Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #25751
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

So which bill are you proposing that Ryan vote for that would be functionally equivalent of what he's asking? Some sort of salaried professionals negotiation bill?

How about a law giving us the right not to take a job if you don't like the terms of the job? (Wait, the constitution already gives us that right)

Last edited by molson : 10-26-2015 at 02:56 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #25752
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

As I've previously described, work/life balance is accomplished in a number of different ways. Sometimes the worker has the negotiating power to accomplish it, but more often, for Americans, it's something where you have to work around your employer's demands.

Therefore I'm not cherry-picking any particular bill Ryan should have supported as opposed to voting against. I'm, again, pointing out that his actions of the past week, compared to the entirety of his voting record, indicate a disconnect between what he wants for himself and the situation he believes his constituents should have.

You want me to pick a bill so you can nit and pick, but I'm making a broader argument, and one you seem disinclined to engage.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #25753
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Speaking of work/life balance, guys, this has been super-fun and all, but I have to leave in a bit to pick up my kids, make dinner, and put them to bed. We'll have to continue at a later date.

For your comfort, however, all the time I will be thinking of Paul Ryan and his exhaustive efforts to improve my work/life balance.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #25754
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Speaking of work/life balance, guys, this has been super-fun and all, but I have to leave in a bit to pick up my kids, make dinner, and put them to bed. We'll have to continue at a later date.

False equivalence

AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #25755
Edward64
Head Coach

Specific details aren't out yet but I'm glad there's some sort of deal. Nice way to send off Boehner and have the new speaker not worry about a budget crisis for the next 2 years.

Congressional leaders, White House reach two-year budget deal - The Washington Post
Quote:
The 144-page bill, which is the result of weeks of negotiations between the White House and Congressional leaders, would increase spending by $80 billion over two years and would increase the federal borrowing limit through March 15, 2017. A Wednesday vote all but ensures the budget deal will be one of the last acts for House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) who intends to step down from the speakership by Friday.
:
:
The agreement includes about $80 billion in additional spending over two years, divided equally between defense and domestic programs. Those spending increases would be offset by savings from changes to the Social Security disability insurance fund and Medicare payments to doctors and other health care providers. New revenue would be raised by auctioning off portions of government owned broadcast spectrum, selling oil from the Strategic Oil Reserve and by cracking down on audits of large business partnerships.

It also includes an additional $16 billion over two years from off-budget spending increases from the Overseas Contingency Operations Fund. That portion would not need to be offset, but Democrats previously opposed using the money for defense-only spending. In addition, a premium increase for Medicare Part B recipients would be prevented from going into effect.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #25756
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'm really glad they managed to find another $40bn for defense spending as I was concerned that the country wasn't spending enough on its military and might have to resort to investing in infrastructure or something constructive for a change ...

(end sarcasm)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #25757
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
He clearly believes in the value of work/life balance. Decades of experience indicate the current legislative regime vis-a-vis work/life balance hasn't done much to actually improve work/life balance, mainly because most employees have very little to no negotiating power in relation to this. Yet, he's highly resistant to revisiting his view on related legislation.

I'm not his biggest fan as a politician because I disagree with his policies - but I respect that he has the guts to stand up and negotiate to try and ensure he has work/life balance at the risk of having to take a different position.

PS - Don't get me wrong I'd love there to be some sort of sensible standard worker protection in Florida, I find it frankly amazing how biased towards corporations the employment laws are here ... its frankly farcical and I think its amazing that so many people are able to tolerate and thrive in a situation which causes them a lot of undue stress.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #25758
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Specific details aren't out yet but I'm glad there's some sort of deal. Nice way to send off Boehner and have the new speaker not worry about a budget crisis for the next 2 years.

Congressional leaders, White House reach two-year budget deal - The Washington Post

I'm glad that Boehner was able to get this done (also seems to indicate that he had absolutely no desire to engage in those pointless shutdown stareoffs his crazy base wanted). Also, this way, Ryan can jump in for a couple years and not have to worry about dealing with the Tea Party on the budget for a few years.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #25759
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I'm really glad they managed to find another $40bn for defense spending as I was concerned that the country wasn't spending enough on its military and might have to resort to investing in infrastructure or something constructive for a change ...

(end sarcasm)

My Way News - AP-GfK Poll: Use default, shutdown threats to cut spending

Quote:
Fifty percent in the poll said Congress should only increase federal borrowing authority if government spending is substantially cut — a trade-off Republicans frequently demand but last won in a 2011 showdown with Obama ... Eleven percent opposed boosting the ceiling under any circumstances.

That's over 60 percent who want a cut. Even 44% of Ds are willing to close federal agencies to get that spending reduction.

Even WITH the defense component -- which is the only justifiable reason for any increased spending afaic -- it's still an iffy play in terms of doing what voters actually want.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #25760
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But everyone with sense understands the terrible consequences of default. Voters don't want another great recession, this time without their Social Security and Medicare.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #25761
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But everyone with sense understands the terrible consequences of default. Voters don't want another great recession, this time without their Social Security and Medicare.

Voters don't want to continue down the same path that Congress chose either.

And I'm not particularly a budget hawk in the real sense of the word. I mean, you haven't heard me screaming about this particular deal have you?
(I haven't screamed horribly about some of the previous ones either).

I think that short-term increases in the debt ceiling are probably inevitable but I do oppose them occurring without spending cuts, I do oppose extending them for this length of time, and I would have been near foaming at the mouth if the latest deal hadn't offered the military component some relief.

edit to add: Didn't really finish my thought there so ... my thing about not being a true budget hawk is that at least I allow for an increase (or the ceiling to be suspended, whatever chicanery is used to render it ineffective) in some fashion & under certain circumstances. The real hawks on the issue won't give that much.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-27-2015 at 11:18 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #25762
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Relief? For the military budget?

There is no part of the overall budget with more fat than the military.

Yes, I know more could be done for the rank-and-file, but that's not a problem with the budget, that's a problem with the prioritization of the money put into the budget.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #25763
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Relief? For the military budget?

There is no part of the overall budget with more fat than the military.

It could stand reorganization, most definitely.

Ultimately however it's also the only "agency" that I'd like to see remain recognizably intact when all is said & done. Ideally -- and we probably can't ever get to this ideal, I realize that -- it should be the last one standing when they turn out the lights & close the doors on the large majority of DC.

I want their money spent wisely, I want it spent well, I have no problem with the existence of its budget nor even the size of its budget. There's no other entity I can say that about.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #25764
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Military should be the bulk of a federal budget, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be audited so the money is being spent wisely. Most of the other fat should be trimmed and the states should take over many programs.

The country was founded on the ideal that it was a collection of states ruling themselves together to avoid an overgrown out control beast of a government.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #25765
larrymcg421
Head Coach

That's a more accurate description of the Articles of Confederation, which was a complete disaster and led to the Constitutional Convention giving more power to the central government.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #25766
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One of the more surprising bits of that poll is right here
Quote:
A surprisingly significant minority of Democrats, 44 percent, were willing to close government to force spending cuts.

We may be getting close to the one thing both sides can agree on: it's time to cut government spending.

If only where those cuts should be made could be agreed upon as easily. Perhaps that's why we can't get the cuts.

(Yes, you can thank me for the bit of enlightenment later, just send 'em in care of Captain Obvious)
Old 10-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #25767
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Hey, Democrats can be idiots too, Jon.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #25768
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Military should be the bulk of a federal budget, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be audited so the money is being spent wisely. Most of the other fat should be trimmed and the states should take over many programs.

The country was founded on the ideal that it was a collection of states ruling themselves together to avoid an overgrown out control beast of a government.

If anything it was about putting a check on an overgrown, out of control federal military.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #25769
molson
General Manager

Targeted, scattered, and temporary full or partial agency shut-downs can save a lot of money really quickly. But you don't get your best value savings when it happens involuntarily as a result of threats and stand-offs.

Last edited by molson : 10-27-2015 at 01:26 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #25770
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Targeted, scattered, and temporary full or partial agency shut-downs can save a lot of money really quickly. But you don't get your best value savings when it happens involuntarily as a result of threats and stand-offs.

If that's the only way to bring the issue to a head ...
Old 10-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #25771
Edward64
Head Coach

Not that I disagree with the concept but timing is screwed up. It looks as if he was willing to do this, it should have been done before Russia joined the party.

Pentagon weighs ground strategy against ISIS - CNNPolitics.com
Quote:
The U.S. is considering increasing its attacks on ISIS through more ground action and airstrikes, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said Tuesday.

Carter told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the U.S. "won't hold back" from supporting partners carrying out such attacks or from "conducting such missions directly, whether by strikes from the air or direct action on the ground."

The White House, however, has yet to make a decision on the options for upping the campaign against ISIS, according to defense and administration sources. They said that further involvement on the ground was one of the possibilities being presented.

The ground option Carter mentioned to the committee was part of a three-prong effort -- which he dubbed the "three Rs" -- to adapt the U.S. policy on countering ISIS.

In addition to increased ground action and airstrikes, or "raids," Carter also spoke of the need to increase pressure around the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa in Syria, where "we will support moderate Syrian forces" fighting the terror organization there.

The last "R" is Ramadi, the capital of Iraq's Anbar province, where Carter said the U.S. would do more in terms of providing assistance and fire support to local Iraqi forces to take on ISIS.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #25772
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Ah, Ramadi.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #25773
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The airline company in Russia is now saying that the Russian plane that crashed in Egypt was brought down by an "external impact."
Old 11-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #25774
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
The airline company in Russia is now saying that the Russian plane that crashed in Egypt was brought down by an "external impact."

Flight recorders show crashed Russian jet not struck from outside - investigator - Yahoo News

My gut said bombed when I heard how wide the debris field was. It just reminded me of Lockerbie.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-02-2015 at 11:45 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #25775
bhlloy
Coordinator

The precious tail strike incident plus how quickly they denied that was the cause and the stellar safety record of Russian airlines that popped up in the 90s makes me think it wasn't a bomb, but the timing with Russia going into Syria is mighty suspicious. I'm not sure if it's a good thing for Putin or not if it turns out to be a bomb. It's almost certainly terrible new for Egypt who really need the tourism dollars.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #25776
Thomkal
Head Coach

Business as usual:

White House Calls Ryan's Immigration Remarks 'Preposterous' - ABC News
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #25777
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Yep, GOP leadership will use any means necessary to avoid working with the other side on legislation.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #25778
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Will anyone call out Ryan for the faulty logic of, the President is lawless regarding immigration, therefore, we won't write any laws about immigration.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #25779
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Is Bevin really going to take away Medicaid from almost ten percent of the KY population?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:52 PM   #25780
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fuck Bevin. I can't believe that mf got elected.

Like Steam?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #25781
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Drew Curtis is an internet friend of mine. It seems like he did really well in the first KY governor's debate, but afterwards got zero press coverage and was then excluded from subsequent debates.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #25782
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Fuck Bevin. I can't believe that mf got elected.

Oh now, "got elected" understates it a bit, don't you think?

Quote:
With 100 percent of the vote counted, Bevin led Conway with 53 percent of the vote compared to the Democrat's 44 percent - a near landslide. Independent Drew Curtis got almost 4 percent.

And more tellingly ...
Quote:
The victory was near complete with Bevin winning all but 14 of Kentucky's 120 counties, including stalwart Democratic counties like Pike and Woodford.

And joined by the first black ever elected to statewide office, Republican Lt. Gov elect Jenean Hampton.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 AM   #25783
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yep, just goes to show you how fucked up the state is. Kentucky is one of the best states for social services around. Something that we've had to use over the years, and I can see this going like the Iranian revolution where years and years of progress are rolled back to the stone age.

The current Gov had been very good for the state and a leader in the push for the expansion of medicare. The state was a shining star during the rollout of ACA because we had our own well functioning site. So now what, all that's going away?

It's hard to understate the level of poverty in some areas of this state. That's only going to get much worse under Bevin.

Like Steam?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #25784
Dutch
"Dutch"

If it gets any worse, then people should move like they did when Detroit got much worse.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #25785
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The UK is saying a bomb set by ISIS was the cause of the Russian crash.

That seems like a potentially really big deal. Will flights to the mid-East end? Will Egypt do anything? And of course the big question, what will Putin do?
Old 11-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #25786
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The UK is saying a bomb set by ISIS was the cause of the Russian crash.

I thought the Brits were simply saying that a bomb was the likely cause. I haven't seen anything that mentioned them commenting on the source of the bomb. (not saying that isn't out there somewhere, I just haven't seen it)
Old 11-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #25787
Dutch
"Dutch"

I saw a headline that said "US Intel thinks it was ISIS" or something along those lines.

There's a storm comin, ISIS.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-04-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #25788
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I thought the Brits were simply saying that a bomb was the likely cause. I haven't seen anything that mentioned them commenting on the source of the bomb. (not saying that isn't out there somewhere, I just haven't seen it)

I'm watching CNN. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they got ahead of facts.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #25789
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I'm watching CNN. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they got ahead of facts.
CNN is whipping up a frenzy. Either they feel they've got some really strong sources, or they're taking a huge risk right now.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #25790
Edward64
Head Coach

Not an Obama item but I guess related since he is dealing with the ramifications.

Bush 41 hits 43's aides in new biography - CNNPolitics.com
Quote:
An upcoming biography of former President George H.W. Bush contains harsh critical assessments by the 41st president of some of the top officials from his son's presidency.

The former president knocked former Vice President Dick Cheney and former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to his biographer, Jon Meacham in interviews for "Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush," calling Cheney an "iron-ass" and labeling Rumsfeld "an arrogant fellow."
:
"The reaction to (the 9/11 terrorist attacks), what to do about the Middle East," Bush told his biographer. "Just iron-ass. His seeming under to the real hard-charging guys who want to fight about everything, use force to get our way in the Middle East."

Bush attributed some of that hard-right turn to Cheney's wife, Lynne Cheney, a historian and conservative thinker, according to Meacham.

"You know, I've concluded that Lynne Cheney is a lot of the eminence grise here -- iron-ass, tough as nails, driving," he told Meacham.

But Bush also told his biographer that Cheney was "a good man" and that President George W. Bush had made a mistake by allowing him to "bring in kind of his own State Department."
:
The 41st president was decidedly more critical of Rumsfeld in his conversations with Meacham. Bush charged that the former defense secretary "served the president badly" and was an "arrogant fellow." He also said of Rumsfeld in interviews for the biography:

"I don't like what he did, an I think it hurt the President, having his iron-ass view of everything, Bush told Meacham. "There's a lack of humility, a lack of seeing what the other guy thinks. He's more kick ass and take names, take numbers. I think he paid a price for that."
:
Despite his father's dim assessment of how Cheney and Rumsfeld served him, former President George W. Bush was supportive of his team in a statement issued in response to the book.

"I am proud to have served with Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld," he said in a statement. "Dick Cheney did a superb job as vice president, and I was fortunate to have him by my side throughout my presidency. Don Rumsfeld ably led the Pentagon and was an effective secretary of defense. I am grateful to both men for their good advice, selfless service to our country, and friendship."

Rumsfeld fired back at George H.W. Bush in a statement Thursday.

"Bush 41 is getting up in years and misjudges Bush 43, who I found made his own decisions. There are hundreds of memos on Rumsfeld's Rules that represent advice the Department of Defense gave the President," Rumsfeld said.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #25791
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Bush 41 is getting up in years and misjudges Bush 43

classy

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 11-05-2015 at 12:54 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:05 AM   #25792
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They're claiming to have killed that Jihadi John guy via a drone strike.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:57 AM   #25793
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They're claiming to have killed that Jihadi John guy via a drone strike.

awesome! well as much awesome as it can be to kill a person...
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #25794
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing someone sold him as he had a 6 million pounds bounty on him. Circumstances seem to suggest that amyways
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:49 AM   #25795
Dutch
"Dutch"

Maybe. We'll never know, I guess.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #25796
RainMaker
General Manager

Sounds like they've been tracking him for awhile and just waiting for an opportunity to hit. I guess he likes to surround himself with civilians to avoid being hit with a drone strike.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:22 AM   #25797
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

That moment when the ranking Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee goes on the most liberal of the major networks right after you've said "ISIL is contained" and says "I've never been more concerned. I read the intelligence faithfully. ISIL is not contained. ISIL is expanding."

Feinstein: ‘I’ve never been more concerned’ | MSNBC
Old 11-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #25798
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Message Control, thy name is not Democrat.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #25799
bob
College Starter

Wait, Turkey shot down a Russian plane? This isn't going to end well.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/24/middle...der/index.html
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #25800
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Wait, Turkey shot down a Russian plane? This isn't going to end well.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/24/middle...der/index.html

With today's NATO air-defense technology, it's highly unlikely that the Russian plane was NOT in Turkish air space if the result was the Turks shooting it down.

The Russians are known for shooting down anything for trespassing. I'm sure the Russians won't be overly upset by this...they at least know the game. They need to be more vigilant in their flight paths though.