Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2023, 01:16 PM   #26001
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
We had 51. About average for recent years, way below average from the 2000's when it was a new neighborhood with a bunch of young kids.

If/when we move, told my wife no way we'll move into an "active adult" neighborhood. I want to be in one with a bunch of young families.

Not me pal, BTDT, done.

I suspect if someone could dig back far enough they'd see the absurd number of kids we got for 2-3 years back when I really was "InMiddleGA". Topped out at 300+. Big ol' house, kinda spooky looking I suppose, one block off a small town square, we were hammered. Preloaded those little "goody bags" ahead of time because that was the only way to maintain any sanity at all, at least 1 premium chocolate + 2 midtier items + 2 or 3 bottom tier per bag.

It was fine ... buuuuuut I've also done it now, check it off my list, no desire to do it again. I'd line the approach to my door with Claymores (if that were the only sure way to prevent the hordes I mean) before I'd go through that again.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:38 PM   #26002
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Topped out at 300+. Big ol' house, kinda spooky looking I suppose, one block off a small town square, we were hammered. Preloaded those little "goody bags" ahead of time because that was the only way to maintain any sanity at all ...

Yup, that's us. We may have 60-70 bags left over now.

Good thing we purposely did not get any Smarties. I'd eat all the leftovers by now.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:54 PM   #26003
Kodos
Resident Alien

We had zero kids come.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 06:06 PM   #26004
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
We had zero kids come.

Michael Jackson would be disappointed in you.
Old 11-01-2023, 06:21 PM   #26005
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

this was our first real halloween in a decade plus, our old house was in a neighborhood where the population was static, and all the families had their kids age out of trick or treating..

Duke the Monster Dog was not happy with all the kiddies who came and rang the doorbell.. We ended up putting him in my room with me, the TV on, the google device in my room unplugged (it makes a chime whenever someone rings the door bell), and two other google devices in other rooms playing white noise so he couldn't hear them.. Only a dozen or so visiters, but that's still probably 9-10 more than we had in most years previously, so much so that we usually didn't get candy and left our lights off, since there'd be no traffic.
Old 11-01-2023, 06:38 PM   #26006
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Weather here sucked. Wife made us stay outside from 6 until 7:15. It was lower 40s/upper 30s, 20-30mph wind gusts, and just a touch of flurries.

We had a decent turnout, but we usually do.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #26007
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Michael Jackson would be disappointed in you.

Uncomfortable but well played sir.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:59 PM   #26008
tarcone
Coordinator

There is a browser based wargame, based on the VP Games States of siege series, called Israeli Independence. It is the 1st of the series.
CDG that is historically accurate in this aspect.

Israeli Independence

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:44 PM   #26009
Ksyrup

The only thing worse than having DirecTV and having to call in to customer service on a Friday afternoon (really, any day or time) is NOT having DirecTV and STILL having to call their customer service because they are continuing to charge your parent's account on auto-pay even though it was cancelled 2 months ago.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-03-2023, 07:14 PM   #26010
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

We got a whole bunch of trick-or-treaters even though it was snowing.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:26 PM   #26011
cuervo72
Head Coach

So ABC/20\20 is promoting this "Baby Holly" EVENT, which GRIPPED THE NATION 40 YEARS AGO.

I have no idea wtf they are talking about, can't recall it at all.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:34 PM   #26012
Ksyrup

I don't remember it either, but I was 10.

Here's the synopsis. The reason it's news now is her parents were ID'd through forensic genealogy last year (their bodies were found in 1981 but no one knew who they were) and then they traced DNA to ID the baby as a mother of 5 living in OK. I guess she's now telling her story.

https://6abc.com/baby-holly-murder-m...arie/12443517/

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-03-2023 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:40 PM   #26013
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm going down this rabbit hole wow. Yeah I don't remember any of this either.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:35 PM   #26014
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm watching (well, it's on while my wife watches) but I don't get why anybody cares. She wasn't lost! She knew where she was the whole time!

--------------------

In other news, who the hell names their kid after a potato?

edit: and of COURSE there was a fucking podcast on it

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-03-2023 at 09:39 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 10:03 AM   #26015
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

When I read the line about the dog coming down the driveway with an arm, I did remember reading about that ages ago.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 10:05 AM   #26016
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I thought that happened on twin peaks
Old 11-04-2023, 05:06 PM   #26017
GrantDawg

We decided to go for the nostalgia tonight for supper. Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper. It has been quite awhile. It is such the perfect comfort food.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:36 PM   #26018
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
We decided to go for the nostalgia tonight for supper. Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper. It has been quite awhile. It is such the perfect comfort food.

was there a finger in it?
Old 11-04-2023, 05:48 PM   #26019
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

c&p from my social media cause, well, dammit you deserve to know

I'm not certain but I'm fairly sure that the limited time Chick Fil A "caramel crunch" milkshake might just be the worst thing they've ever made.

Y'all know how I eat, how absolutely unrefined my palate can be ... but this is so utterly & completely artificially sweet that it's turning ME off. It doesn't taste much like caramel, it taste like ... chemicals?

And the crunchy bits may have been stolen from an old classroom chalk tray.
This thing is just ... a whole lotta nope.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:58 PM   #26020
Ksyrup

Sounds delightful!

The Wendy's pumpkin spice frosty was surprisingly tasty. Based on the light-on-flavor strawberry version, I was expecting the same with this one. But they went heavy on the clove. It's definitely a one-and-done - I couldn't eat that very often - but I liked it.
Old 11-04-2023, 06:09 PM   #26021
Ksyrup

Old 11-05-2023, 08:07 AM   #26022
Edward64
Head Coach

Always a good one.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:08 AM   #26023
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The Play
Old 11-06-2023, 08:14 AM   #26024
Edward64
Head Coach

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I boil my corn on the cob for about 10-15 min. I poke it with a fork to see if its done.

Below article seem to say its between 3-5 min. I'm pretty sure that's still too raw for me. But I'm curious now. So I'll have to give it a shot.

A precise guide to how long you should boil corn on the cob | CNN
Quote:
How Long to Boil Corn on the Cob

Boil shucked corn on the cob in salted boiling water until the kernels are bright yellow and retain a crisp-tender texture, about 3 to 5 minutes . Take care not to crowd the pot to ensure that the cobs cook evenly—4 cobs at a time in a large pot is a good rule of thumb.

How Long to Boil Sweet Corn

Most corn on the cob destined to be boiled and eaten is classified as sweet corn (there are also super sweet varieties). Sweet corn should be boiled until the kernels turn bright yellow, about 3 to 5 minutes. Corn on the cob purchased locally tends to be fresher than ears procured at the grocery store, and therefore requires less time to cook, so keep a close eye.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:35 PM   #26025
tarcone
Coordinator

cook it in the microwave in its husk for 3 minutes per cob. Cut the bottom off and squeeze it out the top. It is hair free and the best corn.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 05:40 AM   #26026
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks. I'll have to try that.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:49 AM   #26027
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

That Glenn Maxwell 200 was easily the most insane thing I've seen in Cricket, maybe ever in sports. Man couldn't run for the last 90 minutes and just made it a home run derby.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 02:58 PM   #26028
molson
General Manager

I smashed my phone....

Every time I do this (it's been a few years), the being-suddenly-phoneless landscape is a little different.

The Pros: I can't think of anything I lost - photos are all uploaded to Google Photos, I can get texts online.

The Cons: There's so many things you can't access without having your phone for 2-factor authentication. Including getting onto the Verizon website. I have to go into the store to even login and look at upgrade options and such. At least I hope they can do it. No other way apparently - I called customer service and they said they couldn't get me in.

I know I'm going to run into more problems trying to access bank accounts, my email, who knows what else. And work too - I've dreaded the day I had to switch my phone and deal with the IT people here. It seems I'm OK when I'm logged in at he office, but, I know, at some point, I'm going to try to access files and it's going to tell me I can't without pulling up the Microsoft Authentication app.

And our daily reliance on apps and GPS is pretty intense.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:02 AM   #26029
GrantDawg

Chili's burger is underrated. The lunch combo with fries and a salad for $10 makes me wonder why I don't do this more.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2023, 01:08 PM   #26030
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Chili's burger is underrated. The lunch combo with fries and a salad for $10 makes me wonder why I don't do this more.

I suspect the answer is the same I have: inconsistency

I've had good lunch combo meals there, I've had some that were just barely passable (and that only because of low expectations)
Old 11-08-2023, 01:34 PM   #26031
Edward64
Head Coach

Chili's (and AppleBee's) are so 90's and 00's.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:49 PM   #26032
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I want my babyback babyback babyback babyback babyback ribs
Old 11-08-2023, 02:04 PM   #26033
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The Applebee's here went under several years ago. Ended up bulldozed earlier this year with new construction inbound to replace it.

As though we need our 14th mexican restaurant
Old 11-08-2023, 02:20 PM   #26034
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you know me, you know I am NOT a shopper. Basically almost never.

I happened to go prowling around the net cause I was thinking about something and hit a one-day deal that was too good for me to pass up.

I love long sleeve Henley's. Comfortable, suitable for most occasions that _I_ ever go to. And I'm always up for adding a pair of jeans to my rotation.

Old Navy, online only (but can store pickup), today only: half price henleys. AND all orders 30% off EVERYTHING (even clearance stuff).

$140 worth of clothes for $84 (including sales tax)? And without going in the store do anything other than pick up my stuff?

That's the kind of shopping that even I will brag about lol.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:23 PM   #26035
Ksyrup

Quote:

I haven't been to either in years.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #26036
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I haven't been to either in years.
$10 combo lunch with your choice of appetizer and entree with side. I have to say it is worth trying. I would rate that double burger right there with Five Guys.

Note: This is not a paid endorsement. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #26037
cuervo72
Head Coach

Chili's came up in conversation the other day with the Younger Child and their girlfriend. Ours is next to a Texas Roadhouse (and really isn't all that old). Roadhouse is apparently typically hoppin, Chili's...not so much.

Which makes some sense -- steak! OTOH, we were trying to figure out what Chili's is supposed to do. I opined that essentially...they're Applebee's.

Wife and I went to our surviving Ruby Tuesday's the other day (we used to have two). Had to run an errand to Kohls and it's across the way so figured eh, why not. Yeah, we didn't really get anything fancy, but the food reminded me of a Friendly's meal. Oval dish with a small pile of skinny fries and shrimp for her, fish (and chips) for me. Rather pathetic looking. At least I also got the salad bar.

Wife thinks the booth behind me was scared off by a roach, fwiw. She thought she saw something ducking back and forth behind some wood trim in the wall (the one with the salad bar on the other side). I (and the booth behind me) also got sprayed a bit when the girl running the bar ("I swear they never sit this many people back here why am I so busy?") plunked down a case of wet glasses or something. (Woman behind me: "I just got rained on!")

They've uh, gone a bit downhill.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:47 PM   #26038
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 11-08-2023, 03:21 PM   #26039
Ksyrup

Texas Roadhouse is another place I haven't been since well before Covid.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:35 PM   #26040
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Texas Roadhouse is another place I haven't been since well before Covid.

Arguably the most consistently packed restaurant in Athens. It's across the highway from the busiest Walmart and it's pretty much near/over capacity from open til close.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:38 PM   #26041
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Arguably the most consistently packed restaurant in Athens. It's across the highway from the busiest Walmart and it's pretty much near/over capacity from open til close.
The one close to here is not that close. I've only ate there once, but I thought it was good.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:03 PM   #26042
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The one close to here is not that close. I've only ate there once, but I thought it was good.

It was busy pre-Covid, but having been one of the first to reopen seating here, from that point on it's been wall to wall people. Waits of 2-3 hours are not uncommon.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:05 PM   #26043
GrantDawg

I wouldn't wait two hours to eat anywhere. I have never understood how people do that. I would rather cook at home.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:07 PM   #26044
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wouldn't wait two hours to eat anywhere. I have never understood how people do that. I would rather cook at home.

I'd rather fucking starve than wait that long.

But the average person puts no value on their own time anymore. The _average_ person is a fucking moron.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:18 PM   #26045
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Who the fuck waits 5 minutes to eat at a Texas Roadhouse, let alone 2 hours. I make better food than that slop and my daughter literally said I'm a terrible cook to me last week. And she's not wrong I'm a terrible cook. That, golf and drawing are 3 things I'm still unbelievably terrible at despite Gladwellian hours of practice.

We waited an hour or so for BBQ the other day, but there was a brewery next door so we just put out name in, got some drinks, then just walked over when they texted.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:27 PM   #26046
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Who the fuck waits 5 minutes to eat at a Texas Roadhouse, let alone 2 hours. I make better food than that slop

Our TR is -- well, WAS -- one of the most consistent places in the area for a couple years. Hardly anything worse than "fine", pretty much the only "bad" meal there was the bbq. Past 3-6 months though its gone downhill at a rapid pace, the kitchen staff looks like they're all free on work release or something and the food reflects that.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #26047
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Who the fuck waits 5 minutes to eat at a Texas Roadhouse, let alone 2 hours. I make better food than that slop and my daughter literally said I'm a terrible cook to me last week. And she's not wrong I'm a terrible cook. That, golf and drawing are 3 things I'm still unbelievably terrible at despite Gladwellian hours of practice.

We waited an hour or so for BBQ the other day, but there was a brewery next door so we just put out name in, got some drinks, then just walked over when they texted.

I had a 10 dollaqr off coupon from there once and went. Got the basic steak along with a free birthday appetizer, the bloomin onion. The onion was overcooked and tasteless...unless you count gre4ase as a flavor.

The steak was also tasteless and somewhat gristley yet full of tenderizer.

I agree it's terrible
Old 11-08-2023, 09:13 PM   #26048
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, people still flock to Olive Garden, so...
Old 11-08-2023, 09:43 PM   #26049
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I mean, people still flock to Olive Garden, so...

Old 11-08-2023, 11:54 PM   #26050
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I have to drive like 27 minutes to get to a Texas Roadhouse. I don’t think anyone’s accusing it of being a fine dining experience but generally, it’s at least fine. The rattlesnake bites are pretty good.

Honestly, if you just put some rolls in front of me, I’m generally pretty happy with dinner
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote