Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #25801
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The WH is writing copy for The Lincoln Project again.

Is the thought here that he is going to steal the election and this isn't a matter anymore, or has he accepted that he's not going to win and he's just trying to grab what he can to maximize his greed and corruption before getting pardoned by Pence or blatantly pardoning himself.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:24 PM   #25802
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

As if I was surprised:

Biden warns of Russian election interference after receiving intelligence briefings | TheHill
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 07-17-2020, 10:07 PM   #25803
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Is the thought here that he is going to steal the election and this isn't a matter anymore, or has he accepted that he's not going to win and he's just trying to grab what he can to maximize his greed and corruption before getting pardoned by Pence or blatantly pardoning himself.

I just think he doesn't care about issues unless they are about him. Pandemic stuff is work and he just wants to watch TV and tweet.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:20 PM   #25804
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I just think he doesn't care about issues unless they are about him. Pandemic stuff is work and he just wants to watch TV and tweet.

Yep, it's not about him, and when it is, it's bad, and he can't say things that make it better, so it's better to ignore it and move on.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #25805
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
The question now is ... within the US, should the vaccine should go to healthcare workers (makes sense) and then POC even before people with underlying conditions, older people etc. I think an argument could be made to vaccinate the younger generation first even.

(Therapeutics, treatment should go to the ones that need it most e.g. already in hospital, ventilators etc.)

Hopefully once a vaccine is found, the ramp up time will be 1-2 months before everyone in the US (or UK or China) gets it and the gap will be short.

I think it should go to people who need it the most first, regardless of their level of melanin. Underlying conditions, elderly, health workers, essential workers, etc. Where I probably disagree with most is that I think we need to be spreading it internationally, allies or otherwhise, far before we worry about all Americans getting it.

I also think getting it to everyone in the country takes a lot longer than a month or two. Even if we have enough of the vaccine, I don't see how we safely administer it to that many people that quickly; the logistics just aren't there.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #25806
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'm considering going down to ground zero at the justice center to see how things are popping off tonight. Or I might go to bed at 7.

I ate gummy bears until my stomach hurt instead. That's the real struggle.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:18 PM   #25807
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think it should go to people who need it the most first, regardless of their level of melanin. Underlying conditions, elderly, health workers, essential workers, etc. Where I probably disagree with most is that I think we need to be spreading it internationally, allies or otherwhise, far before we worry about all Americans getting it.

Regardless of Biden or Trump, I don't see us giving the vaccine internationally "first" before all Americans getting it (or at least not publicly). The best is to give the formula/process to everyone (but not the actual vaccine) so they can mass produce themselves. It would be political suicide otherwise.

Quote:
I also think getting it to everyone in the country takes a lot longer than a month or two. Even if we have enough of the vaccine, I don't see how we safely administer it to that many people that quickly; the logistics just aren't there.

We now go to CVS, Walgreens etc. to get the flu shot. It wasn't that long ago when we had to go to doctor's office for that, I think around 2008+ when that changed. Nurses can give shots. I can picture a mass mobilization of healthcare professionals to get it done (well assuming its a Biden administration).

So IMO I worry more about manufacturing and distribution moreso than the actual giving of the shot.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:08 AM   #25808
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
I ate gummy bears until my stomach hurt instead. That's the real struggle.

Sitting in the bathroom tomorrow will be the real struggle
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #25809
Edward64
Head Coach

I like what Bernie is proposing and assume he had strategized with Biden and they are coordinated.

Devil is in the details ... I've seen people wearing masks in their cars, that's a little too much for me. But I've seen people walked into restaurants or Krogers unmasked and think they are selfish.

We'll see if it gets to a vote. Interesting to see how votes fall in the legislation.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/opini...itt/index.html
Quote:
That's why we are urgently calling for a simple, common-sense, practical and inexpensive way to protect Americans during the coronavirus pandemic: Masks for All. Our goal must be to make high-quality masks available on an equitable basis to every single person in this country at no cost. Next week, one of us will introduce legislation to do just that.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-18-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #25810
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

On the issue of how to make sense of Trump's actions/inactions, I have an overwhelming sense of foreboding for November. He gambled on Covid and lost, big time. George Floyd/BLM gave him an opportunity to solidify his followers, not so much for election purposes but to run interference for what might come in November. He's been pounding the fraudulent election stuff for months, and mail-in/absentee ballots are only going to be more numerous across the country thanks to his mishandling of the virus. Now look what's happening in Portland - it's like a trial balloon for how to handle dissenters.

I hate conspiracy theories, but the truth is, Trump has been getting away with lying and corruption in broad daylight for 4 years and is now more emboldened than ever. I wouldn't put it past him to try it once more, on a grander scale, to hold off the inevitable. He may already be at the point of not wanting to waste time, money and energy on winning over Americans because he knows it's a lost cause and likely because he's satisfied with the 35-40% who will follow him off a cliff. That leaves one avenue to try to stay in power, if for no reason other than to hold off any potential criminal investigations.

Do I truly believe this could happen? Not really, but he's gotten away with a laundry list of things that would have seemed crazy 4 years ago. Trump is exactly the guy to try it and I can't make any sense of his endgame other than to think of the worst case scenario given where we are and how he's responding to it all.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-18-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #25811
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Regardless of Biden or Trump, I don't see us giving the vaccine internationally "first" before all Americans getting it (or at least not publicly). The best is to give the formula/process to everyone (but not the actual vaccine) so they can mass produce themselves. It would be political suicide otherwise.

We now go to CVS, Walgreens etc. to get the flu shot. It wasn't that long ago when we had to go to doctor's office for that, I think around 2008+ when that changed. Nurses can give shots. I can picture a mass mobilization of healthcare professionals to get it done (well assuming its a Biden administration).

So IMO I worry more about manufacturing and distribution moreso than the actual giving of the shot.

We will have plenty to give internationally. A recent poll suggested nearly 50% of republicans would not take the vaccine. Grassley will probably write a law that will allow insurance and drug companies to have the government subsidize production while they sell it for bank overseas.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #25812
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sell it for bank overseas? Heck, I am hearing $3,000 a dose here

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-18-2020 at 10:30 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #25813
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, if you were fine thinking unmarked federal troops disappearing people in Portland was an isolated thing

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/attor...eration-legend

Quote:
As part of Operation Legend, Attorney General Barr directed federal agents from the FBI, U.S. Marshal Service, DEA and ATF to surge resources to Kansas City in the coming weeks to help state and local officials fight the surge of violent crime. They will be working alongside state and local law enforcement agencies. Department of Justice assets will include over 100 FBI agents, U.S. Marshals, DEA agents, and ATF agents.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #25814
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ken Cuccinelli confirms to NPR that they are going to be rolling this out across the country

DHS Official On Reports Of Federal Officers Detaining Protesters In Portland, Ore. : NPR

Quote:
But, you know, this is a posture we intend to continue not just in Portland but in any of the facilities that we’re responsible for around the country

SI

Old 07-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #25815
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, yeah, the brownshirts are coming.

SI

Old 07-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #25816
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
And if we have a question about somebody's identity - like the first example I noted to you - after questioning determine it isn't someone of interest, then they get released.

nothing scary about that...dangerously close to asking for their papers.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #25817
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They are practically begging for one of these folks to get killed so they can use it in the campaign.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #25818
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Philando Castile showed me that the NRA was lying to my face about caring about guns.

Portland (and coming soon to a city near you) shows me that it was lying to my face about caring about tyrrany.

So, bad on me. I was stupid and I was naive, and I believed y'all. I'm sure great belly laughs were had over idiots like me:

"Can you believe these guys?! I mean, they still think we aren't a thinly veiled front for a white supremacist police state? I mean, that's some wear-your-pants-on-your-head stupid right there."

So, I am ashamed to admit it. But I was that stupid. I believed that this was about reducing government regulations. About tax rates. About freedom and personal expression.

I mean, I get it now. And I still wonder (by wonder I mean "hope desperately") if y'all let the mask slip a little too early. That y'all needed to consolidate a bit more power before you unveiled your true nature.

But I guess we'll see.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #25819
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

This didn't have to be this way.

Remember when Bernie was leading the Dem nomination. And all of the people who called themselves "moderate" Democrats were like, "Oh. We aren't a party of extremists. Let's vote for the moderate guy instead." And then we got Biden? Remember that.

STOPPING. TRUMP. WAS. THAT. EASY. GOP voters just needed to LITERALLY NOT VOTE FOR HIM. I mean, the Dems were nominating Hillary for God's sake. ANYONE would have beat her AND THE GOP KNEW THAT. Look at their anti-Hillary ads at the time. Her badness wasn't exactly a secret.

So I am not as receptive to the "I'm a conservative, but I've never really fully supported Trump" thing. Because they did. And they did it because they wanted him to be President. And that's why he's here.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #25820
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
On the issue of how to make sense of Trump's actions/inactions, I have an overwhelming sense of foreboding for November. He gambled on Covid and lost, big time. George Floyd/BLM gave him an opportunity to solidify his followers, not so much for election purposes but to run interference for what might come in November. He's been pounding the fraudulent election stuff for months, and mail-in/absentee ballots are only going to be more numerous across the country thanks to his mishandling of the virus. Now look what's happening in Portland - it's like a trial balloon for how to handle dissenters.

I hate conspiracy theories, but the truth is, Trump has been getting away with lying and corruption in broad daylight for 4 years and is now more emboldened than ever. I wouldn't put it past him to try it once more, on a grander scale, to hold off the inevitable. He may already be at the point of not wanting to waste time, money and energy on winning over Americans because he knows it's a lost cause and likely because he's satisfied with the 35-40% who will follow him off a cliff. That leaves one avenue to try to stay in power, if for no reason other than to hold off any potential criminal investigations.

Do I truly believe this could happen? Not really, but he's gotten away with a laundry list of things that would have seemed crazy 4 years ago. Trump is exactly the guy to try it and I can't make any sense of his endgame other than to think of the worst case scenario given where we are and how he's responding to it all.

We are in a failed state and 45% of the country turned over complete rationality and decency to him. They made an issue out of Obama's suit but ignore obvious corruption.

Trump will either cheat to win in November or refuse to give up power which will create a major crisis in our country. And the irony to me is if he would have handled the pandemic well, he would have won re-election rather easily.

Because a lot of people have no problem with his behavior or some of his actions. His base sees him as some sort of savior who is going to arrest all the pedophiles in Hollywood and the Deep State.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:05 PM   #25821
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
if he would have handled the pandemic well, he would have won re-election rather easily.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #25822
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It would be political suicide otherwise.

I thought you were talking what was the ethical choice. There's a big difference between 'what's ethical' and 'what's political viable'. Two questions with different answers on most issues including this one.

Quote:
We now go to CVS, Walgreens etc. to get the flu shot. It wasn't that long ago when we had to go to doctor's office for that, I think around 2008+ when that changed.

Even under the large assumption that we have enough vaccine ready to go, how long has the flu shot been available? Any COVID vaccine is going to need to go through a process of making it more easily available to the masses with training, different guidelines being enacted/implemented and then revised, etc. I don't see how you go from 0-to-60, no vaccine yet to everyone can get one anytime anywhere. There's a process that's going to need to happen and there's only so much you can shorten it safely no matter how much money/resources are available.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #25823
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Like if he did NOTHING but say "AMERICA IS THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD AND WE ARE GONNA ALL WEAR MASKS TO SUPPORT OUR HERO MILITARY AND LAW ENFORCEMENT" the situation would have not been this dire.
— Yooty Mom x 3 (@yooty) July 17, 2020

Like if Stephen Miller had been whispering sweet nothings like "you know, sir, if everyone wears masks, they can't see when our people are doing what we need them to do"

SI

Old 07-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #25824
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

On the whole 'Trump's gonna steal the election/refuse to leave/brownshirts are coming' etc. there's a lot of Chicken Little going on. I still think all signs point to Trump losing, and increasingly badly, no matter what he tries to do. Either a sizable portion of the board or myself is going to feel really stupid about what's being said right now when election day (yes, I still think we will have one ) comes around.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #25825
Ksyrup

The only way I think we avoid some sort of election challenge/crisis is if he loses badly. If it's close, the more absentee ballots are cast, the longer we wait for a decision and the easier it will be to drag the whole thing out.

I'll freely admit to being Chicken Little in what I posted above and I hate it, but it's only because I wouldn't put anything past Trump.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #25826
Ksyrup

I guess this should be posted here?

Georgia Massaged Virus Data to Reopen, Then Voided Mask Orders

Quote:
But the same week Kemp ordered the reopening, his administration began presenting data in a way that made the state appear healthier than it was, said Thomas Tsai, a professor at Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

The technique involved backdating new cases to the time of first symptoms or taking a test, instead of reporting them as they were reported to the state, like Georgia had previously done -- and like most states do.

The effect -- as states were being told to predicate their reopenings on two weeks of declining case numbers -- was to artificially make Georgia’s trends look better. The state began adding new cases to past dates on its trend line, making current numbers both too low and incomplete, Tsai said.

“What’s deceptive is that they shave off the most recent two weeks,” he said. “If you look at the most recent two weeks, it’s always very low. It always looks artificially like a downward trend.”
Old 07-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #25827
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
On the whole 'Trump's gonna steal the election/refuse to leave/brownshirts are coming' etc. there's a lot of Chicken Little going on. I still think all signs point to Trump losing, and increasingly badly, no matter what he tries to do. Either a sizable portion of the board or myself is going to feel really stupid about what's being said right now when election day (yes, I still think we will have one ) comes around.

Maybe the issue is that "Trump" refers to a variety of people.

There's the man himself. Who knows what he is thinking on any given day?

There's some really bad people around him who I think are at least open to the possibility of a permanent police state with them in charge of it. And some of them are trying to make it happen.

There's a lot of folks in the fold who see the ship sinking and are just trying to steal/grab as much as they can before they jump into the lifeboats.

There are people who want him to lose and to fuck things up as much as possible on the way out so that they can start blaming Biden for everything starting in January.

And there's people who want to have a political career after Trump who are keeping their options open and waking up every morning and checking to see what way the wind is blowing.

That second group are the scariest ones. And I don't know if we know just how much juice they have.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #25828
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The only way I think we avoid some sort of election challenge/crisis is if he loses badly. If it's close, the more absentee ballots are cast, the longer we wait for a decision and the easier it will be to drag the whole thing out.

I'll freely admit to being Chicken Little in what I posted above and I hate it, but it's only because I wouldn't put anything past Trump.

Coincidentally I was coming to post a link to an article that says exactly this.

Trump will cling to power. To get him out, Biden will have to win big | Opinion | The Guardian
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #25829
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm not sure there's anything I want to watch less than the HBO documentary on Matt Gaetz draining the swamp.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #25830
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am not surprised at all. Kemp wanted to open at all costs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #25831
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Look, I've been posting on this board damn near (checks again) 20 years. God, has it been that long? And I'm sure there are some bad predictions here. I hated President Bush but I'm pretty sure I never felt he was going to refuse to leave the White House.

And if, when Corona is all over, we want to all have a beer and laugh about some of my bad predictions (I bet my 2004 Royals ones are pretty awesome) - that'd be awesome! But a lot of us genuinely fear for the future - it's not just histrionics to get attention.

