Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #2501
whomario
Pro Starter

This "lets play 4 Center Backs" is an all world terrible idea. Fuck me ... So Hummes is out but instead of keeping Boateng right (who was at least decent at fullback) or actually bringing in an actual, you know, fullback ...

Seriously, neither Höwedes nor Mustafi contribute anything offensively and both are struggling bad against agile wingers. So what exactly is the draw ? set pieces ? Really, banking on set pieces ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #2502
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

That was almost there...nicely done Algeria.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #2503
whomario
Pro Starter

holy shit ... Algeria is pumped. German team is looking like an empty shell out there
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #2504
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Wow. Realllly poor decision by German keeper there.

Okay, didn't look AS horrible on replay. But ballsy.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-30-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #2505
cschex
High School Varsity

Re: German fullbacks. I know he hasn't played there all season, but the German's do happen to have an aging, all world fullback currently playing DM for them. Surely he'd be better than what theyve had so far.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #2506
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

German GK cleaerly ona sweeper-keeper role for FM 14

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 06-30-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #2507
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Incredible save(s) by Lawrence Fisburne there.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #2508
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Both teams look like they could have had scores in teh first half. Been pretty even to my mind.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #2509
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
Re: German fullbacks. I know he hasn't played there all season, but the German's do happen to have an aging, all world fullback currently playing DM for them. Surely he'd be better than what theyve had so far.

part of the issue is that, according to the coaching staff, neither Khedira nor Schweinsteiger can go 90 minutes halfway comfortably (and since Khedira came back from major knee surgery just a few weeks ago and Schweinsteiger missed considerable time in training camp, this seems valid), so if you play both then you might have 2 subs already that you have to use there. And all viable backups are out injured (Gündogan, Sven Bender and Lars Bender).

So i actually understand Lahm at DM, just not that there is no trust in a guy like Großkreutz or Durm. I mean, if you nominate them, you ought to trust them.

Plus, today we have 3 very similar guys with Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Kroos: Very assured on the ball, but no vertical runs, no quick passes and only marginal defensive presence.

For today, i hope he does put Lahm on the back and Schweinsteiger has to tough it out.

And up front, i guess Klose will come on soon for Götze, Müller will go to the right and Özil on the left. Then we turn back the clock to 2002 and hope to god that Klose has a header or 2 left in him ...

I am very, very disillusioned right now

Edit: Hat goes off for what Algeria is doing though. Lots of passion, very assured on the ball and clearly having a plan how to exploit the german weaknesses.

Last edited by whomario : 06-30-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #2510
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Question is, can Algeria keep up with that level of tempo for 90 minutes?

I have a feeling Germany is going to start getting increasingly good chances about 20-30 minutes into the second half. Algeria spent a LOT of energy there.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-30-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #2511
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
part of the issue is that, according to the coaching staff, neither Khedira nor Schweinsteiger can go 90 minutes halfway comfortably (and since Khedira came back from major knee surgery just a few weeks ago and Schweinsteiger missed considerable time in training camp, this seems valid), so if you play both then you might have 2 subs already that you have to use there. And all viable backups are out injured (Gündogan, Sven Bender and Lars Bender).

So i actually understand Lahm at DM, just not that there is no trust in a guy like Großkreutz or Durm. I mean, if you nominate them, you ought to trust them.

Plus, today we have 3 very similar guys with Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Kroos: Very assured on the ball, but no vertical runs, no quick passes and only marginal defensive presence.

For today, i hope he does put Lahm on the back and Schweinsteiger has to tough it out.

And up front, i guess Klose will come on soon for Götze, Müller will go to the right and Özil on the left. Then we turn back the clock to 2002 and hope to god that Klose has a header or 2 left in him ...

I am very, very disillusioned right now

Edit: Hat goes off for what Algeria is doing though. Lots of passion, very assured on the ball and clearly having a plan how to exploit the german weaknesses.

awww you poor germans with your limited talent pool and no world class players getting picked on by the big bad Algerians
Old 06-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #2512
whomario
Pro Starter

Neuer´s first half touch map:

He is the only player with some balls here it seems...
Old 06-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #2513
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Just you wait. Germany's talent pool will continually dwindle, thanks to Klinsmann poaching all the talent for the US squad.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #2514
whomario
Pro Starter

What a pass by Neuer ... Maybe we can play him in Midfield ?
Old 06-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #2515
whomario
Pro Starter

Heym whaddayaknow ? Lahm to the back with Mustafi (poor chap) out injured.

Now bring on Klose and do this

Neuer is awesome
Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #2516
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Algeria with a lot of life left. Only mediocre finishing has prevented a lead here.

It seems parity has finally caught up to international soccer. This leaves only Geno Auriemma and Russ Rose entrenched in the ranks of sports royalty.

Though it does seem Germany has a goal coming. This has been a surprisingly entertaining match.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #2517
whomario
Pro Starter

Could someone please put Özil out of his misery ? What a terrible game and incredibly poor body language. Soft as hell ...
Old 06-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #2518
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I may be late to the party on this but in case someone else hasn't heard about it, I'll share.

At least as of this afternoon (not sure when they stop), if you tweet @ussoccer with the hashtag #USMNT then they will reply to you with a U.S. "digital jersey" emblazoned with your Twitter handle on the back.

I'm not exactly the biggest soccer guy around here but I really thought this was a very cool creative use of social media, well worth sharing.

I'll spoiler tag it to save space, but will include a cropped version of what they reply back with.

Spoiler
Old 06-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #2519
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Just you wait. Germany's talent pool will continually dwindle, thanks to Klinsmann poaching all the talent for the US squad.

And throw in the U.S.'s homegrown talent pool grown year-by-year.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #2520
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I may be late to the party on this but in case someone else hasn't heard about it, I'll share.

At least as of this afternoon (not sure when they stop), if you tweet @ussoccer with the hashtag #USMNT then they will reply to you with a U.S. "digital jersey" emblazoned with your Twitter handle on the back.

I'm not exactly the biggest soccer guy around here but I really thought this was a very cool creative use of social media, well worth sharing.

I'll spoiler tag it to save space, but will include a cropped version of what they reply back with.

Spoiler

Cool find!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #2521
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Cool find!

Thanks (I hoped somebody might like it).

Of all things, I found out via an RT from my son's school AD (who just got back from Brazil last night). Apparently he's really gotten into the whole WC thing.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #2522
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

edit: wrong thread

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-30-2014 at 04:53 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #2523
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Extra time baby!

Old 06-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #2524
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

UGh....sigh

Old 06-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #2525
Dutch
"Dutch"

That was a helluva goal!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #2526
Critch
lolzcat

Hopefully that'll shut the whistling fans up, it was getting right on my nerves.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #2527
whomario
Pro Starter

Plenty of drama here ... At least the german team manned up and fought the bad form.

Slimani just could not get his body to comply anymore, lucky for germany ...

Özil of all people ... Does not change the fact that he is not a guy you can rely on in big games.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #2528
Dutch
"Dutch"

Dramatic goal by Germany followed by a quick strike by Algeria to make it back to a 1 goal difference. Crazy finish again!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #2529
whomario
Pro Starter

Shades of 2002 ...

Incredible how we went from a free flowing technical team that lacked some heart to a clumsy, slow team whose biggest asset seems to be fighting spirit.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #2530
Alf
Pro Starter

Sevilla 1982 here we come.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #2531
Alf
Pro Starter

No penalty or yellow card on the action fwiw.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #2532
Alf
Pro Starter

Back to Germany. With Lahm back at wingback, this is worrying me even more, should be an exciting game to watch !
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #2533
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'll be rooting for France for the first time in this tournament.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:15 AM   #2534
Alf
Pro Starter

As expected all news here in France are again talking about Sevilla 82 and that Germany-France game.

That's my first sports memory event. We had a big family barbecue party to prepare for the game and all the kids were allowed to stay up late at night to watch the game. Good and bad memories.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #2535
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post

No penalty or yellow card on the action fwiw.

ESPN announcer mentioned the "near decapitation" that will be replayed for a week until the Germany - France Quarterfinal... I was wondering what he was referencing. Thanks for the video.

More details for those ignorant:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...d-cup-history/

Last edited by Butter : 07-01-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #2536
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Chile has the better keeper?

I remember reading somewhere that the better keepers tend to be worse at penalty shots as they overthink them, whereas statistical analysis suggests you're just better off jumping in one direction and hoping for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Manager, bus, Cristiano Ronaldo, thrown under....

Portugal are basically the same as Sweden with Zlatan.

Quote:

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #2537
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow. The swiss are taking it to Argentina
Old 07-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #2538
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Wow. The swiss are taking it to Argentina

Feel like we saw this yesterday too. Teams saying, screw it, and actually playing to make these giants defend and not just sit back in a shell.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #2539
kingfc22
Head Coach

That was a pathetic attempt by the Swiss player on that breakaway a few minutes back.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #2540
Easy Mac

I think Di Maria might set a world cup record for most middling shots off other players' shins.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #2541
bhlloy
Coordinator

Di Maria has been one of the most disappointing players of the tournament for me. I actually feel sorry for Messi, he is trying to be a good teammate from what I can see
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #2542
Easy Mac

I'd say everyone on Argentina but Messi has to be mentioned in the most disappointing players of the tournament. Most of their players have looked MLS quality this tournament.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #2543
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

If we can get past Belgium, I'm not terribly afraid of either of these teams.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #2544
Easy Mac

What more can Messi do? He literally put it on his teammate's foot in front of goal with nothing in between? BTW I'm in the 89th minute on the stream after Messi's little run.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #2545
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
What more can Messi do? He literally put it on his teammate's foot in front of goal with nothing in between? BTW I'm in the 89th minute on the stream after Messi's little run.

Lol, I just came here to post exactly the same thing. I wonder how much he wants to strangle his teammates after the sixth time of his passes gets lashed over the bar from distance or Di Maria tries a flashy move instead of just crossing the damn ball
Old 07-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #2546
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
If we can get past Belgium, I'm not terribly afraid of either of these teams.
I have the opposite feeling. If we can get past Belgium I think we match-up very well against Switzerland. Argentina concerns me though. So I'm rooting for Switzerland. However, if the US loses I restrospectively will have been rooting for Argentina since I think they will fare better against Brazil (and I REALLY don't want Brazil to win).
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #2547
bhlloy
Coordinator

How bad is that Donovan Nivea commercial? And even if it wasn't awful, wouldn't you want someone who actually made it to the WC?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #2548
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I have the opposite feeling. If we can get past Belgium I think we match-up very well against Switzerland. Argentina concerns me though. So I'm rooting for Switzerland. However, if the US loses I restrospectively will have been rooting for Argentina since I think they will fare better against Brazil (and I REALLY don't want Brazil to win).

Pretty much exactly where I'm at too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #2549
Easy Mac

Argentina literally cannot complete a cross. This team can't strike fear into anything.

Although, for as much possession as the Swiss had in the first extra time, I'm not sure that they even thought about trying to score. They seem completely content to take it to penalties, even if they're 15 yards from goal.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #2550
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post

IMO, Argentina looks at lot like Portugal - 10 guys plus Messi. They didn't exactly light it up against mediocre competition in their group, and this match hasn't show much much either.

But, we can argue this point ... AFTER we liberate the fuck out of Belgium.