the teams that would make a deal like this are the type of teams that appreciate the value of Votto either.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #238
PilotMan
Head Coach

So LA signs a Japanese pitcher (Maeda) to an 8-year deal. EIGHT years. Wow, thats a commitment to a guy that has never pitched in the Majors. Sure he's gotten guys out, but at 28, 8 years puts him at least 2-3 years post prime, if his arm holds up that long.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 01-03-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #239
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Alex Gordon told a local media outlet that there's "no truth" to the rumor that the Royals have no chance at landing him with their current offer level.

Like I said previously, this guy is bending over backwards to try to stay with the Royals. He's just waiting to see what the free agent market will hand him and then he's going to ask for something similar from the Royals with a small hometown discount.

Wishful thinking? I doubt a player looking to get his "market" value is going to admit to be (maybe?)willing to take the current substandard offer. Otherwise he is incredibly dumb at negotiations.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-03-2016 at 08:47 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #240
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
So LA signs a Japanese pitcher (Maeda) to an 8-year deal. EIGHT years. Wow, thats a commitment to a guy that has never pitched in the Majors. Sure he's gotten guys out, but at 28, 8 years puts him at least 2-3 years post prime, if his arm holds up that long.

8 years, 25 million guaranteed only though. What's not to like?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #241
PilotMan
Head Coach

I hadn't heard the $$$, just the posting fee.

Like Steam?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #242
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The Royals re-sign Gordon for 4 years/72 millions. Doesnt look like the Royals got that "hometown" discount.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-06-2016 at 09:10 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #243
Ramzavail
College Starter

no, but, at least Gil Meche isn't the most expensive free agent the Royals have ever had.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #244
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

So with the Beachy and Maeda signings, there will be 9 starting pitchers on the Dodgers active roster. I think 6 of those would have to stay on the active roster or face waivers (and it would be difficult to demote Bolsinger or Wood based on 2015 performance).

Kershaw
Anderson
Kazmir
Ryu
Maeda
Beachy
Wood
Bolsinger
Montas

It will be interesting to see how they juggle things.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #245
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
So with the Beachy and Maeda signings, there will be 9 starting pitchers on the Dodgers active roster. I think 6 of those would have to stay on the active roster or face waivers (and it would be difficult to demote Bolsinger or Wood based on 2015 performance).

Kershaw
Anderson
Kazmir
Ryu
Maeda
Beachy
Wood
Bolsinger
Montas

It will be interesting to see how they juggle things.

Bolsinger still has an option year left. Beachy's contract isn't guaranteed and he has 2 option years left. He is still young enough that he can't refuse either. We might also see, at least in the fall, DeLeon, Urias or Holmes. So if you put Montas in that group, he's currently the Dodgers #4 prospect, behind DeLeon and ahead of Holmes.

Now you're left with:

Kershaw
Anderson
Kazmir
Ryu
Maeda
Wood

I think this is how the season will start, provided no one dies in spring training. It's clear that the team is trying to create a bridge to the young arms. My question is will they be good enough? They weren't last year.

Like Steam?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #246
Atocep
Coordinator

Gordon back to the Royals for $18 mil per over 4. That's pretty much right at the predicted market value for him in annual value.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #247
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The Royals re-sign Gordon for 4 years/72 millions. Doesnt look like the Royals got that "hometown" discount.

Looks like they got exactly that. He was being offered $20M/year for 5 years by other clubs. He took $2M/year less and allowed the fifth year to be a mutual option. He's basically giving the Royals $8M over the first four years and allowing them to save $18M in the fifth year should they chose to do so. That's a $26M discount over what the free agent market offered.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #248
Logan
Head Coach

Who was giving him 5 years? I saw the White Sox were only offering 3.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #249
Atocep
Coordinator

The only thing I saw on Gordon before today was the White Sox were interested but weren't willing to go $20 mil per year.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #250
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Mystery team(s) baby!