I think it's a lot of "hope for the best, fear for the worst". For many of us, so many unthinkable things have happened in the last 4 years that things we had thought of as beyond that pale previously are possible.
  • Child separation and internment camps at our borders? Check!
  • Dozens, YES, DOZENS, of documented instances of police shooting at identified free press as they were covering protests. Check!
  • A Senate that gave a free pass to foreign interference in elections and supporters who cheered this. Bonus points as the country involved was the sworn mortal enemy of the previous patron saint of said supporters. Check!
  • A President siding with a white supremacist rally where one of them killed a person. And, yes, saying "both sides" is telling the white supremacists you support them - they got that message, we got that message, we all got that message. Check!
  • A pandemic where our President was using federal troops to seize PPE and give it out as political favors? Check!
  • And now, since the military wouldn't do it and military leadership united to tell the President to go pound sand, he's using other federal troops as a paramilitary force to "police" the cities. Check!
This isn't the run of the mill "haha - did the President just say to drink bleach?" or "what a dick move by McConnell on Supreme Court justices" or looting the treasury for his own enrichment. The right has their own grievances like that - Benghazi, Fast and Furious, Solyndra, a private email server, and even a tan suit or flag pin.

You'll have to forgive me if I think those bulleted hings above look more like the actions of someone marching down the road to Nazi town.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-18-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #25832
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

He knows he is going to lose badly, that is why he's going to steal the election.

It ain't chicken little.

He's still preventing release of his tax records to NY even though Supreme Court ruled.

He's still getting support from China and Russia to destabilize the election process.

He rails against mail ballots because it's corrupt.

He knows that if he loses the election he will be facing criminal charges.

If the senate is lost, he'll resign and get Pence to pardon him because he'll be impeached.

They are suppressing votes and they are now dispensing a secret police.

Wake the fuck up.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #25833
Drake
assmaster

...so if you resist being detained by federal agents who don't identify themselves as law enforcement, I assume that means that even if you hadn't originally done anything to warrant detainment that they can now legitimately charge you with resisting...something? Not arrest, because the DHS has been clear that the people they're detaining haven't been arrested.

Seems kind of like a circular argument.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #25834
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't think there will be brownshirts, police state etc.

But if Trump loses by a small margin, I do think there will be a crisis that Trump will somehow create (e.g. lawsuits on irregularities, refusing to transition, no show on inaugural day etc.). Take it to the bank, it's in his nature to create one(s). But it'll eventually come to naught and we'll move on.

I'm not as sure as you on the "bad loss". The race will tighten in Oct. Plenty of time for Biden/Hunter scandals, Dems to mis-step, overplay a hand, pick a wrong VP, strong positive vaccine/therapeutic news, market records, significant reduction in unemployment rate etc.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-18-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #25835
Drake
assmaster

Also, the fact that all the "masks are tyranny" guys I know are defending disappearing citizens as a tactic because it's "safer for law enforcement"...suggests to me that their "resisting tyranny" motif is all smoke and mirrors.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #25836
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I will say that if Biden wins and has a friendly House/Senate, the Dems have a blueprint of a lot of stuff that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Never mind that there's still going to be a pandemic and the shambles of a nightmare economy. But let's get to work on these pair of things.

1) Fix the voting mess in this country. Federal Voting Rights Act of 2021: move Election Day to a weekend or have it declared a national holiday. Make mandatory free Voter ID cards mandatory and outline exactly what you need and make it easy to get one so there can't be squirrelly, stupid state laws to poll tax people. Ex-felons can vote if they've done their time. Using debts as poll taxes need to be outlawed, too. Either do non-partisan redistricting committees or algorithm-drawn redistricting. No more of this state trifecta horrible map crap. Yeah, some of this is going to be struck down, but actually, you know, try to fix it so we're not in this stupid place again in the near future.

2) Criminal justice reform. Yes, it's complicated, but let's at least try to, you know, fix some of this crap. Get police reform going - the Dems already have a bill with a lot of stuff to try. Decriminalize marijuana in law- not just statue or executive action or stuff that can change from administration to administration. And release everyone who had a non-dealer conviction for that in the past. Outlaw private prisons - if the state wants to house people, they need to do it on their own dime. Or, you know, try to fix some of the societal problems that are leading to this. All these little armies of people that we're slushing around from DPS to ICE to Customs - those need to be shrunk and legally codified what they can do. Make it an easy court case to get an injunction for this stupid stuff we're seeing. They've drawn up the blueprint for what will happen the next time there's someone who totalitarian tendencies in the White House - might want to make it harder for them the next time out.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-18-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #25837
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
...so if you resist being detained by federal agents who don't identify themselves as law enforcement, I assume that means that even if you hadn't originally done anything to warrant detainment that they can now legitimately charge you with resisting...something? Not arrest, because the DHS has been clear that the people they're detaining haven't been arrested.

Seems kind of like a circular argument.

This is 100% how Guiliani used the police in NYC in the 90's. Grab people off the street, take them downtown, see if they have a record, if not, find something else to pin on them, like loitering. Offer a plea bargain, if they don't take it, force them by delaying the trial 4,5,6,7 times whatever it takes.

Ain't nobody got time for that shit. That's how you get a criminal record. How are you supposed to keep coming back over and over again, just to get fucked even harder. They system is fully stacked in favor of law enforcement here. It's a sham.

Like Steam?

Old 07-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #25838
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

If the senate is lost, he'll resign and get Pence to pardon him because he'll be impeached.

I would fully support extra judicial matters in this instance and I really hate that I said that, because it's not who I am.

Like Steam?

Old 07-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #25839
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwikShot
Wake the fuck up.

Every single time voters have had a chance since they put him in office in 2016, they have voted strongly against Trump. Almost all of those were when his poll numbers were much higher than they are now. He can try to steal it all he wants, it won't be nearly enough to keep him around.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #25840
wustin
College Prospect

I just hope Biden's campaign isn't ran horribly like Clinton's was leading up to November.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #25841
thesloppy
Pro Starter

'Impossibly stupid': White House skewered for strange stunt

“We made it so dishwashers now have a lot more water, and in many places, in most places of the country, water is not a problem ... it's called rain,” he said.

“And old fashioned incandescent lightbulbs, I brought them back ... They’re better and much cheaper.”

The president claimed he will be announcing “many exciting things” over the coming two months. “Things that nobody has even contemplated, thought about, thought possible ... with levels of detail and levels of thought that a lot of people believed very strongly we didn't have in this country.”
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #25842
Ksyrup

Kinda funny/fitting that Winn Dixie won't require masks.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #25843
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'd like to see him 'wind back' aviation and space regulations. I really feel like they have hindered progress...and profits.

Like Steam?

Old 07-18-2020, 06:05 PM   #25844
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
suggests to me that their "resisting tyranny" motif is all smoke and mirrors.

You are more charitable than I am.

They are lying to us. It's not smoke and mirrors. It's a lie.

I don't wish ill will on these idiots. They are Americans, and revenge is a very empty pursuit that ends up hurting us as much as them.

I just want to structure the government so they are incapable of holding power until after my grandchildren pass from the Earth.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #25845
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Keep in mind that it will be at least a week after election day before we have a clear winner.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #25846
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Did Trump actually do something...civil?

Trump orders federal flags to fly half-staff to honor John Lewis
Old 07-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #25847
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
'Impossibly stupid': White House skewered for strange stunt

“We made it so dishwashers now have a lot more water, and in many places, in most places of the country, water is not a problem ... it's called rain,” he said.

“And old fashioned incandescent lightbulbs, I brought them back ... They’re better and much cheaper.”

The president claimed he will be announcing “many exciting things” over the coming two months. “Things that nobody has even contemplated, thought about, thought possible ... with levels of detail and levels of thought that a lot of people believed very strongly we didn't have in this country.”

We live in a Clown Kingdom folks
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #25848
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Rubio posted a picture of himself and John Lewis, no, I'm sorry, that was a picture of Rubio and Elijah Cummings. Oops.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #25849
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cartoon villains aren't this evil.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #25850
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

It's really a shame when we have to point out no brainer gestures of respect regardless of who the president or the deceased is as something good that Trump did. This to me is as routine as checking my mailbox every day.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote