Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #2551
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
With my San Marino team I've been alternatingly playing a

4-1-2-2-1 or a 4-2-2-2 (swapping the DMC and a 2nd striker based on matchups or game situation).

This was more to maximize player talent than anything else. I find that a nice speedy attacking winger with pace, crossing and decent dribbling can really tear open a lower level defense and expose them. Especially with my fullbacks having the pace to come up and overlap with them - it can result in a lot of overloading situations.

I've actually been toying with the idea of making it more of a 1-4-2-2-1 though if I can find a nice sweeper-capable player. Cut down on the dangers in the back a little more, and I don't get the impression that my DMC is doing that much (need to check on this).
Won the promotion playoff in season 3, so im headed to Serie B, you gotta keep up!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #2552
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Goddamn. I was vying for #1 in C2C for most of the year, but think I'm going to have to settle for playoffs. The stud DMC/MC who I brought in on loan from my new parent Fiorentina got injured after just a few games. Kid was like 20 and worth $2.5mil. His passing and tackling were both 16.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #2553
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh. I always get nailed by injuries right at the end of the year. 7 weeks to my loaned-in AML stud. 5-6 weeks to my DL.

Ohhhh boyyyyyyyyy. It's on now. Kofi is back!!!!!!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-17-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #2554
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ohhh boy Blade.

San Marino vs. Catanzaro - 32nd match of the league season. Catanzaro in 1st with 62pts...San Marino in 3rd with 59.

Big day at the Olimpico in Serraville!!!!

OMG...

INJURY TIME...FREE KICK...GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

(of course I'm still only tied with them on goal differential, but a lot can happen in 2 games).

I deserved it too - outshot them 16 to 5, had the only 2 clear chances, and the only 5 shots on goal.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-17-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #2555
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Blade's comment is kinda right, In italy and england (at the top levels) you get to name seven possible substitutes on the bench, and use three of them
Old 06-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #2556
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I hate Catanzaro. They were my rival in FM 08 when I played as Carpenedolo.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #2557
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
One more question and I'll try to refrain for a while. How often are subs made in soccer/how many minutes do typical players play in a match?

As the other guys have said, it varies by league. A common set up is:

11 named starting players
5-7 named substitutes

The norm is up to 3 substitutions per match. They have to come from your group of 5-7 named substitutes. Once a player is substituted, they cannot re-enter the match. If you have used up all three substitutions, and a player gets injured, then you are out of luck.

So for the most part, players play the full 90 minutes of a match. You'll usually see subs come on either at the start of the second half or starting around the 70 minute mark, depending on how the strategy needs to be adjusted. It is not uncommon for no subs to be used.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #2558
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I hate Catanzaro. They were my rival in FM 08 when I played as Carpenedolo.

Hehe. Well I just hurt them pretty bad in that game vex. I'm sure they'll still make the playoffs, they may even hold onto #1 there, but that was a loss that just ruined their chances of clinching.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #2559
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Oh wait. Fuck me.

Because of the H2H record now (I didn't remember what my other game against them was), I'M NOW IN FIRST PLACE!!!! BOOYAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Prolly won't last, cuz I'll have to win out, which I'm probably unlikely to do.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-17-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #2560
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh wait. Fuck me.

Because of the H2H record now (I didn't remember what my other game against them was), I'M NOW IN FIRST PLACE!!!! BOOYAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Prolly won't last, cuz I'll have to win out, which I'm probably unlikely to do.
Ya, that H2H rule is a godsend, I clenched the last playoff spot that first year in C2C over a team with a +15 better goal differential just because i went 1-1-0 against them, that was such a nice surprise considering I assumed going into the final weekend I had to win like 16-0 to have a shot
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #2561
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Ya, that H2H rule is a godsend, I clenched the last playoff spot that first year in C2C over a team with a +15 better goal differential just because i went 1-1-0 against them, that was such a nice surprise considering I assumed going into the final weekend I had to win like 16-0 to have a shot

Yeah. I've got to win out though, because we're even on points and the #3 team is 1 pt behind. So I'm into the playoffs, but I'd sure like to avoid having to go through the playoffs.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #2562
miami_fan
Coordinator

Okay what am I missing? I asked my assistant to arrange friendlies for my youth squad but it does not happen.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #2563
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Okay what am I missing? I asked my assistant to arrange friendlies for my youth squad but it does not happen.

The AM will only arrange friendlies for your senior team, if you feel friendlies are necessary for your youth team then you will have to schedule them yourself. I dont usually do that, other then scheduling a yearly game for my senior squad against my reserves(which usually features mostly youth team players). Since youth league results ultimately dont matter, i dont worry too much about players being in shape for the first game unless they are on the fringes of the senior squad, and if that is the case they are likely playing in the senior team friendlies.
Demotivation
Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #2564
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Can I have an assistant set up training and if so how?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #2565
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Can I have an assistant set up training and if so how?

The more experienced guys will have more detailed answers I'm sure, but I set my training up based on this post by whomario:

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - Alright boyz, here we go! FM 2010 first impressions thread
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #2566
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
The more experienced guys will have more detailed answers I'm sure, but I set my training up based on this post by whomario:

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - Alright boyz, here we go! FM 2010 first impressions thread

Gracias.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #2567
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

WON OUT!!!

WINNER WINNER!!!

PROMOTION HERE WE COME!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #2568
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, with the Level 10 Mod for the English divisions I took Diss and moved them up to the Isthmian Division 1 North and was leading the division. The board refused to renegotiate with me so I tried to force their hand by applying at a higher level squad...turned down and then two days later another team, Birmingham City game calling with an $840K a year pay raise...needless to say, the dynasty for Diss is ending and we are moving on to a Dynasty for Birmingham City....
Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #2569
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Grats, MacroGuru
Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #2570
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I picked this game up recently too. I'm having the hardest time getting into it, its impressive, but almost too much as there is so much to take in.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #2571
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
WON OUT!!!

WINNER WINNER!!!

PROMOTION HERE WE COME!!!

Congrats buddy, which division did you get bumped into? I think C1B is tougher then C1a, at least based off the teams residing there in my game.
Demotivation
Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #2572
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Congrats buddy, which division did you get bumped into? I think C1B is tougher then C1a, at least based off the teams residing there in my game.

let me look after the C's game
Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #2573
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

C1B

Media Prediction in preseason is 11th. I've got money to spend on salaries though, so hopefully I can get some good loan players again and maybe even bring in some freebies.

How much tougher is C1B than C2? Do I basically need to upgrade anywhere possible?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #2574
sabotai
General Manager

Thanks to the constant bumping of this thread, I fired it up again. Started with my usual team, East Stirlingshire.

I'm having some success with this tactic (which probably sucks and would get destroyed by teams outside of Scottish Third Division, but anyway)

It's a 4-1-1-2-2

The DR and DL are set to Full Back - Automatic
The 2 DCs are set to Central Defender - Defend
DMC - Anchor Man - Defend
MC - Advanced Playmaker - Support
AMR and AML - Winger - Support
First ST - Advanced Forward - Attack
Second ST - Target Man - Attack

I was playing a 4-3-3, but I had a few good wingers and only 2 good MCs, and I signed a DC, DMC, MC player (but he's pretty much worthless at MC) that was really good, but caused me to have 1 too many good DCs, so I messed around with the tactics and came up with the above. So far I'm 6-2 (no draws) with a +9 GD. The best I can expect to do is 2nd place (currently 3rd), however, since Livingston is running away with the League (they are 8-0-0 with +20 GD)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #2575
Radii
Head Coach

So what do I need to worry about in my first offseason... I forget if I need to manually adjust everyone's training while they're away on vacation, etc.

I managed to win the Blue Square South in my first season with Woking, not a massive accomplishment, as we were picked 3rd. The best thing that I did was to use my only available long term loan(the team had one in place already when I started) on a keeper who was easily 4 or 5 times better than anyone I had on the squad when the year started. Without that we struggle like crazy. I had 2 or 3 short term loaners on the team at all times throughout the year and other than that basically didn't do anything to screw up the team.

I'm looking forward to my second season though I have no idea what to expect. We had no transfer budget this year and lost a lot of money, though the board never cared since we were winning. I re-signed the guys that were on the pitch most every match, but let a lot of my backup's contracts expire, something that might be an issue if I end up with a $0 transfer budget again next year in the Blue Square Premier league.

Anyway, I'm officially hooked on this again for the first time in a number of years
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #2576
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
So what do I need to worry about in my first offseason... I forget if I need to manually adjust everyone's training while they're away on vacation, etc.

No need to adjust schedules, the players wont be training while on vacation and when they return the pre-season friendlies will get them back in game shape.
Demotivation
Old 06-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #2577
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 06-18-2010 at 07:46 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #2578
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

When the players get back from their summer break I like to put them on a special fitness intensive training schedule for a few weeks. Then I put them back on regular position based training two weeks before the first competitive match of the season.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #2579
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
When the players get back from their summer break I like to put them on a special fitness intensive training schedule for a few weeks. Then I put them back on regular position based training two weeks before the first competitive match of the season.

That's what I use to do but in the end I have trainings based on positions, players are put there and it never changes.
Same goes for the tactic, I spent 4 seasons finding a one that works, now I never change it and buy players that fit that tactic.

Overall results doing that : went from BSS to premiership with bromley, won 2 premierships, 2 league cups, 3 fa cups, 2 CL.

I could use more house rules (current ones are just related to player scouting/buying) but I still find the game quite competitive as it is.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #2580
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Two games left in the League 1 season, we are in the #2 slot 5 points back of the table leader and 3 points clear of the #3 team. We play the #3 team at home in the finale.

The bad news, we are 1.3 mil in debt, and we have a whopping 3600 seat stadium we have sold out each game and we're still losing money.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #2581
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

In regards to making house rules to make it tougher, I've never had an issue with just playing the game as is. Granted, I don't check any forums to find out any special ways to get that great player. But even with my successful careers (I've gone from the bottom to the Premiership with my current career), there's always plenty of challenges. You always just a rash of injuries or a bad run away from having the board or the fan base turn on you in a hurry. The expectations increase as you go along, so you're never out of the woods by any means. That's what I love about this game. I feel like I have things under control in other simulations. I never feel safe in this game.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #2582
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Was messing around and playing as I watched the USA game on one monitor.

Drew my parent club, Fiorentina, for 90 minutes, and they scored the game winner in injury time to beat us 1-0.

Beat Rimini 2-1 in my first C1B game, coming from 1-0 down at halftime. 8/11 of my starters were loan-in's. I've got a pretty even squad, so that won't be the case every game, but it was for that game. Which I suppose should be a large concern.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #2583
cougarfreak
College Starter

Ok, if I purchase through Steam, can someone point me to where I can load in players faces, jerseys, etc? The last version I played, I had to do that.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #2584
cougarfreak
College Starter

Here's something weird, I d/l'd the demo and I'm getting no sound. Was sound included in the vanilla demo?
Old 06-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #2585
Qrusher14242
High School JV

im playing as Celtic in FM10 and am on a 8 game winning streak, but have Real Madrid coming up in the First Knockout Round of the CL. Dunno how i'm gonna win that
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #2586
MacroGuru
Coordinator

For the guys who have done this before...where do I put the logo packs, face packs and kits?

is it in the graphics folder or graphics/pictures folder?

right now I am not getting them to work I guess....

(Been playing without them and I want to increase the visual love of the game)
Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #2587
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Where do you get the logo packs and face packs?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #2588
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Where do you get the logo packs and face packs?

Found some here...

http://www.sortitoutsi.ne
Old 06-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #2589
Galaxy
Coordinator

I maybe looking at a new notebook in the few months, what kind of specs would you recommend to play FM 2010 (and 2011)?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #2590
sabotai
General Manager

So I had a match today with the Scottish Third Division's powerhouse Livingston. I was without my DMC so I had to use an MC that was Unconvincing in the role (I could have moved him from DMC to MC and gone to a 4-2-2-2 but I didn't want to disrupt my tactic). I set my strat to Contain, which I planned to leave for the first 30 minutes before I opened it back up, but we scored in the 15th minute and Livingston just could not get any shots on target so I kept it on Contain. That ended up being the final (1-0) as Livingston only managed 1 on target shot all game. Not only were they undefeated to this point, but they had scored 24 goals in 9 games and only allowed 3.

Big, big win for The Shire!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #2591
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
For the guys who have done this before...where do I put the logo packs, face packs and kits?

is it in the graphics folder or graphics/pictures folder?

right now I am not getting them to work I guess....

(Been playing without them and I want to increase the visual love of the game)

So this finally worked...graphics/pictures folder
Old 06-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #2592
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I maybe looking at a new notebook in the few months, what kind of specs would you recommend to play FM 2010 (and 2011)?

honestly, anything thats new this year will run it fine without any slow down I'm pretty sure. You really shouldn't have to worry about it. as far as 2011 as long as there isn't some kind of crazy upgrade to the 3d match engine you should be pretty ok.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #2593
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

I am running this on a 6 year old Dell Latitude D810 and it's doing just fine...I do miss the nice gaming machine I had (Mobo fried) and I will upgrade here soon, but this one does the job.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #2594
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

Get a notebook with dedicated fricking graphics. None of that onboard intel accelerated bullcrap.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #2595
whomario
Pro Starter

Won my first serie A title Was a weak year in terms of competition to be honest, but i´ll take it Had 1 real bad stretch, then went back to the drawing board and won 5 straight with a GD of 19-4.

4 in the back, 3 midfielders (middle one with defensive duties), then an advanced playmaker at AM and 2 strikers (deep lying and target man).
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #2596
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Here's something weird, I d/l'd the demo and I'm getting no sound. Was sound included in the vanilla demo?

Anyone?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #2597
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think sound maybe wasn't included in the vanilla demo. it's been so long though, i don't recall for certain
Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #2598
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
i think sound maybe wasn't included in the vanilla demo. it's been so long though, i don't recall for certain

If anyone else can recall as well, let me know. I want to make sure it's not on my end before I buy the game. Much appreciated.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #2599
cougarfreak
College Starter

The vanilla demo includes:

Quickstarts for the following countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales

Language packs: English only

Stripped assets: including no player pictures, club logs, competition logos, sounds, etc

It is available exclusive through MirrorFootball -

Found this on the FAQ over at the forums for their official site. Any advantages of Steam vs D2D? Are they both the same type of deals, just different companies? Either of them bloat you up with garbage you have to D/L to get their game?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #2600
bhlloy
Coordinator

Like a few others I got back into the game after reading this thread, and I think I just had my best result if not ever at least since CM2. My league 1 Colchester team knocked off a full-strength Spurs team in the 4th round of the League Cup, now we are through to the quarters with a good shot at making the semis.

Once you nail your tactics down there still isn't a video game out there that comes close. I was supposed to go to bed two hours ago to be up in time for the Holland game tomorrow but how the hell do I stop playing now?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote