Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2023, 07:03 AM   #26201
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Just ordered some Mellow Mushroom pizza for pickup this afternoon.

It defaulted to 15% tip and I changed it to No Tip. No problem tipping if I'm getting service inside the restaurant or getting it delivered. But it rubbed me the wrong way the expectation was 15% tip for pickup.

Am I an asshat?

re: tipping

Picked up the local free "newspaper" after dog did her thing. I normally toss that rag but since Christmas is coming up, I opened to read it.

Came to a full-page notice where publishing was sharing how to tip the delivery person. I didn't ask nor subscribe to the paper. 99% of the time it goes straight into our recycle bin. It's at least 50% local ads with a Publix/Kroger/Aldi insert.

I believe this is clear cut that I shouldn't be guilted into tipping for a service/thing that I did not ask for.

... but I still feel a little bad.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-22-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 11:45 AM   #26202
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We're going to New Zealand in just over a month, and in reading a bunch of "what to do/not to do" Reddit and other social media posts, at least half of the responses are, "There's no tipping at restaurants, please don't bring that crap from the US here, we don't want it."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM   #26203
Edward64
Head Coach

I was in Australia and what I read in preparation was "not needed, but appreciated".

So when I was in a small family owned restaurant, they brought me the check but did not see a place to put a tip, the final total was already there. I asked where to put the tip and the guy said no need.

I went back another day and it happened again. And I told him about "not needed, but appreciated" and he said that was BS.

I think ... if you are in a restaurant in a mall or touristy area, they'll probably welcome it. But what I saw in regular restaurants off the street, it really is not expected.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:47 PM   #26204
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Have a great time, @Ksyrup! We went there 16 years ago (just pre-kids) and it's still one of our greatest trips.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 03:42 PM   #26205
miami_fan
Coordinator

I have been fortunate recently to travel to places that I already know or I go with a local so I have not been hit with the "American tax" that tourists get hit with.

My favorite story remains going to London with my wife and sons to visit family in 2012. It was my first time in London for at least ten years and my wife and sons had never been so we decided to take the double decker open bus tour around the city. My aunt said she would tag along and met us downtown. Before she got there, I asked one of the touts on street how much it was for a ticket. They said it would cost me around £80 per person. My aunt arrived, I told her the price I was told. She went back to the guy to ask how much for the tickets. The guy told her the same price. She proceeded to let him know in a loud stern voice without cursing that she has lived in England for over forty years and she will not be ripped off like he does these foreigners. The tout quickly whisked us away from the crowd and we paid something like £20 per ticket which was about £3 more than I would have paid if I had bought it online.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #26206
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Moneyball/LOTR mashups are the best things on the internet.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:09 AM   #26207
bob
College Starter

We are looking at going the NZ late next year, so I’d love to hear a trip report when you get back. Are you going to both islands? If so, where are you flying into / out of?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:44 AM   #26208
Ksyrup

We decided to split the trip between Auckland area and Sydney area just so we can say we've been to Australia in case we never get back. I used more points to get RT flight between Auckland and Sydney halfway through the trip. We'll be spending about 4 days in each place
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-29-2023, 09:19 PM   #26209
Edward64
Head Coach

My Chase Credit Card warned me that some info about me was found on the Dark Web.

It showed one of my emails but incorrect email password. The password is not one I've ever used before.

Not sure what this means really but thought it was interesting.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:01 AM   #26210
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

If a person named "John Doe" is murdered, is he still listed as a John Doe in police records?
Old 12-31-2023, 11:08 AM   #26211
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
If a person named "John Doe" is murdered, is he still listed as a John Doe in police records?
If Tree Rollins falls in the woods, does he make a sound?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:23 PM   #26212
AlexB
Pro Starter

Talking of the woods, does Bear Bryant… I’ll get my coat

Last edited by AlexB : 12-31-2023 at 01:13 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:46 AM   #26213
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It was a rough 2023 for Cincy/OSU fans.

Bengals lose AFC Championship after a dumb penalty.
Phil Castellini tells Reds fans to fuck themselves.
Reds barely miss the playoffs.
Burrow hurt for most of the season.
FC Cincy losses the conference finals after leading 2-0.
OSU loses to UM and Mizzou.
Bengals miss the playoffs.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:25 AM   #26214
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:20 AM   #26215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure that I've officially reached the age where falling down is a bad idea.

I'm fine, but I have a feeling that whenever I wake up later I'm gonna feel every bit of where my body landed on concrete. Even 15 minutes later I'm already becoming more and more aware of exactly which parts of me got the worst of it.

