Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2023, 07:35 AM   #25701
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I have absolutely no use for the Alexa/Siri/Echo/Roku voice-activated stuff, but I will admit that it's tons of fun to walk by my daughter's door and say "Alexa play death metal" and walk off and then she comes out of the bathroom to Cannibal Corpse.

This but also "play Raffi"

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 09:40 AM   #25702
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I injured myself in a very bizarre way last night. I've been doing a lot of outdoor cooking, to avoid cooking in the kitchen until I get my AC repaired. I grilled some Italian sausages, and sauteed some peppers and onions in a cast iron skillet. Took the sausages off the grill to let them cool for a bit, and to finish cooking the peppers and onions. Put the sausage in a bun, topped it with the peppers and onions, then took a bite.

A stream of hot oil came out of the sausage and went directly up one nostril, and burned the inside of my nose. Not a very pleasant experience. Still really tender today.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 09:49 AM   #25703
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry for your misfortune but had to laugh at the visual.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #25704
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I think I saw a video where that happened to Mia Khalifa.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:24 AM   #25705
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats kids. Well deserved!

Old 08-22-2023, 01:55 PM   #25706
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really miss that dancing banana emoji or whatever it was we used to have here.

I often feel like it would be a perfect response to many a text message as well.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 01:58 PM   #25707
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola:

I recently ordered a new dishwasher from Home Depot and it's been an absolute nightmare from hell:

August 11 - The dishwasher is delivered, but no installation or installation preicheck conducted. All communications indicated that delivery, installation and haul away all would happen at the same time. No mention at all of the need to schedule separate appointments for installation or haul away. This was not communicated to me until the delivery was made. A a result, I had to make a separate installation appointment and had a large box sitting in my living room for a week. Day of work missed.

August 17 - Installers came out, but installation not done due to leaky valve that should have been checked and revealed by delivery team. Another day of work missed.

August 18 - Another guy comes out and installation complete, but done poorly. I was promised haul away that day, but was then told no haul away was possible by the guy. Installer said he would arrive between 9-1, but didn't arrive until 4:30. No call from him. Installer left a huge mess and I had to pull my old machine out to garage out myself and schedule a separate haul away appointment. Another day of work missed.

August 20 - Run the machine twice. Seemed to work fine.

August 21 - Machine stops working and produced a H20 error indicating that water was not getting into the unit after only two runs.

August 23 - Separate haul away appointment.

August 28 - Another service call scheduled (Installation check) - Maytag coming out to check. Another day of work will be missed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-22-2023, 02:27 PM   #25708
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I really miss that dancing banana emoji or whatever it was we used to have here.

I often feel like it would be a perfect response to many a text message as well.

Old 08-22-2023, 02:30 PM   #25709
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Dola:

I recently ordered a new dishwasher from Home Depot and it's been an absolute nightmare from hell:

August 11 - The dishwasher is delivered, but no installation or installation preicheck conducted. All communications indicated that delivery, installation and haul away all would happen at the same time. No mention at all of the need to schedule separate appointments for installation or haul away. This was not communicated to me until the delivery was made. A a result, I had to make a separate installation appointment and had a large box sitting in my living room for a week. Day of work missed.

August 17 - Installers came out, but installation not done due to leaky valve that should have been checked and revealed by delivery team. Another day of work missed.

August 18 - Another guy comes out and installation complete, but done poorly. I was promised haul away that day, but was then told no haul away was possible by the guy. Installer said he would arrive between 9-1, but didn't arrive until 4:30. No call from him. Installer left a huge mess and I had to pull my old machine out to garage out myself and schedule a separate haul away appointment. Another day of work missed.

August 20 - Run the machine twice. Seemed to work fine.

August 21 - Machine stops working and produced a H20 error indicating that water was not getting into the unit after only two runs.

August 23 - Separate haul away appointment.

August 28 - Another service call scheduled (Installation check) - Maytag coming out to check. Another day of work will be missed.

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 02:37 PM   #25710
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ugh. When we replaced ours my daughter and I did it ourselves. Thankfully everything went fine. Our big appliance nightmare was paying $1,600 for a Frigidaire refrigerator and less than two years later having to replace it. Bought the extended warranty this time by golly.
Meanwhile, we are looking at a big septic sytem repair. The price range anywhere from $5.5K to $18k.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #25711
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

There he is! That’s my guy!!
Old 08-22-2023, 08:31 PM   #25712
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just now noticed, for the first time, the “more” button on the icons. My banana guy has been hiding in plain sight all this time…
Old 08-22-2023, 08:40 PM   #25713
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I just now noticed, for the first time, the “more” button on the icons. My banana guy has been hiding in plain sight all this time…

Like Steam?

Old 08-22-2023, 09:21 PM   #25714
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I needed a laugh when I came here and this page did it. Thanks!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 11:20 AM   #25715
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
for the first time in nearly 4 weeks, I have AC again
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 12:35 PM   #25716
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
for the first time in nearly 4 weeks, I have AC again

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-23-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:11 AM   #25717
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My son's middle school just called with a canned fundraising call.

Why the hell do you send that in the middle of the school day?

You see the school's caller id on your phone, and your thoughts range from my-kid-is-sick to active-shooter

Just send the robocall at 5PM
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:26 AM   #25718
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Heh. They just sent a text apologizing. I imagine several pissed parents thought the same thing I did and decided to call and yell at them about it.
Old 08-24-2023, 06:56 PM   #25719
bob
College Starter

I’m not a jealous person by nature, but I am incredibly jealous of friends of mine whose wives take the kids and head to the in-laws for a week in the summer. I can’t remember the last time I had even a 24 hour period where it was just me and I could do whatever I wanted without constant compromise.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 07:20 PM   #25720
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Right there with you, bob. Especially:

Quote:
I can’t remember the last time I had even a 24 hour period where it was just me and I could do whatever I wanted without constant compromise.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:24 PM   #25721
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I’m not a jealous person by nature, but I am incredibly jealous of friends of mine whose wives take the kids and head to the in-laws for a week in the summer. I can’t remember the last time I had even a 24 hour period where it was just me and I could do whatever I wanted without constant compromise.

Earlier this spring, my wife was going to take the kids to see her sister in South Carolina for a few days. I was quite excited for the days to myself. The morning they were scheduled to leave, my wife got an ear infection and the whole trip was cancelled. Dreams deferred…

They scheduled another trip in November. If that materializes, they’ll leave Saturday and come back Wednesday. I plan to take those days off work and revel in the solitude. Poor choices will be made. Up too late. Bad diet. All that stuff.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:05 PM   #25722
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

When I worked in a law firm, that happened at least 1 week a year if not 2 but it wasn't so I could sit around and enjoy life. Yes, I had nights to myself but it was a working "solitary vacation" I guess.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-24-2023 at 10:05 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:08 AM   #25723
cuervo72
Head Coach

My wife would occasionally take the kids to the in-laws in FL if I didn't have the extra vacation days. And while the kids are now both out of the house, she took a similar trip for a handful of days to visit them at their summer condo in NC earlier this month.

Of course, with the kids gone and my wife still working nights, three days a week are basically me getting up to work, working until 4:30 or so (just about when she is getting ready for work), us eating dinner and then she leaving for work at 6PM. So three nights a week are basically to myself.
Old 08-25-2023, 02:18 PM   #25724
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Caught Instacart pulling an annoying obnoxious little trick today. I'm pretty sure it's new because my eye caught it immediately during checkout and I have a hard time imagining I missed it fifty times previously.

There's a "priority" option for grocery delivery -- I see it for Publix, Kroger, whoever -- and for $2 you usually get delivery in about an hour as opposed to a 2-3 hour window. Worth it to me usually since it reduces the amount of time I have to sit & monitor the order.

For the first time I noticed that $2 fee is now _really_ $4 ... they charge you $2 in the fees menu and another $2 listed as Priority fee. One of those is for the priority, the other is listed as "processing fee for upgrading to priority".

That's just tacky as hell.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:15 PM   #25725
PilotMan
Head Coach

Along that line I caught something similar. I was at a Reds game at Great American Ballpark, ordered food, and put my card in, and when it was done, the cashier pushed a button on the card reader screen and it went quickly to the end of sale. Said thanks and left. Except that I knew what screen that was from buying beer at another vendor. That was the tip screen. He hit 10%, and didn't say anything. So on my order, I was upcharged that 10% without my approval. I actually ended up emailing the ballpark the next day and explained what happened and said I had verified the higher expense, and that they could probably corroborate that happening over and over again at that cashier.

They were very receptive and apologetic, refunded my money, said we take this seriously, and I assume, fired the ever loving shit out of everyone involved.

Like Steam?

Old 08-25-2023, 03:17 PM   #25726
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
For the first time I noticed that $2 fee is now _really_ $4 ... they charge you $2 in the fees menu and another $2 listed as Priority fee. One of those is for the priority, the other is listed as "processing fee for upgrading to priority".

What the fucking fuck?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 03:27 PM   #25727
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I would still like Ticketmaster to explain to me why/how the cost of processing a ticket somehow fluctuates according to the value of the ticket.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 03:37 PM   #25728
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fewer days are more stressful for a kid than today. She found out who her teacher would be then the flurry of communications learning who everyone else has.

Happy to report she got the teacher she wanted, and on of her 2 best friends are in her class, plus 4 other very close friends. She has also for the most part avoided kids she doesn't like. She is very happpy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 06:01 PM   #25729
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I would still like Ticketmaster to explain to me why/how the cost of processing a ticket somehow fluctuates according to the value of the ticket.

It's sad, but we're lucky places like Amazon or Walmart don't tack on processing fees... because they're actually processing things. It's like if I was literally controlling a person's fingers on the other end of the computer who was inputting my ticket purchase... at least then a processing fee would make sense.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:12 PM   #25730
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is a corollary of some sort to another of my pet peeves: online ordering that adds the junk fees (delivery charge, service charge, etc) to the amount they recommend you tip on.

No m'fers, that ain't how this works.

$38 worth of stuff is the amount my tip is based on ... they worked not one iota more because you added on $9 worth of crap that's all digital. Fuck you, no.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:23 PM   #25731
Edward64
Head Coach

Reminds me of airbnb where the rental price is shown on the first screen (map) but when you go a couple more clicks, there's the "cleaning" fee. I get a cleaning fee but it is not a standard %. Essentially, an arbitrary charge an owner can add, so a $70 rental can turn out to be a $90 rental.

And also for hotel search websites. Room rate on first page, and then 2 clicks down the tax (valid charge) and arbitrary service fee. Just combine them all.

Basically BS way to get you to look at their room/hotel on the first page because it's "cheaper".
Old 08-27-2023, 07:57 AM   #25732
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

I feel like if I had 4 full days - 2 week days while things are open and then the weekend days - I could knock a lot of things off the to do list and also have a mental break and reset. But alas…
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 09:36 AM   #25733
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Reminds me of airbnb where the rental price is shown on the first screen (map) but when you go a couple more clicks, there's the "cleaning" fee. I get a cleaning fee but it is not a standard %. Essentially, an arbitrary charge an owner can add, so a $70 rental can turn out to be a $90 rental.

And also for hotel search websites. Room rate on first page, and then 2 clicks down the tax (valid charge) and arbitrary service fee. Just combine them all.

Basically BS way to get you to look at their room/hotel on the first page because it's "cheaper".

airbnb has a very prominent toggle where you can display total price instead.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 10:19 AM   #25734
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post

I see it. It wasn't there previously ...

Quote:
Starting December 2022, Airbnb users will see the total price in search results, as well as on the map, price filter, and listing page.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:19 AM   #25735
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post

I see it. It wasn't there on the first page previously ...

Quote:
Starting December 2022, Airbnb users will see the total price in search results, as well as on the map, price filter, and listing page.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:12 PM   #25736
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Had been who knows how long since I'd gotten one but when did McDonald's shrink their sundae down to Wendys-keychain-frosty size?

I feel like fucking Gulliver holding this thing.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:26 AM   #25737
Edward64
Head Coach

Shrinkflation hits again.

Fast Food Restaurants That Are Receiving Shrinkflation Complaints

Haven't been to a McD, Burger King, Wendy's in a while. And only to CFA for the Lemonade and soft serve ice cream.

I appreciate Five Guys for good burgers & the amount of "free" excess fries and the free peanuts. Honorable mention goes to Cracker Barrel and Waffle House for keeping prices reasonable. Also the Chinese Buffet near us. Not big on Chinese buffets but went because wife heard good things about it and wanted to check it out. For $13, the food was pretty decent.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:48 AM   #25738
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

This is basically an ad but Barkeepers Friend is an amazing product. Was getting something out of a cabinet when a bottle of Angostura bitters fell on the quartz counter and shattered into a billion pieces. Once I cleared the glass I worked on cleaning the liquid. Massive stain was setting in everywhere: counter, cabinets, wall, floor...

Nothing was working on the counter or cabinets after about 15 minutes of scrubbing and I was freaking out. Meanwhile I also had burgers on the grill and fries in the air fryer so I'm running around. Finally took a second to Google and saw a reddit post suggesting Barkeeper's Friend. Thankfully we had a bottle hidden under the sink.

Used as directed and after 1 application the stain nearly disappeared. 2nd application and it was like new. The wife never would have known if I didn't have a guilty conscience.

No idea what kind of cancer causing chemicals are in that bottle, but damned if it wasn't worth it.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:24 AM   #25739
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I have a similar view of the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It can get stuff clean when other things don't work. And I don't really want to know the details.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:11 AM   #25740
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

My fingers feel so weird after using a magic eraser... Like its dissolving my soul starting with my hand.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:45 PM   #25741
21C
College Prospect

I am going on a work-subsidized pilgrimage to Israel and Jordan in a couple of weeks. I work for a Catholic school system and, while I am Catholic, I am not really religious. I even wrote on my application that I am non-practicing so I was surprised to get accepted.

Yesterday we had our final meeting to cover basic requirements and we were to be told our designated roommates. We could either pair up with someone we knew or get allocated a person to share a room with. I didn't know any of the other men in the group so I waited to find out who I would partner with. It turns out that there was an odd number of men so I was assigned a room to myself. Ordinarily I would have had to pay a supplement for this but was told that the diocese would take care of it.

You could not wipe the smile off my face after I was told this. I am a loner and an introvert normally and shun travel tour groups but thought this trip was too good to pass up. The fact that I got a room to myself made my day.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:49 PM   #25742
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice.

Visiting Jerusalem is on my bucket list. I've also wanted to visit the West Bank but not sure if that's wise.

(Also on my bucket list is Iraq where the 3 rivers supposedly met, but I know that won't a happen in my remaining life time).
Old 08-30-2023, 06:44 PM   #25743
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I have a similar view of the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It can get stuff clean when other things don't work. And I don't really want to know the details.

You DO want to know the details, because it's called melamime and you can get 10-50 generic melamime sponges for the price of a magic eraser.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:24 PM   #25744
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
I am going on a work-subsidized pilgrimage to Israel and Jordan in a couple of weeks. I work for a Catholic school system and, while I am Catholic, I am not really religious. I even wrote on my application that I am non-practicing so I was surprised to get accepted.

Yesterday we had our final meeting to cover basic requirements and we were to be told our designated roommates. We could either pair up with someone we knew or get allocated a person to share a room with. I didn't know any of the other men in the group so I waited to find out who I would partner with. It turns out that there was an odd number of men so I was assigned a room to myself. Ordinarily I would have had to pay a supplement for this but was told that the diocese would take care of it.

You could not wipe the smile off my face after I was told this. I am a loner and an introvert normally and shun travel tour groups but thought this trip was too good to pass up. The fact that I got a room to myself made my day.
I had something on a smaller scale happen to me the last two times I went to an overnight training. The person that was sharing a room with me had to drop last minute both times. Took a stressful trip to a fun trip pretty quickly.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:03 AM   #25745
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You DO want to know the details, because it's called melamime and you can get 10-50 generic melamime sponges for the price of a magic eraser.

This is sponge-worthy information.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:35 AM   #25746
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Last night was my annual fantasy football draft. 12 team no PPR $1200 pot league I've been in for almost two decades at this point. The last three years have taught me a hard lesson in not having an elite QB. The way this league awards points to QBs is kind of crazy.

For instance:
412 yards 4 TDs 0 INTs = 50 points
282 yards 1 TD 1 INT = 15 points
(25 yards = 1 point, TD = 6 points, 5 points for over 300 yards and then 5 more for over 400 yards, -2 for an interception)

It's really hard to win a game when you have the 2nd QB. I drafted Mahomes in the first round and people acted like I was crazy. I've had that 2nd QB for 3 straight years and missed the playoffs twice and went out in the first once while those guys with the top QBs played for the championship.
It also sort of set off a rush on QBs and by the end of the 2nd Burrow, Allen, Lamar, and Hurts were all gone too.

Last edited by dubb93 : 09-01-2023 at 11:36 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:50 AM   #25747
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

This is correct. We bought a big box from alibaba years and years ago and we still have them. A fraction of the cost of we'd bought them in the store.

Like Steam?

Old 09-04-2023, 07:18 AM   #25748
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 01:24 PM   #25749
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

My wife hired her best friend a few months ago.
She is firing her former best friend tomorrow.
As you can tell, it went swimmingly.
I should have been more forceful in saying DO NOT DO THIS.
As I told her, coworkers can be friends, but friends cannot be coworkers.
Old 09-07-2023, 02:07 PM   #25750
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
My wife hired her best friend a few months ago.
She is firing her former best friend tomorrow.
As you can tell, it went swimmingly.
I should have been more forceful in saying DO NOT DO THIS.
As I told her, coworkers can be friends, but friends cannot be coworkers.
That's got to be tough. Once we get older, it is so much harder to make friends especially close ones. Losing one can be devastating.