Note to self: prowling around in the back basement in near dark is a baaaaad idea
Old 01-03-2024, 07:30 AM   #26216
Edward64
Head Coach

I was getting the trash can to roll it out to the curb. The area has a slope that we built a 2x4 path. The wood was wet but didn't think much of it was I had my grippy hiking shoes ... but I slipped anyway and slid a short way down the slope.

In addition to feeling like a dumb ass, my body/joints didn't quite feel right rest of the day.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:37 AM   #26217
GrantDawg

I am always falling. My job has me carrying a 30-50 pound pack on my back and walking around houses that often don't have the best landscaping. Recovery times definitely are slower than when I was younger, but I am amazed I haven't hurt myself seriously in any fall. I have hurt my back just stepping in a hole with out the pack, but somehow having a pack force me down (and sometimes popping the back of my head) has just brought bruises.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:34 PM   #26218
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Look up 'Defendant attacks judge nevada'
It's amazing
Old 01-04-2024, 07:59 PM   #26219
tarcone
Coordinator

Dude has hops

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:29 AM   #26220
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The dude sent the marshall to the hospital. That clerk bringing it with the kidney punches. Hilarious that the dude's lawyer just creeps up to the bench to get a better view and just stands there.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:47 AM   #26221
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Finally found an uncuut version

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-05-2024 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:33 AM   #26222
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

How was it decided that Panera was the white male Bible study capital of the Southeast? Is it in Leviticus? Doesn't matter what time or what Panera I go to, any time I grab a charged Lemonade with their Sip Club, there's always a Bible study going on.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:08 AM   #26223
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
How was it decided that Panera was the white male Bible study capital of the Southeast? Is it in Leviticus? Doesn't matter what time or what Panera I go to, any time I grab a charged Lemonade with their Sip Club, there's always a Bible study going on.

It’s ground zero of the insurrection
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:25 AM   #26224
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Golden Corral also. Older males, not the young Mormon types.

It's actually pretty smart, all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:11 AM   #26225
Ksyrup

I haven't been to Panera since COVID when they changed their menu and got rid of everything I liked (except the squash soup, I think). I also blame them for the proliferation of unearned tipping requests at every checkout in America. I hope they go under.

I haven't been to Golden Corral since my kids were under 10.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:14 AM   #26226
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I've lived in the South nearly my entire life and I've never set foot in a Golden Corral.

That being said, I do miss Quincy's and Ryan's.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:14 AM   #26227
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Golden Corral also. Older males, not the young Mormon types.

It's actually pretty smart, all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet.

nah carved meat and all the pizza, baked beans, and baked fish you can eat is where it's at!
plus inedible cake squares!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-05-2024 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:17 AM   #26228
Edward64
Head Coach

I remember Ryan's!

In my younger days, I could eat buffets all the time and not worry about weight. New world nowadays.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:19 AM   #26229
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I grew up longing to go to sizzler so I could eat whatever the fuck malibu chicken was....all because of that whip of a dip of mustard sauce.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:47 AM   #26230
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm, I haven't had any GC bourbon chicken for a while.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:50 AM   #26231
Ksyrup

Golden Corral reminded me of another place I haven't stepped foot in since my kids left elementary school - Cici's Pizza. Does that place still exist?
Old 01-05-2024, 10:11 AM   #26232
cuervo72
Head Coach

Apparently yes (and the Frederick location is still open), though we haven't been there in a number of years either.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:20 AM   #26233
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

There are so many Cicis pizzas here. It's like someone went to Pizza Inn and thought, "I could make this taste worse."
Old 01-05-2024, 10:26 AM   #26234
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I haven't been to Panera since COVID when they changed their menu and got rid of everything I liked (except the squash soup, I think). I also blame them for the proliferation of unearned tipping requests at every checkout in America. I hope they go under.

I haven't been to Golden Corral since my kids were under 10.

I would love to know how much money we spent at Panera over the years, as it was the best combo of healthy(ish) food between our house, work, and common places for your kids activities. But, whatever they have been doing the last 3-4 years between shrinking portion sizes, changing recipes, getting rid of really good options, and raising prices to an astronomical level should be studied in business classes. About every 6 months we will try it again and the food is always disappointing and the price is ridiculous. I remember last time, I think we paid over $70 for counter service and my daughter got the most pathetic sized sandwich I have ever seen.

Our CiCi's went out of business right before Covid (and the poor restaurant that took its place opened right before and went out of business immediately) and the Golden Corral and only other buffets that I know about around here (both Chinese) went out of business during Covid. Anyone been to a buffet since? I guess we have on cruises, but not standalone restaurants.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:48 AM   #26235
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
It's like someone went to Pizza Inn and thought, "I could make this taste worse."

There's still Pizza Inn in Raleigh, but not anywhere else I've lived for a very long time. I'm sure it's not great at all, but the nostalgia I have from going there as a kid has me missing it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:28 AM   #26236
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I would love to know how much money we spent at Panera over the years, as it was the best combo of healthy(ish) food between our house, work, and common places for your kids activities. But, whatever they have been doing the last 3-4 years between shrinking portion sizes, changing recipes, getting rid of really good options, and raising prices to an astronomical level should be studied in business classes. About every 6 months we will try it again and the food is always disappointing and the price is ridiculous. I remember last time, I think we paid over $70 for counter service and my daughter got the most pathetic sized sandwich I have ever seen.

Our CiCi's went out of business right before Covid (and the poor restaurant that took its place opened right before and went out of business immediately) and the Golden Corral and only other buffets that I know about around here (both Chinese) went out of business during Covid. Anyone been to a buffet since? I guess we have on cruises, but not standalone restaurants.

I went to a post-Easter buffet last year at a ridiculously overpriced restaurant. I ended up probably getting food poisoning and spending the next 2 days trying not to puke on a plane then still doing that while shitting my brains out at an all inclusive in the Dominican. Nothing like paying for an all inclusive and not getting to eat or drink anything most of the time you're there.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:24 PM   #26237
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
There's still Pizza Inn in Raleigh, but not anywhere else I've lived for a very long time. I'm sure it's not great at all, but the nostalgia I have from going there as a kid has me missing it.
They built one about 2 miles from us about 10 years ago. I was shockd that they were still a thing. We went once, and it was all you can eat bad pizza just as I remembered. Never went back, and it closed after a year.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:02 PM   #26238
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Aside from cruises, we have not been to a buffet in years.

And yeah, co-sign all of that about Panera. And I can't tell you how much I detest being asked for a tip at a restaurant where I not only seat myself, but I walk up to a counter to get my food and then after I'm finished, I don't just throw everything away, I'm expected to clean off my plates, bowls and silverware and place them in the correct dish buckets along with everyone else's gross plates. I used to make a mandatory bathroom stop on the way out to wash my hands because I'd inevitably get something on me from cleaning up. But yeah, sure, here's another 15% on top of the $14 I just paid for what amounts to tapas and a drink.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:31 PM   #26239
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah, CiCis is very much still around. We had a really good one for 2-3 years, it was in the sweet spot for the ovens I guess. And my favorite salad bar anywhere, as it most closely resembles Pizza Hut's old salad bar.

And I wish I could find more buffets, though honestly at the prices now (such as Golden Corral) it's just as well I don't cause it's gotten pretty out of hand.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:08 PM   #26240
Ironhead
College Prospect

I don't know if this is a new thing, but I noticed that the FOFC Off Topic forum is showing with 500+ people viewing it right now. I certainly understand lurking, but is that like 10 active users, 40 people lurking and 450+ bots?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:44 PM   #26241
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
I don't know if this is a new thing, but I noticed that the FOFC Off Topic forum is showing with 500+ people viewing it right now. I certainly understand lurking, but is that like 10 active users, 40 people lurking and 450+ bots?

Assume it's bots and web crawlers/spiders
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:58 PM   #26242
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like Cicis pizza, but I’m also not expecting much. I was sad when the one in Morgantown closed.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:03 PM   #26243
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Assume it's bots and web crawlers/spiders

My posts are just that popular.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 05:25 AM   #26244
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, 37 guests at 6:35am ET.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:39 AM   #26245
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Finally found an uncuut version

dude gets 13 new prizes for playing stupid games

Man who attacked Las Vegas judge in viral video faces new charges
Old 01-07-2024, 06:30 PM   #26246
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone want to play quiplash with me? The code is GDNV
Old 01-07-2024, 06:31 PM   #26247
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

i will sit here for 10 mins

go to jackbox.tv

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-07-2024 at 06:32 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 07:55 PM   #26248
Atocep
Coordinator

I now understand why an $80 steak is $80. That shit is life changing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:31 PM   #26249
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think our Pizza Inn left the mall in the early or mid-90s, but I would love to visit one now.

I doubt they still have it, but when I was a kid they had an appetizer with raw carrots, celery, broccoli, and cauliflower with crack cocaine-infused cheese that I still think about. The fact that I am still nostalgic for that cheese after like 30 years and it was a vegetable dish that a kid loved more than pizza is not lost on me.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:33 PM   #26250
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I now understand why an $80 steak is $80. That shit is life changing.

I spent $325 at the best Boise steakhouse on Christmas night.

Worth it, but, eating cheap for a while.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote